Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I absolutely believe VAR has had a negative impact on the sport and people’s enjoyment of it. Long way to go. They should have tested it more in the cups before rolling it out in the Prem.
As frustrating as it is, that would have been worse. You need a big sample to improve the system. It would only be available to PL teams so that means only a few dozens game per year. We'd be in 2024 that they would still not be sure how to use it.
The on-field ref has to go to the monitor for every contestable goal/red card offence and just watch it with them. They would get to a decision a lot quicker and the referee keeps his power.

jackal&hyde

I love it! But the English implementation is crap.The big VAR decisions still have to come down to the ref so bring him to the monitor.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
As frustrating as it is, that would have been worse. You need a big sample to improve the system. It would only be available to PL teams so that means only a few dozens game per year. We'd be in 2024 that they would still not be sure how to use it.
The on-field ref has to go to the monitor for every contestable goal/red card offence and just watch it with them. They would get to a decision a lot quicker and the referee keeps his power.
Funny thing is I don't remember saying that at all. Where was that? Sorry, I don't feel like flipping through every page and hope you can roughly remember

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Atleast the refs where weary about giving
Not seen the Southampton one yet but the Kane and Bruno calls are baffling. Bruno jumps into the defender, lands on his leg and he gets the pen? Kane has eyes on the ball, about to head from point blank range and gets fecking speared from behind and nothing? It's just mental.

I said at the start of the season that the refs were sabotaging VAR and I still believe it. Either that or they're simply too pally with each other and don't want to correct their mates. Either way it's unacceptable. Oliver's reward for such incompetence is getting the biggest game of the weekend. Brilliant.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Noticed he dodged your question
not at all, didn't see it, someone on another forum said the Villa manger should refuse to come out for the second half unless the goal is struck off, was a stupid comment and never going to happen so I posted something else that was a stupid comment and obviously was never going to happen and even said in that post I wasn't being serious

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
VAR is a load of shit really. Takes them hours to come to conclusions when it’s supposed to be used for clear and obvious and a lot of the time they come to the wrong conclusion too. We have to remember it’s the same clowns making the decisions even if they are watching it 300 times.

I absolutely believe VAR has had a negative impact on the sport and people’s enjoyment of it. Long way to go. They should have tested it more in the cups before rolling it out in the Prem.
Yep

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
To the bold, so? What’s the rush? Football had been around for decades and gained in popularity all over the world decade after decade, loved by millions, what’s the massive rush to bring this half arsed half working video replay model to the game? Why not get the technology and rules right first instead of fecking about with it and changing your mind and rules constantly mid season? It’s an absolute cluster feck

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Funny thing is I don't remember saying that at all. Where was that? Sorry, I don't feel like flipping through every page and hope you can roughly remember
No idea what happened there, I was quoting @Offside Maybe i quoted you, didn't hit send and the 2 got mixed, sorry :lol:

To the bold, so? What’s the rush? Football had been around for decades and gained in popularity all over the world decade after decade, loved by millions, what’s the massive rush to bring this half arsed half working video replay model to the game? Why not get the technology and rules right first instead of fecking about with it and changing your mind and rules constantly mid season? It’s an absolute cluster feck
The rush ? England is already several years behind, it's not the fans fault the FA can't even be bothered to study how it's working in every other league. They acted smug, we all knew, they were told from the first tests in the FA Cup that the way they were doing it was wrong. They didn't care and sacrificed a season for no reason. FIFA is being politically correct with their argument about taking over from IFAB but it's England that forced them to come and try cleaning this mess.
They better start showing some humility and get in line with basic protocol. Maybe a Champions league or another Worrld Cup with 0 english ref will give them a hint.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No idea what happened there, I was quoting @Offside Maybe i quoted you, didn't hit send and the 2 got mixed, sorry :lol:

