Getting two wingers

OleGunnar20

Is Chong not a possible option for the right too?

United have lacked a RW for a while but it seems more likely that Solskjaer will use the likes of James, Lingered, Chong, and maybe Mata in this position and use the cash available to strengthen more pressing areas, with a centre back badly needed and the midfield needing to be changed up somewhat.
I'd say RW is the most pressing need we have in the squad at the mo. We've got Pogs in midfield who, when on song, is outstanding. Fred / McTominay I feel have potential to be pretty decent, whereas Matic / Pereira are serviceable.

Smalling and Lindelof are both decent at CB. Bailly and Jones (when fit) can serve a purpose, although not ideal. Tuanzebe has big potential.

RW I can't say I like relying on any of the available options.

Whole squad needs upgrading mind you, lots to do.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Pierluigi Casiraghi

@OleGunnar20

Agreed. Smalling isn't great but I much prefer him to Mata or Lingard. He probably isn't even much worse than either of them as a fecking right winger, can't believe we're going into another season with those useless tossers.

croadyman

I cannot see us signing a RW this summer unless it's someone completely out of leftfield. Really surprised that we aren't in for Ziyech for a relatively low release clause.

Think Pepe would be a quality option but lack of champions league has really hurt that one,looks so much like they will go back for Sancho before euros next summer as he seems the top target in that position.

OleGunnar20

I cannot see us signing a RW this summer unless it's someone completely out of leftfield. Really surprised that we aren't in for Ziyech for a relatively low release clause.

Think Pepe would be a quality option but lack of champions league has really hurt that one,looks so much like they will go back for Sancho before euros next summer as he seems the top target in that position.
I'd like to see Brooks brought in if we could do a deal for sub 50m.

Feel he'd be a great option this year, lots of upside potential - while also not being indespensible if Sancho were to become available next year. Lozano would work for me also in the same vein.

Sancho should no doubt be the long-term goal. It would be negligent to ignore it completely though and as many have said, I worry would cost us a top four finish.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Daniel James a right winger? Or at least he can play there?

Personally I think we are more in need of a DMF. Matic just can't cut it there anymore. A 20 goal striker would also come in handy but those are hard to find.

mad1max954

Not signing a quality right winger will cost us top 4.
I agree, it could add on 30 goals a season. We can’t continue to attack down one side only it makes us too predictable. Having someone on the right would make our left better too as teams wouldn’t be able to manage our play so easily.

Santos J

I think we're going to go all in for Sancho next summer if we finish top 4 so would be surprised if we do bring a right mid in this window. Will be a shame though, we desperately need one.

settembrini

The idea of not signing anyone for our weakest position because we are waiting for Sancho is dumb and I really hope we aren't that stupid.

Hawks2008

The idea of not signing anyone for our weakest position because we are waiting for Sancho is dumb and I really hope we aren't that stupid.
It's a bad idea to wait for someone who may not even join us. If he has another strong season and good showing at the Euros there will be far more competition for his signature than this window.

Fer

Besides Sancho, is there a better option than Chiesa or Pepe for our RW position?

Red Royal

I really hate this idea of waiting for Sancho or any other player. I hope it is just fans talk rather than club strategy. If a player doesn't want to join us (perhaps cos of no Champs League) we should look elsewhere. Players should be wanting to join us and desperate to play.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I liked the idea of Brooks, with a view to Sancho next year. Reason being that he's obviously a very good young player, but i think he'll end up more centrally. So he can cover that position for a season before moving centrally, where i think he'll finish up.

Alternatively Sancho can play down the left if Martial has another poor season.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Besides Sancho, is there a better option than Chiesa or Pepe for our RW position?
Fiorentina's new owners will ask for a similar amount to Sancho if they agree to sell in the first place.

Meanwhile, Ziyech & Pepe have agreements with their clubs to be sold this summer. Both would be fantastic for our RW imo.

izec

Fiorentina's new owners will ask for a similar amount to Sancho if they agree to sell in the first place.

Meanwhile, Ziyech & Pepe have agreements with their clubs to be sold this summer. Both would be fantastic for our RW imo.
I agree, especially Ziyech will be relatively cheap and can play on wing or more centrally. Pepe will cost 60m though, but better than no one. Chiesa might cost a lot, but i still dont think he would cost as much as Sancho, but more expensive than Pepe.

The most ridiculous thing is we dont seem to be interested in any wingers outside of Sancho. Would be typical for us to wait for Sancho and him to move elsewhere next year while we miss out on good players now for good fees. Unless we have an agreement with him, i wouldnt bet on him coming here seeing as our future is uncertain. We need better players for success to get Sancho in the first place.

