Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Didnt watch that game but apparently from earlier :rolleyes: :

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Didnt watch that game but apparently from earlier :rolleyes: :

It’s because they’re Not even in the room sometimes are they? I doubt they’re watching it religiously and are just eating biscuits waiting for a goal to rule out or the ref to ask them something. Well they’re obviously not watching it with a close eye or they would have seen that

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I'll say I dislike it, because I actually quite enjoy the football culture of discussing decisions among fans. Where would we be if Germany and England couldn't discuss that infamous Wembley goal ad nauseum? It's a bit of a joke, sure, but it's fun. Same with that goal in 2010 that wasn't given despite being a foot inside the goal... and VAR robs people of the explosive rush that a goal is when it's so long after the fact. Was he offside or not? We'll find out, stay tuned!

I'm only waiting for TV broadcasters to figure out that they can squeeze a commercial in right there... "This VAR decision is brought to you by Betandwin, there are moments when anything is possible. Betandwin, in the spirit of the game!" Ugh.
If I wasn't so bone-idle I'd go out and copyright 'Betandwin' tomorrow morning. Although someone may have already done so, watch out!

jlecesne

I would like to see VAR evolve to a system where teams challenge calls/situations that the do not agree with. Tennis has the best review system. The umpire does not initiate a review on each close call. Players challenge calls that they don't agree with and they have a certain number of times they can be incorrect before they run out of challenges.

One example could be:

Now with every team getting 5 substitutions, those could be leveraged in the challenges. If a team feels a call is incorrect they can initiate VAR. If the call is changed in their favor, they keep all of their substitutions. If the call stands, they lose a substitution.

Reviewing every big call is getting time consuming and tedious. If it moves to a challenge system we will see less millimetre offside and nit picky reviews. Teams will only want to challenge if they feel they have a good chance of overturning the call on the field.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It’s because they’re Not even in the room sometimes are they? I doubt they’re watching it religiously and are just eating biscuits waiting for a goal to rule out or the ref to ask them something. Well they’re obviously not watching it with a close eye or they would have seen that
They could have been taking the day off for all i care but if that lineman can't see that even in its peripheral vision then there's no hope.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City

cyberman

He kind of sweeps Bruno at the same time. Its a weird one.

Its not as if VAR gave it, cant see why it gets any blame

acnumber9

He kind of sweeps Bruno at the same time. Its a weird one.

Its not as if VAR gave it, cant see why it gets any blame
Because they can watch it more than once. They’ve watched it and thought, yeah that’s the right decision.

Jev

Very clearly not a penalty. Hard to see the point of VAR when they're not reversing that.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
That was never a penalty. Thank God we have VAR to get these decisions right.

El Zoido

I thought it was a penalty, Bruno had the ball and the defender was nowhere near it. Went through him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I genuinely can’t work that one out.

He over committed and could never have anticipated Bruno’s roulette and he definitely impeded Bruno so I can understand it being given on that basis but equally what Bruno did was so unconventional and seemingly out of control and it felt like it was his fault more than anything.

cyberman

Because they can watch it more than once. They’ve watched it and thought, yeah that’s the right decision.
Or the ref has said he has seen it clearly and its a pen? The ref has a perfect view of it and if his minds made up then its on him

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
the player stopped a yard from Bruno who jumps and lands halfway up the defenders shin, not a penalty in the slightest, if anything its dangerous play by Bruno

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Disgraceful decsion the refs should be sent packing. Could cost villa their safety.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
We won't be relegated because of that but still annoying given how well we were doing at 0-0. Man. United are playing well enough without needing cheap penalties all the time.

More annoying is how I naively assumed VAR wouldn't be manipulated and we'd get more fair decisions. Just mates looking out for other mates when they're looking at decisions.

Give we now have drink breaks in each half it's also ridiculous they're still saying refs going to monitors would slow down the game. Insult to people they don't go for a look when it's a decision like that.

mu4c_20le

Bruno clearly jumps into the defender, seriously mate at least try and be honest
The only thing he did was exaggarate the pain, defender clearly went through him. The trailing leg would have got him down as well.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
The only thing he did was exaggarate the pain, defender clearly went through him. The trailing leg would have got him down as well.
ok you're clearly just trolling the contact is initiated by Bruno who lands halfway up the defenders shin, if he was also diving for a penalty the defender ends up with a badly broken leg

mu4c_20le

ok you're clearly just trolling the contact is initiated by Bruno who lands halfway up the defenders shin, if he was also diving for a penalty the defender ends up with a badly broken leg
Keep posting stills of the stamp, thats your only argument here tbf.

I really hope Bruno 'jumps' into Soyuncu in a few weeks.

Rafaeldagold

Have to say it’s never a pen. But as I’ve said before VAR is still relying on subjective decision making which is why it’s a pointless addition to the game. Just spreads more confusion

SmallCaine

I don't see why people are blaming var for this? Its a penalty for some and not a penalty for some depending on your view. Bruno definitely initiated contact but at the same time where exactly is he supposed to land, the defender didn't give him any space and definitely impeded him. Var can't interfere on this one.

Decade long lurker

Was a strange one. Can see why the ref gave it in real time but can’t see why it wasn’t overturned. Stockley park not wanting to show up the on field official most likely.

mu4c_20le

Think maybe because it has to be a clear and obvious error from the ref to overturn, which it wasnt