Germany have no stars

redevil2

Sorry, since when did Neuer become 'far better' than Courtois? His sucidial sweeper keeper tactics could and should have left him with egg on his face in this tournament.
well, he hadn't had he? You're either in denial or just not very observant. Who's having he last laugh? Only brave and confident keepers like Neuer would be able to do that. That made him very good and better

redevil2

This thread is unnecessary! Germany have stars in every player hence form a spectacular team to have won the trophy. Fans around the world are not very bight if they didn't recognise it. :)

Drifter

American
The Germans have stars ,just that Low won't allow any egos.You won't get them crying and wearing Schweinsteiger caps.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I think there are two reasons for this:

1. They don't go and do all the publicity stuff the likes of Neymar does.
2. Players like Neymar stand out because they are much better than most players on their team, but most of the German team are on par with each other with regards to their positions. E.g. Lahm is as good a RB as Schweiny is a CM...

I prefer it this way. Who needs media inflated 'superstars' when you have the World Cup :)

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
I actually agree with the clichee. They have a lot of quality players, but not one or two players who really stand out. They also did not create that many chances against Argentina, Algeria and Ghana. It's seems to me they would have been a lot stronger with a player like James or Robben. The have great players, but not the extra special.

Zen

Germany has never had a superstar full stop.....not how they work I guess, no one seems to go out of their way to be one, just mostly concentrate on getting the job done on the pitch. Superstardom doesn't concern them at all.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Germany don't have any star players. A star player is one who stands head and shoulders above his teammates, the best player and the one who claims the spotlight.
Germany don't have that.
What Germany have is a team, jam packed with world class players who would get into any team in the world but, amazingly they are all as good as each other, so nobody really stands out.

If you really must debate it, I suppose you could say there are one or two slightly weak links and nine or ten Stars.

Blackwidow

I think there are two reasons for this:

1. They don't go and do all the publicity stuff the likes of Neymar does.
2. Players like Neymar stand out because they are much better than most players on their team, but most of the German team are on par with each other with regards to their positions. E.g. Lahm is as good a RB as Schweiny is a CM...

I prefer it this way. Who needs media inflated 'superstars' when you have the World Cup :)
About no. 1 - some young stars are trying. But it is not enough that is spread internationally to now. And maybe you have to see the German market, too, who is very big because of the German financial situation - and different age groups. And there some of them are stars - for different age groups.

Germany for sure does not have any stars that could advertise in e.g. English TV and the normal viewer would know who it is. But there is not much players in the world you can tell this about.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Germany has never had a superstar full stop.....not how they work I guess, no one seems to go out of their way to be one, just mostly concentrate on getting the job done on the pitch. Superstardom doesn't concern them at all.
Lothar Matthäus disagrees with that, heavily, and it cost him winning the CL.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Star players is a relative terms isn't it. Germany collectively has the best players in the world, who actually play as a team.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Not if they can buy Robben and Ribery. They need players like that to win the CL, but they don't breed them like that themselves. They have really good players, very very good, but on club level they need stars too. There is defenitely a difference between these German players and a real star.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
You get what you deserve, nothing more. Messi is player of the tournament because actual "footballers" chose him to be better than every German player, not members of Redcafe. It's suddenly like everyone has to learn football from Germans now and any other player apart from Germany are shite. Talk about gloating!

The fact remains is that Gotze is not as good as Ronaldo or Neymar and Muller is nowhere as good as Messi. Crying or shouting in the forums is not going to change that. History will remember this as regime of Messi/Ronaldo, beacuse they deserve it, not Gotze/Muller.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
You get what you deserve, nothing more. Messi is player of the tournament because actual "footballers" chose him to be better than every German player, not members of Redcafe. It's suddenly like everyone has to learn football from Germans now and any other player apart from Germany are shite. Talk about gloating!

The fact remains is that Gotze is not as good as Ronaldo or Neymar and Muller is nowhere as good as Messi. Crying or shouting in the forums is not going to change that. History will remember this as regime of Messi/Ronaldo, beacuse they deserve it, not Gotze/Muller.
No. Media representatives vote for the player, not the players.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Nobody has ever said Germany have no stars.

