Gaming God of War: Ragnarok (PS4/PS5)

Ainu

They could have easily charged for this and I wouldn't have felt shortchanged at all.

Makes me want to go replay Hades once I'm done.
Sony have actually given away some decent DLCs for free, like Returnal's Tower of Sisyphus, Ghost of Tsushima: Legends and now this. All of those are pretty substantial additions that they could've easily charged for, and considering how they overcharge elsewhere you would expect them to.

AaronRedDevil

I can't get past this fight in chapter 3 of Valhalla. Keep getting my ass handed to me. Blocking is not doing anything to help

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Tyr. I get barely enough health to fight him. His attacks just go straight through me no matter if i parry or dodge
Can’t remember which Tyr this was. Does he have double swords? I found him quite easy each time tbh. Make sure to obviously improve your health/vitality/strength at the stones with previous runs. His one unblockable attack is quite a small area for the most part and you can just roll out of the way. Only try to block/parry his yellow attacks, take advantage of your relic uses and runics.

You’re in a safe zone before the fight too so use the tablet there to spend those collectible things (forget the name) to boost your health back up.

AaronRedDevil

Can’t remember which Tyr this was. Does he have double swords? I found him quite easy each time tbh. Make sure to obviously improve your health/vitality/strength at the stones with previous runs. His one unblockable attack is quite a small area for the most part and you can just roll out of the way. Only try to block/parry his yellow attacks, take advantage of your relic uses and runics.

You’re in a safe zone before the fight too so use the tablet there to spend those collectible things (forget the name) to boost your health back up.
Chapter benevolence. It's the one with the single samurai sword looking weapon. Dunno why I'm having such a difficult time with it:lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just started the base game. Been so hyped for this given I absolutely love the first but held off. First 1-1.5 hours do not disappoint - what a start. Phew.

kps88

Anyone finished it? How many times do you have to beat the final boss before the story ends? Any story incentives to keep playing once it's over? I don't die on my runs anymore so wondering if I should increase the difficulty to stop it from ending too soon. No spoilers obviously.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Just started the base game. Been so hyped for this given I absolutely love the first but held off. First 1-1.5 hours do not disappoint - what a start. Phew.
From my memory dude, it just gets better and better. So impressive on so many fronts.

I’ve not started Valhalla yet, I actually started the OG GOW streamed from PS+ and plan to play through the OG 1.2 and 3 before moving back onto the recent ones.

The OG hasn’t aged too well it has to be said.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
From my memory dude, it just gets better and better. So impressive on so many fronts.

I’ve not started Valhalla yet, I actually started the OG GOW streamed from PS+ and plan to play through the OG 1.2 and 3 before moving back onto the recent ones.

I played through 1 and 2 the other month and thought they were great. So much fun. Still need to do 3.

Completed Valhalla and got all trophies but still can’t put it down. So much fun.

Volumiza

I played through 1 and 2 the other month and thought they were great. So much fun. Still need to do 3.

Completed Valhalla and got all trophies but still can’t put it down. So much fun.
Yeah, the series itself has been one of my long standing favourites.

When i started playing 1 again I thought it was PS2 due to the visuals. Was a bit surprised to see it was PS3. How time moves on dude. I struggled initially with the fixed, close camera but I’m about used to it again now.

Trying to be strong and delay Valhalla till I’ve done the rest.

Good to read all the positive reviews in here for Valhalla

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah, the series itself has been one of my long standing favourites.

When i started playing 1 again I thought it was PS2 due to the visuals. Was a bit surprised to see it was PS3. How time moves on dude. I struggled initially with the fixed, close camera but I’m about used to it again now.

Trying to be strong and delay Valhalla till I’ve done the rest.

Good to read all the positive reviews in here for Valhalla
Really? It felt like it was earlier, I think I had a hacked PS1/PS2 during bootdisk and network adapter era and I used to play everything, I don't remember buying it for PS3

Volumiza

Really? It felt like it was earlier, I think I had a hacked PS1/PS2 during bootdisk and network adapter era and I used to play everything, I don't remember buying it for PS3
A quick google tells me we were right, it was ps2. It says ps3 on ps+.

maybe not aged as badly as I thought considering.

Volumiza

So they still hold then? Maybe I should finish them...
2 and 3 hold very well, they had the HD makeovers. GOW1 looks a bit ropey but the gameplay and story are still good fun.

I’m trying to encourage a mate to do the same, he’s just bought the two recent games but never played the OG’s so he won’t have any point of reference for Kratos. What SMS did with him in the reboot has been fantastic.

Kratos is up there with the very best game characters.

I know we’re all tired of remakes and reboots but I’d be so up for SMS putting the first 3 games into the new engine. It would be spectacular.

I did the same with Uncharted at the end of 2022, one last playthrough for old times sake.

amolbhatia50k

What?! It’s aged really well

amolbhatia50k

Gameplay wise yeah, I think the visuals look dated now even if they were brill at the time.
I mean every game’s visuals get dated eventually. The game in general holds up because its writing, narrative, visual design and gameplay are strong.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
A quick google tells me we were right, it was ps2. It says ps3 on ps+.

maybe not aged as badly as I thought considering.
On the PS Store there is hardly anything that says "PS2". During the PS3 eta; there were "PS1 Classics" from the start of the PS Store, but PS2 games they sold were packaged as PS3 games (probably to avoid the confusion that "Some PS3s cant play PS2 games"). Then during PS4 the brought out "PS2 for PS4" or whatever it was but there was only a few games on that. I remember Red Faction 2 being a "PS2 for PS4" game, but it doesn't seemed to be branded as such now

tl;dr there's hardly any reference to PS2 on the store.

