GOAT Player and Manager combined

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Controversial- but I think both Zidane (less so) and Pep have been overrated as players.
Pep was in his own works (something like) a 3rd division player with a first division mentality.
Zidane has some great moments sure, but I feel often overrated as a player from a careers perspective. Again, I recognise this is controversial.
Totally agree with this. Most people wouldn't even know Guardiola's name had he not become a coach. He was a very average player. Zidane's legacy also grew massively after his retirement for some reason.

I think Cruyff is the obvious answer to this question.

All time great both as a player and a coach.

The only others worthy of a mention imo are Beckenbauer, Zidane and Heynckes.

Chipper

Adulterer.
FFS, an average footballer is good enough to win precisely zero caps for Spain and good enough to get into a side that wins zero La Ligas and zero CLs , not 47, 6 and 1.

Not being the best player in the world does not make you average.

Charlie Foley

Given that cruyff is the obvious answer, I’ll ask a question about a player/manager a few others are mentioning?

does anyone else think Zidane was a little overrated as a player? Someone said he’s the main reason France won in 98 and that’s patently untrue, the defence was the cornerstone of that side for me. I’ll give him his dues in Euro 2000. I’m not saying he was Jesse Lingard or anything, he was excellent, but I don’t think he was quite the player some would have you believe, I think his highlight real suggests he was brilliant more often than he was.

Also, to be somewhat on topic, he hasn’t really revolutionised or shaped the game in any way at Madrid as a manager, despite his success, unlike Pep or Cruyff who’ve had Far greater impacts. I think RM is a bit of a perfect storm for zidane really, but that’s tough to prove, just a hunch

Charlie Foley

I did not see the other posts calling zidane overrated. That is extremely awkward

sangria

A very impressive stat... though somewhat tempered by the fact that all except one of his goals were not in top flight games (he only ever played 3 games in the top league division scoring one goal and two international caps with no goals...
Essentially 99.6% of his goals were outside the top level and whilst his strike rate is impressive at that level I'm not quite sure it puts him at the Zidane Beckenbauer and cryuff levels as a player
It should be noted that Clough didn't play most of his career in the second tier because he couldn't cut it in the top tier. He was a prime reason why his team got promoted, then suffered a career ending injury almost immediately after starting in the first division. One of the great what-ifs.

From an even earlier age than Clough, how about Matt Busby? The Liverpool site speaks of him as one of the best half backs they've ever had, and we all know about his ability as a manager.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What about 2006 WC where he literally dragged France past Spain and Brazil into the final?

Zidane and Cruyff are joint leaders to me.
Zidane had a great ability to elevate his game on another level in big tournaments, but I don't think that he had ever consistently reached Cruyff's level of performance from mid-60's to mid 70's. It's such a shame that Cruyff had missed the 1978 tournament, although having your family threatened is certainly a thing that would make anyone reconsider his priorities. It's hard to imagine Netherlands not winning that one with Cruyff on board, which would've likely cemented his place alongside Pelé/Maradona, instead of one step below.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Totally agree with this. Most people wouldn't even know Guardiola's name had he not become a coach. He was a very average player. Zidane's legacy also grew massively after his retirement for some reason.

That's because he was a DM in an era where we weren't all glued to our smartphones. He was a good player, not exceptional like Zidane, but certainly not 'average'. A lesser Biscuits without the theatrics.

263 games for Barcelona and 47 games for Spain. I personally think that's better than average.

Anyway the answer to this thread is Cruyff for certain.

U99ted

Zidane built up a legacy while he was playing. He was after all a 3x FIFA World Player of the Year.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That is fair enough and if you want to look at footballing philosophy as a whole then he far exceeds Zidane, I am not going to argue about that. Cruyff definitely impacted the game possibly more than any other person.