Their squad is packed full of them ffs.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I think it's also meant in a way that you can't remove one player and make the team look considerably weaker. It's fair to say they could have still won without Muller, or Kroos, or Shweinsteiger.

They've got a gazillion "star" players but they don't behave as such, and none is dramatically above the others to such an extent that it absorbs most of the limelight.

Prufrock

I agree, Xavi was the main man, always was.
Absolutely immense player who despite all the praise he has gotten in the last years I think is still being underrated by the general public. His best years coincide with the ones of Barca and Spain.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Spain is a good shout. Iniesta and Xavi really didn't get the praise they've deserved. They were the main reason why Barca dominated Europe, not Messi. They have proven that with Spain.
Quite the logic leap there... They (two players) were the main reason, not one (Messi). Not to mention first Marcos Senna and then Busquets, and a host of other top performers like Torres and Villa, or Puyol and Alonso. The only logical conclusion is that several Barça players, including Iniesta and Xavi, along with others, with the comfort of playing in a NT with several team-mates, all together, have more impact than Messi alone.

That's a stupid line of thought to deduce that Messi wasn't the main reason behind Barça's success, if you had to chose one. It's also tremendously revisionist, as it's rather easy to say now that he's far from his best for quite a while, when the whole idea would be mocked if it had been touted 3 to 6 years ago. Just go to the threads of the time. It was fecking unanimous.

Last edited:

redevil2

Germany don't have any star players. A star player is one who stands head and shoulders above his teammates, the best player and the one who claims the spotlight.
Germany don't have that.
What Germany have is a team, jam packed with world class players who would get into any team in the world but, amazingly they are all as good as each other, so nobody really stands out.

If you really must debate it, I suppose you could say there are one or two slightly weak links and nine or ten Stars.
Totally agreed.

Incidentally there's an article today in the Telegraph by British Olympic and world Rowing gold medallist, James Cracknell (British and who follow Rowing know who he is)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...-one-tells-you-before-you-take-up-rowing.html

He talked about "10 things no one tells you before you take up rowing". Although it is not about football, what he said in point 9 is sort of applicable to the World Cup German team because it is about team work. James is funny about it but it does ring true how being in a team and there is no point being the best in the team because it is team work! One or two or three players carrying the team do not work in the World Cup as the Germans will proudly tell you. All of the teammates will want to be as good as others, no more no less. And they shine that way as a team.

Read:

9. It’s not an advantage to be the best in the boat
I very quickly realised that, with rowing, your dreams are in someone else’s hands and their dreams are in yours. It is the ultimate team sport in that regard. You win together and lose together.
There is little point in being the best in the boat. Instead, the ideal situation is to be guaranteed of a seat, but one of the weaker crew members. That way, you'll be swinging off other people's coattails down the course.
At least, that was my tactic.

Last edited:

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

But if Portugal had Muller and not Ronaldo we would be a better team.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Individual stardom s all about being flashy and marketing. Germans are not flashy.
Neuer is a bit flashy if we're being honest. The pundits clearly love him and not just because he is the best keeper around. For me he and Schweinsteiger are the main stars of the German team and the ones I think history will remember the most.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Sorry, since when did Neuer become 'far better' than Courtois? His sucidial sweeper keeper tactics could and should have left him with egg on his face in this tournament.
I can only really recall one time when his 'sweeping' was a bad decision that he got away with.

carayip

So your'e basically saying that the likes of Hummels, Özil, Götze and Müller are no superstars.

Why is Neymar a superstar in your opinion, and Götze and Müller not?

David Luiz vs Hummels?
IMO if Gotze was a Brazilian, he would start at No 10 instead of Oscar and be their superstar player and get recoginized as much as Neymar of right now . It's lucky and unlucky at the same time he was on a great team with many great players instead of being a standout player on a not so good team.
And Neymar got promoted so much because this world cup is held in Brazil and Brazil badly need their star and Neymar just happen to be their current standout player. Neymar probably wouldn't get into Brazil's starting 11 if he was born in any other past eras.

oriole

In Belgium we have a saying: " in the land of the blind, one-eye is king". Well, Germany is a country where almost everone has near perfect vision! :)

Lothar

FIFA

UEFA

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
At least he deserves his Golden Gloves.