Gaming God of War (2018)

Ainu

Yikes on the price
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Don't know what you guys are seeing in pounds, but I'm seeing €49,99. Considering this is a new port from a dedicated PS4 game, that's just fine. Other games from 2018 on Steam right now: Far Cry 5, AC Odyssey and Battlefield V at €59,99, Forza Horizon 4 at 69.99.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Don't know what you guys are seeing in pounds, but I'm seeing €49,99. Considering this is a new port from a dedicated PS4 game, that's just fine. Other games from 2018 on Steam right now: Far Cry 5, AC Odyssey and Battlefield V at €59,99, Forza Horizon 4 at 69.99.
£40 over here. I'm only mentioning as it's been in the PS Classics range for a while. It's only £16 on PSN.

Far Cry 5 is £50
AssCreed is £54
Battlefield V is £35

So yeah seems a lot comparatively but whatever they want to charge I guess.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That’s great news for PC players! Good for them. Brilliant game.

Hamnat

Never had a PlayStation always wanted to play these. Hope the rest come out as well not too far off

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Hmmm, 3rd time giving it a go and further than I have been before.

The grumpy old Man Vs curious kid has got old real feckin quick. Sick of the same "no boy" type shit over and over.

Wasn't this praised for its combat too? Nothing special at all, infarct I'd say it's a bit shite as you end up swinging the wrong direction half the time.

It's a good game, but I don't get the wankfests over it.

Obviously it might get better and I expect the dynamic between kratos and aterus to change by the end of the game. So I'll leave final judgement till then.

Seems like a typical exclusive, decent enough, but overhyped to the bollocks for doing nothing particularly special.

I've just freed the mush from the tree btw, so not a clue how far through I am.

It's all very samey actually, different caves and stuff, but kill monster things, open chests, do a little puzzle and repeat so far. Maybe I needed to play it when it originally came out.

Even venturing out where all the water is to the different docks all just seems very similar to each other.

I do seem to prefer open world games such as witcher 3 and RDR2 though.

Ibi Dreams

The grumpy old Man Vs curious kid has got old real feckin quick. Sick of the same "no boy" type shit over and over.

Wasn't this praised for its combat too? Nothing special at all, infarct I'd say it's a bit shite as you end up swinging the wrong direction half the time.

Obviously it might get better and I expect the dynamic between kratos and aterus to change by the end of the game. So I'll leave final judgement till then.

Seems like a typical exclusive, decent enough, but overhyped to the bollocks for doing nothing particularly special.

It's all very samey actually, different caves and stuff, but kill monster things, open chests, do a little puzzle and repeat so far. Maybe I needed to play it when it originally came out.

Even venturing out where all the water is to the different docks all just seems very similar to each other.

Started playing this a few weeks ago on PS Now and I completely agree with you. It's a decent game but I cannot understand the rave reviews it was getting at the time, it was 9s and 10s across the board when for me there's quite a lot they didn't get right at all

I also played God of War 3 Remastered and honestly think it's the better game. Obviously older and of its time, but I just had more fun playing it than I did playing this

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
for me there's quite a lot they didn't get right at all
Like what out of interest? I'd still give it 10/10 by the way. I'm no fanboy but thought it was genuinely an incredible game. Perfect balance between arcade fun, story, graphical excellence, rpg etc. Just a quality experience from start to finish.

Moby

Dick
It's all very samey actually
That was my biggest gripe with it. The whole game is a masterclass in reskinning.

As for the combat it was great in terms of responsiveness and visually stunning but obviously like with a lot of other things in this game it was very limited. There is very little replay value because of that and apart from trying to beat the Valks on NG+ which is more of a chore than fun there wasnt any reason to give this a second playthrough. Pretty much a cinematic experience more than a great game overall for me.

Moby

Dick
Like what out of interest? I'd still give it 10/10 by the way. I'm no fanboy but thought it was genuinely an incredible game. Perfect balance between arcade fun, story, graphical excellence, rpg etc. Just a quality experience from start to finish.
For sure it was a great and a must have experience overall and for people who prefer story, graphics, cinematics aspect more then it's great for them. I'd never give it anywhere near a perfect score simply because of how short it falls in combat. This is one of the most popular action based characters in gaming history and you absolutely need to have far far more in terms of enemies, areas, bosses, weapons and builds. You cannot limit a game like this to one single build with two weapons and a handful of enemies with barely any bosses.

But again I have always hoped that this was meant to be a preview for starting the Norse era in the franchise and we will get a much more complete version in the upcoming one which is fine with me.

Bosws87

Nothing worse when people analyse a game and try and dumb it down to something

I can do this with nearly every game considered awesome.

Halo just shooting people in space
Red dead redemption just GTA in western times.
GTA just a load of fetch quests.

