Glasgow City Centre Incident (26th June 2020)

starman

Armed police roaming the streets, not sure if someone is on the loose with a gun or knife stabbing people

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Saw something that said the building was being used to house the homeless during Covid but that's just speculation.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Britain seems knife-crazed at the minute. What the feck is going on?

Tibs

WTF?!?!

Sky News saying there have been fatalities, and that the Armed Police were there and shots fired, and that the suspect was detained (alive or dead they're unsure)

Tibs

Male suspect was shot by armed police - confirmed.

Situation is contained and no further threat to the public

Fergies Gum

Britain seems knife-crazed at the minute. What the feck is going on?
Police have lost control in certain parts of the country. Just two days ago a large mob attacked police officers in Brixton and chased the police away from the area.

Tibs

Suspect was shot dead.

3 people killed in this event - not sure whether than includes the attacker. From Sky News

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Likely means the police officer is dead then. fecked up.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Police have lost control in certain parts of the country. Just two days ago a large mob attacked police officers in Brixton and chased the police away from the area.
Weirdly enough, I was speaking to a co-worker this morning whose grandson was stabbed in a park in Manchester a couple of days ago. He's in intensive care right now.

Knife crime seems rife across the country. Worrying times.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The only solution to knife crime is a reduction in poverty and some kind of national child-limiting policy.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Scary. Glad you’re okay mate.
Thanks mate. It's always terrible seeing incidents like this but it really drives things into perspective when it's places you know and walk often. Terrible news, really hope those in recovery are okay and thoughts with the poor victims and their families too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why try tackle the issues causing crime when you can instead just blame immigration?
I agree it should be tackled at the source but poverty doesn’t mean you end up stabbing loads of people does it?

Dealing with poverty would massively address street crime but this is surely a different kettle of fish.

altodevil

I agree it should be tackled at the source but poverty doesn’t mean you end up stabbing loads of people does it?

Dealing with poverty would massively address street crime but this is surely a different kettle of fish.
The way I see it:

Poverty -> Not taking school seriously or no support at home -> Poorly educated and easily influenced by media and your typical fascist try hards

Everything is routed to poverty. Poverty and inherent human shiteness.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The way I see it:

Poverty -> Not taking school seriously or no support at home -> Poorly educated and easily influenced by media and your typical fascist try hards

Maybe so, yeah.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The way I see it:

That's a weird take on things.

Most of the Rest of the world are way poorer than a Britain citizen, your idea of poor is living on a dole, our idea of poor is living on 1-2 pound / day and that's feeding our family. You don't see many terrorist attack in Asia (SEA)

Fingeredmouse

Most of the Rest of the world are way poorer than a Britain citizen, your idea of poor is living on a dole, our idea of poor is living on 1-2 pound / day and that's feeding our family. You don't see many terrorist attack in Asia (SEA)
Is this true? Didn't the the Security Minister of Indonesia get attacked by a knife wielding terrorist last year for instance?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Is this true? Didn't the the Security Minister of Indonesia get attacked by a knife wielding terrorist last year for instance?
Yup, but that doesn't' happened very often. I'm saying htings like random shooting / knifing is very rare. What happened to the Minister was a premeditated attack. What happened in UK and US are pretty random it seems.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

You realise poverty is relative?

GlasgowRedz

Hotel is used to house asylum seekers during this current Covid Lockdown, attacker stabbed the hotel receptionist and maintenance guy and other people staying at the hotel, some were stabbed out in the street.

Guy supposedly ran back in and up to his room and the armed police then went in and shot him in his room.

Police officer that was stabbed is critical but stable.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Officer is critical but stable apparently. And not being treated as a terrorist incident.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
If poverty means you're more likely to become indoctrinated by facists (or whatever ist) then surely there would be more attacks on poorer parts of the world.
If we are talking about the rise of facism again in the West I'd say it's the sister issue of rising income inequality is the cause. People are struggling more and more and get angry at the establishment they view as responsible. Then they move to the extreme ideologies that promise to fix these issues.

RedTiger

Half mast
Hotel is used to house asylum seekers during this current Covid Lockdown, attacker stabbed the hotel receptionist and maintenance guy and other people staying at the hotel, some were stabbed out in the street.

Guy supposedly ran back in and up to his room and the armed police then went in and shot him in his room.

Police officer that was stabbed is critical but stable.
Was it terrorist related or he just went nuts?

PoTMS

By terrorist, do they mean the suspect was not a Muslim/immigrant?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The way I see it:

Loving this blame the poor spiel, you literally described my upbringing.

My view is that the rich are the problem - believing everyone who cant afford private school are scum leads to them having little empathy that creates absolute cretinous kids which causes this huge social divide amongst the classes.

Truth be told people are just animals, the only difference is that poor people get punished while the wealthy get immunity.

altodevil

Loving this blame the poor spiel, you literally described my upbringing.

My view is that the rich are the problem - believing everyone who cant afford private school are scum leads to them having little empathy that creates absolute cretinous kids which causes this huge social divide amongst the classes.

Truth be told people are just animals, the only difference is that poor people get punished while the wealthy get immunity.
You've missed my point. That was my upbringing too. It's not blaming the poor, it's blaming the system which generates mass poverty.