The rush ? England is already several years behind, it's not the fans fault the FA can't even be bothered to study how it's working in every other league. They acted smug, we all knew, they were told from the first tests in the FA Cup that the way they were doing it was wrong. They didn't care and sacrificed a season for no reason. FIFA is being politically correct with their argument about taking over from IFAB but it's England that forced them to come and try cleaning this mess.
They better start showing some humility and get in line with basic protocol. Maybe a Champions league or another Worrld Cup with 0 english ref will give them a hint.
is it working perfectly in other leagues? Hasn’t the champions league also had its share of shitness. Even the World Cup they were changing things mid tournament. Why the rush

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It is a cluster feck but the positive to take from it is that these issues are finally being highlighted. A man without video replay, or a man with it. Doesn't make a difference, and we're seeing that now. The problem is deeper. Refereeing is poor, they are unsure of the rules of the game and how to apply it consistently. They don't bring through enough talented, alethic referees that can keep up with the modern game. Experience is important, but the experience of these refs is based on many years of bad leadership. They have outdated methods for coping with issues and is adjusting with a week to week aspect depending on where the scrutiny comes from. Instead of thinking longterm and find ways to improve the way rules can be applied more consistently, strategically come down on theatrics and simulation etc. Even with funds and technology in place they seem half-interested in making it work, and simply put they are still refusing to embrace the real systemic issues, and work to solve them.

If we're going with the analogy I read above that a quality car can help you get from a to b, but if the driver sucks then the car wont help you. That's true, and it wouldn't be the best idea to invest in a quality car before you have gotten your driver licence. You'll end up taking it for a ride and drive it off a cliff and go "ah feck I'm in the hospital because of that stupid car, I give up I'm all about public transportation and bikes from now on" However, it's a lesson to take from this guy driving off a cliff as it clearly highlights to everyone how the problem really lies with the idiot who bought that car just to drive it off a cliff, and that doesn't change even if you remove the car from the story. I don't want to keep watching this old fool drive all his new cars off a cliff for years and years, I just want to watch a fair game of football.

Rafaeldagold

VAR is shit everywhere, stopping play, farcical decisions, causing more confusion & causing less enthusiasm for goals across the world. (I hardly celebrate goals anymore due to the fact VAR is there ready to spoil the moment)

It’s just in England it’s especially shit that’s all

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
is it working perfectly in other leagues? Hasn’t the champions league also had its share of shitness. Even the World Cup they were changing things mid tournament. Why the rush
no system will ever be perfect, but in other league it is ran much better

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It is a cluster feck but the positive to take from it is that these issues are finally being highlighted. A man without video replay, or a man with it. Doesn't make a difference, and we're seeing that now. The problem is deeper. Refereeing is poor, they are unsure of the rules of the game and how to apply it consistently. They don't bring through enough talented, alethic referees that can keep up with the modern game. Experience is important, but the experience of these refs is based on many years of bad leadership. They have outdated methods for coping with issues and is adjusting with a week to week aspect depending on where the scrutiny comes from. Instead of thinking longterm and find ways to improve the way rules can be applied more consistently, strategically come down on theatrics and simulation etc. Even with funds and technology in place they seem half-interested in making it work, and simply put they are still refusing to embrace the real systemic issues, and work to solve them.

If we're going with the analogy I read above that a quality car can help you get from a to b, but if the driver sucks then the car wont help you. That's true, and it wouldn't be the best idea to invest in a quality car before you have gotten your driver licence. You'll end up taking it for a ride and drive it off a cliff and go "ah feck I'm in the hospital because of that stupid car, I give up I'm all about public transportation and bikes from now on" However, it's a lesson to take from this guy driving off a cliff as it clearly highlights to everyone how the problem really lies with the idiot who bought that car just to drive it off a cliff, and that doesn't change even if you remove the car from the story. I don't want to keep watching this old fool drive all his new cars off a cliff for years and years, I just want to watch a fair game of football.
I think it’s all just complicating things. At the end of the day it’s people running around trying to get the ball in the net under certain set in stone rules and it’s done for fans entertainment and players passion.

Now there happens to be millions of pounds involved in it due to the love of the game and how popular it became. Why the need now to overly complicated everything, be obsessed with correct results at the cost of all entertainment just because there’s money involved? Like I said football has been around for decades, honestly how many absolute nailed on cheating moments have happened? A few? Hand of god, still talked about decades later, Henry? What else?

