Global Warming

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Nice one.

I am not denying that reducing the amount of energy we spent is a solution. I just don't see us as a species doing so. The discussion has been going for two decades, the projections have been getting worse and worse, and yet, there is no indication that we are going to change in that aspect. In fact, it is arguably getting worse.

For that, I think that the only hope is a technological/scientific solution.
Your argument is that humans are addicted and rather than trying to intervene we should just pray.

Revan

Assumptionman
Nice one.

Your argument is that humans are addicted and rather than trying to intervene we should just pray.
Never said that. I just said that I believe that the solution will be technological, and I applaud people who are working on it.

I never said that as individuals we should not do our own share. For example, I have taken the conscious decision of not getting a car, though it is becoming a struggle to function without one in the US (in Europe it was so much easier). Just that, I don't see us doing anything remotely near enough to have a solution that essentially would require lowering the standard of living.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Never said that. I just said that I believe that the solution will be technological, and I applaud people who are working on it.

I never said that as individuals we should not do our own share. For example, I have taken the conscious decision of not getting a car, though it is becoming a struggle to function without one in the US (in Europe it was so much easier). Just that, I don't see us doing anything remotely near enough to have a solution that essentially would require lowering the standard of living.
Yeah, I don't drive either.

I truly don't know how you're gonna justify 'I felt it was wrong to try to convince people' in the long run.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Hmm...I would have thought rising sea levels would compress hydrates further and repress methane escaping, but I guess they’re not rising quick enough to counteract the warming waters. That is worrisome as we already have the melting permafrost to worry about.

That could push us past the tipping point even with CO2 emission reductions.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
While we're on this uplifting topic, here are some fun graphs on ocean warming (from Oceans break heat records five years in a row (nature.com)):

Oceans used to be a bit of a wildcard in climate change models, but the understanding of the relevant mechanism and dynamics is improving quickly. If it's correct that they have been acting as a bit of a global heat sink, climate change might accelerate when the oceans have reached a certain level of warming themselves. (Probably others in this thread understand this better than I do though.)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They don't say it increased by 1C from the previous year. They say that it was 1.18C above average. The previous year will have been above average too (dunno by how much)
Oops, my bad, could have realised that's too much for one ywar. Do you know what they consider average? In last 100 years or something like that?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Oops, my bad, could have realised that's too much for one ywar. Do you know what they consider average? In last 100 years or something like that?
From World of Change: Global Temperatures (nasa.gov) (see the second paragraph especially):

Global temperature records start around 1880 because observations did not sufficiently cover enough of the planet prior to that time. The line plot above shows yearly temperature anomalies from 1880 to 2020 as recorded by NASA, NOAA, the Berkeley Earth research group, the Met Office Hadley Centre (United Kingdom), and the Cowtan and Way analysis. Though there are minor variations from year to year, all five records show peaks and valleys in sync with each other. All show rapid warming in the past few decades, and all show the last decade as the warmest.

The NASA GISS team chose the period of 1951-1980 as its baseline largely because the U.S. National Weather Service uses a three-decade period to define “normal” or average temperature. The GISS temperature analysis effort also began around 1980, so the most recent 30 years was 1951-1980. Their objective is to provide an estimate of temperature change that could be compared with predictions of global climate change in response to atmospheric carbon dioxide, aerosols, and changes in solar activity.
In principle, the average does not matter too much for the discussion. The important points (and I know this is obvious stuff, but hear me out) are rather that global temperature has been rising at a historically unprecedent speed since the Industrial Revolution; that this particularly development can only have been caused by human activity; and that it will have serious consequences on global and regional climate, and hence on our way of life (and nature, and so on). What you consider 'normal temperatures' doesn't really matter for that conversation; it's mostly just a convenient sort of thing to reference for communications purposes.