Gif Request Thread

The Azzurri

Regarding last night's game...

gif of Rooney's 1st goal

&

gif of the ball rolling out from the rooftop, in the final minutes of the game.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Büttner's completely pointless stepovers in the second half in our own part of the pitch?
It's like stepovers is a part of his running style.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Can someone gif Moyes and co celebrating Rooney's goal? I thought it was great moment. Thanks.

CrypticClash

gif of the ball rolling out from the rooftop, in the final minutes of the game.
1280x720, 24mb: http://gfycat.com/UniqueSophisticatedBarasingha

Büttner's completely pointless stepovers in the second half in our own part of the pitch?
It's like stepovers is a part of his running style.
I can't seem to find it, do you happen to remember more or less when that happened?

Can someone gif Moyes and co celebrating Rooney's goal? I thought it was great moment. Thanks.
I know that King_Eric has already posted it in here, but here's a bigger one, it's just easier to see.
http://gfycat.com/UniformHideousGroundbeetle - 1280x720, 22mb

======================================================================

A few gifs I thought would be fun to see:

Is it better with formatting like that? Well, I hope so, because it takes long as hell to do it properly. :lol:
Or should I wrap my gifs list in yet another spoiler tag?

Oh, and thanks @Ramshock - it's good to see you here!

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Please could we have that moment where Fernandinho positively jogged past all 3 of our watching CM's with the ball and to the edge of our box before anyone gave a shit or realised what was actually happening? It was in the first half, and was around the 20th min mark into the game. I just need to check that it happened and I didn't imagine it.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Please could we have that moment where Fernandinho positively jogged past all 3 of our watching CM's with the ball and to the edge of our box before anyone gave a shit or realised what was actually happening? It was in the first half, and was around the 20th min mark into the game. I just need to check that it happened and I didn't imagine it.

this it?

Malva

what is cleverley doing? what space is he defending? i don't usually go as harsh on tom as others have this season but that looks like ridiculously poor positioning, just disgraceful tactical awareness.

Getsme

There was something very similar at the 50th minute mark if I remember correctly.

Malva

marking silva? by walking infront of the sideline? i'm wondering what space he is guarding, why that flank space? he is a midfielder, supposedly being used to clog the midfield and shield the defence. Midfielders defend space by occupying the middle and showing the outside space to attackers, not positioning yourself on the outside to block the space and force attackers inside, especially when your choice of positioning leaves others open for easy attacks THROUGH the middle.

What benefit does tom serve defending that space? really he is a huge detriment to the midfield's cohesion to defend by disrupting their shape. If tom slides over to the T to guard the middle and jockey to outside, carrick can slide deeper behind toure, and fellaini can complete the midfield shape and guard all that space behind him. Instead, everyone is dragged completely out of position.

unless you can explain another aspect i've missed, how is this effective marking?

Malva

He was still marking Silva.

Dod you play much football?
very much so. to a close to elite level through my teens.

pathetic diversion aside, what purpose is tom serving there. originally i had asked this rhetorically to point out how ridiculous it was, but it seems you see justification in that positioning, and i asked you what sense you saw in it after objectively showing my viewpoint, and you've plainly avoided the topic. I'm still interested in knowing what you see in that to justify it at all as marking.

Malva

There was no need for him to get any tighter than he did. Once Silva passed the ball it was his job to track Silva's run. Which he was doing. Why do so many newbies insist on making a simple game so bloody complicated?
he doesn't need to be tighter, he just needs to move to the bloody inside and show silva to the outside as he's fecking useless defending that flank space when the danger is losing control of the middle.

the problem is, this isn't complicated, this is basic pitch awareness. fellaini is clearly closing down toure, because carrick has to square to silva to cut off entry, leaving toure open behind him, and fellaini moving to cover toure leaves nasri in acres of space while fernandinho is still a viable pass option to penetrate the middle, and it's exactly why fernandinho basically jogs through the middle, everyone is out of position because cleverley is fecking useless guarding that space.

