Gerontocracy

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
This is actually quite a disgraceful thread, just because someone's old doesn't mean, I've forgotten what I was going to say, yes a thread, it's not a thread. Disgraceful.

led_scholes

Well, we have to take into consideration that being 65 today is far different than 50 or 100 years ago, and like it or not, we have to get used to see more and more old people in our works in the future, at least in Europe and Japan, so gerontocracy will probably be an issue for many industries and not just in politics. I do not think that most of Gen Y will ever be pensioners, but at least we will dominate!

jeff_goldblum

I can't remember who it was who said that there should be no surprise that a generation who have little real prospect of acquiring significant (if any) capital don't hold Capitalism in high esteem. By the same token, there should be no surprise that a generation whose opinions and concerns are given little representation in existing democratic institutions start to become disillusioned with them.

Sweet Square

I can't remember who it was who said that there should be no surprise that a generation who have little real prospect of acquiring significant (if any) capital don't hold Capitalism in high esteem. By the same token, there should be no surprise that a generation whose opinions and concerns are given little representation in existing democratic institutions start to become disillusioned with them.
Completely agree. Reminds of the quote from the economist Mark Blyth - ''The hamptons isn't a defensible position''

One of the pillars of democracy in a capitalist system is it's ability to reproduce its class structure, doing this by offering a buy in with such things as housing and some form of politically representation(Although these things only become a reality through class struggles etc etc). With these avenues becoming more cut off and only opening to a ever smaller number of people it's as you said no surprised people are feeling disillusioned.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years because imo the Corbyn/Sanders era was pretty much the last chance to get reforms.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Its not just that, we have leaders who are out of touch with vast swathes of the population, partly because they are so much older, and partly because they are all upper class and very wealthy, how the feck are they supposed to make decisions that shape every aspect of our lives when they have no experience at all in how the vast vast majority of us live?

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Its not just that, we have leaders who are out of touch with vast swathes of the population, partly because they are so much older, and partly because they are all upper class and very wealthy, how the feck are they supposed to make decisions that shape every aspect of our lives when they have no experience at all in how the vast vast majority of us live?
This would mostly suit the conservatives here in Norway. But I agree, the lack of any real life experience and a life outside the political sphere among the vast majority of the members of parliament is a massive issue. Most politicans don't even speak to normal people anymore, it's all comms people. If they actually speak to normal people it's all a prepolished nonsense message anyway. Politics has in many ways become a bubble on the fringe of society.

This, and way to many oldies of course, is just one of a bunch of issues with modern politics.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
This would mostly suit the conservatives here in Norway. But I agree, the lack of any real life experience and a life outside the political sphere among the vast majority of the members of parliament is a massive issue. Most politicans don't even speak to normal people anymore, it's all comms people. If they actually speak to normal people it's all a prepolished nonsense message anyway. Politics has in many ways become a bubble on the fringe of society.

This, and way to many oldies of course, is just one of a bunch of issues with modern politics.
We pretend to be a democracy, but essentially we are still governed by a ruling class, oxbridge PPE graduates make up almost the entirety of government, and the political media. Its no wonder nothing changes, why would it? Its great for them, time for a revolution I think ;)

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Doesn't that graph just show that every generation has become less and less satisfied?
No it shows that Baby Boomers and the Interwar generation are as satisfied. 51% for Baby Boomers at the start and end, 55% for the interwar generation at the start and end.

Ridiculously misleading scales, though. What looks like a significant change is barely a few %. Gen X's decline from 50% to 48% is just on the margins of statistical significance. And joining together 4000 surveys of different questions which were asked over inconsistent time periods and inconsistent countries into one global figure without a statistical model to tie them together is...not standard practice, if we're being generous. It would be better if they used fewer data sources with more rigourous standards of reliability and validity. Millennials in some regions like democracies more, others less, that jumbled up figure provides very little insight into worldwide generational shifts.

In their own report they said:
In recent years, discussions of youth attitudes to democracy have failed to reach a consensus. In part, this is due to differences between scholars in their choice of survey sources, country coverage, and periods of observation. The wide variety of survey sources now available for comparative analysis – with over 43 different sources identified by this study alone – can generate widely varying impressions of individual country and regional trends
Joining them together in this way doesn't resolve those issues but stacks them on top of other problems.

Sweet Square

Dear god, why?

If you saw someone walking their dog, & the dog was of the mental condition as Dianne, you would think about alerting the authorities about abuse of that animal.
While I hate the whole it's beyond politics shtick, it really is when we are talking about people like Feinstein(Or even the likes of Biden and Trump). These people simply not have the mental and physical capabilities to do this job.

Also no one should be working at this age.

Plymouth Red

it’s weird that you would never see someone 70+ running a company yet it’s becoming normal for them to run an entire country.
Not bad for an old fella....

Warren Edward Buffett is an American investor, business tycoon, philanthropist, and the chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. He is considered one of the most successful investors in the world and has a net worth of over US$85.6 billion as of December 2020, making him the world's fourth-wealthiest person. Wikipedia
Born: 30 August 1930 (age 90 years), Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Net worth: US$ 85.6 billion (December 2020)

tombombadil

Actually, it is an oligarchy. Ruled by the ruling class of haves over the have nots.

And it is true that there is a class war going on right now. The rich have rigged the economy for themselves against the poor. Millennials have a point when they complain about how shitty the world is today. Boomers wouldn't realise it because they didn't have it as bad in their day so they take everything for granted.