Glazers / Woodward out! (One down)

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
There's quite a few of the over 27 players that have worked out as well. I do agree that we should be buying younger players but adding a few of the older ones can still add value and help nature the younger generation.
it’s getting less and less successful as fees and wages rise though I think that’s what the poster you were chatting to was getting at. I’d rather have gotten Haaland and Upamecano as youngsters and blooded them in over a few seasons of not winning much instead of going out and panic signing the likes of Di Maria and Sanchez

DSG

Someone should start a thread with a poll to sack or keep Ed Woodward. When it comes back that 70,000+ fans voted at 99.3% to sack Woodward, we will accomplish a few things:
* An actual number attached to the pure hatred of Woodward by United fans
* We'll know which members of the Caf are actually Ed and his sleeper agents/employees. Then let the community ridicule commence...

:devil:

Robaldo

Wonder if we’re not spending because the board are safe in the knowledge that there is no crowd present to voice displeasure.

Number32

Sir Alex had results to cover things up. Ole cant do shit with this shower of shit players.

Massively backstabbed by these cretins called Glazers and Woodward.
Sir Alex was in a different position, through his brilliance we were still elite.

I don't see how Ole is minimising the damage, by not speaking out he just compiling the feeling of distrust. Ole is in the perfect position, the fans love him and would back him 100% putting the board in a very hard situation. I get the sense he is just happy for the job.
The boards would have won the war easily against whoever manager is. More than a decade they don't give a feck what the fans thinking, so why would a criticizing on public makes them in a very hard situation now?

Let's say Ole criticized the boards on public to start a war, then what? They would treated him like a shite, sack him, and hire a new manager to make another shite cycle.
Fergie was the reason these parasites got in in the first place
Probably true, but at least he knew what he could do without destroying the club. We might be another Sunderland or Portsmouth if he figth them in the first place.

This is the result when you trust bankers on top management who never experience the job technically, and ignoring the important of Technical Director.

I can imagine the boards only discussing the numbers on the balance books, thinking Woodward is the football expert since he watched lots of football game recently. But the show must go on, DoF will be a win win solution until United find the new owner and kick these parasites out.

AneRu

Whatever their objectives maybe Woodward certainly isnt doing as good a job as someone more competent on the football side would. The simple reason is that the club isn't run efficiently and without efficiency you arent running at your most profitable.

Simple things like recognizing that Jones doesn't have any value as a footballer and giving him a new deal would be a huge mistake or that James is never going to be worth more than what he is right now so take the money and run are just beyond Woodward and his mate Judge. Last season we could have and should have made De Gea sweat for a new deal but we handed him one on a silver platter after a indifferent season in 2018/19.

This season is so reminiscent of the 2018-19 or the 2013 Moyes debacle where Woodward spent the summer window playing around, chasing shadows and ended up sabotaging the manager by not adequately backing the manager. Bet he looked good for saving all the money but did it feel so good when we were panic buying Mata in January and paying up Moyes' six year deal before the end of the first year? Same thing happened with Jose and we ended up paying off Jose and spending £20m more on the Maguire signing that we should have completed for £60m the previous season.

In my view it's simple, it's either the Glazers let Woodward go or they limit his influence on football decisions by bringing in a competent and high powered DOF with the authority to determine the club's football philosophy and overall recruitment.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Whatever their objectives maybe Woodward certainly isnt doing as good a job as someone more competent on the football side would. The simple reason is that the club isn't run efficiently and without efficiency you arent running at your most profitable.
Why do people keep saying this. Ed is doing a great job. It's just that his job isn't to win enough football matches to win the league. Why is this hard to understand?

The Irish Connection

I've been saying it for a long time, Ole is the perfect manager for Woodward and the Glazers because the majority will never turn on him and he'll never say anything to rock the boat on their end either. Mourinho was never going to tolerate what was going on here, LVG neither. Then you look at Klopp also who seen us as something resembling Disney Land.
Yeah, you’re right, and now covid has given them another shield. It’s ridiculous. We could all accept a few years of rebuilding after Fergie retired but after showing progress recently, we’ll now slip backwards again because of them.
I think people should start making contact with mark goldbridge and United stand about doing something because they have a huge following and might be able to make the glazers and co uncomfortable at the very least.
I’m not subscribed to him on YouTube but I would if he started organizing protests etc and I think they’re sentiments are in the right place. And I don’t give a shit about this agenda against fan channels or that he’s from Nottingham or whatever, we need to be pulling together about all this, enough is enough.