it's not bloody complicated so don't make that the issue. can i ask for the third time? why is that effective or at all useful? if it's marking as you suppose it is, why is he so far away from the man he's 'marking'. and what's the bloody purpose if 'marking' silva makes penetrating our midfield as simple as , literally, a walk in the park?

do you play much football? ever marked a player?

reflecting on what maagge said, even if cleverley is supposedly following orders... what is the point of that? silva has never been a dangerous player when taken to the outside, he's not a great crosser, not particularly pacey, all his danger is cutting inside to dribble and draw players before releasing a pass, or mazing to the box. why bother to position yourself to prioritise the flank protection ahead of the midfield? clearly you see the issues materialize through that play as our midfield is pitifully overrun, issues which could be preventable with a simple repositioning.

Last edited:

Maagge

what is cleverley doing? what space is he defending? i don't usually go as harsh on tom as others have this season but that looks like ridiculously poor positioning, just disgraceful tactical awareness.
I'm pretty sure Cleverley had been moved to the right at this point with Mata playing as AM. So he should be around Silva whereas it's up to Fellaini, Mata and Carrick to cover the central areas. I'd argue Welbeck should come inside when the ball is opposite him though.

Malva

I'm pretty sure Cleverley had been moved to the right at this point with Mata playing as AM. So he should be around Silva whereas it's up to Fellaini, Mata and Carrick to cover the central areas. I'd argue Welbeck should come inside when the ball is opposite him though.
i never thought about that. didn't pay as much attention to the game as i should have in the second half down 2-0, i was half watching another game.

i've not been hard on moyes, but if his tactical idea was to move to, what, a 4-2-3-1 with mata amf and welbeck-cleverley on the sides? as the option to stop city through the middle and the flanks... and cleverley is INSTRUCTED to guard that space... i'm really disappointed because that is just stupid as hell. mata was dropped at chelsea because of his lack of effective defensive work, and why use cleverley in that way? i don't see any benefit.

Maagge

i never thought about that. didn't pay as much attention to the game as i should have in the second half down 2-0, i was half watching another game.

i've not been hard on moyes, but if his tactical idea was to move to, what, a 4-2-3-1 with mata amf and welbeck-cleverley on the sides? as the option to stop city through the middle and the flanks... and cleverley is INSTRUCTED to guard that space... i'm really disappointed because that is just stupid as hell. mata was dropped at chelsea because of his lack of effective defensive work, and why use cleverley in that way? i don't see any benefit.
Moyes started out with Mata on the flank with Cleverley central with the two others. Not long after the goal he had Cleverley and Mata change positions as far as I could see.
To be honest it shouldn't really matter that much who's where though. All our players should be able to be in the right defensive positions. And if they're out of positions they shouldn't just press to look like they give a feck because that leaves a lot of space in behind them.
For me Fellaini should have stayed close to Nasri(?), Welbeck should have come in to mark Fernandinho, Carrick should take care of Toure while Mata and Cleverley tries to get the ball from Silva. All given the situation we're in at that given point in time. I'm not saying it should go for the rest of the match. But we should be able to adapt.

Malva

Moyes started out with Mata on the flank with Cleverley central with the two others. Not long after the goal he had Cleverley and Mata change positions as far as I could see.
To be honest it shouldn't really matter that much who's where though. All our players should be able to be in the right defensive positions. And if they're out of positions they shouldn't just press to look like they give a feck because that leaves a lot of space in behind them.
For me Fellaini should have stayed close to Nasri(?), Welbeck should have come in to mark Fernandinho, Carrick should take care of Toure while Mata and Cleverley tries to get the ball from Silva. All given the situation we're in at that given point in time. I'm not saying it should go for the rest of the match. But we should be able to adapt.
i'd agree with that underlying sentiment, adaptability. this should all be instinctive, prioritising spaces to protect and choosing marks. instead, inadequacy.

about welbeck in that situation, possibly it's harsh to critcize him there, truthfully he can't stray much farther inside to follow fernandinho, who is well into the central circle, as welbeck has responsibility for the fullback as well. i think the primary adjustment had to be cleverley in that scenario. move cleverley 5 yards inside to the middle and the entire shape improves dramatically.

