Music Glastonbury 2024

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

Let the rumour mill begin. Almost everyone had Taylor Swift nailed on to headline the Sunday night but she's just announced extra dates on her own tour and is now busy all three days of next year's festival. At least we won't have to battle against her rabid fans for tickets.

I'm at a total loss as to who the two women Emily Eavis said are already booked could be. Rihanna's probably up there. Madonna had decent odds but her recent illness might put paid to that. Beyoncé is the next biggest star out there that could do it. Joni Mitchell? Kate Bush? Kylie?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Adele, Lady GaGa and Pink all spring to mind as being big enough for the slot.

Ariana Grande certainly has a large audience too.

Could even be something unexpected like Blackpink.

ZupZup

I think Dua Lipa, Miley Cyrus or Florence and the Machine... could possibly do it, along with all those mentioned.

mitChley

I know Glastonbury isn't what Glastonbury used to be but I cannot imagine anyone less 'Glasto' than Adele, Pink or Ariana Grande.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I know Glastonbury isn't what Glastonbury used to be but I cannot imagine anyone less 'Glasto' than Adele, Pink or Ariana Grande.
What is a "Glasto" artist?

It's broadly a pop festival and they're some of the biggest female pop artists around.

Adele has actually already done it (at least according to wiki), as has Florence and the Machine.

What made Billie Eilish or Beyonce more "Glasto" than the others mentioned?

Zebs

Adele did it in 2016, was there. Well, I was at the festival but I was throwing up elsewhere for the entire set. Florence headlined when Foo Fighters had to pull out when Dave broke his leg but I don't think she's at the heights she was back then to be able to do it again next year. I could be wrong though.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Would this really be „unexpected“ though? They headlined Coachella and Hyde Park and are playing stadiums in the US.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Would this really be „unexpected“ though? They headlined Coachella and Hyde Park and are playing stadiums in the US.
Given we've got people saying previous Glastonbury headliner Adele isn't "Glasto" enough to headline Glastonbury, I'd say a K-Pop act headlining would be pretty unexpected.

mitChley

What is a "Glasto" artist?

It's broadly a pop festival and they're some of the biggest female pop artists around.

Adele has actually already done it (at least according to wiki), as has Florence and the Machine.

What made Billie Eilish or Beyonce more "Glasto" than the others mentioned?
Maybe I missed the mark with Adele and that's my own personal bias just because I think she's basically the female version of Coldplay, unoriginal music for middle of the road Mrs Brown's Boys music fans.

Beyonce (and Lady Gaga who I think would be a great headliner) are forces in their field, unlike Pink who is...just...not.

I said it in the 2023 thread but I'd love to see Pulp headline again, they were great in their secret set back in 2011 (?).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Planning to get tickets and take our little boy to his first at 18 months old. Can’t wait.

Zebs

Planning to get tickets and take our little boy to his first at 18 months old. Can’t wait.
Out of curiosity, how do you plan on making that work? My missus has a 10yo and twin 7yos and we're thinking about Glasto next year but unsure whether to take them or not. Although I reckon there's a big difference between 18 months and them.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Maybe I missed the mark with Adele and that's my own personal bias just because I think she's basically the female version of Coldplay, unoriginal music for middle of the road Mrs Brown's Boys music fans.

Beyonce (and Lady Gaga who I think would be a great headliner) are forces in their field, unlike Pink who is...just...not.

I said it in the 2023 thread but I'd love to see Pulp headline again, they were great in their secret set back in 2011 (?).
Coldplay have also headlined (as has Ed Sheeran).

I'm not a fan of Pink but she's been around for ages and has a pretty large catalogue of songs that lots of people will know (at least a bit).

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Each to their own but this seems absolutely mental to me :lol:

Mine's just turned 19 months and it's hard enough wrangling him and keeping him happy at the best of times, never mind at a busy music festival.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Given we've got people saying previous Glastonbury headliner Adele isn't "Glasto" enough to headline Glastonbury, I'd say a K-Pop act headlining would be pretty unexpected.
Yeah, i get that and kinda agree. Their Coachella set was supposedly really good. 2h long with a full band and they come with a big fan base. For me it is also pop and not k-pop. We don’t call it us-pop or uk-pop either. :wenger:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Yeah, i get that and kinda agree. Their Coachella set was supposedly really good. 2h long with a full band and they come with a big fan base. For me it is also pop and not k-pop. We don’t call it us-pop or uk-pop either. :wenger:
But we have had Britpop

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
But we have had Britpop
Shit, you got me! :lol:
But that was indeed a very specific kind of music while a lot of k-pop is simply generic, and often well-made, pop.