VAR has come in to supposedly stop these mass errors of justice but in reality it’s got involved in the most minor, subjective calls and is genuinely ruining the excitement of goals scored, already, in its first season in the prem, by players and managers.

I just can’t get my head around liking Or wanting it in the game

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think it’s all just complicating things. At the end of the day it’s people running around trying to get the ball in the net under certain set in stone rules and it’s done for fans entertainment and players passion.

Now there happens to be millions of pounds involved in it due to the love of the game and how popular it became. Why the need now to overly complicated everything, be obsessed with correct results at the cost of all entertainment just because there’s money involved? Like I said football has been around for decades, honestly how many absolute nailed on cheating moments have happened? A few? Hand of god, still talked about decades later, Henry? What else?

VAR has come in to supposedly stop these mass errors of justice but in reality it’s got involved in the most minor, subjective calls and is genuinely ruining the excitement of goals scored, already, in its first season in the prem, by players and managers.

The systemic issues can be resolved and the result of it would simply just be a higher standard of refereeing. If you could get that, why wouldn't you? That doesn't overcomplicate things, but such a big organisation ignoring working on things is like being content in misery, I don't like it. As you say, there is a lot of money involved in the game, and surely with that kind of scratch you'd expect some of it to go into better the performances of refs, to ensure a better experience for the viewer. Obviously they have gone about it in the wrong way, by getting involved in minor subjective calls before they have even begun to get a grip on the rulebook itself. They've changed their approach on a weekly basis regarding the use of VAR, which tell you everything you need to know.

To me I don't even think a ref need to be human. Give the job to the best contender. If you introduce me to a robot, yeah I'll probably think of him as subhuman but that's similar to how most refs gets perceived anyways and at the least he could take the ridicule if he got something wrong and didn't need to be protected and awarded for bad performances, just chuck him for faulty mechanism.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Once again it does not need to be working perfectly nor should anyone asking it to be. Offsides apart and as shitty as it is, VAR has worked alright but when it hasn't, it has been in dubious circumstances to say the least. You really have to laugh at the incompetence concerning the 3 penalty decisions above. Unless you're a fan of these 3 teams.

It's not pedantic, millimeters ruining the game, the emotions or whatever... It is a group of 3,4,5 mens paid to judge a situation, spending 3 minutes looking at a replay and arriving to the worst conclusion possible because they CANNOT let go of their stupid little ego. It is as simple as that, it is a human problem and i don't see any solution other than sacking Riley and whoever keeps putting themself before the rules. And if the next guy comes in with a little smirk and keeps doing it, sack him too.
Make them want to be good at their job. Make the referees have a reason to improve themselves. Release the audio the next day with the bleeping of the unavoidable abuse they are getting, have a weekly public report of the decisions explaining how they got to that decision and what rule they applied. Anyhing wrong would be spotted within 30mn of publication. You've got millions watching and paying. Introduce rankings, money, awards whatever the feck they need as long as it's done in a healthy way.This mafia style environment is getting tiresome.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The problem isn't VAR, it's the ones using it and making the decisions.

It's like saying a car is shit because the driver keeps crashing and drink driving.

montpelier

It's like saying a car is shit because the driver keeps crashing and drink driving.
It's nothing like that.

The VAR system is not an object, it's a process with effects on other parts of the process and impacting on the whole organism (the footy match)

Your analogy is massively simplistic.

I'd hazard a guess you think VAR should be dead easy to implement.

How much evidence do you need to see that'll convince you that it isn't.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
It's nothing like that.

The VAR system is not an object, it's a process with effects on other parts of the process and impacting on the whole organism (the footy match)

Your analogy is massively simplistic.

I'd hazard a guess you think VAR should be dead easy to implement.

How much evidence do you need to see that'll convince you that it isn't.
The 3 situations that were wrong this weekend, would have been overturned with competent people watching the replays.