3KDré

Chukwueze looks interesting, based on his pure technique and speed.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'd say let's get someone on the cheap like Bergwijn, Brooks or ziyech and then we bring Sancho next year. We can sell lingard and mata next season

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I think it's pretty clear the reason we've not moved for a RW is we're putting all our eggs in the Sancho basket next year... If we get top 4 that is.
I'd still have taken a chance on a cheaper option like Lozano though. If he fails, sell him next year, if he does well, then we've got options!

dasty

I feel that Malcom is a very good option. He is available for a reasonable price and has good potential.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I liked the idea of Brooks, with a view to Sancho next year. Reason being that he's obviously a very good young player, but i think he'll end up more centrally. So he can cover that position for a season before moving centrally, where i think he'll finish up.

I agree.

He appears to be a smart, hardworking player that is very flexible tactically. Howe even used him as a central midfielder in a couple of games (both against us and Man City), but he is obviously at his best as a right midfielder/winger or as an attacking midfielder through the middle. For us he would have been very well suited for several positions both if we play 4231, 433 or even the 4312 that we played in numerous games last year.

That type of flexibility would make him very valuable to us in my opinion. When we lose Pogba we will sometimes need more creative players in the middle of the pitch against low block teams. If we bring in a replacement to Pogba like Fernandes, Maddison or Lo Celso, a hardworking player with the tactical nous of Brooks would allow us to switch to a 433 with two creative players infront of a DM towards the end of games where we we need a goal. In these type of games, with players like Fernandes/Brooks in midfield, maybe Mata could come on and be useful towards the end of games? In my opinion, this type of sub towards the end of games where we need a goal, would be a step in the right direction compared to the Fellaini-sub we relied on for a few years.

Against better teams it would be brilliant to have an attacker like him, with a significant contribution off the ball. Pep Guardiola used Bernardo Silva a bit like this.

He would also add end-product to the team. When you look at his expected goal-involvement (xg + xga per 90 min) this season from attacking positions he is at 0,54. Jessie Lingards average from attacking positions for the past three seasons is as 0,41 (0,37 in 18/19). 32 % advantage of Brooks. Despite this being Brooks first season the PL for a rather poor/average team compared to Man Utd. His xGBuildup90, that always favours players at good teams, is approx the same (0,31 vs 0,30 in favour Jessie Lingard). In 18/19 it is 0,3 vs 0,28 in favour of Brooks. If you compare Brooks to flavour of the year, Maddison, the results are similar. Maddison has an expected goal involvement of 0,45 goals per 90 min. And Maddison only had an xgBuildup90 of 0,18 compared to Brooks' 0,3.

Brooks appears to be very underestimated this summer and we would be wise to get him now. Next year, we will probably face competition. In my opinion, if Pogba leaves, we should strongly consider getting both Maddison and Brooks. But I prefer Brooks. Maddison is not as flexible tactically, not as hard working off the ball and there are fewer players comparable to Brooks than Maddison where there should be several good options. It will probably be easier to negotiate with Bournmouth as well.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The club gave up on signing a winger the moment Mata signed that extension.

We all have to accept it. A right winger is not on our radar. It’s just utter incompetence.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The club gave up on signing a winger the moment Mata signed that extension.

We all have to accept it. A right winger is not on our radar. It’s just utter incompetence.
Yeh. I'm afraid this is the case.

ovoxo

I agree.

He appears to be a smart, hardworking player that is very flexible tactically. Howe even used him as a central midfielder in a couple of games (both against us and Man City), but he is obviously at his best as a right midfielder/winger or as an attacking midfielder through the middle. For us he would have been very well suited for several positions both if we play 4231, 433 or even the 4312 that we played in numerous games last year.

That type of flexibility would make him very valuable to us in my opinion. When we lose Pogba we will sometimes need more creative players in the middle of the pitch against low block teams. If we bring in a replacement to Pogba like Fernandes, Maddison or Lo Celso, a hardworking player with the tactical nous of Brooks would allow us to switch to a 433 with two creative players infront of a DM towards the end of games where we we need a goal. In these type of games, with players like Fernandes/Brooks in midfield, maybe Mata could come on and be useful towards the end of games? In my opinion, this type of sub towards the end of games where we need a goal, would be a step in the right direction compared to the Fellaini-sub we relied on for a few years.

Against better teams it would be brilliant to have an attacker like him, with a significant contribution off the ball. Pep Guardiola used Bernardo Silva a bit like this.

He would also add end-product to the team. When you look at his expected goal-involvement (xg + xga per 90 min) this season from attacking positions he is at 0,54. Jessie Lingards average from attacking positions for the past three seasons is as 0,41 (0,37 in 18/19). 32 % advantage of Brooks. Despite this being Brooks first season the PL for a rather poor/average team compared to Man Utd. His xGBuildup90, that always favours players at good teams, is approx the same (0,31 vs 0,30 in favour Jessie Lingard). In 18/19 it is 0,3 vs 0,28 in favour of Brooks. If you compare Brooks to flavour of the year, Maddison, the results are similar. Maddison has an expected goal involvement of 0,45 goals per 90 min. And Maddison only had an xgBuildup90 of 0,18 compared to Brooks' 0,3.