AneRu

Why do people keep saying this. Ed is doing a great job. It's just that his job isn't to win enough football matches to win the league. Why is this hard to understand?
I know that most people think that we are where we are because of some cynical financial master plan by the evil genius Ed but the reality is that you don't need to spend the type of money that we spend on fees and wages just to finish fourth.

We aren't failing because the Glazers dont want to win we are failing because they can't run a football club. I don't believe that we broke transfer records for players like Pogba just to finish fourth! We tried to spend our way out of trouble and failed spectacularly.

A club that just wants to finish in the CL places would just get itself a top DOF like Campos, headhunt a good coach, some top scouts and hand him the cheque book and say 'here you have £60m to spend per year net, get us CL football and we are good'. He'd do that on a fraction of what we are spending right now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His job is to be astute with the money he spends and he's absolutely fecking shit at this it's beyond a joke.

VanGaalyTime

Wonder if we’re not spending because the board are safe in the knowledge that there is no crowd present to voice displeasure.
Crossed my mind too. But just because fans aren't at old trafford doesn't mean fans don't have a voice. Social media and our digital presence is so important now. Plus fans can actually directly impact our sponsors in various ways. The proactive fan will always have their impact on the team and it's important for Glazers and Woodward to understand the value that fans bring to the club.

clarkydaz

I know that most people think that we are where we are because of some cynical financial master plan by the evil genius Ed but the reality is that you don't need to spend the type of money that we spend on fees and wages just to finish fourth.

We aren't failing because the Glazers dont want to win we are failing because they can't run a football club. I don't believe that we broke transfer records for players like Pogba just to finish fourth! We tried to spend our way out of trouble and failed spectacularly.

A club that just wants to finish in the CL places would just get itself a top DOF like Campos, headhunt a good coach, some top scouts and hand him the cheque book and say 'here you have £60m to spend per year net, get us CL football and we are good'. He'd do that on a fraction of what we are spending right now.
Well said. At any other club the silly contracts and wages would have dried up a long time ago. United bring in so much they could make mistake after mistake and not really have to answer for it

monosierra

Or just buy nothing from anyone on this list?

https://www.manutd.com/en/partners/global#

CHEVROLET adidas Aon Kohler Aeroflot Apollo Tyres Cadbury Canon Medical Systems Casillero del Diablo CHIVAS DHL Gulf HCL Konami Maui Jim Marriott Hotels Melitta Mlily Remington Swissquote Tag Heuer Visit Malta YABO SPORTS
If the big shirt names starts to be replaced by increasinly lesser known brands, we'd be in trouble. The in-kind sponsors are different since they don't contribute cash.

AneRu

Well said. At any other club the silly contracts and wages would have dried up a long time ago. United bring in so much they could make mistake after mistake and not really have to answer for it
Problem is that the Glazers themselves are as incompetent as their flunkey they for running around trashing our club's name all over Europe. Just by looking at United's financials one can see his incompetence, our wage bill is eye watering and even as we complain we have just spent £200m in twelve months.

The Glazers' ownership model and financial objectives might have made us vulnerable and not able to spend as much as we might want but if you look around you'd see that very few clubs spend as much as we do. The problem is we spend it on the wrong players and we don't spend to a plan, we broke the world record for Pogba but five years down the line we don't know how to use him.

The funny thing is that it is the Glazers who should be demanding answers from Woodward because at the of the day it they who suffer the financial implications of his antics. It is they who should be imposing a DoF on Woodward because it his incompetence that's bringing the spotlight on them.