GOW is a masterpiece just doesn't seem to be to your liking but it doesn't takeaway just how good it is.

Plenty of games i can't get into which i have to accept are considered excellent.

Volumiza

For sure it was a great and a must have experience overall and for people who prefer story, graphics, cinematics aspect more then it's great for them. I'd never give it anywhere near a perfect score simply because of how short it falls in combat.
Did it really fall that short though? Ok, it didn't have as many weapons as previous offerings but I honestly didn't feel that to be a negative and enjoyed unlocking new moves and powers for the two weapons he had, and viewed Atreus as another extension of armoury. And I genuinely thought it handled the combat itself very well, nothing ever felt lucky or circumstantial and some of the fights felt really cool and epic.
This is one of the most popular action based characters in gaming history and you absolutely need to have far far more in terms of enemies, areas, bosses, weapons and builds. You cannot limit a game like this to one single build with two weapons and a handful of enemies with barely any bosses.
Again, I really didn't feel it skimped on enemies either, the enemies it had were well realised and all needed to be dealt with individually enough for me. The only major difference for me was the introduction of a deeper and more properly realised story, other than that I felt it was a true reimagining of one of my favourite game series. It's interesting reading other peoples views on this one. Some games I can understand the varying opinions but I really felt GOW, especially with the PS5 update, to be a genuine triple A exclusive.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I'm replaying it at the moment and I still think it's fantastic. Combat, graphics, world, story, puzzles, exploration, it pretty much nails them all.

But I can see why it frustrates people. it's slow and there's a lot of trickery at hand to get the single camera stuff working. A lot of slow moving around and climbing and such which can get a bit irritating at times. Anyone looking for a fast moving, fluid game will probably not enjoy it.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'm replaying it at the moment and I still think it's fantastic. Combat, graphics, world, story, puzzles, exploration, it pretty much nails them all.

But I can see why it frustrates people. it's slow and there's a lot of trickery at hand to get the single camera stuff working. A lot of slow moving around and climbing and such which can get a bit irritating at times. Anyone looking for a fast moving, fluid game will probably not enjoy it.
Yeah I've noticed there are a shit ton of cheeky loading screens :lol: at one point I think I'd done the same manoeuvre 4 or 5 times in as many minutes. Can't remember what it was now, opening a door I think, where you Pry it open, 2 people walk through, then you goto the left hand side and launch it fully open.

Better than a proper loading screen I suppose, but it's obvious what's happening.

Ibi Dreams

Mostly small things that added up to me just not really having fun playing it. Constant loot everywhere with little or no explanation of its use. Horrible menu that was weirdly difficult and obtuse to navigate making the skill tree and equipment a chore to manage. Camera zoomed in on you too close. Combat was good at times but began to feel samey within just a few hours. Good graphics, but often fairly dull environments.

Like I said, it's a decent game, but a number of things just took me out of the experience

Moby

Dick
Did it really fall that short though? Ok, it didn't have as many weapons as previous offerings but I honestly didn't feel that to be a negative and enjoyed unlocking new moves and powers for the two weapons he had, and viewed Atreus as another extension of armoury. And I genuinely thought it handled the combat itself very well, nothing ever felt lucky or circumstantial and some of the fights felt really cool and epic.
There are two things here:

Did I enjoy the combat and all the movesets and everything? Yeah for sure, it was enjoyable and looked stunning as well. Also was really slick in terms of responsiveness and things like the axe throw looked cool.

But does it stand up against other games out there in terms of having multiple builds? Not at all. There is literally one entire build in the game. And that gets worse because outside the Valks you barely have any half decent combat areas. Once you've done around 25% of the game you just end up repeating the exact same stuff till the very end, the only thing changes is volume of enemies that swarm you at once, which is very underwhelming. But like I said, they created a fantastic foundation for combat which can be expanded in coming titles, and I appreciate that putting all of it together which is also technically excellent takes time, so I am absolutely happy in putting this down as just that, and something that will make more sense once we play the next titles. In isolation though, like I said there's no replayability in this.

Moby

Dick
Ringing those fecking bells again is enough to grind my gears. :lol: And I don't even wanna think about doing the Nilfheim grind that I had to do for the platinum. Although obviously you won't do the platinum stuff in a second playthrough which leaves roughly 10-20 hours of content. Yeah, should be more.

Bosws87

Did I enjoy the combat and all the movesets and everything? Yeah for sure, it was enjoyable and looked stunning as well. Also was really slick in terms of responsiveness and things like the axe throw looked cool.