Brooks appears to be very underestimated this summer and we would be wise to get him now. Next year, we will probably face competition. In my opinion, if Pogba leaves, we should strongly consider getting both Maddison and Brooks. But I prefer Brooks. Maddison is not as flexible tactically, not as hard working off the ball and there are fewer players comparable to Brooks than Maddison where there should be several good options. It will probably be easier to negotiate with Bournmouth as well.

Really good analysis of the situation. Getting Brooks would add something different to our game.

Especially as it seems we’ll add Bruno in for Pogba and Longstaff for Matic. Looks like the ‘8’ role may not be filled this season and instead we go with McTominay or Fred. I think next season we could target a better player provided we get CL football. Possibly a Ruiz/Auoar?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Really good analysis of the situation. Getting Brooks would add something different to our game.

Especially as it seems we’ll add Bruno in for Pogba and Longstaff for Matic. Looks like the ‘8’ role may not be filled this season and instead we go with McTominay or Fred. I think next season we could target a better player provided we get CL football. Possibly a Ruiz/Auoar?
Thanks. Brooks appear to be a down to earth type too. From Warrington and a Man Utd-supporter from growing up (I read somewhere). In my opinion, he has the profile of someone who has the potential to be one of these «dressing rooms guardians» Neville talked about.

Not sure what will happen with the #8. If we sell Pogba I would not be too surprised if we bring in three midfielders, Longstaff, a #10 and one more. We will have lost Herrera, Pogba and Fellaini in less than 6 months.

Irrational.

This makes far too much sense. Brooks looks awesome. My only worry is if Bournemouth managed to get £20 million+ for Tyrone fecking Minge, I wonder how much they'd demand for Brooks. I'd pay up to £40-50 million for him as his potential is huge.

Suvvernmanc

We need a right winger that's not up for debate. But in my opinion we need top quality players to come in for one CB, 2 CM before the right winger position. And a replacement for Sanchez and Lukaku if they leave too.

That's 6 positions to potentially sort so something has to give because we ain't bringing in 6 top quality players for those positions in one summer.

We will be leaving the RW until next season I reckon.

wolvored

I think you will have Dalot and James play rw quite a lot with wan b behind them. Dalot looks better further up the pitch. We may have a gentlemans agreement with Sancho for next year. It seems odd no one else has tried to sign him.

romufc

We need a right winger that's not up for debate. But in my opinion we need top quality players to come in for one CB, 2 CM before the right winger position. And a replacement for Sanchez and Lukaku if they leave too.

That's 6 positions to potentially sort so something has to give because we ain't bringing in 6 top quality players for those positions in one summer.

We will be leaving the RW until next season I reckon.
I agree, we have deficiencies in so many areas, I would be happy for the RW to be brought in next year, hopefully Sancho if we get Champions League.

We need to address the issues at CM and CB in this window.

passing-wind

I'd have lost even more faith with the useless scouting reps if we don't table any bids for Brooks this summer. It would be like our club to try for Sancho next year, put all the eggs in one basket, fail top four and have a needless hole of incompetence at the RW position for yet another season. Mental level of stupidity.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I'd have lost even more faith with the useless scouting reps if we don't table any bids for Brooks this summer.
I feel similar. He is a rare opportunity and I don't really care if he costs £50-60 mill. Missing out on him will be similar to missing out on Mane, VvD and Kante.

Suvvernmanc

I agree, we have deficiencies in so many areas, I would be happy for the RW to be brought in next year, hopefully Sancho if we get Champions League.

We need to address the issues at CM and CB in this window.
Of course Sancho is the one we all want. Seems like the club are pursuing him too.

I bet Chong gets 15 -20 games this season.!!

Fer

If Sancho doesn't want to come here this summer, it's likely that he would think the same the next one. There's no guarantee that we are going to be back in the Champions League and compete for the league if we don't sign top players this transfer window.

Also, there are going to be more competition to sign Sancho next year, he could go to Liverpool, City, Bayern, PSG, etc. If we sell Pogba this summer, then we should use that money to get Sancho and a Pogba replacement.

Hawks2008

The decision not to sign a RW will cost us top 4, at which point Sancho probably still won't want to come and then we're still screwed.

Roberto420

The decision not to sign a RW will cost us top 4, at which point Sancho probably still won't want to come and then we're still screwed.
Yeah I really don't see the logic in this we will almost certainly not make top 4 without an out an out right winger something we've neglected since Valencia got pushed back to rb.

I'd personally like to see someone like Pepe he's big strong and fast so the physical aspect of the Prem would actually suit him, yeah he has a habit of dwelling on the ball but he's still young and has room for improvement, any time Lille were on BT last year I went out of my way to watch them especially to watch Pepe he really impressed me I love a good winger and him and chiesa are probably our best alternatives to sancho this window as out and out wingers.

And you can quote me if we don't address our right wing this summer Sancho won't join Utd next summer.

Jericholyte2

Is it feasible that they know they can’t get Sancho til next summer and so are looking at a diamond with a CAM pushing forwards and two strikers who can pull wide?

———Fernandes

Rashford———Martial

Then next season:

——CM———DM———Fernandes

Sancho——Rashford——Martial