Germany NT

NoPace

Hummels was the best player on the pitch against Liverpool, seems like you'd want him starting the 2020 Euros with his club partner at CB.

Bojan11

Hummels was the best player on the pitch against Liverpool, seems like you'd want him starting the 2020 Euros with his club partner at CB.
Him and Muller would have been useful. The latter obviously on the bench.

But would be hilarious if they continue picking Mustafi when he still is worse than Boateng and Hummels.

Charles Miller

Think it is the right thing to do. Especially Hummels probably still has it in him but at the time of the next WC, there'll probably quite a few players ahead of him. Better give them time now to get to play together instead of being to focused on the here and now. Müller shouldn't have been anywhere near this squad in the last 2-3 years anyway.

Part of the reason our squad was that good in the last decade was that the generation before them was rather weak. So many players like Özil, Müller, Kroos, Schweinsteiger and so forth were trusted from an very early age onwards which allowed them to develop. I think the new generation around Sane, Havertz, Brandt, Kimmich, Süle, Tah, Werner, Gnabry and so forth is just as talented but they need the same trust now. At the WC 2022, I hope for something like this:

--Sane-------Werner-------Gnabry-
-----------Brandt--Havertz----------
--------------Kimmich---------------
-Goretzka---Süle--Tah-----Kehrer--
--------------Ter Stegen-------------

Depending on how Arp develops, he could also become a contender for the striker spot with Werner moving to the right wing. Unfortuntely, the FBs are still improvised. The one great weakness this team has. Maybe playing Weigl there, Kimmich at RB and Kehrer at LB could work.
Eh? I thoughy Kimmich was full back and Goretzka was midfielder. Also Hummels is only 30. Surely could play the next wc?

CM

Big call. Boateng looks entirely finished but I would've thought it makes more sense to gradually phase the other two out.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
what's wrong with hummels? the other two are absolutely finished but hummels is still decent.
No pace and getting older/slower by the day. Better to phase him out now. Mm

Big call. Boateng looks entirely finished but I would've thought it makes more sense to gradually phase the other two out.
See above for Hummels. Mueller, unfortunately, looks absolutely finished as a goal scorer for a few seasons now.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
But would be hilarious if they continue picking Mustafi when he still is worse than Boateng and Hummels.
Mustafi hasn´t been called up since 2017.
Süle, Tah, Rüdiger and Ginter will be the first CB-options from now on.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Eh? I thoughy Kimmich was full back and Goretzka was midfielder. Also Hummels is only 30. Surely could play the next wc?
Kimmich is originally a CM who is only played at RB. Prefers the midfield role and has already played there in the national team. If Kehrer cuts it at PSG, playing Kimmich there might be the better option since Goretzka can't play the deepest position I'd say and Havertz and Brandt are better 8s than him. He was also already tried out as a LB and honestly, I think he's got everything needed for that position. Don't think we'll find someone with a better skillset than him while we have an abundance of players who are better CMs.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I really don't get why there has to be such a public final decision. Just don't nominate them unless they start playing well again. They don't deserve to be treated that way and you might need them in case of an injury crisis or you might want them back if one of them gets back to his best.

Considering how badly Löw himself fecked up at the last tournament, it's completely insane how he's allowed to shift the blame away from him to the players. He faced minimal criticism and zero consequences for Germany's worst ever tournament performances from the German FA. As if he isn't responsible for bad performances at all. Absolutely shocking what's going on.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I really don't get why there has to be such a public final decision. Just don't nominate them unless they start playing well again. They don't deserve to be treated that way and you might need them in case of an injury crisis or you might want them back if one of them gets back to his best.

Considering how badly Löw himself fecked up at the last tournament, it's completely insane how he's allowed to shift the blame away from him to the players. He faced minimal criticism and zero consequences for Germany's worst ever tournament performances from the German FA. As if he isn't responsible for bad performances at all. Absolutely shocking what's going on.
100% agree, I thought a squad was being announced, which was why there was news about Hummels, Boateng and Muller not being in the team. To a have a completely independent statement just for those 3 players, 3 who have done so much for the NT over the years, is a bit disrespectful.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
what's wrong with hummels? the other two are absolutely finished but hummels is still decent.
That's what i was thinking. Also we need some leaders and 'faces' in and off the pitch. Now we are only left with Neuer (and people just started to call for MATS).

