Get behind the manager and club

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Gloryhunters vs Recognition seekers, that should be a Reality TV show.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So much so that they have turned to the anti Christ of 'pretty football', Jose Mourinho.
That Jose has more points and more goals scored than Ole. In less than a,year in charge. So what does that say about our manager who you defend this much?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well said.

They don't want progress. They want unrealistic instant success. Glory hunters who wouldn't even be United fans if they were born 25 years later most of them.
Aaand here it is.....i was waiting for that ultimate weapon.
It reminds me when kids are arguing and then when one kid doesn't know what to say anymore he says: "hm, hm......well you are stupid"

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What's wrong in people saying Ole should be sacked. It's their opinion and you can't force them to live by your rules of being a proper fan. It's not like what they say on here has any effect unless Ed is reading the Caf
Because he doesn't deserve to be sacked. This strange season has barely got going yet and we're right up there in the top 4 hunt. And his only full completed season so far we came 3rd. Is that sackable?

jamesjimmybyrondean

Aaand here it is.....i was waiting for that ultimate weapon.
It reminds me when kids are arguing and then when one kid doesn't know what to say anymore he says: "hm, hm......well you are stupid"
It's a bit annoying to see that when we've all stuck through these past 7 years.

RUCK4444

It's a bit annoying to see that when we've all stuck through these past 7 years.
Not if the same posters were here calling for every one of those managers to be sacked as soon as the going get's tough though.

It's a weak fan mentality to want to throw your toys out constantly. I mean this place is embarrassing whenever we have a remotely bad performance, imagine filling Old Trafford with fans who have that response?

It's just not support when it's that jaded and negative. The clue is in the word itself 'Support' :lol:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Because he doesn't deserve to be sacked. This strange season has barely got going yet and we're right up there in the top 4 hunt. And his only full completed season so far we came 3rd. Is that sackable?
I've already said that we should wait till December and see where we are at and that has been my stance even though I don't rate Ole. But if other people think he deserves to be sacked that's their opinion and you can disagree to it. But this thread looks like an attempt to get everybody to agree to your own opinion

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
There are no glory hunters here.
Get real, no glory hunters would remain supporting and discussing United on a forum for 7 years after Sir Alex left the club. The more appropriate term would be stress hunter.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I've already said that we should wait till December and see where we are at and that has been my stance even though I don't rate Ole. But if other people think he deserves to be sacked that's their opinion and you can disagree to it. But this thread looks like an attempt to get everybody to agree to your own opinion
They wanted him gone after our 3rd game. They don't deserve to be treated seriously.

Same fans who probably wanted him gone well before we lost to Burnley in January but then were dancing for joy after Leicester on final day when we came 3rd. The league table doesn't really matter after 8 games. It matters after 38.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Not that the clubs would be particularly close in stature or their financial situation, but I see quite a few similarities between how Schalke's fans dealt with the past decade and the caf. You have the nostalgia about the more successful past, the officials from that era who personify the hope that they know the proper way the club works, the false dawns, the "just give the coach some time, Klopp didn't win titles in his first two years either", fans claiming who is a fan and who isn't, celebrating people in charge just for letting the previous management's flops leave.
Yeah, quite a few similarities. But I always feel like the best comparison to United fans is discussing healthcare with American centrists. It doesn’t matter how expensive their healthcare (squad) is compared to others, it won’t work there.
It doesn’t matter either, if you explain how other countries do things, they are doing it the American (United) way.
And don’t you dare criticising them, because it’s more important to defend the country from outsiders (other fans) than it is to actually work on improving the country (club).
And in the end, your healthcare sucks, people are dying in masses, everyone goes broke and yet the patriotic centrists explain to everyone why it is so important to support the president (Woodward, Ole and so on) who’s actually responsible for this mess, or unable to do anything about it. And if you complain, you’re a communist (not a real fan). Also it’s much better in the USA (United) than it is in Venezuela (I don’t know, Arsenal maybe?) so no one can really complain anyway.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Get real, no glory hunters would remain supporting and discussing United for 7 years after Sir Alex left the club. The more appropriate term would be stress hunter.
Totally disagree. Once you make your bed you lie in it. You make a bond with a football club and that's that for 99.9999% of fans.

