Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

ReddBalls

Not working in Spain either. Benzema just had a goal disallowed even though the entire ball was over the line.

Eli Zee

If it disallows goals/penalties that shouldn't count, and allows calls the ref misses to be called, why would anyone be against it?

we wait a fair game, right?

Anustart89

Did they change the "even accidental handball is handball if it leads to goalscoring opportunity" rule from last season?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Did they change the "even accidental handball is handball if it leads to goalscoring opportunity" rule from last season?
Yes, kind of.

If it's accidental and there's some passes or a reasonable bit of play between the handball and the goal, the goal will stand. That's a change they brought in for this season.

For the Chelsea equalizer today, after it hit Havertz's hand, 4 different players touched the ball before it hit the net which I guess was deemed to be enough.

stevoc

all good. Can I just add that VAR is not being applied consistently which is totally baffling. Some games the referee checks and others not. Today the referee could, for me, just as easliy claim the final whistle had gone so all over.
Well that we do agree on, and i was also baffled that the game continued after the final had been blown.

Anustart89

Yes, kind of.

If it's accidental and there's some passes or a reasonable bit of play between the handball and the goal, the goal will stand. That's a change they brought in for this season.

For the Chelsea equalizer today, after it hit Havertz's hand, 4 different players touched the ball before it hit the net which I guess was deemed to be enough.
Fair enough if formally changed. Seems to me like it would've been disallowed last season as it allowed Chelsea to keep possession inside the opposition's box, but what the feck does anyone know, really :lol:

UncleBob

Yes, kind of.

What a load of shit. Havertz touches it with his arm, the WBA player tries to clear it but cant get it further than to Mount, who collects the ball and shoots, Abraham scores off the rebound. Between Havertz touching the ball with his arm and Chelsea scoring we're talking a massive 6 seconds.

Either they feel that the ball hit Havertz arm at such a height that it's not an offence, or someone completely fecked up.

If they've managed to introduce a situation where the handball is punishable, but since the WBA player tried to clear it and 4 secs later the ball is in the back of the net, they feel that "enough passage of play" has passed, then they've actually managed to make the rules even worse than they already were. Given the fact that Riley is still in charge of things, the latter wouldn't really surprise me, no idea how that incompetent tit still has a job after the shitshow he was responsible for last season.

snk123

I'm finished with football.

"And Solskjaer has won it... once VAR checks it"

So many great moments in my life wouldn't have happened if I was waiting for fecking VAR to check them first.

VAR has sucked the big moments out of football. We can't get emotional and hug a stranger after a last minute goal anymore because VAR has to check it first.

And then there's the decisions they get wrong. A referee can make a mistake, that's fine. But for multiple referees to make a mistake after watching a replay 20 times. I can't handle it any longer. feck this shit
This. Even though I am pro VAR - it really is taking the excitement away from the big moments.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Depends. I'm just saying that VAR doesn't mean we have to check every single thing.
No but when someone justifies the use of it as the game must have the right decisions, changed outcomes of games etc, where do you stop if they’re that adamant that the correct decision is be all and end all when it comes to a game of football

cyberman

It wasn’t
But what if it was? The exact same scenario but the flag goes up.
You didnt not celebrate the winner either so lets keep up the make believe.
Thats a moment lost to time if a linsman has a mare, VAR is there to make sure those moments arent ripped away.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thats a moment lost to time if a linsman has a mare, VAR is there to make sure those moments arent ripped away.
Don’t know what you’re on about now. Ole scored wtf is this what if?
And there’s just as much chance of VAR fecking a team over these days as there is to saving the day for another team

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’ve honestly read this sentence a few times and I just can’t make sense of it. What are you trying to say. What the hell does you didn’t not mean

Le Red

Don’t know what you’re on about now. Ole scored wtf is this what if?
And there’s just as much chance of VAR fecking a team over these days as there is to saving the day for another team
No there isn't. VAR is getting most calls right.
Lots of things to improve on but so far it successfully reversed hundreds of wrong calls.
It's a big success and will keep improving, checks will become faster and more accurate. In fact, it already improved a lot since day 1.
It's impossible to argue with VAR haters, they just deny everything VAR is doing right and willfully ignore the reason VAR was needed in the first place.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Lots of things to improve on but so far it successfully reversed hundreds of wrong calls.
It's a big success and will keep improving, checks will become faster and more accurate. In fact, it already improved a lot since day 1.
It's impossible to argue with VAR haters, they just ignore everything VAR is doing right and willfully ignore the reason VAR was needed in the first place.
Have you watched today’s football? VAR watching handballs in slow motion fecking teams over.
you can say it’s the rule and not VAR all you want but these rules are being changed to make football more black and white to accommodate VAR. also the use of slow mo when viewing these incidents is hysterical

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's impossible to argue with VAR haters, they just deny everything VAR is doing right and willfully ignore the reason VAR was needed in the first place.
How do you work this out? More accurate decisions when they get used to VAR? Or more accurate decisions when they get used to the rules?

Matthew84!

Why argue over something that's here to stay, they've made the hand ball rule in line with Europe, we'll see lots of pens this season, doubt we'll see one as late as ours thou :)

UncleBob

Ofcourse VAR is getting most calls right, essentially what they've done is create VAR friendly rules which makes things piss easy, which is the entire problem here. They're spending 5mins trying to figure out if the left bollocks is an inch offside or not with players running in opposite directions, it's meaningless but black and white. As if it had any implication on the outcome of the situation that someones toe was a few inches offside.