Hansa

There's lots of things that can be done to severely hurt the pockets of the owners. However, if people are looking for a miracle cure that would seamlessly take us into the promised land from the position where we are now, they set themselves up for disappointment. The only such exit door would lead us into the arms of previously discussed filthy-rich dictatorships, in which case I would be one of quite a few to make a clean break with the club.

As long as the family and their stooges are making money, they'll keep the club under their wings. In other words, if getting rid of the owners are our main concern, we'll have to be ready to take to or three steps backwards - maybe even a suffer a relegation or two - in order to make it a (temporarily) non-profitable business and reclaim the club. I wouldn't have any problem with that, but I reckon I'm in the minority.

The Irish Connection

The fans owe Moyes a bit of an apology for calling him ‘dithering Dave ‘, it was clearly the idiot leeches above him that were dithering.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
And the award for worst transfer saga ever goes to...
Well this window, we have competition between Smalling, Telles and Sancho saga.
All three have a common thread which all the other clubs involved have noted that United's negotiating tactics are shambolic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Going to be a long road back to the top for us, sadly. Heads should roll for this summer, but obviously, they won't.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We are in shambles and changing managers will not make much difference. 4 managers have been here since SAF left and the issue still remains the same. Surely there must be a bigger issue then.
There are bigger issues. Actually the problem is that we don't just have one issue. Neither is Ole really the standard of manager required , nor are Judge/Woodward/Glazers fit to run the club as is needed. It feels nice to say that THIS is the issue so that THAT can seem better and we can be happy with some part of the ciub but I think we lack in both areas. All those managers actually did do a poor job as did the top level management.

Naturally after a pathetic summer like this Woodward and Judge deserve the heat turned on them. Not to mentioned the Glazers and their leech like nature.

OleGunnar20

Anyone know how to start a Woodward out petition? I know it's no silver bullet but it'll be a start at least ey.

Lentwood

Reading your posts in this thread is giving me a pain in my head. Everything since the Glazers took over is their problem. The situation we are in is entirely their fault. They own the club ffs. They hired Woodward and then let him have control of the club with his mates. They allowed him to waste all that money with bloated contracts and stupid transfer fees. They can't see past the balance sheet and his APR is not based on how well the football team is doing. This is the problem and it's all on them.
I don’t think you’re getting my point. The Glazers have been a disaster for the club, they are the sole reason for our decline.

However. This thread is about transfers and I get fed-up of posters whingeing about how “we haven’t signed any players” or “we haven’t spent enough”

Both of those statements are obviously and demonstrably false.

The problems we have had for the last decade come down to an antiquated management structure and approach to transfers and scouting and Ed Woodward’s deluded “Adult Disneyland” nonsense.

But there is another “however”. What I have seen in the last 18mnths has been very positive. Signings have been much improved. Deadwood is slowly been moved out. Thing is, all of this takes time.

There’s an excellent thread somewhere on this forum where a poster explains we already have two more players than we can actually use. Players have to be moved on realistically if we want to keep signing players.

I also put together a thread (which many more learned people than I contributed too) about how in actuality, the club doesn’t have much spare cash left over, if any, at the end of every season for transfers. Put simply, we spend as much as we can afford to on transfers.

Now of course, “as much as we can afford to spend” would be higher without the interest payments (this is all covered in my thread) but if you think the Glazers disappearing would mean we would suddenly be spending £200m net every window I’m afraid that’s just not realistic

Put simply, i’m firmly anti-Glazer but i’m also realistic enough to know our problems have run deeper than “wot, no transfers??!?!” and i’m starting to see a change in mentality from the club that I actually like

For me, going back to the bad old days of panic signing mercenaries on deadline day would be a massive backward step.

Number32

The Glazers' ownership model and financial objectives might have made us vulnerable and not able to spend as much as we might want but if you look around you'd see that very few clubs spend as much as we do. The problem is we spend it on the wrong players and we don't spend to a plan, we broke the world record for Pogba but five years down the line we don't know how to use him.

