Gibson or Anderson?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Here's a hypothetical scenario. If Giggs, Scholes and Fletcher join Hargreaves in the physio room, who would y'all prefer to start alongside Carrick against Brum?

I've been thinking for a while now that seeing Gibson's name on the team-sheet gives me more confidence than Anderson. Goes without saying that Anderson is the more naturally talented of the two and when he's on song he can tear the opposition apart for fun. The problem is, when he's not playing well our central midfield deteriorates into one great big, massive cluster-feck. This happened with depressing frequency last season and the same has happened in every pre-season friendly this summer. When Anderson's on the pitch we look like a bunch of strangers - aimlessly passing the ball to the opposition - replace him and suddenly we look the business again. The second half today was a perfect example of this.

No doubt, this is gonna end up this year's version of my Tevez > Rooney thread about this time last summer but I'm a big believer in picking on form and I don't think Anderson has shown anything that would make him worthy of a place in the hypothetical scenario above. Conversely, Gibson finished the season with an excellent display and has picked up where he's left off.

Obviously, we've a whole bunch of players who look rusty at the moment - including none other than El Blanco Pele - so you probably shouldn't read too much into the pre-season games so far. However, based taking the last few games of last season into account - as well as the Asian friendlies - the current midfield pecking order for me is Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs (in no particular order) then Scholes (mainly on last season's form - although he looked sharp today, in fairness) and then Gibson, with Anderson bringing up the rear.

Does anyone else agree?

Or am I talking shite?

P.S. I'm hoping that Anderson turns it on over the next few weeks and I would be delighted if this thread is bumped and lol'd at before the first game of the season, or shortly after that. I think we need Anderson to have a really good season if we're gonna repeat last season's success so the more piss-taking I get, the better it is for United. Win win really :D

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Gibson for me, he reminds of Fletcher in the way that in every opportunity he's given he does his best.It may not be as flashy as Anderson's runs or dribbling at times but I think he's a more solid performer

Sam

Gibson. Been very impressed with him, think he's somewhat earned a place with his performances. Anderson needs to step it up.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
Gibson is solid but I get the feeling on his day Anderson has a greater chance of making something happen. That sounds pretty silly I guess considering Gibson has goals to his game but I can't help but feel Anderson has that something extra that is at times needed to break down stubborn teams, and I fully expect Birmingham to be one of those stubborn outfits.

Sam

Gibson is solid but I get the feeling on his day Anderson has a greater chance of making something happen. That sounds pretty silly I guess considering Gibson has goals to his game but I can't help but feel Anderson has that something extra that is at times needed to break down stubborn teams, and I fully expect Birmingham to be one of those stubborn outfits.
I actually think Gibson is more likely to provide a killer pass or a goal. Anderson for all his work and his effort...doesnt often provide those.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pogue forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't it you that was hailing the signing of Anderson when he first signed?

Assuring all of us of his abilities?

Again forgive me if I've mistaken you for another member

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Gibson deserve a chance really. And not just because he's more "solid" (a phrase that usually gets assigned to Brits/Irish), but because I think he is technically and mentally a very good player. Fantastic shot on him and he's starting to show an eye for the killer ball.

Think Anderson needs a kick up the arse in all honesty!

Merman

Anderson easily. Gibson is a very good player, but Anderson is in a different league imo. I'd take Gibson over Possebum though.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I actually think Gibson is more likely to provide a killer pass or a goal. Anderson for all his work and his effort...doesnt often provide those.
I'd say Anderson's much more likely to provide a killer pass than Gibson, even when off form.

Obviously Gibson's much more likely to score.

Basically I'd say it's between having Park-Anderson-Carrick-Valencia and Nani-Gibson-Carrick-Valencia, and I think I'd rather start the former.

Depends on the form of Nani as much as it does the form of Anderson, IMHO. I wouldn't start both, but I wouldn't start both Gibson and Park either, for opposing reasons - one's too attacking and one's too defensive.

Gibson's a reliable performer, but I think Park's proven himself to be more reliable. I'd say both Nani and Anderson are unreliable, but Anderson less so.#

Anderson for me.

