Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

cyberman

Great use of VAR. I spotted the handball as soon as it was played across but Neville and Tyler are too busy making up fake conversations between Aguero and Pep to even glance at the replays.
At what point does Laporte tell his teammates he handled the ball? He knows its going to be ruled yet he's over jumping on Jesus

Revan

Assumptionman
It is absurd that people are complaining that an illegal goal was disallowed because of VAR. If nothing else, VAR is to be praised.

Anyway, the majority of fans and clubs are all for VAR so the Neanderthals can instead watch games from fifties on black and white where obviously everything was better.

cyberman

Im just talking about luck. Getting away with something that the ref happened to miss. Or being on the other end of that. We’re trying to eliminate those instances, which in turn will close off certain ways we’ve always processed results, or justified them, or excused them.
it'll never happen. Too many fans are obsesses with the narrative of football rather than sport so they rally against correct calls because the last minute goal was so dramatic it has to stand.
Look at Redknapp today. Literally reads out the handball rule and not 5 seconds later he's saying it shouldn't be given because both were going for it, nobody appealed and its harsh.
Its why pundits are rallying against it, football follows the rules in their head and not whats actually in play.

cvb

Supports
City
That 61% in favour makes me hopeful they never remove VAR. Games have become more fairer already and it is only going to get better. If they also introduce bookings for cynical fouls via VAR that would be a great next step.
It has made certain calls more accurate, but not made games fairer. VAR presents the opportunity for the laws to be applied more within the spirit of the game, because replays can identify nuances that can be missed at full speed.

Instead, it’s being used to hyper-legislate, which undermines the whole premise because the technology cannot be 100% accurate (players blocking certain angles, figuring out when the ball is played etc).

cyberman

It's for TV viewers isn't it? It's not for match going fans, and more importantly not for players, just the boys at home watching on their phones and laptops. feck the history, how the game started and how it's actually about playing football, it's become about wankers in their bedrooms who can't take the way the world really works.
Without VAR Spurs would have missed out on a CL final run and a huge point today. A point that 99 percent of the league will not win.
Why is that hard to grasp? Is cheering illegal goals really that important to you?

Foxbatt

it'll never happen. Too many fans are obsesses with the narrative of football rather than sport so they rally against correct calls because the last minute goal was so dramatic it has to stand.
Look at Redknapp today. Literally reads out the handball rule and not 5 seconds later he's saying it shouldn't be given because both were going for it, nobody appealed and its harsh.
Its why pundits are rallying against it, football follows the rules in their head and not whats actually in play.
What an idiot Redknapp is. I never knew that in football you have to appeal for a foul to be given. Where do these imbeciles come from?

Let me also say that when " hawkeye" was brought into cricket the same kind of arguments started about taking the power of the umpire etc but now it is part and parcel of the game and everyone accepts that it is better to make the exact correct call instead of leaving it to human error as millions of money is involved in those decisions.
yes I understand about the penalties but at least in these instances there is no ambiguity. If it hits a hand of the attacking team and if a goal is scored then it is not a goal. Incidentally if I remember correctly City had been at the receiving end of a goal being scored against them that came off of a Wolves player's hand and City did complain but it was the days before VAR so it stood. If it had VAR then that goal against City would not have stood.

Last edited:

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Without VAR Spurs would have missed out on a CL final run and a huge point today. A point that 99 percent of the league will not win.
Why is that hard to grasp? Is cheering illegal goals really that important to you?
With VAR Spurs still shouldn't have made the CL final because Llorente's goal should've been ruled out for handball. It wasn't ruled out because the camera angle that showed handball wasn't made available to the referee (for the record, I'd rather neither Llorente's goal or Laporte's assist should've been called). You can support VAR and still accept that its implementation is currently significantly flawed.

NecssryEvil

I do forget quickly, that was the blown pass interference call? I.R. sucks—In fact I think it’s gotten worse the longer it’s been around. I don’t even understand what a completed catch is anymore.
You missed my sarcasm because they did miss it, it was obvious that it was a blatant error but not reversed at the time. They reviewed the rules in the offseason and changed them to include being able to overturn something like that, but too late for NO. Same thing for the tuck rule and probably a couple others I have forgotten. That is my biggest worry here is that they will start expanding what they do and don’t look at based on public outcry, like the 1 penalty shout for City today. No doubt that the further along VAR goes the more things they will look at. The reviews are already too long and if we add more and more things to review...

