German Football 23/24 |

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Imagine you're battling relegation, you've just secured an important point against a big team at home, but you still take the time to make sure everyone's mental health is fine. Exemplary!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What a match and what a last minute goal by Undav :drool:

Just checked the result of City - Arsenal and I don't regret choosing to watch this match instead, not at all :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So Kaiserslautern reached the Cup final, Saarbrücken's dream to reach it as the first third tier team in more than 20 years has ended... Which makes it more and more likely that there will be scheduling trouble :lol:

Kaiserslautern might have to play relegation playoffs around the cup final - currently scheduled for 24th and 28th, the cup final is on the 25th, that doesn't work.

FortunaUtd

Kastenmeier has an excellent name for a goalkeeper but sadly he has looked poor for all of the three goals, especially so for this latest. Game over. There is no getting near these feckers.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Leverkusen - Kaiserslautern might be the most unevenly matched cup final since Schalke - Union in 2001....

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
Kastenmeier has an excellent name for a goalkeeper but sadly he has looked poor for all of the three goals, especially so for this latest. Game over. There is no getting near these feckers.
I don't think he looked particularly poor for the first two goals. I guess really good keepers might save one of those shots on a good day. But you shouldn't expext this from a lower tier keeper.
For the third one I'm a bit divided, because the pass into free space is a bit risky. However the CM(?) didn't really pay attention to the pass although he was making himself available. He turned his head a second time in order to see if he was pressed and that's why he missed the pass from Kastenmeier.

In the end it doesn't matter. Leverkusen is just too good.

Reactions: Cheimoon

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Leverkusen will win the bundes unbeaten, the Europa unbeaten over Milan and Liverpool, go into the german cup final with Legendary status all but theirs, and Lose. Bonus points if Kaiserslautern get relegated before

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Leverkusen will win the bundes unbeaten, the Europa unbeaten over Milan and Liverpool, go into the german cup final with Legendary status all but theirs, and Lose. Bonus points if Kaiserslautern get relegated before
That scenario would mean that a third league team would play in the Europa League. I believe this never happened before? I remember Aachen playing the old UEFA cup as a second league team, but nothing lower than that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That scenario would mean that a third league team would play in the Europa League. I believe this never happened before? I remember Aachen playing the old UEFA cup as a second league team, but nothing lower than that.
Yes. That's how Leverkusen manage to "lose" even in victory. Chance at immortality and they lose it to a third tier team(which is semi-pro in Germany, isn't it?). 50 years from now, when thinking of this season, people will remember them losing to Kaiserslautern

izec

Yes. That's how Leverkusen manage to "lose" even in victory. Chance at immortality and they lose it to a third tier team(which is semi-pro in Germany, isn't it?). 50 years from now, when thinking of this season, people will remember them losing to Kaiserslautern
Kaiserslautern are a terrible team. They wont lose, even if they tried their best.

FortunaUtd

I don't think he looked particularly poor for the first two goals. I guess really good keepers might save one of those shots on a good day. But you shouldn't expext this from a lower tier keeper.
For the third one I'm a bit divided, because the pass into free space is a bit risky. However the CM(?) didn't really pay attention to the pass although he was making himself available. He turned his head a second time in order to see if he was pressed and that's why he missed the pass from Kastenmeier.

In the end it doesn't matter. Leverkusen is just too good.
Yes Siebert was making himself available but then turned his head to check right when the pass was played and was caught offguard. Very unfortunate.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yes. That's how Leverkusen manage to " third tier team(which is semi-pro in Germany, isn't it?).
The third league is fully professional since it was founded as such in 2008. It's creation pushed the semi-professional regional leagues a tier down.

Before that reform there were three semi-professional regional leagues below the 2nd Bundesliga, now it's five regional leagues below the single professional 3rd Liga

verycute

Supports
Schalke
Leverkusen - Kaiserslautern might be the most unevenly matched cup final since Schalke - Union in 2001....
was about to say it should be Schalke - Duisburg in 2011. but then i realized that Union was in the 3rd Division.

i say Leverkusen will lose at least one game to West Ham if Alonso doesnt stop with the big rotations. almost cost them the games against Qarabag. He should rather start rotating in the Bundesliga now with 13 points clear. they need 3 wins. cant be that hard this season :D

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
was about to say it should be Schalke - Duisburg in 2011. but then i realized that Union was in the 3rd Division.

i say Leverkusen will lose at least one game to West Ham if Alonso doesnt stop with the big rotations. almost cost them the games against Qarabag. He should rather start rotating in the Bundesliga now with 13 points clear. they need 3 wins. cant be that hard this season :D
I don't think that's what almost cost us against Qarabag. In the away game you could see how tired the players were. Even Xhaka and Grimaldo were unfocused and had many bad touches. In general, our second suit is very good and a bunch of players (Hofmann <-> Adli, Frimpong <-> Tella, Palacios <-> Andrich, Stanisic <-> Kossounou, Tapsoba <-> Hincapie) can be rotated without breaking a sweat and I think Alonso is right to utilize that kind of depth. And I know it sounds a bit silly but the league still isn't secured. If we win the next two games and Bayern does as well, our first two match balls are against Dortmund and Stuttgart - two of the four teams we've lost points to so far and both are in pretty decent form themselves right now. Imagine we feck up not only the first but also the second match ball with our history as serial bottlers and what that could mean psychologically. We can only rotate in the league if Bayern drops even more points, IMO. I think a key factor will be to take off Wirtz, Xhaka and Grimaldo as early as possible when the games are decided.