Chris H

Video Posting God
Anderson scares me. When he's off, he's terrible. I know he's young, but you can only get away with that excuse for so long. Needs to step up this season.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I'm having this same debate in the newbies, except some are arguing Gibson is currently better then Anderson, and the general complaint is Anderson has had many awful games, Gibson has been excellent in his few.

I think it's rubbish, and to compare the two players in terms of overall ability, is ridiculous, but it seems, perhaps that's just me.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Pogue forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't it you that was hailing the signing of Anderson when he first signed?

Assuring all of us of his abilities?

Again forgive me if I've mistaken you for another member
I think we were all fairly excited when we signed him. I hadn't watched him much but he came with a stellar reputation and I pointed out that he was excellent against us in a friendly. Don't think I went any more overboard than that and I would never be daft to say any new signing was a guaranteed success*.

It was K14 that talked him up as the second coming.

*Nor would I be daft enough to write him off just yet. I still think there's every chance he's gonna be a monster player for us, one day.

Fitzjames

Its odd that six months ago, a group of United "fans" and I use the word loosely on here were slagging off Gibson at every opportunity.
Now they have fallen silent.
Six months ago I was supporting Gibson and urging caution.
I am still of the same opinion.

I value players who are not the headline grabbers. And unless it all goes to his head......Gibson strikes me as a guy who will be content to play a support role realising his limitations.
Neither Anderson or Gibson strike me as first XI.......YET!!

Anderson has had several opportunities and frankly looks out of his depth (he is still young) despite good touches.
Gibson has had fewer opportunities......and generally......against "lesser" opposition. He has ranged from ok to pretty good.
I think at the moment its a question of "solid player" against "flashy player".

We have to be frank and say that with Giggs and Scholes getting older and Hargreaves injuries.....and Carrick at times variable......we look lightweight in midfield. Like I say Gibson and Anderson are not ready yet.
Yet Gibson has clearly moved up the pecking order. Now clearly one of our top 20 in the squad, he will get a lot of time coming on as a sub.......whether its just to "rest" a player after going 3-0 up in the 80th minute.....or coming on after 70 minutes if we are a goal down......I dont have any doubt he deserves that.

Anderson CANT score. Gibson DOES score.
He can pick out a 30 yard drive if we really need it.
I think that gives him the edge.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Basically I'd say it's between having Park-Anderson-Carrick-Valencia and Nani-Gibson-Carrick-Valencia, and I think I'd rather start the former..
How'd you figure that out?

For me, the best two wingers right now are Park and Valencia, so we play the best two wingers regardless of who we pick in midfield. Why would picking Gibson oblige us to pick Nani? Are you saying Carrick, Gibson, Valencia and Park couldn't create and score goals?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I think it's rubbish, and to compare the two players in terms of overall ability, is ridiculous, but it seems, perhaps that's just me.
Agreed, which is why I tried to avoid doing so in my earlier post. Seems others have not done so though.

In answer to the hypothetical question of who I'd like to see start against Brum if all other options were injured it'd be Gibson because he's on very good form and hasn't had many opportunities. Anderson has played plenty and isn't looking in great shape at the moment. Therefore, I'd like to see Gibson get his chance and I'd hope it would spur Anderson on.

SecondFig

I'd say Anderson's much more likely to provide a killer pass than Gibson, even when off form.

Basically I'd say it's between having Park-Anderson-Carrick-Valencia and Nani-Gibson-Carrick-Valencia, and I think I'd rather start the former.

Depends on the form of Nani as much as it does the form of Anderson, IMHO. I wouldn't start both, but I wouldn't start both Gibson and Park either, for opposing reasons - one's too attacking and one's too defensive.

Gibson's a reliable performer, but I think Park's proven himself to be more reliable. I'd say both Nani and Anderson are unreliable, but Anderson less so.#

Anderson for me.
Really? I'm a big fan of Anderson, but I'd disagree with that. I still think Anderson has far more potential than Gibson - but both Anderson and Nani have really failed to build upon their debut seasons, and on recent form I'd say that Gibson is ahead of Anderson.
Also Anderson looks like he enjoyed his off-season a little too much...