Bottom line for me is that players make mistakes, coaches make mistakes and refs make mistakes, should have left it be. They say it is only to correct clear and obvious errors to remove controversy, but all it is doing is moving the controversy to a made for tv reality show situation. In the meantime, the flow of the game and atmosphere in the stadium suffer. It’s a tourniquet for a paper cut.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hate it. Taking the fun factor out the game. I can no longer run around my house in celebration of a goal just encase VAR comes into play.

ForestRGoinUp

No single team and no single result matters that much. If Spurs don’t go on so what? The reasonable fans are smart enough to realize that offsides call is negligible and no advantage was gained. The agony adds to their overall story. I do understand that is a little tougher to grasp, so I would never hold you to that.

The sport has gone from one governed by people with a reasonable margin of error to one governed by cameras and minuscule technicalities.

Alemar

It’s all very easy: illegal goal should never stand. Regardless of the magnitude of the match, intensity of the moment and timing of the goal.

If it’s offside or handball or other foul - goal should not stand, period.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Just saw the city highlights, what a shit decision. The offence is still titled deliberate handball but is interpreted totally differently. Not sure if VAR or the new handball rules are to blame (I think they feed into each other).

SaintMuppet

Any problem lies with the rules themself not VAR.

If a rule is suitably and correctly worded then VAR simply cannot be wrong. Any problems or ambiguity lies with the rule itself and VAR attempt to interpret it.

The handball rule at the center of today’s incident is very clear, therefore as long as the ball did indeed touch the player prior to becoming a goal then VAR was right to disallow.

The decision could still be questioned should say the ball brush an arm then a head then a leg before going in as the hand does not ‘directly’ cause a goal. But again the owness is on the rule itself to be clear.

In any case City fans are pissed and that is good enough for me. And in this case they don’t have a leg to stand on.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The whole thing was invented for modern day snowflakes that can't handle a bad decision against them. Even if the technology was there in past era's i'm sure the idea would have been laughed out of the room if somebody suggested it.
People still use this word? :lol:

Womp

idiot
It saps the excitement out of it for one of the parties, that being said though, one of the parties are always going to have the fun sucked out for them. Even without VAR, how do you think the fans who incorrectly lose a game at a vital moment etc. feel?

Whilst it diminishes the excitement, there's too much money in the game and it's far too competitive now for it to be left to human error. The correct decision should stand. Too much at stake these days.

The rules and standard of officiating does need to be improved though. Far too much grey area. If you're going to implement a system to try and reduce incorrect decisions, you can't have so many vital rules that are left to the interpretation of the referee.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People still use this word? :lol:
It's always reassuring when people on the other side of an argument start using the word "snowflake", this being the second anti-VAR poster I've seen make that complaint in the last couple of hours.

Mr Smith

Now don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the fallout on the Blue moon meltdown thread as much as the next guy, but I do think that was a ridiculous decision. In my view the contact with the hand didn't sufficiently alter the flight of the ball.

I'm still fiercely pro-VAR, and ultimately it's not a VAR problem, it's a problem with the laws of the game.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It's always reassuring when people on the other side of an argument start using the word "snowflake", this being the second anti-VAR poster I've seen make that complaint in the last couple of hours.
Similar to all those pro var with their Neanderthal comments

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Similar to all those pro var with their Neanderthal comments
A quick search of my own posts tells me I've never called anyone a Neanderthal so I'm happy to agree, feck those guys too.

Obviously calling people luddites is perfectly legitimate though. *cough* :nervous:

Mr Smith

Hate it. Taking the fun factor out the game. I can no longer run around my house in celebration of a goal just encase VAR comes into play.
This has always seemed silly to me. You make it sound like every goal has the potential to be chalked off by VAR. In reality, itll only happen if something illegal has occured in the buildup. You can still celebrate, you just now have the potential risk of that joy turning into despair in a few minutes. If anything, it adds to the drama.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Has anyone mentioned that they seem to be misinterpreting the rule change re handball? Surely it only applies if a goal is scored from the handball? e.g. Henry vs Ireland. Where do the new rules talk about handball in the build up to a goal? Because that sort of interpetation is unworkable? How far back does the review go?!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Now don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the fallout on the Blue moon meltdown thread as much as the next guy, but I do think that was a ridiculous decision. In my view the contact with the hand didn't sufficiently alter the flight of the ball.