I would even take Müller for the bench. Unbelievable to think that he's not even 30 btw.

deef

Right decision but wrong and disrespectful way to handle this situation!

There seems to be something going on behind the scene...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Right decision but wrong and disrespectful way to handle this situation!

There seems to be something going on behind the scene...
That was my first thought as it’s not the way to treat legendary players.

German and Dutch players can be very forthright and I wonder if this has influenced JL’s decision.

Reminds me of when SAF got rid of Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis. He felt they were undermining him and the development of the younger players.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
--Sane-------Werner-------Gnabry-
-----------Brandt--Havertz----------
--------------Kimmich---------------
-Goretzka---Süle--Tah-----Kehrer--
--------------Ter Stegen-------------
His favourite Hector can play in the 3.Bundesliga and he would still play as left-back :lol:

Too many friends at the DFB and no good replacements :rolleyes:

And come on he has made now a great smart decision....."the old players" are gone and "the young players" will need time therefore it will gives him time too :cool:

deef

That was my first thought as it’s not the way to trea
Reminds me of when SAF got rid of Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis. He felt they were undermining him and the development of the younger players.
Was thinking the same... I fail to see any other reason for his behaviour

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Big call from Loew. But that's quite a shock, they're still all top players.

Canagel

That's what i was thinking. Also we need some leaders and 'faces' in and off the pitch. Now we are only left with Neuer (and people just started to call for MATS).

I would even take Müller for the bench. Unbelievable to think that he's not even 30 btw.
still its a brutal way for your international career to end. when has the coach ever made that decision? shouldn't it be the federation or player himself? low should've been the first one out after the world cup shambles actually.

Last edited:

Schneckerl

Why was this done like that? Just not calling them up would be sufficient and would keep your option open.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Strong statement from Müller!!

Löw and Bierhoff are such cnuts...........the german press must attack them!!!!

And now i'm not anymore surprised that Özil has rejected every meeting and phone call with Löw!!!

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Why is everyone acting like idiots again? As others have said already, there was absolutely no reason to axe them publicly like this. On top, it's a very questionable decision. Simply don't call them up when others are ahead of them, but don't rule them out categorically.

soaphroniscuss

"I am so angry about this" - Thomas Muller

"When they came for the Ozil's I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one to defend me" - A wise man.

Maybe a little "Gaucho Tanz" will cheer you up Thomas.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Hahaha Müller now crying on Facebook. :lol:
Karma is a bitch you little twat, couple of months he was laying into Ozil and now gets humiliated himself like that, suddenly not so fond of the DFB anymore huh?:lol:

NoLogo

Kroos is another one who needs at least a time out from the national team. 1 WC wind and three CL wins in a row have left him thinking he is the best thing to ever happen to football it seems, too bad that his performances are much closer to second mid table team football than world class.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Maybe a little "Gaucho Tanz" will cheer you up Thomas.
Müller didn't do the Gaucho dance. That was Kroos, Klose, Weidenfeller, Götze, and Mustafi.
Karma is a bitch you little twat, couple of months he was laying into Ozil and now gets humiliated himself like that, suddenly not so fond of the DFB anymore huh?:lol:
Whatever did Müller say against Özil?

belanglos

Supports
Bayern München
Predicting Germany to struggle for the next decade or so. Not really convinced they have all that much talent coming through.
--------------Werner----------

Draxler----------------------Sané

--------Brandt--Havertz-----

-------------M. Eggestein---------- (need a busquets here ...)

Schulz--Rüdiger-Süle-Kimmich

--------------MAtS----------------

if playing a 4-2-3-1 (Müller could still play instead of Reus)

-------------Stindl------------

Sané--------Reus--------Gnabry

--------Goretzka--Gündogan----

Hector----Tah---Ginter----Kimmich

--------------Neuer----------------

Can, Volland, Müller, Hummels, Boateng, Maier, Kroos, Bellarabi, 2nd Eggestein, and more not even listed. We have enough players and great talents coming through.

Still this is not the way it should have been handled. Müller is 29! and it feels like it's over. He is still a great player and even when not playing he has a vital role.

