Get behind the manager and club

Its not worrying because nothing the fans say will affect what the club are going to do anyway. If fans had any sway we'd have gone through 12 managers since Ferguson instead of 4.
Hell, if we’d gone through as many as Bayern or Real in that time we’d likely be better off.
Sticking with shit managers way too long is our biggest problem.

Bayern alone have gone through 7 managers since Fergie retired @Bilbo, they spot a turd and they flush it as fast as possible so it doesn’t do long term damage. That’s why they’ve remained top and we remain the turd that won’t flush.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

We should all embrace and accept the new low standards.
... or at the very least don't sack managers prematurely.

First full season = job well done, all things considered.

Second full(?) season = 8 out of 38 games played. Way too early to make a conclusion(unless we lost all the games or something absurd like that).

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Hell, if we’d gone through as many as Bayern or Real in that time we’d likely be better off.
Sticking with shit managers way too long is our biggest problem.
Hiring managers has been our problem, not firing them. Moyes had less than a season. LVG and Jose were probably sacked around the right time and Ole doesnt deserve to be sacked yet.

Hiring managers has been our problem, not firing them. Moyes had less than a season. LVG and Jose were probably sacked around the right time and Ole doesnt deserve to be sacked yet.
Liverpool did a United:

Dalglish - 6 years
Souness - 3 years
Evans - 5 years
Houllier - 5 years
Rafa - 6 years

then @Bilbo, they hired 4 managers in 5 years until they found “the one”. Has worked for Bayern, Real and a shit load of other clubs too but we’re thick as shit and forever dreaming of a new Fergie, where “time” is everything. Deluded as feck for 7 years.

Hiring Roy and Kenny were terrible ideas, quickly rectified. Brenton was an improvement and has 3 seasons because he took them very close and played good football. Then, they were ruthless with him and got the guy that finally took them back to the top.

sticking with shit managers is a bad idea.

Time and time again big clubs go on firing sprees and remain successful (as long as they invest of course). How often does a “Fergie” happen?

Last edited:

ShoePolish

Ole deserves more time. I don't think he's that clueless, to not recognize that our right wing needs improving, which is letting us down massively. Heck, we haven't even shifted all our deadwood yet, which points to problems beyond him.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I get the feeling people supporting Ole or Ole inners is mainly because they don't see a clear candidate available that can get us to winning league titles

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To be fair if you are not from the local area, (this goes for any club), why else would you choose to support a club if not for success/glory? I don't think being called a glory hunter should be seen as an insult, and I don't think people should get on their high horse because they are a local fan. However, most fans of Man United are 'glory hunters'. But so what? If you want to choose a historically successful club then do it, as for the fans on their high horse, these 'glory hunters' have helped the club for years with spending their hard earned money on the club. They have just as much right to support this club as fans who live in Trafford.

I lived in Manchester for 10 years, and lived in Trafford for 3 years, I could walk to Old Trafford in 5 minutes. Went to many, many home games and spent a fortune over the years. However I am not from Manchester, I am from Darlington in the North East. If that makes me a glory hunter then yes I am one and proud to say so.
If I use myself as an example, I had no idea that United were successful. I was a kid(6 or 7 years old) and was mesmerized by Giggs and Cole. It's only years later that I realized that trophy/glory were significant but initially my interest was totally focused on the field and the aesthetic of certain players, I didn't care about the league table or the trophy cabinet.

To be fair if you are not from the local area, (this goes for any club), why else would you choose to support a club if not for success/glory?
Dad or grandpa was local? Dad or mum or gran was a massive Scandy red who loved Jesper Olsson?

They are literally dozens and dozens of reasons and you have to be very close minded to not realise that.

passing-wind

Thread was over before it even begun on the basis of @Andycoleno9 diligence.

Underperforming team and an underperforming manager what's new ? Solskjaer said himself the table doesn't lie and thus far we are amassing a consecutive amount of losses per ratio of games we play. So long as Solskjaer gets the top four spot I can't really think of anything warranting his dismissal irrespective of how woeful of a manager I personally think he is.

Green_Red

I've been far from happy with how things have started but we're 5 points off top 4 with a game in hand, for any dreamers we're 7 off top spot with a game in hand, this season definitely isn't a lost cause by any stretch.
I was saying this to my father in law. If we win that game in hand we are 4 points off top spot. Not bad considering we have had a disastrous start to the season. What does that say about the other teams?