I'm still fiercely pro-VAR, and ultimately it's not a VAR problem, it's a problem with the laws of the game.
It’s a stupid and unnecessary rule change which was forced by the introduction of VAR. Without VAR that rule would not have changed.

killerboi2

A quick search of my own posts tells me I've never called anyone a Neanderthal so I'm happy to agree, feck those guys too.

Obviously calling people luddites is perfectly legitimate though. *cough* :nervous:
Yeah, I saw your post towards the other poster about self service machines and how we are arguing against them as well. No, this is nonsense in my opinion. Self service machines were invented for convenience and actually serve a purpose. The majority against them are the people who struggle to use them.

VAR was brought in purely because snowflakes (yeah damn right i'm gonna call them what they are) can't handle bad decisions. I'm sure there is some PR garbage out there giving other reasons of why it was brought in, but that is the crux of the matter. It definitely shouldn't be accepted because technology is everywhere in soceity. I'm sure younger people are also appalled at what's going on as well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Has anyone mentioned that they seem to be misinterpreting the rule change re handball? Surely it only applies if a goal is scored from the handball? e.g. Henry vs Ireland. Where do the new rules talk about handball in the build up to a goal? Because that sort of interpetation is unworkable? How far back does the review go?!
The new rule includes a player gaining control/possession of the ball after it touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity.

Carolina Red

Staff
How quickly we forget... If it wasn’t for instant replay, New Orleans would have gotten screwed and not made it to the Super Bowl last year.
I do forget quickly, that was the blown pass interference call? I.R. sucks—In fact I think it’s gotten worse the longer it’s been around. I don’t even understand what a completed catch is anymore.
You two do know that PI wasn’t reviewable under last year’s rules, right?

Womp

idiot
Yeah, I saw your post towards the other poster about self service machines and how we are arguing against them as well. No, this is nonsense in my opinion. Self service machines were invented for convenience and actually serve a purpose. The majority against them are the people who struggle to use them.

VAR was brought in purely because snowflakes (yeah damn right i'm gonna call them what they are) can't handle bad decisions. I'm sure there is some PR garbage out there giving other reasons of why it was brought in, but that is the crux of the matter. It definitely shouldn't be accepted because technology is everywhere in soceity. I'm sure younger people are also appalled at what's going on as well.
Are people anti-VAR also snowflakes because they can't handle the despair with an illegitimate goal being classed as such?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

As I said to the other poster, at least we know you'll stoically deal with all these changes without complaint then. After all, a non-snowflake such as yourself couldn't possibly be bothered by something as trivial as changes to the rules of a football game.

As for young people being appalled, the majority on this site are in favour of VAR so.... *shrugs*

ForestRGoinUp

It saps the excitement out of it for one of the parties, that being said though, one of the parties are always going to have the fun sucked out for them. Even without VAR, how do you think the fans who incorrectly lose a game at a vital moment etc. feel?

Whilst it diminishes the excitement, there's too much money in the game and it's far too competitive now for it to be left to human error. The correct decision should stand. Too much at stake these days.

The rules and standard of officiating does need to be improved though. Far too much grey area. If you're going to implement a system to try and reduce incorrect decisions, you can't have so many vital rules that are left to the interpretation of the referee.
On the contrary, they’re all paid more than enough to deal with it. And it is a game after all, an event put on to entertain.

NecssryEvil

You two do know that PI wasn’t reviewable under last year’s rules, right?
It wasn’t at the time but it is now. Several time IR has been tweaked after a blatant error and public outcry. That’s my biggest concern with VAR being introduced, where does it end?

ForestRGoinUp

How does it feel knowing you’re losing the poll to a bunch of “dorks” and “snowflakes”?
Like pretty much everything else in life. The world is collectively getting dumber and more incapable of accessing their own feelings and opinions. If someone else can tell them what to think, all the better.

ForestRGoinUp

How does it feel knowing you’re losing the poll to a bunch of “dorks” and “snowflakes”?
And I’ll walk away from the sport anyway when the fight is lost. Done it with several others that have lost their way. Know I can’t talk any sense into you, resident mouth breather and NFL honk though, so this is goodnight for now.

Carolina Red

Staff
It wasn’t at the time but it is now. Several time IR has been tweaked after a blatant error and public outcry. That’s my biggest concern with VAR being introduced, where does it end?
With the rules being applied correctly...?
Like pretty much everything else in life. The world is collectively getting dumber and more incapable of accessing their own feelings and opinions. If someone else can tell them what to think, all the better.
(Old man yells at cloud)
Indeed :D

shahzy

Imagine not wanting var in the game because you don't want the right decisions