Gerrard Confirms He's Slipping Off

crossy1686

career ending
Really? Who is going to start ahead of him @ LA Galaxy?
Someone who is fitter.

Beckham didn't even play all game every game when he went there and people only went to see Galaxy for him. To labour my point, Gerard would get just as many games at Liverpool as he would elsewhere, especially with cup runs.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Someone who is fitter.

Beckham didn't even play all game every game when he went there and people only went to see Galaxy for him. To labour my point, Gerard would get just as many games at Liverpool as he would elsewhere, especially with cup runs.
Given the EPL is more demanding I don't think he would, I'm also sure the conversation would have included the fact that Liverpool will in the summer be after a significant signing in midfield (which is why Gerrard would be seeing more bench time)

EDIT: I Suspect his involvement would be similar to Lampard this season.

crossy1686

career ending
Given the EPL is more demanding I don't think he would, I'm also sure the conversation would have included the fact that Liverpool will in the summer be after a significant signing in midfield (which is why Gerrard would be seeing more bench time)

EDIT: I Suspect his involvement would be similar to Lampard this season.
Perhaps you're right but Lampard has played a part in 15 games this season scoring 5 goals and is probably going to win another Premier League medal this year or at least some silverware. Gerrard could do the exact same for a club like City or Chelsea but he doesn't want to. Instead he's going to the MLS (where he will be paid a lot less than he would in England) where he will win nothing worth mentioning. When he looks back at his career after he retires he won't even factor into his achievements what he did in the States.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Perhaps you're right but Lampard has played a part in 15 games this season scoring 5 goals and is probably going to win another Premier League medal this year or at least some silverware. Gerrard could do the exact same for a club like City or Chelsea but he doesn't want to. Instead he's going to the MLS (where he will be paid a lot less than he would in England) where he will win nothing worth mentioning. When he looks back at his career after he retires he won't even factor into his achievements what he did in the States.
Gerrard's game was often based on his pace and power in his ability to burst forward and change a game in an instant. He's largely lost that, and is looking more and more past it.

Lampard's strongest feature has always been his frightening consistency in scoring from midfield. He's continuing to do that now. I don't think the direct comparison necessarily works between the two.

Cassidy

I'm not saying he is right/wrong to go to MLS. My comment was aimed at the fact that he would play alot more football in the MLS or another league than in the EPL for any top team (he may play alot more if he moved to a lower league team) but I don' think he would ever do that. Similarly I don't think he would play for any of Liverpools "title rivals" I put that in quotatioins for obvious reasons, we all know Liverpool are not title contenders.

I suspect along with many things will be an easier more relaxed lifestyle he could have in LA etc, it wouldn't just be football that would be the deciding factor there, its basically semi retirement.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm not saying he is right/wrong to go to MLS. My comment was aimed at the fact that he would play alot more football in the MLS or another league than in the EPL for any top team (he may play alot more if he moved to a lower league team) but I don' think he would ever do that. Similarly I don't think he would play for any of Liverpools "title rivals" I put that in quotatioins for obvious reasons, we all know Liverpool are not title contenders.

I suspect along with many things will be an easier more relaxed lifestyle he could have in LA etc, it wouldn't just be football that would be the deciding factor there, its basically semi retirement.
This exactly the point I was getting at. He's giving up essentially when he could have easily picked up a few more trophies if he had the bottle to stick around.

Cassidy

This exactly the point I was getting at. He's giving up essentially when he could have easily picked up a few more trophies if he had the bottle to stick around.
I don't really think its giving up. Like I said why would he go and play for City etc hes a one club EPL player and he should leave it that way. At the same time, if Liverpool are going to splash on a new shinny CM toy and he is the one to be sacrificed then is he going to be happy warming the bench more often than not and be a bit part player? I wouldn't say giving a no to that decision is giving up.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
A rejected line from John Lennon's classic Imagine there. Apparently it was considered too fantastical compared to the prospect of there being no religion, no possessions, no countries, and everyone living in peace.
:lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He's bound to win the FA cup before he leaves isn't he? Written in the stars etc.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Average....But the BBC are telling a different story.

All of it is about Gerrard
He scored the two goals that won the match. He's created the news story of the week.

What do they talk about, Coutinho's haircut?

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
He scored the two goals that won the match. He's created the news story of the week.

What do they talk about, Coutinho's haircut?
Oh come on! Is this what we're gonna hear before and after every single Liverpool game between now and May??

And as for the, "he dragged them through the match by the scruff of the neck yet again" comment the BBC made after the match, thats bollix. He was all over the place in the 1st half

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Steven Gerard's birthday is the same day as the FA Cup Final! What a send off it would be if someone bought him a ticket.
Imagine he slipped to let Rooney in to get the winner in the last minute? That would be pure brilliant.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Oh come on! Is this what we're gonna hear before and after every single Liverpool game between now and May??

And as for the, "he dragged them through the match by the scruff of the neck yet again" comment the BBC made after the match, thats bollix. He was all over the place in the 1st half
He was the match winner in a very close contest.

It's often a lazy retort against rival fans but that sounds a bit bitter.

.Rossi

He was the match winner in a very close contest.

It's often a lazy retort against rival fans but that sounds a bit bitter.
Bitter? Which part?

He was awful in that first half.....2nd half, he had more space in their half and saw more of the ball and made good use of it.

But can you tell me, with a straight face, that he "dragged you by the scruff of the neck" through that match?

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
If every match is going to be about Gerrard between now and May, I may just stop watching.
Brentan cant play him that often cos of his excuse about limiting his games. Its going to be a right laugh if they play crap without him and win all the time with him.....some pressure on Brentan then.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Bitter? Which part?

He was awful in that first half.....2nd half, he had more space in their half and saw more of the ball and made good use of it.

But can you tell me, with a straight face, that he "dragged you by the scruff of the neck" through that match?
Hyperbole much?

Irrational.

What are the chances of a U-turn?

If today is anything to go by, Liverpool are still pretty reliant on Captain Fantastic.

.Rossi

No. According to the Caf we play better without him, he's a waste of space and is way past it.
You have looked better without him this season according to my mate.
He's a Liverpool fan.

I don't really know...All I know is that he produced one of the worst performances ever, by a Liverpool player against United, this season

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
You have looked better without him this season according to my mate.
He's a Liverpool fan.

I don't really know...All I know is that he produced one of the worst performances ever, by a Liverpool player against United, this season
I take it you've watched maybe three football matches between us in your entire life if you think that was one of the worst performances ever?

.Rossi

It wasn't good, but it was certainly nowhere near the worst one of our players has performed against you.
Was up there...Maybe not David James or Dudek territory but, it was shocking to say the least
Even now, I can not believe how bad he was. Especially considering who he is, that he's the captain and that he always raises his game against us.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Was up there...Maybe not David James or Dudek territory but, it was shocking to say the least
Even now, I can not believe how bad he was. Especially considering who he is, that he's the captain and that he always raises his game against us.
In the same game there were worse players... He was poor (it wasn't a shocking performance, certainly not anywhere near the worst of all time against you), yet still produced two or three fantastic passes during the match.