All the negativity is down to the media. We are the biggest supporter base in the country and the negativity spread by the media has turned us into one of the most negative fan bases. We should boycott media outlets that publish negative articles because if we don't read them, they won't publish them. Its a pretty simple exercise. Don't go on skysports.com or any other sports media outlet for a week and watch the tone of the articles change.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Liverpool did a United:

Dalglish - 6 years
Souness - 3 years
Evans - 5 years
Houllier - 5 years
Rafa - 6 years

then @Bilbo, they hired 4 managers in 5 years until they found “the one”. Has worked for Bayern, Real and a shit load of other clubs too but we’re thick as shit and forever dreaming of a new Fergie, where “time” is everything. Deluded as feck for 7 years.

Hiring Roy and Kenny were terrible ideas, quickly rectified. Brenton was an improvement and has 3 seasons because he took them very close and played good football. Then, they were ruthless with him and got the guy that finally took them back to the top.

Maybe we should change the way we treat new managers. Instead of giving them so much money to spend in their first season we let them prove themselves first. I think that's how we find the right manager for us quickly. A manager that knows how to get the best out of the squad he has is worth investing in. We don't have oil money and are terrible at selling players where we can just change the entire squad for the new manager in a short time so we need to be sure of the manager first

Tel074

My word we don't half have a bunch on moany self entitled brats in our fanbase. 4 wins from 8 isn't amazing but neither is it disastrous. We're 5pts behind Chelsea having played a game less than them and also above City.

We've lost 3 games. Okay not great but look at the context of them. 2 of the 3 defeats we've had you can easily put down to fitness. Palace (loss), Brighton (win) n Spurs (loss) were all far sharper than we were and it was clearly evident. We were fortunate to beat Brighton too of course. The PL did us no favours with the start to the season. Same applies to City. Only half of our squad even played a bleeding friendly ffs. How is that fair? I think Palace played 2 friendlies, 1 league game and 1 Carabao cup game before we played them. How is that fair in any world? We were massively up against it as I said we were going to be when I made the article about resting players in the Europa League in July. We'd already secured CL football at Leicester. We should have sent Bruno and a few other key players on their holidays and forgot all about the EL. Would have been nice to win but it wasn't a priority. You win the EL to get back in the CL not to parade down the streets.

And putting the schedule aside for a second....we've also had our captain arrested, players testing positive for Covid, Mason losing a close friend to suicide among other issues. And not only all that....Ed Woodward has once again messed up another window at the club. Seriously that guy has more lives than a cat. How on earth he still has his job is beyond me. People talk about Ole being out of his depth....Jesus christ. What does that make Woodward then? He's a disaster.

Has it been a great start? Not at all. But all things considered it's been far from the disaster some fans are painting it to be. We're already among the chasing pack for top 4 and we've barely got going so far this season. The best is yet to come for us. Win the next 2 and we'll be right up there and that's a lot earlier than we were up there last season.
Yeah I agree totally with you but honestly I mostly ignore the experts on here who probably to a majority have never been to a game so don't get the feel for how United match going fans tend to support their team and manager.
The majority of match going fans and the majority of the online fans of United really are different breeds all together .

SER19

I have a feeling people are jumping the gun on the doom here. Can understand it given our home form and that abysmal showing in Turkey but there have equally been displays of real quality at Newcastle, Everton, psg and vs leipzig. The squad is deeper and this season is going to be a real battle. We definitely need martial or a replacement to start chipping in with goals and to get Greenwood firing again.

I'm not as fearful as others seem to be I think it's equally likely we will hit a decent run of form and be competitive around Feb.

SAFMUTD

The same could be said about the Glazzers and Woodward, funny how we must get behind the manager but feck the owners and board.

I have a feeling people are jumping the gun on the doom here. Can understand it given our home form and that abysmal showing in Turkey but there have equally been displays of real quality at Newcastle, Everton, psg and vs leipzig.
Yeah because that’s what this squad is capable of and that’s the crux of it.
The manager can’t get any consistency from this side after 2 years, it’s always the same.
Hence the doom.
The quality shown in certain games under a top manager could be special indeed.

Siorac

I was saying this to my father in law. If we win that game in hand we are 4 points off top spot. Not bad considering we have had a disastrous start to the season. What does that say about the other teams?

All the negativity is down to the media. We are the biggest supporter base in the country and the negativity spread by the media has turned us into one of the most negative fan bases. We should boycott media outlets that publish negative articles because if we don't read them, they won't publish them. Its a pretty simple exercise. Don't go on skysports.com or any other sports media outlet for a week and watch the tone of the articles change.
The negativity is down to the last 7 years and to actually watching us play.