But what Zidane has achieved as a manager seems to get understated for some reason (in general, not you). Just because he had a great team of players at his disposal at Madrid seems to mean people dismiss him as being a great manager, yet the likes of Pep who has spent over £1bn in his career and won less CL trophies in far more time, gets hailed as far superior.
Pep just had a huge impact on football. It seems like he's an icon for most of the younger progressive coaches. Tuchel and Nagelsmann seem to worship him, Flick called him the bitw recently, ten Hag followed him to Bayern, from what I remember even Klopp used Barcelona match films to illustrate pressing ideas in his earlier days as a coach and Löw seemed to develop his side in a more dominant direction around the time Guardiola arrived as well. He's had a lasting effect on Spanish and German football at the very least. Zidane doesn't seem to have nearly the same status.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Hard to choose between Cryuff and Zidane. Overall I think Cryuff revolutionzed the game both as a player and a manager, so I think my list would be.

1. Cryuff
2. Zidane
3. Pep

However Zidane might end up as the most succesfull manager of all time when he hangs up his managerial boots.

piesel

Marcello Lippi won everything as a coach but as a player he only reached Sampdoria.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
FFS, an average footballer is good enough to win precisely zero caps for Spain and good enough to get into a side that wins zero La Ligas and zero CLs , not 47, 6 and 1.

Not being the best player in the world does not make you average.
Whilst I agree with you about Guardiola, I very much don't agree with this comment. Djimi Traoré won a CL. Dannys Simpson and Drinkwater have a league title. Many other pretty average players (by top level standards) have quite decent trophy cabinets. Jonathan Greening got a CL medal and I think a league winner medal in 99, David May won plenty with us. There's all kinds of bang average players at Arsenal that have won FA cups. Vladimir Smicer has a lovely trophy cabinet I'm sure.

Trophy hauls can be almost as much to do with good fortune as with ability.

R77

A very impressive stat... though somewhat tempered by the fact that all except one of his goals were not in top flight games (he only ever played 3 games in the top league division scoring one goal and two international caps with no goals...
Essentially 99.6% of his goals were outside the top level and whilst his strike rate is impressive at that level I'm not quite sure it puts him at the Zidane Beckenbauer and cryuff levels as a player
Aye, fair points. He wouldn't be top 5 for sure, but he was the only 'great' manager who was a good player I could think of outside of those already mentioned. According to wiki, he has the 2nd highest ever gpg ratio of players in the British leagues that've scored 200+ goals. Funny reading about him b*ll*cking defenders in teams he played for too!

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
That's because he was a DM in an era where we weren't all glued to our smartphones. He was a good player, not exceptional like Zidane, but certainly not 'average'. A lesser Biscuits without the theatrics.

263 games for Barcelona and 47 games for Spain. I personally think that's better than average.

Anyway the answer to this thread is Cruyff for certain.
Didn't stop Rijkaard or Matthäus from becoming all time greats during roughly the same era.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
What about 2006 WC where he literally dragged France past Spain and Brazil into the final?

Zidane and Cruyff are joint leaders to me.
Even though he was definitely more consistently influential in the 2006 World Cup rather than the 1998 World Cup, I wouldn't say that he literally dragged France past Spain for example — Ribéry and Vieira were both exceptional in that match as well. Furthermore, for the tournament as a whole, the likes of Thuram and Makelélé (who returned from retirement at almost the same time to collectively propel France) were instrumental too.

That being said, while I do think that Zinédine Zidane is retroactively considered greater than he actually was...week-in and week-out, mostly because of hyperbolic narratives, the purpose of the post wasn't to microscopically dissect his performances and accomplishments in an effort to denigrate him (as he was clearly a fabulous leader and player at his pomp), but to shine light on the abstract qualities that put Cruyff on a tier of his own...
  • No singe player is as synonymous with a distinct aesthetic and ideology as Cruyff with totaalvoetbal, perhaps not even Pelé with joga bonito as he has to share some of the limelight with Garrincha and Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, particularly in the modern sense of the term.
  • First player to win 3 consecutive Ballon D'Or titles while guiding Ajax to three consecutive European Cup titles...not just scoring a plethora of goals, but being the on-field director of the team. Mind you, Ajax were mostly a regional and national power before him, and he took them to continental super club status (like Beckenbauer and Müller with Bayern in a similar-ish timeframe).
  • You could argue that no one was as influential on the future of a club as Cruyff with Ajax — that includes his coach Michels (himself one of the All-Time greats), and all the illustrious players they produced in the years to come (from van Basten to Bergkamp to Davids to Frenkie) with Cruyff acting as a sort of overarching spiritual/ideological cornerstone. And that influence spread far and wide in Dutch football as a whole:
Gullit played alongside Cruyff as a youngster at Feyenoord and hailed him as a mentor in his fledgling career. He told Telesport: "I'm shocked. I thought he was doing better. Netherlands have lost a face in the world. He's the one who put our football on the map.