The new generation of glory hunters around the world are choosing City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. It's exactly the same situation only a different team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Get real, no glory hunters would remain supporting and discussing United on a forum for 7 years after Sir Alex left the club. The more appropriate term would be stress hunter.
I don't believe that people change clubs. Just can't imagine how you can do that. But if so, while there are Juve, Bayern and Psg around, i don't think that any club will have problem with it :lol: .

RUCK4444

Nearly 2021 and this phrase is still being used! :lol::lol::lol:
Sadly the gloryhunter phrase has been brought back as an insult within our own fanbase.

It can be argued it's far more relevant now, when we are struggling, than it was when we were ridiculously successful...

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
You are getting confused between a glory hunter and a fair weather fan.

A fair weather fan only supports the team that is the best then moves to the next best team at the time.

A glory hunter supports a team because they have been successful and tends to stick with that team from thereon. Glory hunters are like normal fans, but the difference is that they start supporting a club because of success, not because of local ties or because they just like a team for one reason or another. They still stick with one club because of loyalty, it just means they wouldn't have started supporting a club if the club was never successful.

romufc

This gives us a good opportunity to assess our position. Whether you are Ole in or Ole out, December will tell us where his ceiling is. If the team is not in the top 4, he should be sacked. I dont care about fixture congestion / injuries this season, it was an excuse last year with a smaller squad. This season, all teams are facing the same issues, if you cannot be in the top 4 by Christmas, you have hit your ceiling.

I am neither Ole in or Ole out, I will support him and want him to do well because I cannot take another wasted season.

We cannot base Ole in or our on a game by game basis, the target is to get closer to the top not just finish top 4, that was last seasons aim. If we are not in the top 4 by christmas, we are not closing the gap to the top = no progress which means get rid.

R'hllor

Oh look glory hunter is being used again, good comeback that 10/10

Nobody is against support in general but this aint that, its cherry picking. So in essence whole this support this or that talk is pure hipocrit double standards horseshit. We all saw that movie before in JM era, "Stand behind Jose our manager but you can call Pogba all kinds of names, virus etc." "Stand behind Jose but you know, you can link a story of Martial in his youth, which implies he is autistic or something, or you can shit on him for visiting his newborn kid during pre season".

This whole manager in and out is next level brainwashing.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This gives us a good opportunity to assess our position. Whether you are Ole in or Ole out, December will tell us where his ceiling is. If the team is not in the top 4, he should be sacked. I dont care about fixture congestion / injuries this season, it was an excuse last year with a smaller squad. This season, all teams are facing the same issues, if you cannot be in the top 4 by Christmas, you have hit your ceiling.

I am neither Ole in or Ole out, I will support him and want him to do well because I cannot take another wasted season.

We cannot base Ole in or our on a game by game basis, the target is to get closer to the top not just finish top 4, that was last seasons aim. If we are not in the top 4 by christmas, we are not closing the gap to the top = no progress which means get rid.
I'd rather be in the top when it actually counts tbh. Being in the top 4 at Christmas means nothing. If we're just a few pts away from top 4 at Christmas, as we are right now, then we are well in the race.

And if we are within striking distance of top 4 he's not being sacked.

Wilt

Get behind the club ....absolutely

Get behind the manager ....yes, but not Ole ....paint it any colour you like, he’s simply not good enough.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You are getting confused between a glory hunter and a fair weather fan.

A fair weather fan only supports the team that is the best then moves to the next best team at the time.

A glory hunter supports a team because they have been successful and tends to stick with that team from thereon. Glory hunters are like normal fans, but the difference is that they start supporting a club because of success, not because of local ties or because they just like a team for one reason or another. They still stick with one club because of loyalty, it just means they wouldn't have started supporting a club if the club was never successful.
Fair enough. But tell me something; you are young kid, 8-9 years old who lives outside UK (so no local ties). How you will fall in love in some club outside your country? Because that club has either success or excellent players. So it is often in media, tv etc....How you will fall in love in lets say Stoke or Newcastle when you can't even watch them on TV. The point is that you stay fan for life after you fall in love. You don't jump from one club to another.

