Gaming God of War: Ragnarok (PS4/PS5)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just platinumed. Pretty much right on the dot 50 hours after I went and defeated the stone trolls for their armor, and then went back to your Midgard house for a little memento that you find. Was using Surtrs armor set and just went to max out strength and defence, made Gna and the Berserker king not too bad. Don't even have any enemies to try the berserker king relic on though..

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Finished it. Such an incredible game. The whole final segment is unbelievable, so much going on on screen at once. It’s a technical marvel. I’ll do the rest of the side quests and berserkers and such over the next while.

A few minor grievances

Atreus is nowhere near as fun to control as Kratos and I usually just wanted his segments to end so I could get back to the good stuff. I did like his bit with drunk Thor, though.

The spear is crap compared to the blades and axe. I pretty much only used it when I absolutely had to

Some of those sigil puzzles were annoying as hell. Not even hard to figure out, they just didn’t work as they should sometimes and were stupidly precise.

Some sections really dragged and felt a bit overly long in order to prolong the game length. But that’s a problem with most modern games.

overall I’d probably still rate the first higher because it reinvented the whole series so well and the story was a bit tighter, but this was still fantastic and built upon it so well. Love how it kept surprising me along the way, too.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Finished it at last. Stunning.

Still got sh*t to do for the plat but I'm going to come back to it as I've got a few games lined up for the Christmas break.

Please Santa Monica Studios, remake the first 3 with this engine, pretty please!

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Finished it at last. Stunning.

Still got sh*t to do for the plat but I'm going to come back to it as I've got a few games lined up for the Christmas break.

Please Santa Monica Studios, remake the first 3 with this engine, pretty please!
a good remaster of the trilogy and Ascension would be good enough for me. A nice coat of paint

Games still play really well

Although there are some dodgy moments in the games they might now need to cut which might not go down well with some folks

Bebe

a good remaster of the trilogy and Ascension would be good enough for me. A nice coat of paint

Games still play really well

Although there are some dodgy moments in the games they might now need to cut which might not go down well with some folks
The Aphrodite scene is cringe, but I don't think they'd need to get rid of it.

They'll have their studio torched if they remaster the second game and don't change the bit where that girl was forced to hold up a wheel and gets crushed as a result.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Finished it yesterday, superb! Better than the previous for me...

Suv666

Around 4 hours in and a bit disappointed.
Its entertaining but not as good as the previous one so far. Hope it picks up.

CallyRed

I've started playing the first one, thought I should before investing in Ragnarok.
holy shit it's good.

Massive Spanner

Gna is insane. An even harder boss than Malenia, and I’m playing on medium :lol:

Maybe cause I generally found most of the berserkers, even the king, not too bad, apart from the three at once, that was a bastard, she just seems like an enormous step up.

Stanzin Lama

I am really struggling with this game. The combat is superb but can't get past the fact that I really really dislike Atreus' character.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I am really struggling with this game. The combat is superb but can't get past the fact that I really really dislike Atreus' character.
Yep same here, I've not bothered going back to it after a certain segment, just took me right out of the zone. Bored the life out of me. Was enjoying it before that too.

NM

Yep same here, I've not bothered going back to it after a certain segment, just took me right out of the zone. Bored the life out of me. Was enjoying it before that too.
There isn't a segment like that again. I didn't like it either.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I beat Gna first time somehow. Beserker King was a struggle though.

Massive Spanner

I beat Gna first time somehow. Beserker King was a struggle though.
I changed up my build for her after getting pummelled and focused a lot more on vitality and str/def and had her beaten pretty quickly then. Before I was relying on parries and realm shifts but she's too quick and unpredictable for them. Worked a treat on the Berserker King though, had him dead quick enough.
No sh*t! I only have her and a couple of berserkers left, she is rock hard!
Yeah try a different build if you're really struggling hard, as I said above, changing to a VIT focused build helped me a lot, some good amulet attachments like the bifrost one too, and the shield that gets rid of bifrost by double tapping was a big help.

Massive Spanner

You are supposed to dislike him for a time
Depends which one they're playing. You're never supposed to "dislike" him but in the first game there are sections where he's a little twerp.

In Ragnorak though you're always supposed to like him, so it might be tough for people who don't :lol:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I put the post game stuff on easy with mid-boss checkpoints and still found them not too easy at all

Stanzin Lama

Depends which one they're playing. You're never supposed to "dislike" him but in the first game there are sections where he's a little twerp.

In Ragnorak though you're always supposed to like him, so it might be tough for people who don't :lol:
Didn't mind disliking him in the first game, it was kind of given that the narrative was a father-son thing. Here it seems the story kind of revolves around his adventure with Kratos' support?

Massive Spanner

Didn't mind disliking him in the first game, it was kind of given that the narrative was a father-son thing. Here it seems the story kind of revolves around his adventure with Kratos' support?
Will use spoiler tags just in case, but not really a spoiler

you still control Kratos for 80% of the game, Atreus for 20%, and he's not as fun to control as Kratos, but it's not bad. He is in the game a lot, though, but I wouldn't say it's any more his story than it is Kratos.

And actually, unlike the first, there are some large segments of the game where Atreus isn't in it at all.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Accessibility feature in settings. You can get a checkpoint on the boss fights if you get half his health down.
So, if I die in a Beserker fight and have the Beserker's health at say 30%, when I come back to the fight I start with the Beserker being at a reduced health. Is this how this works?

AaronRedDevil

So, if I die in a Beserker fight and have the Beserker's health at say 30%, when I come back to the fight I start with the Beserker being at a reduced health. Is this how this works?
Yes. I did that too. Berserker was a bitch to fight. Spammy ass attacks. Had the resurrection stone aswel just in case.

NM

I tihnk it was clear that he was supposed to be a "punk" in parts in the first game and in the second there are parts where if you are a young adult you relate with him, and if you are older (like most of us seem to be here) we want to shoot him

Massive Spanner

I tihnk it was clear that he was supposed to be a "punk" in parts in the first game and in the second there are parts where if you are a young adult you relate with him, and if you are older (like most of us seem to be here) we want to shoot him
I'm older and I didn't mind him. He's just a confused teenager! I did find his solo segments a bit of a drag, though, mainly because Kratos is a better character and more fun to play.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I suppose I know who the main characters are, what Ragnarok actually means, how it happens, the role of Loki. I spent some time on it after the first GOW game which I really enjoyed.
I probably appreciated Santa Monica's take on the myth because I had read up on Norse Mythology recently before the game came out and could see how they have included various aspects and players in the story as a whole.

Without getting into spoilers, will say this much the story here pays off and even the dull portion in between has a interesting connection with the lore.