"He was decisive for my career."
Gullit: Cruyff put Dutch football on the map.
  • You could also argue that he is one of the, if not the, most influential figures in the fortunes of Barcelona — revitalized them as a player to win La Liga after a period of 13 years, overhauled what's now a sacred academy in La Masia, coached them to their ever first European Cup title and 4 La Liga titles (double of what they had won in the last 20 years), and provided a lot of principles for Guardiola and Enrique (who went on to win 3 Champions League titles with the club)...
"The ball was converted into the only protagonist and even fitness work was done with a football," recalls Mundo Deportivo journalist Oriol Domenech, who spent six years in Barça’s youth teams in the Cruyff era.
"There were more opportunities for the little players like me. When I was at La Masia, Guardiola was very thin and it was Cruyff who said that he always had to play because eventually he would grow. Without him, the Xavis, Iniestas and Thiagos of this world wouldn’t exist."
How Cruyff reinvented football at Barca.
  • Perfected the now commonplace False 9 role...carrying the torch from in-the-hole forwards like Di Stéfano in the years gone by, and reached a peak that wasn't matched till the emergence of a certain Messi (influenced by one of Cruyff's most ardent disciples).
  • Shoot, he even influenced the progression of goalkeeping while at Barcelona!

...and so forth.

So while the likes of Zidane and Beckenbauer were exemplary in their own right and boast fantastic resumés, I just feel that Cruyff's pioneering spirit and influence on different institutions and the network of the game itself via limitless Cruyffisms (like the derivation of Guardiola's juego de posición for example) is so overwhelming that the best his competitors can vie for is the 2nd spot.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
I am very curious to see if Messi and Ronaldo will ever try to become managers..

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Mario Zagallo

Twice WC winner as a player, once as a manager in 1970 and a finalist again 28 years later.

Managed almost all the Brazilian greats of the 20th century from Pele to Ronaldo

Chipper

Adulterer.
Whilst I agree with you about Guardiola, I very much don't agree with this comment. Djimi Traoré won a CL. Dannys Simpson and Drinkwater have a league title. Many other pretty average players (by top level standards) have quite decent trophy cabinets. Jonathan Greening got a CL medal and I think a league winner medal in 99, David May won plenty with us. There's all kinds of bang average players at Arsenal that have won FA cups. Vladimir Smicer has a lovely trophy cabinet I'm sure.

Trophy hauls can be almost as much to do with good fortune as with ability.
I get what you're saying but then none of the players you mentioned come anywhere his club trophy haul. None of them won as much international recognition either (Smicer aside). None of them played as many games in total for the clubs in question. With someone like David May and the CL he was just a minor part of the squad whereas Guardiola was a regular starter.

Nicky Butt has a much more similar profile than those names in terms of his United appearances, trophy haul and international record but then I'd say he was above average too. I think Guardiola was better than him.

Last edited:

ThinkTank@Cafe

Guardiola was a very good player, his role and level was similar to Carrick, in my opinion.

TwoSheds

I get what you're saying but then none of the players you mentioned come anywhere his club trophy haul. None of them won as much international recognition either (Smicer aside). None of them played as many games in total for the clubs in question. With someone like David May and the CL he was just a minor part of the squad whereas Guardiola was a regular starter.

