Giuseppe Rossi

Bojan11

Such a shame. It was a huge mistake to sell him at the time as he could/should have been a first team player. Top player.

Ruined by injuries though.
Eh?

He wanted to leave. It was a huge mistake for him to leave. Also we didn't do too badly with Tevez you know.

Quizierda

Such a poor lad..
Wish him all the best - always have and always will!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Most dodgy knees in history? How can you have the same thing happen on both sides? Is that to do with his gait or is it some kind of genetic condition/failing?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Tbh, I don't really remember Anderton's issues, as he seemed to just be another Phil Jones level of sicknote with perpetual injuries of one sort or another. Were they all knee related?

Rossi has blown his ACL so often now, and on both sides, that you have to wonder what on earth is going on there.

GBBQ

Tbh, I don't really remember Anderton's issues, as he seemed to just be another Phil Jones level of sicknote with perpetual injuries of one sort or another. Were they all knee related?

Rossi has blown his ACL so often now, and on both sides, that you have to wonder what on earth is going on there.
From memory he had a lot of knee injuries. But I think Anderton's whole body was just crocked.

Dobbs

Eh?

He wanted to leave. It was a huge mistake for him to leave. Also we didn't do too badly with Tevez you know.
Well he wanted to leave because he wasn't getting any football. I thought he should have been given a future with us. Who else did we have, Smith and an almost finished Solskjaer? Both were gone shortly after.

It wasn't Rossi or Tevez. Both could have been accommodated.

Obviously with hindsight we inadvertently made the correct decision.

0le

He was back in training at United of all places, according to the latest post match press conference given by Ole. It is purely to help him gain fitness and the club are not looking to resign him. He will be here for another week.

Chairman Steve

Rossi's luck with knee injuries is like Louis Saha's luck with knee injuries turned up to 11. He has some rotten luck, despite posting reputable figures wherever he went for the most part.

Last edited:

Tiber

Cracking player. I always thought he was be a star here, poor guy had horrific luck with injuries

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lost track of who was signing him, I remember he was Villareal and then Fiorentina or maybe it was other way round.

Very talented player and still in his early 30s. Such a shame.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sad thing is, when this thread is bumped, the first expectation is the announcement of one of his knees blowing out.

Even though it's not the case on this occasion, it wouldn't be a surprise if the next bump in a couple of months time is said announcement.

Chairman Woodie

Any chance of one of the lesser PL teams signing Rossi? Despite his history of knee injuries, Rossi has a decent goalscoring record.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Any chance of one of the lesser PL teams signing Rossi? Despite his history of knee injuries, Rossi has a decent goalscoring record.
How much of the player he was can even be left in him by now? Would be a wonder if he's still able to twist and turn like he used to. Even if he can, could you imagine how much mental fortitude it would take to trust your body after so many bad injuries?

::sonny::

If you have many injuries in the young age... You can imagine what can happen when you're over 30, simply stop playing, and that's it

TsuWave

i'm being sentimental but can't we throw a pay-as-you-play contract at him? we only really have rashford, lukaku (and maybe martial) for striker position

Dion

i'm being sentimental but can't we throw a pay-as-you-play contract at him? we only really have rashford, lukaku (and maybe martial) for striker position
Why would you want to give Rossi minutes over Mason Greenwood?

crossy1686

career ending
I was about to say that as well, we could do a lot worse than giving him a go if we need options up front, as long as he's still got some ability that is. I mean, Owen got a run out so if Rossi can be as effective as he was then why not? Didn't Fergie say he was the most natural finisher he'd seen since Scholes? He's always scored goals.

Dion

I was about to say that as well, we could do a lot worse than giving him a go if we need options up front, as long as he's still got some ability that is. I mean, Owen got a run out so if Rossi can be as effective as he was then why not? Didn't Fergie say he was the most natural finisher he'd seen since Scholes? He's always scored goals.
Again, when Sanchez, Rashford, Lukaku and Martial are all injured why would you want to see Rossi given a chance over Mason Greenwood?

crossy1686

career ending
Again, when Sanchez, Rashford, Lukaku and Martial are all injured why would you want to see Rossi given a chance over Mason Greenwood?
I think Greenwood will get a chance in the coming seasons, he is only 16 right? He should be slowly integrated into the first team when he's ready to and I'm sure the coaching staff will do that where they see fit. However, in the mean time, we need competition for Rahsford and Lukaku in the first team to encourage them to kick on. Lukaku is looking mightly shit at the moment and Rahsford is firing. We need someone else pushing for a first team place to keep them both on their toes.

Rossi is only a short term option for the rest of this season also.

Dion

I think Greenwood will get a chance in the coming seasons, he is only 16 right? He should be slowly integrated into the first team when he's ready to and I'm sure the coaching staff will do that where they see fit. However, in the mean time, we need competition for Rahsford and Lukaku in the first team to encourage them to kick on. Lukaku is looking mightly shit at the moment and Rahsford is firing. We need someone else pushing for a first team place to keep them both on their toes.

Rossi is only a short term option for the rest of this season also.
He's 17, the same age Rashford was when he got his chance. If you're not giving him a run out in the event of a catastrophic injury crisis then we might as well just sell him now.

What's worse is Greenwood is a much better player than Rossi is now and would actually suit our style of play. His body has given up on him. He has 15 goals in his last 73 games. At this stage we might as well get Louis Saha out of retirement.

What you're suggesting is the Scholes/Pogba Mk II. except Scholes was actually still good.

crossy1686

career ending
He's 17, the same age Rashford was when he got his chance. If you're not giving him a run out in the event of a catastrophic injury crisis then we might as well just sell him now.

What's worse is Greenwood is a much better player than Rossi is now and would actually suit our style of play. His body has given up on him. He has 15 goals in his last 73 games. At this stage we might as well get Louis Saha out of retirement.

What you're suggesting is the Scholes/Pogba Mk II. except Scholes was actually still good.
I'm not saying don't give Greenwood a chance, I'm saying the more competition we have for places, the better it is for the squad in general. Greenwood should absolutely get a chance but he doesn't need to play 20 games this season, 10 or so will aid his development fine.

Dion

I'm not saying don't give Greenwood a chance, I'm saying the more competition we have for places, the better it is for the squad in general. Greenwood should absolutely get a chance but he doesn't need to play 20 games this season, 10 or so will aid his development fine.
Do you think Rossi would get 5 games never mind 20? We have Sanchez, Martial, Rashford and Lukaku who would have to be injured before he even got a sniff. There's also Mata who is faster, stronger, better technically and just as adept a finisher who Rossi would basically be stealing a living from.

Rossi is done, even at his best he'd be a squad player for us and he's far from his best now. He's not Larson. Thankfully our staff actually have a basic respect for young players and wouldn't indulge in such an horrific idea.

crossy1686

career ending
Do you think Rossi would get 5 games never mind 20? We have Sanchez, Martial, Rashford and Lukaku who would have to be injured before he even got a sniff. There's also Mata who is faster, stronger, better technically and just as adept a finisher who Rossi would basically be stealing a living from.

Rossi is done, even at his best he'd be a squad player for us and he's far from his best now. He's not Larson. Thankfully our staff actually have a basic respect for young players and wouldn't indulge in such an horrific idea.
Nope, as I said, it's not about the game time, it's about the competition for places. If Rossi plays 5 games it's because he trained better than Rashford, Lukaku, Greenwood and the rest, then he deserves to start those games or come off the bench. We've got a great forward line on paper but some of them are either sulking or not putting in performances we have come to expect. Competition for places is a nice little kick up the arse or an invitation to leave, depends on how the players take it.