I mean, it might be simplistic, but it's basically a person(s) watching the situation and making a decision if it's foul or not.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

VAR stands for Video Assistant Referee... So VAR literally is people making the decisions.

To use your car analogy VAR is both the driver and the car together. You can't win a race with just the car... As without anyone to operate it is useless.

Rafaeldagold

This sums it up perfectly. A needless addition to the game

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Not really, VAR is shit because we have to wait minutes after goals scored while they’re checked to be ruled out, aswell as shit refs looking at the video.

what you said is, the video assistant ref is not shit the video assistant ref is shit. We all know tv replays work, they have done for years

montpelier

The 3 situations that were wrong this weekend, would have been overturned with competent people watching the replays.

I mean, it might be simplistic, but it's basically a person(s) watching the situation and making a decision if it's foul or not.
Yes, they would. It ought to be better than it is.

Watching a bit of film and DECIDING shouldn't ALWAYS be so difficult.

The car being driven better would help with the race, for sure.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The 3 situations you say on the weekend that would have been called correct if there was competent refs in VAR room, does that include the Bruno pen? That Ole and plenty of others in here thought was a pen? It shows part the problem with VAR, the disruption to the game for subjective decisions.
As bad as the refs are, in a way they can’t win.

montpelier

Get rid of that. Get Ref #2 making some decisions.

Not just pondering how much he likes Ref #1. And/or their combined incompetence/spinelessness where Ref #1 passes the buck and Ref #2 decides he doesn't want it.

Rafaeldagold

How was that Watford one a pen? Honestly VAR is just pointless & only looks for the little minor things in games than big decisions so just sack it off

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
If I wasn't so bone-idle I'd go out and copyright 'Betandwin' tomorrow morning. Although someone may have already done so, watch out!
It's the original name of Bwin, so yeah, it's most likely already trademarked. ;)

Rajma

I don't like it but I'm happy it was implemented as it was quite obvious that we're going to be the biggest beneficiaries of this system (at least by those who watch us regularly) given how much over the last couple of years refs were screwing us over.

It's been very clear for me for some time now with all the social media stuff and our monumental status as a club the refs in this country were simply always on the "safe" side when it came to us, since they knew the attention we receive in the public as a club is enormous. The decisions that go for us get magnified to nth degree in comparison to all other clubs in the league, hence refs quickly learned to simply avoid giving us any decisions as they don't want to get associated with us and the incoming shitstorm in case they get one wrong, it was always easier to get on with it by not making a call in our favour.

Perfect example is today's Wolves penalty against Everton, completely identical to the one Bruno earned in the Villa game, did we get 40 replays during the game and will it be a talking point of the week for everyone? I highly doubt that.

I'm against it under neutral circumstances but when you get screwed over for so long you take this all day long.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I actually think the referees have decided they are going to purposely sabotage Var to get it removed. The amount of terrible decisions that are clearly wrong recently is incredibly suspicious.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I actually think the referees have decided they are going to purposely sabotage Var to get it removed. The amount of terrible decisions that are clearly wrong recently is incredibly suspicious.
I'm starting to think this. They are not doing anything that VAR actually suggests. Clear and obvious only, go to the monitor if unsure, etc.

Bojan11

Why is Jon Moss even allowed to be VAR ref for Villa game after what happened on Thursday?

Perhaps they have better eyesight than me, but that cane off his shoulder. Unless your shoulder counts at a handball, has to be a goal?

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I'm starting to think this. They are not doing anything that VAR actually suggests. Clear and obvious only, go to the monitor if unsure, etc.
And that's the innocent explanation too, the more sinister one is that it might literally be match fixing.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Why is Jon Moss even allowed to be VAR ref for Villa game after what happened on Thursday?
real question is why are current refs allowed to be VAR at all? It should be recently retired or a completely new batch of qualified refs that aren't all mates with the other refs

Idxomer

Nope, they've been rubbish for a while now. It has nothing to do with VAR.

Andersonson

Palace goal should have stood. And how they not book Grealish after that theatrical dive is weird.

VAR is a joke right now