Get rid of VAR NOW! We want our game back! (...or not, some are happy)

VAR - Love or Hate?

• Total voters

Fully Fledged

The game is perfect when it's not perfert. Like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you're going to get That'smakes it exciting. Referee feck ups, a cheeky handball, feeling wronged or cheated, then nicking an undeserved win, a last min offside goal.

I don't want to see analysis of how an otherwise beautiful goal was a hairline offside or not.
I want to feel the dread of being reffed by Michael Oliver and giving him shit. I dont want to take all the mistakes out of football.
Nore me

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
We have a chance to eradicate most errors in the game, and with time it will become better and quicker. I see no issue whatsoever, the game is constantly changing and this is one of those transition periods, stop being so stuck in the past.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
There should be a love/ hate relationship option

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
In tennis and cricket the VAR makes decisions based on the smallest of millimetres and the fans love it and stand by it. In football it is called too pedantic and fussy... FML

Fully Fledged

In tennis and cricket the VAR makes decisions based on the smallest of millimetres and the fans love it and stand by it. In football it is called too pedantic and fussy... FML
In cricket you get half a ball discrepancy where they go with the umpires decision.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
In cricket you get half a ball discrepancy where they go with the umpires decision.
Yes but take the run out decisions or the snickometer.. they wouldn’t say it’s such a small sound it’s not worth giving out.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
To be fair it’s still based on mm because that’s all there is between more than half the ball hitting or missing. That was more to do with the “guesswork” of predicting where the ball would go after impact on the pads anyway, something that’s not an issue here.

Terminator

Cricket does it best no doubt. Until it's clear and obvious, onfield umpire will not be overruled. This allows a margin of error as well.

luke511

Watching the ref look at the screen on the sideline at least adds a bit of tension to the decision, and you get a much better idea of what's going on. The way they're doing it in the prem completely kills it.

Terminator

To be fair it’s still based on mm because that’s all there is between more than half the ball hitting or missing. That was more to do with the “guesswork” of predicting where the ball would go after impact on the pads anyway, something that’s not an issue here.
Tech can have a chance of going wrong even here. A single frame could alter the whole decision and render a offside goal onside or vice versa.

Rista

VAR is a pretty shit tool for offsides. Player scores a goal, VAR checks for offside, goal allowed to stand. Delayed celebration but at least the game is fair, alright. Minutes later linesman flags for offside on the other side of the pitch, stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity. Video replays show no offside and... nothing.

VAR on the whole does not destroy the game nor does it make it completely fair. Both the amount of refereeing mistakes and the effect it has on emotions and romance of the game are valid arguments imo. There is a reason not many opposed to goal line tech vs what VAR does to the game.

R'hllor

Lets not take decisions away from incompetent clowns like this one from Spurs vs Villa, discussion in pubs guaranteed

Makelele

Should only be used for extraordinary circumstances like looking into red card offences and such.

It takes away something vital from football. Before this season, if you saw XX player curl it in the top bin you could let emotions roll out. Now, there is a feeling of "wait let us see if VAR approves this. Oh it did. Nice goal.". I think football will lose out, but it will take years before the real effects are seen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
VAR is a pretty shit tool for offsides. Player scores a goal, VAR checks for offside, goal allowed to stand. Delayed celebration but at least the game is fair, alright. Minutes later linesman flags for offside on the other side of the pitch, stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity. Video replays show no offside and... nothing.

VAR on the whole does not destroy the game nor does it make it completely fair. Both the amount of refereeing mistakes and the effect it has on emotions and romance of the game are valid arguments imo. There is a reason not many opposed to goal line tech vs what VAR does to the game.
Which is why linesmen have been told not to flag in that scenario. If they do then the problem isn't VAR, it's the linesman being a moron.

Norris Cole

Have been very impressed with the speed of decisions so far. Seems the PL have thought about this well and are utilising it sensibily and not avoiding disruption to the tempo of the games

Rista

Which is why linesmen have been told not to flag in that scenario. If they do then the problem isn't VAR, it's the linesman being a moron.
In other words slowing the game down more often. It's just a shitty solution, for offsides we need something much faster.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
and they just bottled a spurs pen

soft looking but I think it was
The handball? Nah, the PL said before the season started that they were going to be less strict on that sort of thing than the CL or World Cup(s) were. Again, not a VAR problem.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

I love awful refereeing decisions completely altering the outcome of games, there would be nothing to talk about otherwise :drool:

montpelier

The handball? Nah, the PL said before the season started that they were going to be less strict on that sort of thing than the CL or World Cup(s) were. Again, not a VAR problem.
I considered that & still think it was. Arm all over the place. In the soft category, mind.

