Gianluigi Buffon to retire unless Juventus win Champions League

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout

Italy and Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon will retire at the end of the season unless his club win the Champions League.

The 39-year-old hopes to play in next summer's World Cup and would extend his career for the Club World Cup if Juventus won Europe's elite trophy.

The Serie A side have been beaten in the Champions League final twice in the past three years.

"This is my last season and I'm pretty sure of the choices I make," he said.

"One or two more years wouldn't add or take away from what I've already achieved.

"The only way would be to win the Champions League. At that point, to try to win the Club World Cup, maybe (Wojciech) Szczesny could play one game and me another.

"But I think with a goalkeeper like him behind it is normal that next year I'll stand aside," he told Sky Italia.

Buffon, who began his career at Parma before joining Juventus for £23m in 2001, was named goalkeeper of the year at Fifa's The Best awards on Monday.

He won the World Cup in 2006 and has also claimed eight Serie A titles, four Italian Cups and a Uefa Cup, but has never won the Champions League.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fair enough. Some career he’s had.

Why wouldn’t he retire if they win it? Surely you want to go on an even bigger high?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Aye, I read that. So is it just for that game, or would he carry on a whole extra season just for the club World Cup?

pascell

Aye, I read that. So is it just for that game, or would he carry on a whole extra season just for the club World Cup?
Extra season I guess as it's held around December time, don't think he'd retire straight after that, although that'd be the career high to retire on.

SirAF

Ageist
Goes to show some of the naysayers how highly rated the CWC is by the pros.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Highly doubt Juve will even get to the final this time but we’ll see. 2003 was his best chance, losing on penalties vs Milan. They were never really in the game against either Barca or Madrid.

PoTMS

At that point, to try to win the Club World Cup, maybe () Szczesny could play one game and me another.

"But I think with a goalkeeper like him behind it is normal that next year I'll stand aside," he told Sky Italia.
Wait, there’s another Wojciech Szczesny?

Skills

Snitch
Stepping aside for Sir Chesney? What the feck am i reading

Siorac

He's still only 39? I feel like he's been 40 for like 5 years at least.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Woj improved a lot at Roma and Van der Sar actually did the opposite (sh*t in Italy, great in the PL).

Alfie092

Sadly for him at least I don't think Juve would go beyond the semi-finals this year round... I may be wrong!

James Peril

I’d rather see Zlatan win the CL and retire from real football this season, but let’s not kid ourselves.....

izec

I would do the same. Winning the Club world cup would be the cherry on the CL cake. More trophies for Gigi, he is a winner

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
He never said he was any good. :lol:
"The only way would be to win the Champions League. At that point, to try to win the Club World Cup, maybe (Wojciech) Szczesny could play one game and me another.

"But I think with a goalkeeper like him behind it is normal that next year I'll stand aside,"
he told Sky Italia.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He wants to provoke his own destiny.

Brilliant superstitious man.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Highly doubt Juve will even get to the final this time but we’ll see. 2003 was his best chance, losing on penalties vs Milan. They were never really in the game against either Barca or Madrid.
That Nedved yellow card though... That changed the destiny of the final.