Nicky Butt has a much more similar profile than those names in terms of his United appearances, trophy haul and international record but then I'd say he was above average too. I think Guardiola was better than him.
Smicer has 383 career appearances including 184 at Liverpool. CL, UEFA Cup, Super Cup, 2 French League Cups, French League title, 3 Czech league titles, probably some other stuff too, I can't be arsed looking it up. He has an excellent trophy haul. He was also pretty fecking average.

Heskey would be another whose trophy cabinet must be pretty nice looking and I know he wasn't as shit as we all like to think, but he's hardly a great player.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Guardiola was a very good player, his role and level was similar to Carrick, in my opinion.
Yep, Carrick is an appropriate comparison. Definitely much more than an average player, and a cerebral leader/organizer to boot. The likes of Laudrup, Stoichkov and Romário naturally got the bulk of the plaudits as attackers, but Guardiola was a vital figure in Barcelona's so-called Dream Team and had a knack for maintaining a consistently high tempo with intricate and fairly adventurous passing moves from a quarterback-type position (a quality that Pirlo possessed for example, albeit to a higher level in the deep-lying playmaker function). Also positionally/tactically intelligent and adaptive enough to maintain the collective defensive structure ahead of Koeman, which was easier said than done as it required refined acumen. Young Xavi, Iniesta, Fàbregas wouldn't be waxing lyrical about a run-of-the-mill midfielder in years to come while progressing through the academy, would they?

“As a youngster, the player I looked up to was Bernd Schuster,” he told Marca. “When I got put in central midfield, I used to watch him play and I'd be transfixed.

“Later I began to model myself on Pep: the way he'd play one-touch passes, how he'd accelerate, the way he'd slow things down, how he shaped himself to receive the ball, looking around in every direction first.”
Xavi Names His Two Football Idols.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Smicer has 383 career appearances including 184 at Liverpool. CL, UEFA Cup, Super Cup, 2 French League Cups, French League title, 3 Czech league titles, probably some other stuff too, I can't be arsed looking it up. He has an excellent trophy haul. He was also pretty fecking average.

Heskey would be another whose trophy cabinet must be pretty nice looking and I know he wasn't as shit as we all like to think, but he's hardly a great player.
You're comparing somebody making 184 appearances with Liverpool and winning 0 league and titles with someone making 384 for Barcelona and winning 6 and believe these are statistically similar, or that someone might look at that and think they are?

Maybe I have too much faith in others but I doubt it.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
That is ridiculous.
It's not i've already seen people overating him as being this amazing player because of his managerial success. He was a good player when in prime but he was nowhere near as good as some seem to think not to mention he was already passed it in the late 90s and then there's the drugs...

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Cruyff is the only answer here.

Zidane, Zagallo, and Pep can fight it out for a very distant second place.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
It's not i've already seen people overating him as being this amazing player because of his managerial success. He was a good player when in prime but he was nowhere near as good as some seem to think not to mention he was already passed it in the late 90s and then there's the drugs...
Was in a special team and crucial to how it functioned. Kind of like Busquets, not the greatest of players, but so important to the system which won a lot.

Of course, no where near being even the top midfielders of the era. But that would leave the thread with only Zidane, Cruyff and Kaiser which would be boring.

TwoSheds

You're comparing somebody making 184 appearances with Liverpool and winning 0 league and titles with someone making 384 for Barcelona and winning 6 and believe these are statistically similar, or that someone might look at that and think they are?

Maybe I have too much faith in others but I doubt it.
No I'm not picking random stats out of 2 different players' different careers. I'm also not suggesting he's better than Guardiola as I've already stated. I'm saying appearances and trophies, of which Vladimir Smicer has many, are not a very good way of judging how good a player is. Unless it's Gerrard's league title haul in which case it's definitely true.

SinNombre

Guardiola was a very good player but Pep the player has also gotten overrated in the past decade.

Back in 2009-10, I was (very limited) involved in a project to rank the 100 greatest "defensive" midfielders of all time. Pep finished 32nd.

