Gill says no more transfers

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
At least this will put an end to all the pathetic speculation now. If was getting so tedious.
That's the thing though isn't it. Folk are still trying to microanalyse what Gill has said for signs of double meaning and deception.

It's like some kind of Monty Python sketch.

Muppet "Any more signings David?"

Gill "I don't think so"

Muppet <tapping nose> "Ah... you don't THINK so... gotcha... he he he"

Gill "no really, there won't be any more signings at United"

Muppet "he he there won't be any MORE, but there could be the one you're working on already eh?"

Gill "No, I'm not working on any transfers now"

Muppet "Cool, so you've just finished one, probably Sneijder, and then there won't be any more?"

Gill "I'm leaving now"

Muppet "Come back... you didn't say how much Sneijder is costing!"

Crustanoid

Well, if I wasn't 100% convinced before, I am now. Off to get my Sneijder 9 home shirt

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
The Sneijder-speculation really is ridicilous. I've seen so many usaully trustful and sound people be ripped to shreds, deprived of any sleep while furiously masturbating on their pillow, looking at pictures of him shopped into a United-shirt.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Ferguson has constantly, throughout the summer, denied any signing of the Sneijder. This hurts people, so they deny the truth.

The transfers really are strange mechanisms. As God said, not even he knows in this case.. Except we all know he'll play for Inter this season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Would i like us to add a CM? Yes, if its someone of Sneijder's quality

Do i think we will survive without an addition? Yes, but i think a lot will depend on how Fletcher comes back from illness. He is key in the big games imho.

Godfather

Do i think we will survive without an addition? Yes, but i think a lot will depend on how Fletcher comes back from illness. He is key in the big games imho.
How so? We coped well without him last year. And against Barcelona he wouldnt have made much of a difference imo.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Fergie spoke at the start of the transfer window about needing to replace Scholes.

Chances are, Fergie identified a few midfield targets but they have either been unavailable, too expensive (no value) or wanted to go elsewhere. As such, rather than settling for someone else and not getting his first choice, Fergie is currently giving out the message that we will simply stick with what we have.

I wouldve thought by now however that the fans would have realised that you cant trust what SAF and Gill say during the transfer window. Every club and their mother knew we were out to replace Scholes and sign a CM, whereas now with Cleverley getting matchtime, Fergie gives off the message that we dont need to buy big. Towards the end of the transfer window (ie now) there will still be players who are likely to move, and some that clubs need to get rid of. Fergie says he is not desperate, so it becomes a buyers market. I wouldnt be surprised to see us snap someone up before the end of the window - not necessarily a world class marquee signing, but a solid reliable player to make up the numbers in midfield.

padzilla

Hipster
I really don't see what Sneijder would give us that Rooney doesn't already for example, I think we could do with buying a midfield general a la Essien but they aren't growing on trees.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How so? We coped well without him last year. And against Barcelona he wouldnt have made much of a difference imo.
we coped well overall but we still lost a few games against the "big" teams

Im convinced we would have made a better fight off it in both finals we've lost to Barca if Fletcher had been fit and available

stubie

Would i like us to add a CM? Yes, if its someone of Sneijder's quality

He played the full game against Swansea last night for the reserves. I would expect him to return to the first team after the International break.

humdinger

Im convinced we would have made a better fight off it in both finals we've lost to Barca if Fletcher had been fit and available
I agree. We'd have made a better fist of winning the ball back from them. He does a great job for us at pressurising opposing midfields and is relentless, which drives the rest of the team on. Hopefully his illness is behind him and he will be available to us this season, although I'd expect it'll take a while before we see him back to his best as he has played so little football for so long.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Depends which Fletcher would've showed up. Last year, he showed signs of trying to become a bit more technical in his play, and it seemed inadvertantly detrimental to his overall game. Didn't look like that psychopath who ate up every blade of grass before him last season (when he did play).

Amir

Fletcher would have helped retreive the ball. There's still the little matter of KEEPING it once you get it!

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish

I am convinced that on both occasions we seriously underestimated how much better they were than us.

We never learned, despite what was said during the build up, this year.

Sir A1ex

^ I really hope nobody on here sees it like that.
One or two might, but they are only marginally dafter than those who think that it's total proof that we won't be signing anybody.

Most people realise that it has little effect on the situation. All through the summer Gill, Fergie, Sneijder's camp and the Inter camp have been saying all sorts of things, some of which contradict each other. At the end of the day, we'll only know whether we're signing him in or not at midnight on 31st. And bring it on, says I.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
If only we'd taken this into account, we could have decided to play better.

Bloody complacency.
Sarcasm.... don't you just love it? :rolleyes:

Those with their heads out of their arses will understand.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
And what about those who are thick skinned enough to take a bit of banter?:smirk:
It is my fear that the legend SAF has one repetitious weakness and that is to over-estimate the strength of his midfield.

I for one don't think we will win much with the kids this year, but I am happy in the knowledge that in the next few years we will be winning most things.