Blackwidow

What bullocks. As if Özil did nothing to cause this. After protecting Özil in various press conferences prior and during the World Cup he kept quiet about the topic (what is fully ok when you are still player of that "club" - and Özil is not a close friend of him / you will not see now a big reaction of the other national team players, even the ones that play with them at Bayern - that is the way it is) and only answered to a question "if there is racism in the National team" - that that is not the case. The question was directly made like this.

His statement with translation

Funnily 3 weeks ago Bierhoff told to the press how important Müller still is for the national team...

...about some comments here... I do not know how somebody can be finished that was the second best scorer (goals and assists) in the league last season besides really starting end of November after the period with Ancelotti and an injury... - Müller has strengths and weaknesses - if you play him that he can play out his strengths he will be world class for the next five years as they do not depend on speed and muscle.

What does the national team do when the way with "full gas football" does not work when the opponent parks the bus... And when they remark that because of the class of the player with that way they are just one of many and others, like France or even England, have better players for that?

Last edited:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
So what? Özil was attacked by racist scum like the Bildzeitung and its readers. Müller said it wasn't like this within the NT or the DFB. Where's the problem? ... but no, let's not get into that again, it's been done to death and beyond.
You asked me to provide a source on the matter and when I do you call of the debate anyway, uhm okay. Müller knew exactly what he was saying, he isn't stupid and knows how to play the German public. The way he phrased it, it was clear that he's putting the blame on Özil and "the media". The debate was never about racism of the NT players but of structural problems within the DFB and his representatives - such as Grindel. He's attacking the same institution which he defended back then, maybe he should've been not so quick with his judgement.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
With Germany it's not just about talent, it's about force of personality imposing themselves on games and intimidating opposition.

For 2002 you had obviously Kahn in great form but Ballack also had a great tournament and on the outfield he dragged Germany through to the final aswell.

Then from 2006 onwards you had Lahm and Schweinsteiger emerge and be the on field managers and guide the team in difficult moments.

I thought that was one of the problems at last WC actually, all German leaders were at the back and struggling for form (Neuer, Hummels and Boateng), little in the front 6 as Ozil obviously can't do that role.

Of course you need players to grow into roles but looking at those perspective teams, lots of talent but do any of those midfielders have personality on the pitch like even Pogba does? Gundogan has been slagged off loads this season by some of the Man. City fans on here. Good footballer but I really can't see him being the heartbeat of Germany side in a major tournament anytime soon.

Maybe Kimmich being moved back into midfield might be worth doing.

Germany will still make plenty of quarters, semi and odd final in next decade I'm sure regardless of who's playing as it's well Germany.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
As others have stated it is truely stupid to just rule the three of them out. Don’t call them up if others perform better.

The way it is handled now (pop up unannounced at Bayern‘s training and tell them while at the same time blasting out a press release) just shows, that it is not about performances. What if Müller scores 25+goals next season and Hummels-Süle is a dominant CB pairing? You just don’t let them play for Germany?!

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
--------------Werner----------

Draxler----------------------Sané

--------Brandt--Havertz-----

-------------M. Eggestein---------- (need a busquets here ...)

Schulz--Rüdiger-Süle-Kimmich

--------------MAtS----------------

if playing a 4-2-3-1 (Müller could still play instead of Reus)

-------------Stindl------------

Sané--------Reus--------Gnabry

--------Goretzka--Gündogan----

Hector----Tah---Ginter----Kimmich

--------------Neuer----------------

Can, Volland, Müller, Hummels, Boateng, Maier, Kroos, Bellarabi, 2nd Eggestein, and more not even listed. We have enough players and great talents coming through.

Still this is not the way it should have been handled. Müller is 29! and it feels like it's over. He is still a great player and even when not playing he has a vital role.
When I was talking about talent, I was referring to U21 talent. You have a few very good players aged 21-25 and some fairly medicore ones. The teams you've just posted don't look anywhere near as strong as your glory years and i'm not overly concerned as an England fan.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
When I was talking about talent, I was referring to U21 talent. You have a few very good players aged 21-25 and some fairly medicore ones. The teams you've just posted don't look anywhere near as strong as your glory years and i'm not overly concerned as an England fan.
The previous generation also didn't top class when coming through :D

Currebtly we are not as epoilt as England with Sancho, Foden, Nelson, etc. but there are still some very good U21 players in Germany, like Havertz.