But does it stand up against other games out there in terms of having multiple builds? Not at all. There is literally one entire build in the game. And that gets worse because outside the Valks you barely have any half decent combat areas. Once you've done around 25% of the game you just end up repeating the exact same stuff till the very end, the only thing changes is volume of enemies that swarm you at once, which is very underwhelming. But like I said, they created a fantastic foundation for combat which can be expanded in coming titles, and I appreciate that putting all of it together which is also technically excellent takes time, so I am absolutely happy in putting this down as just that, and something that will make more sense once we play the next titles. In isolation though, like I said there's no replayability in this.
Do any of these games you champion with multiple builds have as good storytelling, animations and visuals as this.

I think you are asking far too much of what clearly is a narrative driven game with very very small RPG elements.

Sounds like you want an Action RPG (if you haven't already played Nier Automata, do yourself a favour and play through that)

Moby

Dick
Yeah I've noticed there are a shit ton of cheeky loading screens :lol: at one point I think I'd done the same manoeuvre 4 or 5 times in as many minutes. Can't remember what it was now, opening a door I think, where you Pry it open, 2 people walk through, then you goto the left hand side and launch it fully open.

Better than a proper loading screen I suppose, but it's obvious what's happening.
:lol:

That's how it should be done though. Much better than looking at fecking tips or something. The cinematic when switching realms was awesome and I didn't get tired of watching that.

Volumiza

I get some of your points even if I don't feel as strongly about them I guess. The reason I like it so much and rate it so highly is it does everything very well. All aspects of it are very well done and polished (even if it's not ultimately your cup of tea), the same reason I love UC4. If only all games were made this well.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'm on the fence with the builds thing, I find it sorts refreshing I don't have to make difficult choices and get a build right to complete a game. It's kinda like Horizon Zero Dawn in that respect. You'll probably max everything by the end anyway. Hate some games with skill trees which go 6 billion different ways (I'm looking at you Valhalla). I ended up just letting Valhalla do it's own shit.

Thinking of skill trees, Final fantasy X's sphere grid was the shit!

Moby

Dick
I think you are asking far too much of what clearly is a narrative driven game with very very small RPG elements.
Yeah, but it isn't asking for a lot. Fair enough if you wanna have one build which in this day and age for a game called 'God of War' is a bit meh, but there's no excuse for enemies and no bosses. And the thing is they do have more in store, it is obvious from the two locked realms and valk fights. It was obvious they dumbed down the combat in the main story for it to be more accessible to the casual audience and it worked, and they added the valks for those who wanted a kick. For me, I don't appreciate that approach. And I was replying to those saying it is perfectly balanced when it is very clearly skewed towards the narrative than providing satisfying combat and fights.

Moby

Dick
I get some of your points even if I don't feel as strongly about them I guess. The reason I like it so much and rate it so highly is it does everything very well. All aspects of it are very well done and polished (even if it's not ultimately your cup of tea), the same reason I love UC4. If only all games were made this well.
Totally agree with that, technically it is at a very high level and I 100% appreciate doing less perfectly than more but messed up. I hope they have used the 4 odd years to use that foundation and add loads more stuff. The next one is themed around Ragnorak so my expectation in having epic boss battles is higher than before. :)

Edit: and mandatory ones!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ringing those fecking bells again is enough to grind my gears. :lol: And I don't even wanna think about doing the Nilfheim grind that I had to do for the platinum. Although obviously you won't do the platinum stuff in a second playthrough which leaves roughly 10-20 hours of content. Yeah, should be more.
I never actually got round to doing the Valkyries and grinding for them on my first run as I moved on to another game so I'm replaying it on hard with a view to doing them this time!

Volumiza

I never actually got round to doing the Valkyries and grinding for them on my first run as I moved on to another game so I'm replaying it on hard with a view to doing them this time!
That Valkyrie queen I had to kill for the plat is probably one of the most painful things I've ever experienced. I was so exhausted by it that I didn't even celebrate when I beat her, literally just turned the PS5 off and thought 'thank feck for that'.

b82REZ

Yeah, but it isn't asking for a lot. Fair enough if you wanna have one build which in this day and age for a game called 'God of War' is a bit meh, but there's no excuse for enemies and no bosses. And the thing is they do have more in store, it is obvious from the two locked realms and valk fights. It was obvious they dumbed down the combat in the main story for it to be more accessible to the casual audience and it worked, and they added the valks for those who wanted a kick. For me, I don't appreciate that approach. And I was replying to those saying it is perfectly balanced when it is very clearly skewed towards the narrative than providing satisfying combat and fights.
It sounds more like your complaint is, it isn't Dark Souls.

For all the good the Souls games have brought to the gaming world its made a lot of players insufferable with their criticism of other games.

Moby

Dick
It sounds more like your complaint is, it isn't Dark Souls.