Volumiza

On the PS Store there is hardly anything that says "PS2". During the PS3 eta; there were "PS1 Classics" from the start of the PS Store, but PS2 games they sold were packaged as PS3 games (probably to avoid the confusion that "Some PS3s cant play PS2 games"). Then during PS4 the brought out "PS2 for PS4" or whatever it was but there was only a few games on that. I remember Red Faction 2 being a "PS2 for PS4" game, but it doesn't seemed to be branded as such now

tl;dr there's hardly any reference to PS2 on the store.
Makes sense.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So I playing god of war and Ragnarok back to back. Clocked god of war and ive got upto the level Freya comes back and spares kratos.

The level before with Atreus and the girl is probably the only chapter across both games I've not enjoyed thus far. The feck was that. Feel like it's the equivalent to Mary Jane's missions in Spiderman 2, or the deaf girl, but I didn't actually mind those missions at all.

Great games nonetheless.

Volumiza

So I playing god of war and Ragnarok back to back. Clocked god of war and ive got upto the level Freya comes back and spares kratos.

The level before with Atreus and the girl is probably the only chapter across both games I've not enjoyed thus far. The feck was that. Feel like it's the equivalent to Mary Jane's missions in Spiderman 2, or the deaf girl, but I didn't actually mind those missions at all.

Great games nonetheless.
I remember it not being the best level but I didn’t really dislike it as narrative wise it was necessary to give Atreus his own chapters away from his dad. I personally found the pacing and story almost perfect.

Ainu

Working my way through Valhalla at the moment, my reaction is the same as everyone else: how the hell is this free? :lol:

It's easy to be a little dismissive before you play it, like "how good could a free update really be", but it feels like an essential addition for those who are even a little bit invested in the series. I haven't finished it yet but it's safe to say the stuff it adds to the narrative is significant.

amolbhatia50k

Just finished the base game. It is Goddamn brilliant. I adore the 2018 game, it was one of the best of its generation but I held back from considering it as among the greatest games ever made, on account of it feeling somewhat like a chunk of the full piece. Ragnarok completed that piece and honestly as much as 2018 was this got me by the balls expeience, this improves on it in almost every aspect. Too early to say but this will at the very least make my top 10 now.

The amount of awe inspiring moments is just bewildering. But more than that, it’s one of those rare games that do both gameplay and narrative to such an elite level. I reckon it’s my favourite combat system in all of gaming. The mix of weightyness, complexity, difficulty and cinematic flair, makes it hit a sweet spot like no other game imo.

I’ve done all the side missions but not 100 per cented everything and also not done the post game content, as I’m leaving that for something to look forward to in the 2nd playthrough. Also id recommend everyone play at Give Me No Mercy difficulty - it just feels like how the game should be played. Dropping one down and GMGoW seems too easy and difficult respectively.

pacifictheme

I enjoyed it but I felt that it was held back by the bots where you play as the son.

amolbhatia50k

I enjoyed it but I felt that it was held back by the bots where you play as the son.
I was skeptical of Atreus’ sections feeling phoned in but I felt the quality held up both dialogue and combat wise. It was certainly no Guarm of RDR2, IMO anyway. I didn’t mind Abbey sections in TLOU2 either as although you no longer play as the “hero”, it was well done.

pacifictheme

I was skeptical of Atreus’ sections feeling phoned in but I felt the quality held up both dialogue and combat wise. It was certainly no Guarm of RDR2, IMO anyway. I didn’t mind Abbey sections in TLOU2 either as although you no longer play as the “hero”, it was well done.
No one is a hero in tlou2.

amolbhatia50k

No one is a hero in tlou2.
That’s why I put it in double inverted commas. People still like like Joel and Ellie has loveable anti heroes so any veering away from them doesn’t sit right for many. With Atreus I thought his sections were good just as Abby’s were albeit less prominent. He controlled well and story wise none of those parts felt tacked on to me.

afrocentricity

That’s why I put it in double inverted commas. People still like like Joel and Ellie has loveable anti heroes so any veering away from them doesn’t sit right for many. With Atreus I thought his sections were good just as Abby’s were albeit less prominent. He controlled well and story wise none of those parts felt tacked on to me.
I actually liked Abby, better character to play as too she does not feck around :nervous:

Currently in the middle of a perma death playthrough...

amolbhatia50k

I actually liked Abby, better character to play as too she does not feck around :nervous:

Currently in the middle of a perma death playthrough...
Abby was a strong character. Her sections were very good. I want to return to TLOU one last time for the new PS5 update but per death honestly sounds frightening. I can’t imagine starting from the beginning given it’s a 35 hour game.

afrocentricity

Abby was a strong character. Her sections were very good. I want to return to TLOU one last time for the new PS5 update but per death honestly sounds frightening. I can’t imagine starting from the beginning given it’s a 35 hour game.
I do have checkpoints though, I've died 11 times so far (the last by not making a jump which is fecking embarrassing)... having to restart after 10+ lost hours (most I've lost is a few hours or so and even that hurts) would be soul destroying.

I also have some accessibility aids on to streamline it a bit - auto pickup nearby objects and gyro aim etc

afrocentricity

Back on topic. I'm looking to get back to this to play Valhalla and then mop up trophies

amolbhatia50k

Back on topic. I'm looking to get back to this to play Valhalla and then mop up trophies
I’ve purposely not touched 10-15 per cent of exploration in each area (including berserkers), post game content, some shields and of course Valhalla just because I want to make the 2nd run more enjoyable.

I’m planning to replay GoW from a completionist mindset this time and then do my second run with GoWR. I usually don’t do much completionist gaming as I can’t be bothered but will make an exception for this - the Musphelheim trials were so much fun becuase the gameplay in general is fantastic. The ring out thing was a blast and made great use of the move set.