Recent Results:
Germany 1 - 0 Portugal
Germany 2 - 1 Netherlands
Germany 2 - 1 Denmark

Greece 1 - 1 Poland
Greece 1 - 2 Czech Republic
Greece 1 - 0 Russia

BBC TEAM NEWS

Greece captain Giorgios Karagounis serves a one-game ban after picking up his second yellow card of the tournament against Russia.

He could be replaced by AEK Athens midfielder Grigoris Makos or PAOK's Giorgos Fotakis.

Germany right-back Jerome Boateng is available after missing the win against Denmark through suspension.

His replacement, midfielder Lars Bender, will hope to keep his place after scoring against the Danes.

Blackwidow

The lineup will probably be like this...

Neuer
Boateng - Hummels - Badstuber - Lahm
Khedira - Schweinsteiger
Müller - Özil - Podolski
Klose / Gomez

Bender will be benched again. He did not do his job bad - especially with the goal - but that side was sometimes a bit shaky.

The question again is if Klose or Gomez will start.

From Bild:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Considering it's been Gomez for every game, and they've won every game, I don't think now will be the time to make such a crucial change.

I'd like to see Schurrle or Reus in for Podolski but I'm not seeing that either.

I fell asleep at the beginning of the Czech-Portugal game, let's hope this one is more exciting!

Blackwidow

Klose ? That would be a shock if it happened. The rest looks pretty much spot on.
Why would it be? Gomez is a poacher - Klose is more involved into the play. If Klose was the first choice prior to the Euros - but he was injured the weeks before the tournament and just coming back.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Have some of you even watched Greece in this tournament ? The last thing you'd describe is boring, they're not playing the most impressive brand of football but at the same they have nothing in common with the awful team of 2004.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Have some of you even watched Greece in this tournament ? The last thing you'd describe is boring, they're not playing the most impressive brand of football but at the same they have nothing in common with the awful team of 2004.
Not saying they are a boring team. I predict the game will be cagey. Both teams will not rush into attack sorta thing.

Neutral

BTV
I can't disassociate this team from the 04 team, plus they have Samaras. They've had their Cinderella moment, I don't want another one...

Honestly speaking...I don't see how Greece stand a chance tonight, two of their starting XI suspended, Karagounis and someone else. They don't have the best squad as it is...Karagounis missing out is going to be huge.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
That seems a fair comment to me, the only Greece game I watched was the 1-0 win against Russia but they dominated possession and had the better attacking chances. It was actually Russia who were pinned back in their own half for long periods of time, and this was a team beat the Czechs 4-1.

Did Greece look as good in their 1-1 with Poland or the 2-1 loss to the Czechs?

kps88

That seems a fair comment to me, the only Greece game I watched was the 1-0 win against Russia but they dominated possession and had the better attacking chances. It was actually Russia who were pinned back in their own half for long periods of time, and this was a team beat the Czechs 4-1.
Are you being serious? Just what match did you watch? It was the complete opposite of how you saw it. BBC has possession stats as 60-40 in favour of Russia. If you watch the highlights it'll seem like only one team was playing.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Russia certainly had good attacking chances as well, I'd guess as many as Greece created, but no clear cut chances. I'm certainly surprised to read that Russia had so much more of the ball. I guess I'm being over influence by the end of the game being dominated by Greece, in the last 20 minutes Russia seemed to lose their initiative and Greece mostly pinned them back till the end of the match.

kps88

:lol: You're taking the piss aren't you. Fair play, you got me.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
No, I think I just have a crap sense of possession stats, often when we play Arsenal I think we've been dominated in time of possession and it will be even.

Thanks for letting me know that, I didn't realize Greece were dominated so badly. But I really did think they had the better of the chances. Should have had a penalty to go with their goal.

I was expecting them to sit back a lot more than they did, I thought they attacked quite well, like kouroux said.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
goodevil is on a roll these days so any assessment he makes regarding football is suspect (no offence goo)
I was agreeing with you! :lol:

I'm no expert, I'll be the first to admit it. I was watching both games at the same time as well, so that may have had something to do with it. Sorry my sense of possession time is crap. Haven't been watching football as long as most of you on here.

I'm not sure how much of a roll I'm on, I managed to mistake one player for another watching a game, I'm sure I'm not the first!

But I spend most of my time backing our young players and telling people to have faith in the team we have, so we must be in real trouble if I'm a terrible judge of football.

kps88

It's nothing to do with sense of possession. You claimed Greece had Russia pinned back in the last 20 minutes, it was the opposite. Russia had 31 shots compared to Greece's 9. I'm convinced you mixed up the kit colours.

Blackwidow

The Greek full back...

In this scene there are four of the players tonight - Gekas, the Greek forward and Tzafellas for Frankfurt - Papadoupoulos and Neuer for Schalke...

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It's nothing to do with sense of possession. You claimed Greece had Russia pinned back in the last 20 minutes, it was the opposite. Russia had 31 shots compared to Greece's 9. I'm convinced you mixed up the kit colours.
I'm not surprised Russia had more shots, but none of them had any chance of going in. I didn't think it was that lopsided, though, I'm happy to admit.

You'd think being wrong about something was a bad thing, are we supposed to come here knowing everything and just agree with each other?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Greece will play for pens.

I don't think Germany should start with both Khedeira and Schweinsteiger but I doubt they'll change anything.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
So, it seems I was wrong and Greece were dominated 60-40 in possession and 31-9 in shots, are those the sort of stats that have 'nothing in common' with the 2004 team?

Was the 2004 Greece team that bad? Hard to win with 3 shots a game. I didn't watch the 2004 Euros, so I can't comment on that team.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
kps88

Just admit you thought Greece were in red.
No, I was just experiencing the 'home team' bias that so many get. I was hoping Greece would win so every attack of theirs seemed fraught with excitement, while I was hoping every Russian attack would go afoul, and when they did I was happy to decree the move had no chance.