That aside, we have the opportunity to set a record for the ages. Imagine we win all remaining games and get 94 points, that would be something really historic and unique.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That aside, we have the opportunity to set a record for the ages. Imagine we win all remaining games and get 94 points, that would be something really historic and unique.
You can still afford one draw. Current record is 91 points, 92 points would still mean a new record while being unbeaten.

Blackwidow

As historic as the 81 points that Klopp made with Dortmund in 81 - better than Beckenbauer, Müller and Maier in the 70s... ;)

2013/14 Bayern won the Bundesliga on match day 27 with then 76 points already in march. No losses, only 2 draws until then in Pep's first season were a 1:1 against Freiburg before the UEFA Super Cup and a one sided match against Leverkusen in October where the Leverkusen goal was jinxed.

After that win we drew against Hoffenheim on MD 28, lost against away in Ausburg on MD 29, lost against BVB at home on MD 30. The last four were won.
90 points.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Saturday might be Leverkusen's toughest test yet though as Union seems to have joined the Star Trek fleet.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
As historic as the 81 points that Klopp made with Dortmund in 81 - better than Beckenbauer, Müller and Maier in the 70s... ;)

2013/14 Bayern won the Bundesliga on match day 27 with then 76 points already in march. No losses, only 2 draws until then in Pep's first season were a 1:1 against Freiburg before the UEFA Super Cup and a one sided match against Leverkusen in October where the Leverkusen goal was jinxed.

After that win we drew against Hoffenheim on MD 28, lost against away in Ausburg on MD 29, lost against BVB at home on MD 30. The last four were won.
90 points.
I get what you mean! But besting those records becomes increasingly more difficult with every new bestmark, doesn't it? :) So if we get more than 91, I'm optimistic it will stand for a little while - and when it gets bested eventually, it will be a nice little reminder of this incredible season :D

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If Hansa can keep their lead against 10 men about half the league could have realistic relegation worries.

Hopefully Hannover win on Sunday, so it stays close at both ends. :drool:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If Hansa can keep their lead against 10 men about half the league could have realistic relegation worries.

Hopefully Hannover win on Sunday, so it stays close at both ends. :drool:
That would then probably include Hertha if they really lose in Paderborn now. And yes, I hope we can keep the race for 3rd place wide open. That we have to win against Schalke for that and kick them deeper into trouble... well... You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
That would then probably include Hertha if they really lose in Paderborn now. And yes, I hope we can keep the race for 3rd place wide open. That we have to win against Schalke for that and kick them deeper into trouble... well... You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.
The rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated. ^^
I've rarely seen such an undeserved victory though...oh well, 6 more games of Dardai ball.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
They won't admit it, but they secretly love all the drama and attention, so you'd be doing them a favor really.. It would be a clasic win/win situation.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They won't admit it, but they secretly love all the drama and attention, so you'd be doing them a favor really.. It would be a clasic win/win situation.
You definitely only think about their wellbeing... really admirable considering that you are a fan of their arch enemy. :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You definitely only think about their wellbeing... really admirable considering that you are a fan of their arch enemy. :lol:
I mean we all know how it is: win some.. lose some..

At the moment Schalke have the upper hand, they got to watch Dortmund choke on the last match day and may see them miss top four this year, but maybe next year Dortmund can turn things around and win the Derby. It all evens out.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Why wasn’t that a second red for Union? It’s a goal if he doesn’t touch with the arm.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Why wasn’t that a second red for Union? It’s a goal if he doesn’t touch with the arm.
Incompetence I'd say. Apparently the VAR showed the ref the only perspective in which you couldn't see it was intentional. I guess the VAR just didn't realize it

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wild call that. As clear of a red card as they come. Didn't even get booked
Wasn't there a guideline before the season, that they want to avoid two-fold punishment (penalty and red card)?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Heidenheim trying to trigger Bayern's PTSD by stealing Gladbach's goal music.

.. and it works..

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Wasn't there a guideline before the season, that they want to avoid two-fold punishment (penalty and red card)?
Wouldn’t this have been a second yellow instead of a straight red?

Think the ref just didn’t dare after showing red minutes before. Spared UB.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wouldn’t this have been a second yellow instead of a straight red?

Think the ref just didn’t dare after showing red minutes before. Spared UB.
I don't think Trimmel had been carded before. I don't know if the current iteration of the rules works this way, but maybe the ref argued that he tried to make contact with his shoulder and it was an accidental hand ball.

But even if that's the case I think that still would have been a yellow card as far as I know. So it's probably just another inexplicable feck up by the refs, rather than some carefully considered decision.