The problem is related to turning this into 1 and 0's, no common sense needed, no leeway.. Like the handball rule, which was stupid enough last season but they've ended up making it even worse this season, where people are left with VAR making decisions that are completely against how things should be.

Nas-JR

I can only grasp that Rule 14 states if an attacking player encroaches into the box before ball is kicked, and penalty is scored, the a retake is required. Very simple.
A defending player cant sit on the line as referee has to ensure all outfield players are outside before the kick taken.
This does not seem that way it is enacted in the prem...If this is the case then like you say anytime a player is caught encroaching when the pen is scored should be punished (and there are clearly no excuses of the ref not seeing it).

If this is the most updated versions of the rules then I have no idea what they're doing but I suspect they're enacting it the way I described it (as they've been fairly consistent with it!).

Tyrion

No but when someone justifies the use of it as the game must have the right decisions, changed outcomes of games etc, where do you stop if they’re that adamant that the correct decision is be all and end all when it comes to a game of football
It's not the be all and end all. It's just important. Saying "where does it stop" can be used against anything. You can just reverse it and say "So we should get rid of VAR? Why not get rid of goal line technology? Or assistant referees? Or whistles? Where does it stop!?" The answer to where does it stop is somewhere in the middle.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's not the be all and end all. It's just important. Saying "where does it stop" can be used against anything. You can just reverse it and say "So we should get rid of VAR? Why not get rid of goal line technology? Or assistant referees? Or whistles? Where does it stop!?" The answer to where does it stop is somewhere in the middle.
:lol: Nice try with your reverse example. My where does it stop is about the implementation of new VAR possible calls. Yours makes no sense and is on about removing whistles? :lol:

would you like VAR to also look at corner or throw in decisions? Or would you like them to look at incidents outside the box that could be a foul and second yellow? Or are you happy with just what it’s checking? I think both those can change the outcome of games too.

Tyrion

:lol: Nice try with your reverse example. My where does it stop is about the implementation of new VAR possible calls. Yours makes no sense and is on about removing whistles? :lol:
You don't know what hyperbole is, do you?

would you like VAR to also look at corner or throw in decisions? Or would you like them to look at incidents outside the box that could be a foul and second yellow? Or are you happy with just what it’s checking? I think both those can change the outcome of games too.
I think it should be used slightly less.

Anything can be used to change the outcome of a game. Obviously we shouldn't check everything but that doesn't mean we should check nothing.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You don't know what hyperbole is, do you?

I think it should be used slightly less.

Anything can be used to change the outcome of a game. Obviously we shouldn't check everything but that doesn't mean we should check nothing.
I agree, I like goal line tech

NinjaFletch

Can you tell me how it is possible for the EXACT SAME THING to happen within 2 seconds of each other and VAR can decide that one is a red card and the other isn't?

Hephaestus

Can you tell me how it is possible for the EXACT SAME THING to happen within 2 seconds of each other and VAR can decide that one is a red card and the other isn't?
Only thing I can think of is intention but that's BS. It's just VAR being useless as per fecking usual.

Tyrion

I think that either there is a rule that means retaliation gets punished but the original violent conduct is allowed (which would be stupid) or the guy behind VAR bottled it. They both did the exact same thing.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Could clubs file lawsuits against the regulators?

I want the mistakes to be understandable, so let's go back to how it was.

MikeeMike

No problem with your opinion really but for me it is a binary rule and so much clearer without a “common sense “ factor which clouds decisions. By your logic , a ball 1mm over the line should not be a gaol as common sense should apply. A player 1mm offside - the same. Its impossible to manage a consistent ruling if 3mm is ok and 4mm not..
Was the VAR penalty retake justified tonight or should common sense have applied.

Redlyn

VAR has pros and cons. The pro is the errors that are obvious to everyone but the ref can be reduced but the cons is this nitpicking over mm that before would have been not spotted or just ignored. However if you will use it you gotta use it fully even if it's a mm or it becomes ambiguous when and offside is offside enough to be called. So it annoying such as that penalty retake but if we are going to use it I dont see an alternative.

MikeeMike

I'm finished with football.

"And Solskjaer has won it... once VAR checks it"

So many great moments in my life wouldn't have happened if I was waiting for fecking VAR to check them first.

VAR has sucked the big moments out of football. We can't get emotional and hug a stranger after a last minute goal anymore because VAR has to check it first.

And then there's the decisions they get wrong. A referee can make a mistake, that's fine. But for multiple referees to make a mistake after watching a replay 20 times. I can't handle it any longer. feck this shit
Actually the only reason I detest it as it is so misused and flawed for miniscule differences in opinion.
Soon, in a final or a title decider, there will be lawsuits.

My personal view, and feel free to disagree /challenge or offer feedback.
VAR MANDATE
Shall be used where:
A clear and obvious error, decision or missed incident has occurred (officials) . i.e Henry handball, Lampard over the line (england).
If , within 2 minutes, VAR cannot clearly overturn an officials decision ( once declared as under review), then the original decision stands.
A “Flag on the play” is thrown by a designated representative (One for Home team, One per Away team). Upon this flag, play is stopped and the officials review the challenge.

I wrote this partially knowing I would be ridiculed but hope it can stimulate some serious discussion for a way forward as VAR is not going away.