20solskjaer

I presume this is in ref to Blackpink?
I was at hyde park on sunday, took my 9 year old, its not my thing but they definitly put on a show, they played about 80 minutes, had a section in the middle where all 4 did solo songs, had a full live band too

i think musically they are set up to be a good live act, everything builds up to these explosive sections that people were going wild over (not really sure someone like ariana grande has that) the choreography is fantastic, there was about 65000 there sunday and there was nowhere near as many children as i thought there would be, there was alot of groups of women and then mixed groups of adults

i was definitly surprised at the quality of ‘show’ they put on, the issue might be that the end of their current world tour coincides with the end of their supposed 7 year contract and theres talk they might be done

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Shit, you got me! :lol:
But that was indeed a very specific kind of music while a lot of k-pop is simply generic, and often well-made, pop.
I think there's a distinct enough sound there for a lot of it (at least the mainstream stuff) to group it under the 'K-Pop' umbrella, not least that a good chunk of each song is in Korean.

:lol:

I can think of few things id rather do less than try and put an 18 month old to bed at a 5 day festival.

This is what grandparents were invented for.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Out of curiosity, how do you plan on making that work? My missus has a 10yo and twin 7yos and we're thinking about Glasto next year but unsure whether to take them or not. Although I reckon there's a big difference between 18 months and them.
Each to their own but this seems absolutely mental to me :lol:

Mine's just turned 19 months and it's hard enough wrangling him and keeping him happy at the best of times, never mind at a busy music festival.
:lol:

I can think of few things id rather do less than try and put an 18 month old to bed at a 5 day festival.

This is what grandparents were invented for.
Thanks for the support :lol:

We’ve been to Glastonbury 16 times between the two of us so we’re under no illusions that it’s anything other than a challenge. Siblings and friends of the groups we have been with over the years have brought their young children along and enjoyed it so I’m sure we can too.

Put simply it’s absolutely nothing like a festival experience when you don’t have kids, you’re looking after them all day long (and all night…) and you have to sacrifice things you would otherwise want to do.

The kids field is amazing though, we’ve spent time in there with friend’s kids and it’s so well organised. I know at 18 months it’s not the same but all the toddlers we’ve been with think it’s the best place on earth.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I've either reached an age where I don't understand music anymore or this year's line up was a bit shite. I don't think there was anything after the Friday line up that I'd have been bothered about.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
I presume this is in ref to Blackpink?
I was at hyde park on sunday, took my 9 year old, its not my thing but they definitly put on a show, they played about 80 minutes, had a section in the middle where all 4 did solo songs, had a full live band too

i think musically they are set up to be a good live act, everything builds up to these explosive sections that people were going wild over (not really sure someone like ariana grande has that) the choreography is fantastic, there was about 65000 there sunday and there was nowhere near as many children as i thought there would be, there was alot of groups of women and then mixed groups of adults

i was definitly surprised at the quality of ‘show’ they put on, the issue might be that the end of their current world tour coincides with the end of their supposed 7 year contract and theres talk they might be done
My daughter (12) is mad into Blackpink and tbh some of them ain't half bad, they have a real knack of banging out some great sections in some of their songs with fat base lines and some solid rapping, TLC vibes, it's a shame that half of the songs are filled with the poppy stuff too as it takes you out of it tbh. Talented bunch though that's for sure, Lisa is destined for big things imo, she seems to have the lot, most talented out of them all, my daughter agrees too so it must be right :lol:

They would be an awesome headline though, put on a great show.

Gavinb33

Let the rumour mill begin. Almost everyone had Taylor Swift nailed on to headline the Sunday night but she's just announced extra dates on her own tour and is now busy all three days of next year's festival. At least we won't have to battle against her rabid fans for tickets.

I'm at a total loss as to who the two women Emily Eavis said are already booked could be. Rihanna's probably up there. Madonna had decent odds but her recent illness might put paid to that. Beyoncé is the next biggest star out there that could do it. Joni Mitchell? Kate Bush? Kylie?
Paramore maybe

hodgey123

I'd go and see Madonna if I got a ticket. Hopefully this time in 2 weeks I will have already wrapped up a coach ticket.

Zebs

Paramore maybe
They're supporting Taylor Swift in Dublin on all three days but it is still possible if they got a helicopter one of the days maybe?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
They're supporting Taylor Swift in Dublin on all three days but it is still possible if they got a helicopter one of the days maybe?
any rumours on Slane yet? Ive seen AC/DC as possibilities

its very late getting announed isnt it?

Zebs

any rumours on Slane yet? Ive seen AC/DC as possibilities

its very late getting announed isnt it?
Usually they try to get it announced ahead of the Christmas present buying run but not always. Taylor Swift and Coldplay would be the obvious ones who are touring next year but they've got their own shows already obviously. AC/DC potentially yeah. I'm really not sure tbh. No strong rumours

hodgey123

I have seen a few clips of her current tour, found them a bit cringe to be honest.
Feel like to some extent with these big names it doesn't matter at Glastonbury because everyone seems to be singing along regardless (see Diana Ross, I was there and it was great but watching back, it was awful).