I started to support United 1991 (after i watched the game against Barca). So i am glory hunter i guess by your definition.

romufc

I'd rather be in the top when it actually counts tbh. Being in the top 4 at Christmas means nothing. If we're just a few pts away from top 4 at Christmas, as we are right now, then we are well in the race.

And if we are within striking distance of top 4 he's not being sacked.
yes, right now we are 3 points but so you could argue okay, its within striking distance however; if the gap between 1 - 4 is 15 points and we are a further 6 points behind, he should go because no way he is making 21 points up in the second half of the season.

Its different making 12 points to Leicester as 1 team compared to hoping for 5 teams to drop points.

tomaldinho1

Sums it up well. Although I don’t think that our good performances come from big pressure. Otherwise Ole would have got us the EL last season. It’s got more to do with our team performing well in an underdog situation when we have space to counter attack. Which isn’t the case in most our games but seemingly enough to save Ole his job time and time again.
I think that's more to do with his tactical setup. If a team commits men forwards and tries to attack us we'll always be dangerous. What I don't understand is why some fans seem to think there are any signs of progress, we have a top four squad, how hard is it really to setup to counter in big games with the players we have? We are still getting outplayed almost every weak by average teams, we don't really score from open play, we've ridden our luck massively already this season against Brighton and WBA...I get we don't like to think of ourselves as a 'sacking' club but it's so clear Ole is not a mid or long term answer.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Nobody is against support in general but this aint that, its cherry picking. So in essence whole this support this or that talk is pure hipocrit double standards horseshit. We all saw that movie before in JM era, "Stand behind Jose our manager but you can call Pogba all kinds of names, virus etc." "Stand behind Jose but you know, you can link a story of Martial in his youth, which implies he is autistic or something, or you can shit on him for visiting his newborn kid during pre season".

You're not supporting him though. Just saying sack him. He hasn't deserved to be sacked yet.

Season 1: Took over in DEC when we were on our backsides and nearly pulled off a 14 pt miracle. The fact we even had a chance of top 4 that season as credit to Ole.

Season 2: Finishes 3rd. Huge improvements.

Season 3: Barely got going. In good position to qualify from the CL group and well in the top 4 race.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Old fans calling newer fans glory hunter is an irony.

If you're not mancheeter united born you're all glory hunter. Or you'll be supporting fulham.

Please... I'm indonesian, off course I support united because glory. The romance and all that. Don't play that holier than though card.

If you're 40 years old you're more likely started supported united in their most glorious time.

fecking pot calling kettle black

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

To be fair if you are not from the local area, (this goes for any club), why else would you choose to support a club if not for success/glory? I don't think being called a glory hunter should be seen as an insult, and I don't think people should get on their high horse because they are a local fan. However, most fans of Man United are 'glory hunters'. But so what? If you want to choose a historically successful club then do it, as for the fans on their high horse, these 'glory hunters' have helped the club for years with spending their hard earned money on the club. They have just as much right to support this club as fans who live in Trafford.

I lived in Manchester for 10 years, and lived in Trafford for 3 years, I could walk to Old Trafford in 5 minutes. Went to many, many home games and spent a fortune over the years. However I am not from Manchester, I am from Darlington in the North East. If that makes me a glory hunter then yes I am one and proud to say so.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Fair enough. But tell me something; you are young kid, 8-9 years old who lives outside UK (so no local ties). How you will fall in love in some club outside your country? Because that club has either success or excellent players. So it is often in media, tv etc....How you will fall in love in lets say Stoke or Newcastle when you can't even watch them on TV. The point is that you stay fan for life after you fall in love. You don't jump from one club to another.

I started to support United 1991 (after i watched the game against Barca). So i am glory hunter i guess by your definition.
I am not disagreeing with you, I was just saying the difference between a glory hunter and fair weather fan.

Dansk

We've been really bad under Ole, barring a couple of months last season when we had a good run. Since we've bounced right back to being shit, it's difficult to attribute that run to the manager. We only made 3rd place because all the other teams competing for top 4 were falling over eachother to drop points. We spent most of that season below 6th place.

