Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

Withnail

Fans my left tit, without being totally in control we were building momentum nicely and there was only going to be one winner but then, around the 33rd minute the spoilt little Princesses piped up, probably on cue with their "Love United, hate Glazer" bullshit, and what happened, shock friggin horror Burnley scored within minutes and controlled the game from there on in.

At least the majority tried to get behind the team, but the damage had already been done.

Before the game, or after the game, or sod off. It ain't your club.
It isnt the fans fault the team can't defend set pieces and fold like a pack of cards when they concede a goal.

This has happened quite a few times this season when there weren't anti-Glazer chants

Jesus wept.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Fans my left tit, without being totally in control we were building momentum nicely and there was only going to be one winner but then, around the 33rd minute the spoilt little Princesses piped up, probably on cue with their "Love United, hate Glazer" bullshit, and what happened, shock friggin horror Burnley scored within minutes and controlled the game from there on in.

At least the majority tried to get behind the team, but the damage had already been done.

Before the game, or after the game, or sod off. It ain't your club.
You're saying they scored the set piece because of a chant?

Jericholyte2

The truth of the whole thing is the club as we all knew it died in 2005 when they took over and it’s taken this long to realise it. For 8yrs we had the will of the greatest living manager keeping the club alive and fortunately a lot of the core that made the 2007-2010 team was already present.

Prior to this, contrary to the revisionist narrative, we had no issue at all buying superstars or going all out for young talent. It was always a core of local/academy talent enhance by some of the best in the world. Yorker and Cole, Rudd, Stam, Ferdinand (30m in 2001!!!), 12.8m for an unproven 18yr Old Portuguese kid (remember the outrage?) and 24m for Rooney at 18yrs old. Not just fees but wages too as I’m sure we remember the outrage when we gave Keane £75k a week.

The club was hitting life support after Ronaldo left and we spent 1/6 of his money on a replacement, quickly followed by the unwillingness to pay the requirement for Tevez and Fergie's, ‘no value in the market’ period. They stuck their necks out one time to get Fergie RvP but for that post-Ronaldo period our spending was a joke. We had, barring arguably the greatest Barcelona side there’s ever been, the best squad in Europe. It was us and Barca at the top table with a long gap to the next tier of teams but we got shoehorned in to second rate deals for the likes of Buttner, Nick Powell and others that did nothing but veer the squad off-course in to mediocrity. The only thing that got us that last title for Fergie was that combination of his mentality and that of the core number of players within that squad who would simply refuse to be beaten. We played some SHIT that season but would always find a way to get the points.

As soon as the great man left (and I’m genuinely pissed at his role in their takeover with that shit with JP McManus) the inmates started running the asylum. Gill left (I would argue the bigger loss for the club) and the Glazers’s little pet came in and suddenly became a football CEO instead of an accountant and a Commercial Director.

The fact is that the club, to continue the analogy is no longer on life support, it’s dead, stuffed on the Glazers mantle-piece like a trophy and our only apparent saviours are the fecking Saudi royal family, a group happy to murder journalists and allegedly hack multinational conglomerate CEO’s phones.

When it was Moyes he was too inexperienced, with LvG he was over the hill, with Jose it was that he was too acerbic, with Ole it’s that he’s too friendly. It does not matter who our manager is whilst these leaches are in charge as, no matter how nice a vision the manager wants to present, they simply won’t have the resources released to let them realise it. I’m not even blaming Woodward anymore at this point because he’s not at the top, and he has a boss who tells him exactly how high he can jump.

In 2005 we were one of the biggest footballing brands in the world, had zero debt and would throw our financial muscle and take the best from the others to make us better. Now we are in the top 5 sporting brands in the world, a financial juggernaut, with less resources to the core stock of our value, the team.

It’s a fecking disgrace.

Last edited:

Relevated

The truth of the whole thing is the club as we all knew it died in 2005 when they took over and it’s taken this long to realise it. For 8yrs we had the will of the greatest living manager keeping the club alive and fortunately a lot of the core that made the 2007-2010 team was already present.

The club was hitting life support after Ronaldo left and we spent 1/6 of his money on a replacement, quickly followed by the unwillingness to pay the requirement for Tevez and Fergie's, ‘no value in the market’ period. They stuck their necks out one time to get Fergie RvP but for that post-Ronaldo period our spending was a joke. We had, barring arguably the greatest Barcelona side there’s ever been, the best squad in Europe. It was us and Barca at the top table with a long gap to the next tier of teams but we got shoehorned in to second rate deals for the likes of Buttner, Nick Powell and others that did nothing but veer the squad off-course in to mediocrity. The only thing that got us that last title for Fergie was that combination of his mentality and that of the core number of players within that squad who would simply refuse to be beaten. We played some SHIT that season but would always find a way to get the points.

