Giuseppe Rossi

FromTheBench

We dodged a bullet by selling this guy...what a player and I was stunned when we sold him but his career is hanging by a thread now with his 3rd major knee injury
He had no such history or potential risk when we sold him. We brought in Tevez as Queiroz didn't think he was ready and suited enough to the Premiership yet and he decided to leave.

Actually after leaving us he did very very well in Spain and was on verge of a 25/30 million Barca move when his first long term injury struck.

Since then except some comebacks here and there where he showed his talent and old spark, it's been all downhill. Fiorentina took a gamble on him when he hadn't fully recovered and hasn't worked for them either.

Such a terrible case. He would have been one of the best forwards/Support strikers around if not for these injury issues. Italy managers have been so desperate to get him back into the fold soon too.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Seems like there are so many players nowadays having their careers threatened by injuries.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Gutted for him, was one of my favourite players from our reserves and always felt he could have done well for us if we didn't get Tevez.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Seems like there are so many players nowadays having their careers threatened by injuries.
There has always been players with constant injuries For as long as I can remember

Dyer, Anderton, Owen, King, Woodgate, Redondo etc...

ricky-romeo

unlucky and it is a shame for his career, all those injuries.

no doubt he is a very good player and was arguably the best finisher our youth team and reserves got for quite some time. remember that 2004-2006 period when our reserves kind of won every trophy at that level with rossi in attack and pique at the back.

Eila

He scored 17 goals in 24 games last season. That's a fantastic number for being out half of the season. But obviously, another injury will hurt his play.
I feel very bad for him, he's missed going to major competitions for Italy, too.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Ruined by knee injuries much like Ronaldo.

Would easily be one of the world's best attacking players right now if not for this. Massive shame for him.

Oo0AahCantona

its such a fecking shame as he's a really special talent. he's not a mid tier player, we could have been watching one of the best strikers in the world if he wasnt crocked.

Acole9

Outstanding
I feel sorry for him. He's had some terrible injuries to contend with and has really hampered his progress.

JoaquinJoaquin

Poor guy. Can't help but think he must be considering retiring now at this point. Such a shame as looked excellent in his youth days.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How can his ACL's be so weak? he must have a problem with his gait or something strange. Poor fecker.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
feck sake. He's probably my favourite academy player. First player I really followed from the reserves to the first team and was convinced he'd be a star for us. Maybe he would have if he wasn't behind Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and co.

Gutted for him.

MadMike

We could have seen him up close again at Old Trafford as there's a small chance we could meet Celta Vigo in Europa League. Shame. Feel for the guy.

Dobbs

Such a shame. It was a huge mistake to sell him at the time as he could/should have been a first team player. Top player.

Ruined by injuries though.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Such a shame. It was a huge mistake to sell him at the time as he could/should have been a first team player. Top player.

Ruined by injuries though.
Pretty sure it was him or Tevez? Worked out pretty well for us all things considered.

Dobbs

Pretty sure it was him or Tevez? Worked out pretty well for us all things considered.
Not sure it had to be an either or situation but no, I'd rather have kept Rossi for a decade than a year or two of a guy like Tevez.

Moot point anyway given what's happened in his career.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Not sure it had to be an either or situation but no, I'd rather have kept Rossi for a decade than a year or two of a guy like Tevez.

A fit Rossi sure, but as it turned out having Tevez for two years was better than having Rossi keeping Jones company for a decade, also our strikers at that point was probably the best we've had as a quartet.

Shame about his career though, looked great at Villarreal and at that point it looked like a daft decision to get rid.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Poor guy. Can't help but think he must be considering retiring now at this point. Such a shame as looked excellent in his youth days.
When players are younger than you, it makes you feel old.

When players about the same age as you retire, you feel older.

This is even worse, I was already too old for Sunday League football by the time he was breaking through!

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Rossi had spent some time away on loan the previous season which led to interest abroad. Couple that with a sudden big head and desiring to play frequently, the club had little choice but to sell.

MiceOnMeth

He's only a year younger than Rooney yet has played about half as many football matches.

Dobbs

Rossi had spent some time away on loan the previous season which led to interest abroad. Couple that with a sudden big head and desiring to play frequently, the club had little choice but to sell.
Eh? Where did you get that from?

ken11

Sad to hear about Rossi's injury. The guy is amazing, coming back time and time again, kicking ass when he gets back. How many footballers would have the mental fortitude like this guy? Few, I'd think.

Irrational.

Devastated for him, he's gotta be one of the most unlucky players in modern times :(

He is a hell of a striker, just imagine what he'd've been like without the multiple consecutive career-threatening injuries.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Eh? Where did you get that from?
There were plenty of posts/rumors circa 2007-2009 that Rossi had demanded/requested a first team role (i.e. big head comment) going forward and with SAF chasing Tevez et al the player forced the club's hand by seeking/submitting a transfer. Smith was also on his way out but the club didn't foresee Solskjaer's sudden retirement in late August 2007 and Saha's inevitable injury bug, so Rossi likely would have forced himself in.

Big head comment - you have to keep in mind that both Italy and the US courted him internationally and he had a good loan spell at Parma after a dismal spell at Newcastle. The Parma loan showed he could perform albeit in a slower league. Couple with the international aspirations and being touted as one the next big things in world football, the arrogance likely set in. Nonetheless, Tevez was a miles better option at the time and still today was a better player career wise.