For all the good the Souls games have brought to the gaming world its made a lot of players insufferable with their criticism of other games.
It isn't just Dark Souls, I haven't even played them, I've only played Bloodborne which for me is easily better than God of War, but that is not the point because what is being asked isn't exclusive to Souls games, I am literally saying what they already have in the very same game can be done in the main story and not optional. On one hand you have the Baldr fight where the game is holding your hand the whole way, has a million checkpoints and it feels you were helping the AI to beat it, and on the other you have the Valks which have a certain degree of RNG, a significant moveset and allows you to actually get engaged in the fight.

I've already said, this isn't saying something they cannot do, this is saying something they did but in a very small introductory amount rather than having it central to the gameplay, which is why I keep saying this should end up as a starter to this era in the franchise and not the final finished version of the best they can produce and for that very reason, it shouldn't be compared or rated ahead of games which are fully completed.

Ainu

This is exactly why I'm hugely disappointed that Ragnarok is a cross-gen title. They did a phenomenal job with data streaming in God of War on the PS4 given the limitations, but the limits were still noticeable if you know where to look and it must've cost them an enormous amount of development resources. It wouldn't even be a concern on the PS5 but since it also needs to run on PS4, we're going to see the same fundamental game design again.

Volumiza

we're going to see the same fundamental game design again.
I think the brief bits of gameplay in the trailer confirms this. There's really nothing to suggest it will be any massive leap forward in any respect. As a huge fan of the last game this won't bother me too much, more of the same is fine with me. It will, however, not win any new fans.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I think the brief bits of gameplay in the trailer confirms this. There's really nothing to suggest it will be any massive leap forward in any respect. As a huge fan of the last game this won't bother me too much, more of the same is fine with me. It will, however, not win any new fans.
Yeah, they hit a winning formula with a lot of people tbh, so there isn't any need to change that, they don't exactly need new sales to make their money, just returnees to series will do.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Even though a few of us in here don't have it in our GOTY there is probably 80% that do.

Volumiza

Yeah, they hit a winning formula with a lot of people tbh, so there isn't any need to change that, they don't exactly need new sales to make their money, just returnees to series will do.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Even though a few of us in here don't have it in our GOTY there is probably 80% that do.
I think the biggest limiting factor is because as @Ainu says, they're keeping it cross gen. Obvious really because it wouldn't sell enough to be financially viable if they made it PS5 exclusive.

I am of the 80%, no massive GOW / Kratos fanboy but I just loved it :)

Siorac

Camera zoomed in on you too close.
That, plus the 'spawning enemies out of nowhere' really got on my nerves by the end. It felt claustrophobic and overwhelming at times because I felt like I had no control over the battlefield.

Moby

Dick
Horrible menu that was weirdly difficult and obtuse to navigate making the skill tree and equipment a chore to manage.
My controller joystick got the drift while playing this game and I cannot describe the headache I went through while trying to select a slot in the skill tree. :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I find the people complaining of zoomed in camera weird, literally had zero issues with combat. In fact its still the smoothest most responsive combat in a AAA game I've every played. The zoomed in camera and indicators added a franticness to it and the game would have been stupidly easy without it. Its not exactly difficult outside of give me god of war mode on ng+ as it is. And even then its only really the early game and Valks that are hard.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Barely died, got the new weapon (blades) so I have options, now everything seems to have levelled up to shit and is slamming me constantly. Weird system. Even enemies with green bars seem much harder. Like the game wants you to die a few times so you rotate weapons and arrow types.

Bosws87

Barely died, got the new weapon (blades) so I have options, now everything seems to have levelled up to shit and is slamming me constantly. Weird system. Even enemies with green bars seem much harder. Like the game wants you to die a few times so you rotate weapons and arrow types.
Have you played the previous trilogy before this, just out of curiosity as getting the "new weapon" if you have followed it closely its one of the best moments in the entire game.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Have you played the previous trilogy before this, just out of curiosity as getting the "new weapon" if you have followed it closely its one of the best moments in the entire game.
Nah not had full playthroughs of the older ones, know the blades aren't a "new" weapon as such, they were his main weapon before I think.

Just not sure about this step up in difficulty all of a sudden. More weapons and options should actually make things easier, instead it's done the opposite. Bumped into 2 wolf fellas around the edge of the water area and they were annihilating me, took me about 10 goes :lol: think I ended up with lightning arrows and the blades while using every skill possible.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Nah not had full playthroughs of the older ones, know the blades aren't a "new" weapon as such, they were his main weapon before I think.

Just not sure about this step up in difficulty all of a sudden. More weapons and options should actually make things easier, instead it's done the opposite. Bumped into 2 wolf fellas around the edge of the water area and they were annihilating me, took me about 10 goes :lol: think I ended up with lightning arrows and the blades while using every skill possible.
I didn't find a massive difficulty jump, more about swapping to the right weapon for the right enemy and when there are too many around, using the blades as much as possible. Sometimes you can wander into an area you are underlevelled for but besides that it shouldn't be too difficult.