Maagge

i'd agree with that underlying sentiment, adaptability. this should all be instinctive, prioritising spaces to protect and choosing marks. instead, inadequacy.

about welbeck in that situation, possibly it's harsh to critcize him there, truthfully he can't stray much farther inside to follow fernandinho, who is well into the central circle, as welbeck has responsibility for the fullback as well. i think the primary adjustment had to be cleverley in that scenario. move cleverley 5 yards inside to the middle and the entire shape improves dramatically.
I have to say I couldn't give a shit about Zabaleta in this case. If Silva decides his only good option is playing the long pass to Zabaleta then our team have more than enough time to push over to the left to close Zabaleta down. Furthermore, the risk of such a pass being too short/long/inaccurate is far higher than the pass to Fernandinho.
I agree that it would be much better to have Cleverley in Carrick's place but seeing as the latter is already there it's pretty pointless at this point in time.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The awful attempt at a tackle Fellaini made on Toure (or possibly Fernandinho [that's racist]) midway through the first half where he sort of tried to pirouette the ball off him, but ended up completely freeing the space behind him instead, whilst also propelling himself several yards into their half, basically taking himself out of the game. It was on (or at least very near) the halfway line.

I remember it as being one of the stupidest things I'd ever seen, but I may have been exaggerrating.

Last edited:

Malva

I have to say I couldn't give a shit about Zabaleta in this case. If Silva decides his only good option is playing the long pass to Zabaleta then our team have more than enough time to push over to the left to close Zabaleta down. Furthermore, the risk of such a pass being too short/long/inaccurate is far higher than the pass to Fernandinho.
I agree that it would be much better to have Cleverley in Carrick's place but seeing as the latter is already there it's pretty pointless at this point in time.
i think i'd agree with that. i was thinking more of a quick outlet pass out to the side and then an attack down the flank rather then a direct longball from silva. at that situation, a petty thought though i guess. pressuring fernandinho probably would've forced city to play backwards instead.

essentially we see the same thing. i've said enough about that moment.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The awful attempt at a tackle Fellaini made on Toure (or possibly Fernandinho [that's racist]) midway through the first half where he sort of tried to pirouette the ball off him, but ended up completely freeing the space behind him instead, whilst also propelling himself several yards into their half, basically taking himself out of the game. It was on (or at least very near) the halfway line.

I remember it as being one of the stupidest things I'd ever seen, but I may have been exaggerrating.
While we're at it. Lets double up on negative, depressing Fellaini gifs.

There was a moment, late-ish in the second half when the ball was headed out of defence and Fellaini ran on to the ball. It was dropping down, over his head, from about 4 or 5 metres up and all he had to was kill it and we would have possession in a decent area to set up a counter-attack. Seemed like he had all the time and space in the world. Instead, he bottled out of trying to trap the ball and allowed it to bounce, so he could compete for a header instead.

There are very very few times when I watch a professional footballer playing the game and think I could have pulled off a techique they were unwilling or unable to do, so this really stuck in my head. I think there was an audible groan round the ground too (although I appreciate gifs don't come with audio!)

Maagge

While we're at it. Lets double up on negative, depressing Fellaini gifs.

There was a moment, late-ish in the second half when the ball was headed out of defence and Fellaini ran on to the ball. It was dropping down, over his head, from about 4 or 5 metres up and all he had to was kill it and we would have possession in a decent area to set up a counter-attack. Seemed like he had all the time and space in the world. Instead, he bottled out of trying to trap the ball and allowed it to bounce, so he could compete for a header instead.

There are very very few times when I watch a professional footballer playing the game and think I could have pulled off a techique they were unwilling or unable to do, so this really stuck in my head. I think there was an audible groan round the ground too (although I appreciate gifs don't come with audio!)
:lol: I assume you're completely useless with your left foot or haven't watched Valencia play then?