And nothing, not a sausage, will EVER be a VAR problem for you, anyway.

edit: the debate is very like that mind, I can't claim to be any better.

Rista

Should only be used for extraordinary circumstances like looking into red card offences and such.

It takes away something vital from football. Before this season, if you saw XX player curl it in the top bin you could let emotions roll out. Now, there is a feeling of "wait let us see if VAR approves this. Oh it did. Nice goal.". I think football will lose out, but it will take years before the real effects are seen.
The worst is "oh it didn't, it looks like there was a small foul earlier on the other side of the pitch". A foul which is only checked because a goal has been scored and would have been completely ignored otherwise. These scenarios will become more common as refs will be instructed to wave the play on and rely on VAR later.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I considered that & still think it was. Arm all over the place. In the soft category, mind.

And nothing, not a sausage, will EVER be a VAR problem for you, anyway.
Ha, I've actually happily criticized VAR plenty of times. I'm just of the perverse opinion that it should be criticized for things it gets wrong rather than right. Not my fault that the latter happens so much more often. :)

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
The game is perfect when it's not perfert. Like a box of chocolates, you don't know what you're going to get That'smakes it exciting. Referee feck ups, a cheeky handball, feeling wronged or cheated, then nicking an undeserved win, a last min offside goal.

I don't want to see analysis of how an otherwise beautiful goal was a hairline offside or not.
I want to feel the dread of being reffed by Michael Oliver and giving him shit. I dont want to take all the mistakes out of football.
Except if you read the labeling you know what you'll get in a box of chocolates...

montpelier

The worst is "oh it didn't, it looks like there was a small foul earlier on the other side of the pitch". A foul which is only checked because a goal has been scored and would have been completely ignored otherwise. These scenarios will become more common as refs will be instructed to wave the play on and rely on VAR later.
ALL decisions are potentially THAT relevant though.

The get around as I understand it is now how long ago it happens before the goal. With non-decisioning being a little bit encouraged because VAR can allegedly sort it out on review. The game keeps moving is the priority I think.

It's a tendency towards ALL decisions having to be clear & obvious I think, & if it's too long ago, you're out of luck. It won't alter the small teams & the away teams teams not getting much. And now they won't get a lucky break or two & they can't cheat a bit either.

And it will be the home teams & the big teams getting the vast majority of the extra penalties most of us are anticipating.

We need an rvn

Nearly all other sports have it - rugby, nfl, nhl, athletics (ie, over the line on triple jump)...get with the times ffs. it's a great thing to see for a ref to see if it was a red card, goal, offside etc that they can't see from the naked eye.

Makes for more drama and also less conspiracy etc.

COME ON BRA

Stadjer

Linesman isnt supposed to flag. They have to let play go and the goal will be checked for offside afterwards. Linesman is only supposed to flag when it is totally clear.

Some linesman (and the lineswoman during Spurs game) didnt get the memo though.

Camilo

It's all just entertainment isn't it? I prefer the mistakes. I prefer the outrage, the discussions and arguments that follow, and that multi-billion pound companies have their on-field success determined by one man.

So VAR means less mistakes? So what?

Trophy Room

Cricket does it best no doubt. Until it's clear and obvious, onfield umpire will not be overruled. This allows a margin of error as well.
You should remember that it took a number of years of trial and error, and an improvement in technology before it was widely accepted as a positive thing.

cyberman

O
Tech can have a chance of going wrong even here. A single frame could alter the whole decision and render a offside goal onside or vice versa.
Has ot though? Apparently the. Technology has this down to fraction of millimetres and this what if scenarios simply haven't happened yet?
This thread is just old men screaming at technology that they haven't been walked through yet.

P4rthen0n

Supports
Benfica
VAR is awesome.
Yes, it kills a bit of the celebrations, but keeping the score as fair as possible is the most important thing.

Camilo

O
Has ot though? Apparently the. Technology has this down to fraction of millimetres and this what if scenarios simply haven't happened yet?
This thread is just old men screaming at technology that they haven't been walked through yet.
There's zero chance it's that accurate. Basic maths gives you all the detail you need. It's probably accurate enough, but let's not pretend it's anywhere near perfect.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
O
Again. Nothing to do with age.

The clear distinction is the people in the stadium (more important) v those not attending the games.

RedFish

You should remember that it took a number of years of trial and error, and an improvement in technology before it was widely accepted as a positive thing.
The classic resistance to change. For better or worse. Not to say one is right or wrong. Why fix something that ain't broke. The element of fortune/chance is a little eroded by such precise and exact regulation and application of rules. It's sterilising the product. I prefer it a bit less exact but that's just me.