We're performing precisely as well as you'd expect of a team with a fairly decent squad but a manager who isn't good enough. There are other problems at the club as well, some of which surely aren't Ole's fault, but it's clear by now that he isn't the solution to those problems. Being a minor club legend is not enough to keep him in the job when he plainly just isn't a good enough football manager. Almost every game, his managerial failures are on display for all to see. He is not a good manager.

The club needs to stop dreaming of getting our own Pep/Zidane out of Ole. If he was anything like that, he would have shown it by now. If we look at his brief managerial record before United, it's not as though he proved himself in any meaningful way. We apparently just figured that him being loved by the fans was enough, and it's obvious by now that it isn't.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We've been really bad under Ole, barring a couple of months last season when we had a good run. Since we've bounced right back to being shit, it's difficult to attribute that run to the manager. We only made 3rd place because all the other teams competing for top 4 were falling over eachother to drop points. We spent most of that season below 6th place.

We're performing precisely as well as you'd expect of a team with a fairly decent squad but a manager who isn't good enough. There are other problems at the club as well, some of which surely aren't Ole's fault, but it's clear by now that he isn't the solution to those problems. Being a minor club legend is not enough to keep him in the job when he plainly just isn't a good enough football manager. Almost every game, his managerial failures are on display for all to see. He is not a good manager.

The club needs to stop dreaming of getting our own Pep/Zidane out of Ole. If he was anything like that, he would have shown it by now. If we look at his brief managerial record before United, it's not as though he proved himself in any meaningful way. We apparently just figured that him being loved by the fans was enough, and it's obvious by now that it isn't.
And instead go for a man Spurs didn't even trust to win a single Carbao cup or any silverware at all? Is that where we are heading?

Who else is out there right now?

jamesjimmybyrondean

And instead go for a man Spurs didn't even trust to win a single Carbao cup or any silverware at all? Is that where we are heading?

If you're not convinced that Pochettino is good enough with the work he did at Spurs how on earth does Ole convince you?(I'm convinced by neither right now)

el3mel

Allegri if trophies are your problem with Poch.

OleBoiii

I'm Ole in, but I don't agree with the attacks on my fellow fans with words like "gloryhunter".

I will support the manager until he fails or has stayed for a long time without improving us. Moyes was a train-wreck in every single way, so he was rightfully sacked. Van Gaal failed to get top 4 in his second season, so he was rightfully sacked. Mourinho had us in free fall and was a dick in the media, so he was rightfully sacked. Solskjær did well enough in his first full season and we're currently still "in the game", so sacking him is the wrong decision as of this moment.

el3mel

I'm Ole in, but I don't agree with the attacks on my fellow fans with words like "gloryhunter".

I will support the manager until he fails or has stayed for a long time without improving us. Moyes was a train-wreck in every single way, so he was rightfully sacked. Van Gaal failed to get top 4 in his second season, so he was rightfully sacked. Mourinho had us in free fall and was a dick in the media, so he was rightfully sacked. Solskjær did well enough in his first full season and we're currently still "in the game", so sacking him is the wrong decision as of this moment.
There's no reason to sack the manager now. The situation isn't as bad as it was few months ago.

But the logic of this thread is simply poor, very poor. He's saying get behind the club in thread title then slaughter Woodward in the thread itself. It's like he's asking for blind support for the manager while slaughtering everyone else. If he's telling us to get behind "the club", he better also gets behind Woodward, Glazers and players, because club isn't the manager alone.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

How did you said for AWB? There are literally 100 managers around who are easily better than Ole. Slaven fecking Bilic would be better than Ole with this squad.
What that other manager must match? Title in C tier football league and not being relegated in his career. Hm, it would be tough to find that kind of manager

RedDevil@84

Should we moan less - Yes
Should we blindly "get behind" Ole - No

I don't know what is this get behind the club. Doesn't it automatically mean supporting Woodward and Glazers in whatever they are doing.

Web of Bissaka

TLDR/
Stop moaning,
Don't criticize,
Just praise and
Give (flowery, ray-of-hope, positive etc) comments about the manager, club and players.

We should all embrace and accept the new low standards.