The funny thing is that it is the Glazers who should be demanding answers from Woodward because at the of the day it they who suffer the financial implications of his antics. It is they who should be imposing a DoF on Woodward because it his incompetence that's bringing the spotlight on them.
There are no financial implications of his antics. Pogba might not won us any title, but by selling his adidas image alone is enough to cover the Glazers financial objectives. Woodward is a genius if we're talking about the financial model, do you remember when we signed Kagawa from Dortmund? United had tons of Japanese sponsorship, even we had official snacks and noodles. On the other hand we are terrible in football's prespective.

Woodward set the "top 4" target for every manager, because adidas would cut £25m of their sponsorship deal if we didn't played in the Champions League. The prize money from winning trophies and the titles is just a bonus for him. He can get more £££ elsewhere, Manchester United is a huge brands image with a large fan base all over the world.

Drifter

American
It looks like the Glazers are now content on just getting that CL spot, that as now become our bar. And if we don't get a spot, then that is when the Glazers will reach into their wallet to strengthen the squad, so we get that CL spot. They do not care about the club, only what they can get from it. That's business.

Last edited:

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Fair enough....how have Hazard and Greizmann worked out?

Thiago I would put in a slightly different category because was available on the cheap. They haven’t made a major investment
An argument can be made for both cases, over 26/27 and below. Dembele for Barca, Coutinho as well, both signed for huge money and didn't deliver. Both have time to turn it around, under better circumstances they could thrive in the right environment.

Lentwood

An argument can be made for both cases, over 26/27 and below. Dembele for Barca, Coutinho as well, both signed for huge money and didn't deliver. Both have time to turn it around, under better circumstances they could thrive in the right environment.
The difference is though Coutinho and Dembele can be moved on. Once you pay big bucks for an over 28 you’re usually stuck with them

The way football transfer fees are going clubs will increasingly use their Academies to fill out the squad and when clubs do make signings, they will be looking for players who will have resale value if it doesn’t work out.

Football transfer fees increase in-line with the amount of commercial revenue clubs earn but that still doesn’t mean £100m+ for a single footballer is good value, not when you consider what else that cash could buy - which does have to be taken into account in modern football

ShinjiNinja26

It’s mad to think we all laughed and took the piss out the scousers for going 30yrs without a title but the exact same will happen to us as long as these parasites are in charge. We will never seriously challenge for the league again under the Glazer regime.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
These truly are sad times. 2-3 quality players in this summer and we could have closed the gap on the top 2. As things stand we’ll probably finish well outside the top 4.

We just have to hope that our first 11 stays fit for the entire season.

Fluctuation0161

You are aware we finished 3rd and have won more pts per game post-Fernandes than City or Liverpool?

The problem with most posters (and the previous incarnation of Ed Woodward) is that they don’t understand how hard it is to sign players who have the right quality and attitude to improve the team. If you want hordes of sh**e signings just for signings sake then fine, let’s have another window of Rojo’s, Blind’s, Schweinsteiger’s, Schneiderlin’s etc....

I would much prefer to focus on making long term, strategic signings one player at a time. “Long term” in football means 3/4 seasons, most football fans seem to think “long term” is 3/4 months
If you think that 'post Fernandes form' can continue for another season across 4 competitions, with our lack of squad depth for rotation to rest players, then you are living in dreamland.

Woodward has had 7 years to sort out a coherent strategy for player signings, player sales, player contract renewals, playing style and manager succesion planning. He has been an abject failure on all of those counts, yet you are calling for 3 to 4 more seasons of his shite!

I've never seen anything so ridiculous. Take off the Woodward/Glazer glasses mate. This is not a question of supporting your club, so you have to support the owners/CEO. This is a matter of, if you really support your club you would want the CEO out of the club, or at least some serious structural change to fix the glaring footballing problems we have.

Loon

:lol:
Someone should start a thread with a poll to sack or keep Ed Woodward. When it comes back that 70,000+ fans voted at 99.3% to sack Woodward, we will accomplish a few things:
* An actual number attached to the pure hatred of Woodward by United fans
* We'll know which members of the Caf are actually Ed and his sleeper agents/employees. Then let the community ridicule commence...

:devil:
A poll which is then emailed/tweeted to Sky on post-transfer day when no more business is done.