As soon as the great man left (and I’m genuinely pissed at his role in their takeover with that shit with JP McManus) the inmates started running the asylum. Gill left (I would argue the bigger loss for the club) and the Glazers’s little pet came in and suddenly became a football CEO instead of an accountant and a Commercial Director.

The fact is that the club, to continue the analogy is no longer on life support, it’s dead, stuffed on the Glazers mantle-piece like a trophy and our only apparent saviours are the fecking Saudi royal family, a group happy to murder journalists and allegedly hack multinational conglomerate CEO’s phones.

When it was Moyes he was too inexperienced, with LvG he was over the hill, with Jose it was that he was too acerbic, with Ole it’s that he’s too friendly. It does not matter who our manager is whilst these leaches are in charge as, no matter how nice a vision the manager wants to present, they simply won’t have the resources released to let them realise it. I’m not even blaming Woodward anymore at this point because he’s not at the top, and he has a boss who tells him exactly how high he can jump.

In 2005 we were one of the biggest footballing brands in the world, had zero debt and would throw our financial muscle and take the best from the others to make us better. Now we are in the top 5 sporting brands in the world, a financial juggernaut, with less resources to the core stock of our value, the team.

It’s a fecking disgrace.
This is a great post and looking back at the years, you get the feeling that were we really not signing superstars because it wasn't really our identity or because we had no permission? Could we have been even better than we were? I remember with ferguson it was as if he just didn't want to sign a midfielder. Damn the glazers

Colin Clarke

Seems not to be getting much of response still. I wish someone would run with it. I think it'll be a very effective protest in our current situation. We're already on tbe brink of financial ruin after successive years of poor performance on the pitch. Fan protest is the last thing the club want on their hands.
Actually the problem is that United are still making a profit, their share price is up, not as much as it should be bit still up. The Glazers record with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is a great insight into how much they don't actually care what is happening on the field of play as long as they are still making money. One positive is that Chevrolet are looking unlikely to renew their sponsorship and at the moment United are struggling to find a replacement. Fan could also email the other club sponsors and put pressure on them to put pressure on the club. Money talks. If I lived in the U.S.A I would boycott their malls, another way to hit their pockets

Colin Clarke

I wouldn't walk out on the 58th minute, I would clap for 1 minute to commemorate and remember those who lost their lives in the Munich air disaster then walk out as I believe those who lost their lives would like us to do. They loved our club like we do, the Glazers just love the money.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I wouldn't walk out on the 58th minute, I would clap for 1 minute to commemorate and remember those who lost their lives in the Munich air disaster then walk out as I believe those who lost their lives would like us to do. They loved our club like we do, the Glazers just love the money.
That’s a brilliant solution and a stronger statement.

Jericholyte2

Yes!

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
When it comes to Custis, I think LvG said it best when he said, "Hey you, fatman. Have a mince pie. "

Seb burrow

Prior to this, contrary to the revisionist narrative, we had no issue at all buying superstars or going all out for young talent. It was always a core of local/academy talent enhance by some of the best in the world. Yorker and Cole, Rudd, Stam, Ferdinand (30m in 2001!!!), 12.8m for an unproven 18yr Old Portuguese kid (remember the outrage?) and 24m for Rooney at 18yrs old. Not just fees but wages too as I’m sure we remember the outrage when we gave Keane £75k a week.

It’s a fecking disgrace.
Perfectly executed that bud . Got to make this situation as difficult as possible for the Glazers.

Relevated

Piece from Neil Custis who says Woodward's wife has stopped attending games due to the abuse among other things.

Blames Joel glazer for uniteds poor management but refuses to give a single reason why Joel glazer is to blame.

Tel074

For the local fans it wouldn't be too bad, but there's 100's that come over from Ireland, and 1000's that travel up from London/SE for each home game, it must cost a small fortune, you can't expect them to leave too early, certainly not before the 80th minute.

I think there must have been some planning for Wednesday night, that didn't just happen, by all accounts it was cold, but it's not as though fans feared they wouldn't be able to get away because of the weather. Something triggered it, and it wasn't just the performance on the pitch - interesting times ahead.