Fitzjames

Anderson for me.
Top post with great points here.
You are exactly right......starting Nani AND Anderson is a luxury
starting Gibson AND Park is also a luxury.
I do however think that Gibson just edges it ahead of Anderson.......but neither is quite starting material

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Gibson for me at the moment. If Birmingham City was in three days time i would much prefer him in the middle than Anderson. Saying that though he does need to get past Fletcher and Giggs for that starting role next to Carrick.

Potential wise, Anderson has the nod. But everyone knows football is played in the here and now not a couple of years down the line, just ask Arsenal.

Brophs

The One and Only
Right now, maybe Gibson edges it, because for the last season or so, Anderson's main contribution has been being busy in the middle of the park, and harrying the opposition.

His contributions going forward have been negligible, and his passing seems to have ***-improved, if anything.

But in the long term Anderson will be the more important player, so maybe that has to come into our thinking-giving him the football now so he benefits later.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
but neither is quite starting material
Agree here, neither can really control a midfield and dominate possession. Certainly in Anderson's case, at times he simply doesn't get on the ball often enough, meaning we play overly ambitious balls from defense. Haven't seen enough of Gibson to judge him in this respect, which is why I'd like to see him given opportunities to play alongside Carrick...

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
If Gibson is being talked about as being preferred to Anderson, Anderson is really going backwards, so that's a bit worrying.

I still see Anderson as a much better player - it all depends on him getting properly fit and perhaps also being played in his best position.

For the moment Gibson would play as he is in decent form and looks composed in the team. When in doubt, always go with the form players.

Anderson has a lot more to give and more improvement to make. He is a powerhouse of a midfielder when he's on his game but he is a bit short at the moment. He will become more important as the season goes on.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Right now, maybe Gibson edges it, because for the last season or so, Anderson's main contribution has been being busy in the middle of the park, and harrying the opposition.

His contributions going forward have been negligible, and his passing seems to have ***-improved, if anything.

But in the long term Anderson will be the more important player, so maybe that has to come into our thinking-giving him the football now so he benefits later.
Yeah, I think that's an important point. Same logic applies to SAF sticking with Fletcher despite some hapless displays a while back, which paid off in the long run. Sometimes you've got to identify your talents and stick with him, through the rough and smooth.

Bit harsh on Gibson though. The development of young players can be very unpredictable, who's to say he won't just get better and better with a run of games?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
This is no guarantee whatsoever. Still too early to tell at this stage.

We haven't seen enough of Gibson to know how he would fair playing against strong opposition, alongside our best players. We also haven't seen enough from Anderson to suggest he can fulfill his potential...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If Gibson is being talked about as being preferred to Anderson, Anderson is really going backwards, so that's a bit worrying.

I still see Anderson as a much better player - it all depends on him getting properly fit and perhaps also being played in his best position.
To be fair to Gibson he's going forwards, quite quickly.

Sam

Just interesting to note that both Anderson and Gibson are 21. So we talk about Anderson having far greater potential. But it must be remmebered that Gibson has a lot of potential himself.

I wonder, if Anderson had been brought through the ranks, and Gibson signed as the £14 million player, would people's opinions be different? I suspect they would.

lesclaypool

I'd like for Anderson to get more games... I haven't seen either of them in pre-season (though, how much can you judge from these early games?) but Anderson has always struck me as someone who could be world class whereas Gibson is more of a steady, reliable performer whose limitations are not as apparant as Anderson's when he's off form. I'd personally like Anderson to start and give him a good run of games... See how he takes the opportunity because if he does it well then we've got a top drawer player in our team.

There were a few games towards the end of the season in which Anderson looked like he'd give us that little bit of extra quality when we looked a bit exhausted... The games that stick out for me were the away game against Porto in the CL and the semi final in the FA Cup against Everton - He was brilliant in both and it highlighted the player he could become. What he needs to do now though is to put a larger amount of games together in which he excells rather than 2 good games, than a mediocre one, than a poor one. Having said that, maybe I'm being to harsh since he's still very young but he's got it all in his locker.

As for picking between the two in certain games, then you'd look at the opponents and see what is needed for that type of game.

But for the game against Brum, I'd pick Anderson.