I would love to eat my words.

Cina

Think people are seriously overestimating the impact Fletcher would've had.

For one, SAF probably wouldn't have played him anyway, and second, they'd have still hammered us. We needed someone who can keep the ball, not just win it the odd time.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
For one, SAF probably wouldn't have played him anyway, and second, they'd have still hammered us. We needed someone who can keep the ball, not just win it the odd time.
Totally agree.

It frightens me that there is so much confidence in Fletcher.

mustaine

It is my fear that the legend SAF has one repetitious weakness and that is to over-estimate the strength of his midfield.

I for one don't think we will win much with the kids this year, but I am happy in the knowledge that in the next few years we will be winning most things.

I would love to eat my words.
While I agree with what you said about Sir Alex over-estimating the strength of the midfield I can't agree on the second paragraph.

The kids? Vidic, Rio, Evra, Nani, Young, Park, Valencia, Carrick, Fletcher, Giggs, Rooney, Berbatov, Chicharito and Owen are hardly kids. Can't count Anderson as one either, Evans has plenty of experience. Rafael has played a lot for a kid his age. We all know that we have a lot of good young players but the balance between older players and younger players is really good in my opinion.

It is my belief that we need another central midfielder because that's the only area where we are pretty thin. Thee of our current real central midfiedlers (not counting Gibson) have had injury and health problems so I just think it's dangerous to go into the season with what we've got. If we stay healthy for the most part I still think we'll win the league even though the quality of our opponents continues to grow. We are better as well and United will always play as a team which makes us even more dangerous. The Champions League is another story though, rather not go into the whole Barcelona and Madrid debate.

humdinger

Fletcher was playing brilliantly in 2009 and undoubtedly would started if he wasn't suspended and he would have improved us in the midfield. If he'd been fit and in that kind of form he'd also have improved us this year as well. Not saying we would have won, but we'd have been better. When he's playing well he is one of our most influential players.

Cina

Fletcher was playing brilliantly in 2009 and undoubtedly would started if he wasn't suspended and he would have improved us in the midfield. If he'd been fit and in that kind of form he'd also have improved us this year as well. Not saying we would have won, but we'd have been better. When he's playing well he is one of our most influential players.
Whose place would he have taken in both finals?

Godfather

Fair enough.
But would he have changed the outcome of the game? I don't think so.

Cina

Fletcher would have started both finals if he was available.
Nonsense. Pure speculation to say he would have.

Especially 2011 when Fergie felt that XI was doing so well because of the Chelsea games.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Me too, its only us United fans the rate him so highly , he just gets a shrug of the shoulders from other supporters
The lad certainly has some qualities, but he is no more than a squad player in my opinion. He is a fellow Scot and I should be biased in his favour, but he simply doesn't cut it for me.

I have seen him run around headless too many times, for my liking.

I have faith that Wellbeck and Cleverley are set to be monumental Utd players. Chicarito is already banging on the door of greatness and the future is very, very bright, but maybe not this season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

I believe in Darren Fletcher

dev1l

The lad certainly has some qualities, but he is no more than a squad player in my opinion. He is a fellow Scot and I should be biased in his favour, but he simply doesn't cut it for me.

I have seen him run around headless too many times, for my liking.

I have faith that Wellbeck and Cleverley are set to be monumental Utd players. Chicarito is already banging on the door of greatness and the future is very, very bright, but maybe not this season.
Fletcher was not at his best last season, and some people tend to have very short memories at times.
2 years ago he was very important for the team, even someone like Mourinho acknowledged that ..
https://www.redcafe.net/f6/mourinho-darren-fletcher-250892/

If he s fully fit I m sure he ll play an important part this season because none of our current central midfielders has offers Fletcher's defensive qualities.

Moriarty

Oh ye muppets, I say unto you: lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate. For Gill hath spoken and we are damned to wail and curse our ill fortune until he leads us from this circle of want and vain hope into the land of transfer bliss, where all who are summoned by the caf to wear the red shirt will come.

forevrared

I really don't see what Sneijder would give us that Rooney doesn't already for example, I think we could do with buying a midfield general a la Essien but they aren't growing on trees.
I've been in this camp all summer. Sneijder and Rooney would constantly be in each others' way. Get a destroyer or something and sit them deep and give Cleverley or Anderson license to break forward and attack the space.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Oh ye muppets, I say unto you: lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate. For Gill hath spoken and we are damned to wail and curse our ill fortune until he leads us from this circle of want and vain hope into the land of transfer bliss, where all who are summoned by the caf to wear the red shirt will come.

Mainoldo

I've been in this camp all summer. Sneijder and Rooney would constantly be in each others' way. Get a destroyer or something and sit them deep and give Cleverley or Anderson license to break forward and attack the space.
Like how David Silva and Nasri or going to clash or how Messi, Villa and Iniesta bump heads or is it how Rooney and Tevez got in each others way?

Ones a striker the other is a midfield there not going to start holding hands..