I travel from Ireland for every home game and yes it costs a small fortune but im the same as every manc I love my club and I hate what is happening to it . So I will gladly walk out early during the Wolves game and honestly I'd be happy doing it for the rest of the season if it means us being heard

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I travel from Ireland for every home game and yes it costs a small fortune but im the same as every manc I love my club and I hate what is happening to it . So I will gladly walk out early during the Wolves game and honestly I'd be happy doing it for the rest of the season if it means us being heard
Good on ya for your commitment. I can't even be arsed travelling from South Manchester :lol:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It isnt the fans fault the team can't defend set pieces and fold like a pack of cards when they concede a goal.

This has happened quite a few times this season when there weren't anti-Glazer chants

Jesus wept.
They didn't fold like a pack of cards @ Anfield did they? You know against the English Champions in waiting, and the European and World Champions.

Do you think the chants helped or hindered the team? It didn't make a shite of difference is not an option.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Admirable, best not to fess up to the Mrs though ;)

AneRu

If anyone is wondering - I know this is all the Glazers are looking at - but United's stock market cap had $200m USD wiped out in the past 5 days. The market is starting to take notice of footballing events and that means Ole is now running a thin line.
Ole is not our major problem in the strictest sense, he is done and will be gone in the next few weeks. The guys that appointed him and the three clowns that came before him are. We shouldn't lose sight of the root causes because that will mean allowing Woodward to mess it up again.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Piece from Neil Custis who says Woodward's wife has stopped attending games due to the abuse among other things.

I'm not clicking on that, but it's worth just stopping to think about how the club has spent money, to employ a writer for a national newspaper (even as shitty a one as the Sun), to write fluff pieces in an attempt to change fans opinion of a grossly underachieving CEO.

What a disgrace.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8939759/solskjaer-carrick-man-utd-transfer/

Woodward's incompetency and cluelessness is just amazing.

Esquire

This, as incredible as it sounds in that only now the Glazers are worried about on-field performance, has credence to it. This is exactly the way they run their NFL franchise, which has not been competitive for years. And don’t forget, the NFL is structured (draft, salary cap, etc) to generate much more parity amongst teams. This is my own personal opinion of course but I think that is where the Glazers made a fundamental mistake in copying that their business model for the Tampa Bay Bucs onto the running of United. They wrongly assume that sporting success can be separated from commercial profit generation with an established brand based on an ecosystem (NFL or Premier League) that guarantees continued astonishing profit once they gain control of the franchise. The NFL is simply not the PL.

red thru&thru

Custis is a twat and yeah he's your man's mate.

There's no point reading anything he writes.
I think it makes great reading. Recent stories are of Ed blaming the Glazer's and the Glazer's blaming Ed. I for one welcome these stories as it points to one thing.

Withnail

They didn't fold like a pack of cards @ Anfield did they? You know against the English Champions in waiting, and the European and World Champions.

Do you think the chants helped or hindered the team? It didn't make a shite of difference is not an option.
Gas... Liverpool ripped us apart over and over again. We were extremely lucky that wasn't 5 or 6 nil.

We've been terrible against loads of poor sides that sit deep and defend all season. This was a repeat of that pattern.

We create a few early chances, then as the game wears on the performance starts to drop as we run out of ideas. Then the opposition get a goal via a set piece, a worldie or defensive error and it's game over.

We weren't playing well against Burnley at the start either. It was all slow side to side, take a potshot when it's not on or get it wide to AWB who was one of the few who had a good game.

It's beyond delusional to think the team heard some fans singing love United hate Glazer and suddenly shit themselves but everything would have been fine if the fans were signing about Giggs or Cantona.

EDIT: Besides if they do it after the game it wouldn't get picked up in TV and who'd even notice. The whole point of protests is that you publicise them.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

Can someone please explain to me why the glazers seem to be tightening the leash on Ed Woodward? Why are they concerned with what happens on the pitch all of a sudden?
As the penny has dropped that Ed has wasted all their money and have nothing to show for it. Joel and Avram will want to be competitive again. Also, United have to meet financial rules as part of their loan of club and at the moment, have to tighten up financially. This bit has already been explained in this or another thread by another poster.

Ed will not be in power by the summer. No inside information but just by me piecing things together.

Alabaster Codify7

No penny has dropped. It's just Neil Ashton getting to work.

What have we seen since the Burnley fiasco and the negative publicity the walkout towards the end received?

"Woodward isn't to blame, he's shackled by the Glazers..."

"The Glazers are actively concerned about on-field issues...."

"The scouting network is being beefed up ahead of the summer window...."