In truth Russia probably deserved to win the game by some measures. And again I didn't watch all the game as I was watching the Czech-Poland match too, but from what I saw I thought Greece made the only really good scoring chances of the game. But obviously I'm bias and half-blind on this one.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So, it seems I was wrong and Greece were dominated 60-40 in possession and 31-9 in shots, are those the sort of stats that have 'nothing in common' with the 2004 team?

Was the 2004 Greece team that bad? Hard to win with 3 shots a game. I didn't watch the 2004 Euros, so I can't comment on that team.
I think even in counter attacking teams there are different styles.You can still play good football while using your defence to absorb the attacks and then counter.
Greece of 2004 was just a team sitting at the back, waiting for one or two opportunities to score from a set piece.Like Chelsea against Bayern, they were lethargic,boring and extremely lucky.
This Greece doesn't have the same midfield and defense of 2004 so they can't just park the bus like the 04 team

Zen

I smell a Germany smashing. They'll love this.

Got Gomez for a hatty, to score in both halves, Ozil first, both Muller and Podolski to score and Greece to win in ET or Pens. Badstuber anytime too. These are just £1 or lower bets, prolly put a 'safer' bigger bet on later, or maybe not.

Stretch

Germany will switch up a gear round about now. And with Karagounis out I cannot see how Greece will trouble Germany.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Been really impressed with Hummels in this tournament so far. Don't watch much German football but he looks composed and classy.

He's caught the eye of Zidane too according to an article in the Mail today

Polite, self-deprecating and generous, young Mats Hummels sat beside the tactics board at the Germany team hotel and eased old stereotypes to its edge.

Hummels had just lost at table tennis — ‘I have no idea how,’ he laughed — he has been mountain biking around Gdansk, and is about to start Steve Jobs’s autobiography.

As he said: ‘We have other options than just sitting in your room thinking about football. If you do that, you get weird about it.’

As Hummels spoke to foreign reporters in near-perfect English, another option was on view in the Germany media centre, where Thomas Muller was cooking risotto.

At 23, Hummels, of Borussia Dortmund, is nine months older than Muller. Since Germany embraced the planet at their World Cup in 2006 and Jurgen Klinsmann introduced a more expansive style, German perceptions have altered.

Culturally there is change, as seen in names such as Mesut (Ozil), Mario (Gomez) and Jerome (Boateng); and when Hummels mentioned ‘machines’ and ‘efficiency’, it was in reference to first England and then Greece.

It is such that Hummels was asked about Germany being ‘fun’, a question Lothar Matthaus may never have encountered.

‘It is different to before, because we do not have very many “senior” players,’ Hummels replied. ‘Only Miro Klose is over 30. The rest are younger — even our captain, Philipp Lahm, is 28.

‘They are still young. They do not feel like they are something special. Of course, they are the best players in Germany, but as people we are all at the same level.’

So far, manager Joachim Low’s meritocracy is working: Germany won all 10 qualifiers and are the only team to reach the last eight with three group victories. Hummels has played in all three, confirming his growing reputation as an elegant centre half. The term libero is back in employment.

Hummels began his career at Bayern Munich, where his father Hermann was a youth coach, but made only one senior appearance before moving to Dortmund. There he has won the Bundesliga for the past two seasons, but sees the Germany team dominated by Bayern. He stressed domestic rivalry ‘doesn’t come into play with the national side’.

Still, politics exist. It had been thought a German quarter-final would be of historic interest because Russia or Poland were deemed likely opponents. As it is, it is Greece, it is Euro-debt, it is Angela Merkel. But is it Greek revenge?

‘I don’t think so,’ Hummels said, before adding: ‘It could be.’ And then: ‘But it’s just sport. I think it will be like the Champions League final, Bayern v Chelsea. It will be very defensive.

‘It’s important we are not as slow as we were in the second half against Denmark. They are not spectacular, but they can defend and they don’t need so many chances to score. They are effective.’

German confidence is understandable and yet there has been criticism at home. At first Hummels countered the idea of Germany’s defence being its weakest link — ‘I can assure you, it isn’t; right now I am ready to become part of a German wall.’ But rather than dismissing the overall appraisal, he understood it.

‘That’s not so wrong,’ he said. ‘We needed some luck against Portugal and again against Denmark. We also had a serious situation against the Netherlands. If Robin van Persie scores after seven minutes we have a problem. That’s why I talk about the details.’

The issue of detail was first raised when England, who could meet Germany in the semi-final, came up.

Hummels immediately referred to the last World Cup and Germany’s 4-1 destruction of England in Bloemfontein, but not in a triumphant way.

‘It’s detail — you can’t say Germany’s better than England, because if the goal from Frank Lampard had counted maybe England would have made it. For the five or 10 minutes after England scored it was very tight. England could have won that game.’

He was courteous again when taken back one year earlier when Hummels was part of the German Under 21 team that beat England 4-0 in the European Championship final.

Five of that side — Manuel Neuer, Hummels, Boateng, Sami Khedira and Ozil — are regulars in Low’s starting XI while others are in the squad. For England there is James Milner and Theo Walcott. ‘Joe Hart would have played if he had not been booked,’ added Hummels.

A final question of the Dortmund man will boost Manchester United. How good is Shinji Kagawa?

‘We’re very sad he left. He’s fast and it makes no difference if he uses his left or right foot. I’ve not seen such a good player often.’

It is a compliment others are paying Hummels. When Zinedine Zidane was asked to nominate one player who has impressed him so far, he said: ‘Mats Hummels.’