I know people love to blame the 'FAKE NEWS media' but it's, well, stupid.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
United's revenue is so robust, the club can probably go on like this for decades without getting in serious financial trouble. I was comparing how the fans deal with continued underachievement.
Barely hanging on to 2nd spot in Bundesliga, bottling the Meisterschaft even against Niko Kovac, just once reaching CL quarterfinals in the last 5 seasons, not even getting past quarterfinals or last 16 in Europa League... how are BVB fans like yourself dealing with continued underachievement? By directing all your pride onto the greatness of your value-generating youngster development?

Last edited:

Acquire Me

The worst thing with all this Ole Out Ole In bullshit for me is that we could end up having a sensational season this year. Why the hell use time and energy on something that at this time might be great or it might not. After this season we need to evaluate, now we should be calm.

Green_Red

The negativity is down to the last 7 years and to actually watching us play.

I know people love to blame the 'FAKE NEWS media' but it's, well, stupid.
Its almost as if there hasn't been any research done on places like Facebook to see whether negative posts impacted the mental state of people continuously subjected to them. The football has been the football. The negative coverage is something entirely different. As this thread proves we are nowhere near as bad as the media have portrayed, yes it hasn't been brilliant on the pitch, but the quantity of negative coverage is not near the actuality.

Greck

Must have been said already but getting behind the manager is different from getting behind the club. I don't need a sense of patriotism to any one seat, not the owners, the CEO, the manager or the attackers. They work for the club and should and can all be shot into the sun if they hold it back

big rons sovereign

Yawn. Blah blah blah blah.......nothing is changing until the parasites are gone.
We can all argue for eternity but it's gonna keep going round and round and round.

hobbers

there have equally been displays of real quality at Newcastle, Everton, psg and vs leipzig.
Against Newcastle we were dreadful for 75 minutes. Everton was a one man show from Bruno, certainly not a convincing team performance.

PSG absolutely was a stellar performance, I guess you'd say a classic CL away game where we were excellent defensively and controlled them. Leipzig was a masterclass in counter attacking where, again, we played as the away team and looked to counter attack and, clearly not knowing Ole's United well enough, they fell into the trap.

That's it for good football this season. As an interesting thought experiment, take Bruno and penalties away from our results and see where we'd end up.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Against Newcastle we were dreadful for 75 minutes. Everton was a one man show from Bruno, certainly not a convincing team performance.

PSG absolutely was a stellar performance, I guess you'd say a classic CL away game where we were excellent defensively and controlled them. Leipzig was a masterclass in counter attacking where, again, we played as the away team and looked to counter attack and, clearly not knowing Ole's United well enough, they fell into the trap.

That's it for good football this season. As an interesting thought experiment, take Bruno and penalties away from our results and see where we'd end up.
You should actually go a step further and give us 0 points for games we've won, see where we'd end up.

And we weren't dreadful against Newcastle at all, your memory of that game is appalling.

izec

Not supporting a manager who is out of his depth. I support the club, therefore i want Ole out, even though i wasnt posting on here for a week or a couple of weeks. But i thought that was obvious what Ole has to offer

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Liverpool did a United:

Dalglish - 6 years
Souness - 3 years
Evans - 5 years
Houllier - 5 years
Rafa - 6 years

Time and time again big clubs go on firing sprees and remain successful (as long as they invest of course). How often does a “Fergie” happen?
Your post is wasted on me, as well you know, because I simply don't share your opinion that Ole is doing a shit job - so I'm not sure how i'm supposed to respond to that.

Well done Liverpool?

hobbers

And we weren't dreadful against Newcastle at all, your memory of that game is appalling.
Nope. We were incredibly poor, especially in the first half. Just lucky the obligatory Bruno penalty wasn't required in the end.

The last 10 minutes was great stuff though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I get the feeling people supporting Ole or Ole inners is mainly because they don't see a clear candidate available that can get us to winning league titles
I'm not saying that I fully agree with this point, but theres something in it. If there was a hands down genius visionary out there that ticked every box and looked destined for greatness we'd be foolish to not consider it. Similar to replacing a player we liked if the next Ronaldo was out there.