Notice that none of these 'stories' revolve around the elephant in the room - the fact that our squad is on death's door, and we are 6 days away from the window closing with ZERO additions to the squad.

red thru&thru

No penny has dropped. It's just Neil Ashton getting to work.

What have we seen since the Burnley fiasco and the negative publicity the walkout towards the end received?

"Woodward isn't to blame, he's shackled by the Glazers..."

"The Glazers are actively concerned about on-field issues...."

"The scouting network is being beefed up ahead of the summer window...."

Notice that none of these 'stories' revolve around the elephant in the room - the fact that our squad is on death's door, and we are 6 days away from the window closing with ZERO additions to the squad.
What has the squad got to do with any of these stories? The fact is, there is so much unrest at ownership/boardroom level, that it filters throughout the whole club. Have you noticed how no player performs long enough when brought into the team but starts performing when leaving the club? United is a toxic place at the moment and until the hierarchy don't change, no amount of players will make a difference to our club. Like Raiola said, we'd ruin peak Maradonna, Pele et al.

Alabaster Codify7

What has the squad got to do with any of these stories? The fact is, there is so much unrest at ownership/boardroom level, that it filters throughout the whole club. Have you noticed how no player performs long enough when brought into the team but starts performing when leaving the club? United is a toxic place at the moment and until the hierarchy don't change, no amount of players will make a difference to our club. Like Raiola said, we'd ruin peak Maradonna, Pele et al.

Yeah, and what's the most realistic reason for this?

They're being coached well enough to stand out and look like a good signing; they arrive and perform well, but then the longer they spend working with our coaching staff, the worse they become. We are literally ruining players at OT with our shite coaching. All three of our signings looked much better in their first 2-3 games with us, than they do now - that is not good. Not good at all.

red thru&thru

Yeah, and what's the most realistic reason for this?

They're being coached well enough to stand out and look like a good signing; they arrive and perform well, but then the longer they spend working with our coaching staff, the worse they become. We are literally ruining players at OT with our shite coaching. All three of our signings looked much better in their first 2-3 games with us, than they do now - that is not good. Not good at all.
And our board are just as much to blame. Look at Poch and Spurs. All at higher level have to be on the same page for the whole club to perform. Direction comes from above.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ed will not be in power by the summer. No inside information but just by me piecing things together.
Well, regardless of whether Joel and Avram want to be competitive (which they should unless they a) plan on selling this sinking ship soon or b) are fine with raking in less and less in terms of commercial deals) it would be a very popular move among the global fan base, arguably more so than sacking Ole.

Roboc7

Woodward said Utd was like Disneyland, doubt he still thinks that so there must be a pint where he would have enough and walk away.

Glazers have shown themselves to be incompetent but they will lose patience with Woodward at some point, again what the threshold for that is would be anyone’s guess.

The big factor is selling the club commercially is going to get more and more difficult, more that kicks in the more likely something will be done about it. I would guess we are pretty close to that point as trading on our history can only go on so long.

red thru&thru

Well, regardless of whether Joel and Avram want to be competitive (which they should unless they a) plan on selling this sinking ship soon or b) are fine with raking in less and less in terms of commercial deals) it would be a very popular move among the global fan base, arguably more so than sacking Ole.
Agree. But more than anything, clear direction on how they plan to get us out of this mess!

Lynty

What are fans protesting? I haven't got a grasp of all the details so I'm struggling to understand what the Glazers and Ed have done?

Our net spend in the last 5 years has been staggering. 2nd only to city I believe. It hasn't reflected in our performance so obviously that spending is going to be reigned in.

Our recruitment has been poor. Which is easy to say in hindsight.

Ed makes poor footballing decision and needs to appoint a DoF. Which is right. But a protest to demand a DoF is strange.

The debt placed on the club? Has it really restricted our spending.

I'm not defending the Glazers or Ed, I had a conversation with a Liverpool and a Chelsea fan last night and struggled to explain why the board is the problem. They couldn't see it - and I couldn't deny the facts they presented.

Fluctuation0161

It's Manchester United, it'll get all the media coverage it needs whenever it's done. Plus if it's done at the right time it will put the United fans in a good light, or isn't that important?
If it'll get the media coverage it needs anyway then the players will know about it either way. Stop beating about the bush and just get protesting. Anytime.

The Glazer's have been ruining our club in the background since 2005. Woodward since 2013. Are you ok with that?

I can take a few games of protest in the context of moving for long term improvement at the club.

If you can't then you don't understand the depth of the problem.