That's an excellent player for you. 10 years later, he would probably fall a few spots but someone earlier gave a Carrick analogy and it is very apt. Carrick was a fantastic player and I would swap everyone bar Bruno from our current team for a 24 year old Carrick in an instant.

That said, he played in an era with some fantastic players in his position. Keane is the same age as Pep. And Pep shared the start of his career with the likes of Matthaus, Rijkaard, Robson.

Was he ever considered as good as Keane, Redondo, Davids, Effenberg, (Vieira) ? He wasn't. Somehow in the past decade, lots of newer fans have starting thinking he was a better player than Keane or Redondo who were both phenomenal.

In fact, one of the worst things that has happened with time is how a lot of social media now thinks Keane was a "bruiser".

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Are you old enough to have watched much of Zidane? The guy was unbelievable, effortless talent and a great leader.
A club career ending with 3 League titles and 1 Champs League for a player like him is a bit or a shit return so I can kinda understand why some of the younger folk don't have him up there.

He's top 10 for me but I'm old.

TwoSheds

A club career ending with 3 League titles and 1 Champs League for a player like him is a bit or a shit return so I can kinda understand why some of the younger folk don't have him up there.

He's top 10 for me but I'm old.
Fair point. He only moved to Real though at what, 28/29? And tbf they were a joke of a club in terms of what they won with the talent they had in that era.

Champagne Football

Kenny Dalglish worth a mention. He was a fairly handy manager before he became a dinosaur. 10 league titles and 3 Euro cups as a player, 4 league title as a manager

Rinus Mitchels just won 2 league titles as a player with Ajax.......As a manager won 4 league titles, 1 Euro Cup with Ajax, - 1 league title with Barcelona and won the Eupean Cup with Holland in 1988.. In terms of being a pioneer who changed the game he'd had to be up there as a great player and manager who revolutionaized the game.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
No I'm not picking random stats out of 2 different players' different careers. I'm also not suggesting he's better than Guardiola as I've already stated. I'm saying appearances and trophies, of which Vladimir Smicer has many, are not a very good way of judging how good a player is. Unless it's Gerrard's league title haul in which case it's definitely true.
I like the last part and I know we're both aware enough to righlty rate Guardiola above Smicer. Can't say I ever watched a huge number of Guardiola's performances in his playing days, probably around 10, but that was enough to see he was above average as a footballer.

I also get what you're saying about not judging players on trophy hauls and I would agree but only to an extent. Once it goes past a certain point I think you actually can. Winning multiple league titles in one of the biggest leagues in the world for one of the most famous clubs in the world while being an important part of said team which can be gleamed from looking at appearance stats while having longevity at such a club absolutely does say something about your ability to me. Throw in international appearances for a good standard of team (although Spain were somewhat disappointing in those days) and the cup competitions won and it gets to a point where I think you can begin to make assumptions like those.

I wouldn't call league wins as random trophies to list, winning many of them show that you were playing for top dog in said country, and if that's a country with a strong league then that says more about the standard of team you were good enough to get into than if you just won many cups or the odd cup. It doesn't mean that anyone who didn't win loads of leagues isn't any good but to win lots of them while playing a lot of the time for a big club in a big league pretty much does.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a safe to make such an assumption 100% of the time but you're not going to be wrong often at all. Remember, we only need 'above average' for it to be true.

Last edited:

SinNombre

The other argument on this thread is about Zidane. Zidane is undoubtedly an all time great but he is another who has gotten slightly overrated in the past decade.

He is clearly not amongst the all time top 10, and likely not in the top 15 either (but would likely be in the 15-25 group).

Clear all-time top 10
Pele
Maradona
Messi
Cristiano
di Stefano
Cruijff
Beckenbauer
Puskas

Clearly rank above Zidane as a player
fat Ronaldo
Maldini
Baresi
Muller
Best

So where do I put Zidane at?
In the same tier as Charlton, Zico, Platini, Eusebio, Marco van Basten, Gullit, Stanley Matthews, Bobby Moore, Ronaldinho