There isn't though as far as i can tell. Everyone would be a punt, so I cant see the value in rooting for the dismissal of a manager that I like, and who I think has us on the right track, because the next one might do better.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Yeah because that’s what this squad is capable of and that’s the crux of it.
The manager can’t get any consistency from this side after 2 years, it’s always the same.
Hence the doom.
The quality shown in certain games under a top manager could be special indeed.
So, in a nutshell, bad performances are used a stick to beat him with because they were bad, and good performances are also a stick because why aren't we doing that every week.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The worst thing with all this Ole Out Ole In bullshit for me is that we could end up having a sensational season this year. Why the hell use time and energy on something that at this time might be great or it might not. After this season we need to evaluate, now we should be calm.
Yes

Strelok

Maybe we should change the way we treat new managers. Instead of giving them so much money to spend in their first season we let them prove themselves first. I think that's how we find the right manager for us quickly. A manager that knows how to get the best out of the squad he has is worth investing in. We don't have oil money and are terrible at selling players where we can just change the entire squad for the new manager in a short time so we need to be sure of the manager first
This is actually a very good idea.

However you simply won't get top manager by telling them so.

Anyway it's still a very good idea, we may stumble upon a good one on the cheap.

P/s: on a second thought, we'd risk CL football doing so. Ed wouldn't like that I think. I don't either.

Last edited:

Longshanks

I believe the problem is Ole is getting directly compared to Klopp and Pep who are considerably further into there respective projects.

Ole is trying to rebuild a squad and team from the ground up near enough, we still have gaping holes in our side RW, CM/CDM and possibly CF and CB. Two maybe three transfer windows before the holes are filled with the required quality you would imagine.

This season especially after a poor summer transfer window the expectation is top4 and some progress in playing style. Nothing more.

No real issue with criticising the manager where warranted such as his questionable in game management and substitutions at times, but the 'pe teacher' 'useless coach' 'I can't see a plan' is just lazy people simply reapting what they see on Twitter or something like.

There is a plan but I dont think we have enough players able to actually consistently deliver it. There is few more bad apples to move on yet and more recruitment required, bear in mind how poor our recruitment has been since since SAF left it wasnt particularly good in his last few years either.

Ole may or may not be the man to deliver us titles time will tell but he deserves his chance to build the team he wants as long as he keeps us in the top 4 this season.

Siorac

Its almost as if there hasn't been any research done on places like Facebook to see whether negative posts impacted the mental state of people continuously subjected to them. The football has been the football. The negative coverage is something entirely different. As this thread proves we are nowhere near as bad as the media have portrayed, yes it hasn't been brilliant on the pitch, but the quantity of negative coverage is not near the actuality.
Look, certain fans have been preaching about this supposedly toxic negativity for years now. It's nothing new. Apparently, we're somehow always too negative. But nothing actually changes and the pessimists usually turn out to be right. Once again, we're basically as bad (or as good, depending on your perspective and expectations) as we've been for the last 7 years. We're going to finish somewhere around 4th-7th, with around 65-70 points. Business as usual. We'll probably play shite football for most of it, too, like in most seasons since Fergie's retirement. Again, the "media" has nothing to do with that.

We see we are playing shite; journalists see we are playing shite. We're also all aware that this is our normal and has been for a while now. Well, actually, no, not all of us. That's why journalists are still negative about United: they still write about us as if we were an elite club. The media that you blame simply hasn't accepted the new reality yet, that we're no longer among those teams that aim to win the league. This discrepancy between expectations and reality is what you perceive as excessive negativity. If the goal is upper mid-table, we're good! If the goal is top 4, we're still just about OK. If the goal is to get back to challenging for major trophies - and many of those working in the media and some fans still believe that should be the case - then we're obviously going nowhere. Hence the negativity.

Siorac

We could but can you honestly see that happening? Literally nothing points to us suddenly having a sensational season. It does happen sometimes that teams that play absolutely terribly just explode into form but it's very rare and usually not sustained.

Acquire Me

We could but can you honestly see that happening? Literally nothing points to us suddenly having a sensational season. It does happen sometimes that teams that play absolutely terribly just explode into form but it's very rare and usually not sustained.
I think it might happen. I might end up very unhappy though :lol:

Greck

I think it might happen. I might end up very unhappy though :lol:
Of course it could happen. Probably will at some point but those purple patches that tend to come once all season expectations have been thrown out the window don't mean much anymore. They used to be the Arsenal/Liverpool "next year is our year" trademark specialty. The damning thing about them is even when we're in the middle of one we've tended to regress to mediocrity the second the expectations were built back up. Losing 3 semifinals in the middle of a purple patch is a special kind of letdown. Sputtering towards the finish line in both league campaigns after such a superior run was also disappointing.

Mainoldo

I hope we get beat 5-0 in the next 5 games just so I can see Ole inners latest excuse.. because I guarantee you something. They won’t turn :lol: