Gaming God of War: Ragnarok (PS4/PS5)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Yeah all the berserker or realm fights I start are against multiple enemies, it's too much! I'm trying the Muspelheim trials now instead, got passed one level but failed the one after. One of them was defeat 20 or so enemies but none of them take damage so you have to back them into the lava with your attacks which is ridiculous.
Muspelheim wasn't too bad. I did it before finishing the main story.

If they won't take damage there's a reason for it. Either there's one of those little goblin muppets making that noise you need to take out first or they're protected and need their shield breaking down. If they have a white bar where their health should be you need to use lightning, if it's blue use the blades and if it's red the axe.

Unless you mean the trial that specifically asks you to dump them in lava? Heavy axe attack (hold the r2 button down to impale them) and aim them towards the lava works well on that. Or just use arrows to stun them and combo them over.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Just amazing. Dunno how close I am to the end now but ... amazing. Like the last game, it just draws you in. Any mild criticisms I have just really don't matter a this point.

CloneMC16

Yeah all the berserker or realm fights I start are against multiple enemies, it's too much! I'm trying the Muspelheim trials now instead, got passed one level but failed the one after. One of them was defeat 20 or so enemies but none of them take damage so you have to back them into the lava with your attacks which is ridiculous.
You can leave the Berzerkers and Trials to be the last things you complete. I'm pretty sure you can get to level 7 before doing any of them. That trial that forces you to knock enemies into the lava is pretty annoying.

The Berzerker fights with 2/3 of them and the one that spawns adds are pretty tough. I recommend doing these first:

Fraekni, the Zealous - The Lake of Nine, Midgard
Hardrefill, The Callous - Nidavellir, Svartalfheim
Hjalti, The Stolid - The Forbidden Sands, Alfheim
Beigadr, The Feared - Alberich Island, Svartalfheim
Haklangr, The Bearded - The Sinkholes, Vanaheim

They're all solo fights and pretty good at teaching you how to fight against the harder one's.

The other solo one is Skjothendi, The Unerring - Mist Fields, Niflheim. She is far more difficult, because she uses Bifröst. She could potentially one shot you if you take too much Bifröst on and get hit.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Thanks Clone. I really love just booting up the game and spending time in the world. So I'm jumping from one area to another looking for challenges that I can do or gaining XP. I platinumed the last game so would be nice to do the same here.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's probably taken over from Returnal as my "most fun to play PS5 game"

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
the flawless Muspelheim challenge is wrecking my head.
Managed to do that in three attempts. Just kept my distance and spammed Atreus arrows/axe throwing. The creature at the end nearly got me though but managed to do a last second dodge.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
As great as this game is, it’s a really annoying trait of this, and many other modern games, to lock stuff behind powers that you don’t have yet that force you to come back later in the game to replay the whole section. A cheap trick to prolong game time.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
As great as this game is, it’s a really annoying trait of this, and many other modern games, to lock stuff behind powers that you don’t have yet that force you to come back later in the game to replay the whole section. A cheap trick to prolong game time.
Yep, not as bad as the thing of playing as a side character to take you out of it. CBA going back to it at all now

AaronRedDevil

A fitting game for my 40th Platinum. Took 44 hours. That final berserker was a bitch. Spamming some shit moves over and over again. Left Gna the Valkyrie as the final trophy. Really liked all the remaining little things that happen after you finish the game. Seeing where all the characters go. Kinda wish there was a special scene after 100% it. Now there's a void that can't be filled. Dammit! I need a new game plus.

Shark

@NotShark
I absolutely loved the game but felt some of the American dialogue was a bit overboard and misplaced at times compared to 2018. It's like playing TW3 and every other character is using slang like "hey dude".

Last edited:

Volumiza

I absolutely loved the game but felt some of the American dialogue was a bit overboard and misplaced at times compared to 2018. It's like playing TW3 and every other character is using slang like "hey dude".
This was / is one of my mild criticisms. All the effort in world building, lore, the love and attention the graphics, animation and combat got and they couldn't find voice actors without american accents? Such a small thing on the face of it but would have made a big difference for me.

Such a silly criticism too, it's a 100% 10/10 game in my view. Hand holding and crap accents can't drag it down to below a 10.

Shark

@NotShark
This was / is one of my mild criticisms. All the effort in world building, lore, the love and attention the graphics, animation and combat got and they couldn't find voice actors without american accents? Such a small thing on the face of it but would have made a big difference for me.

Such a silly criticism too, it's a 100% 10/10 game in my view. Hand holding and crap accents can't drag it down to below a 10.
Definitely, it's a very mild criticism, as I said the game is fantastic. It just diluted the experience slightly, you actually put it perfectly there. So much attention into the lore, cultural aspects and everything else and then you have a Dwarf with an annoyingly thick Southern American accent :lol:

It's easily a 10/10 for me and sits alongside Elden Ring and A Plague Tale Requiem as my top three for the year.

Last edited:

Volumiza

Definitely, it's a very mild criticism, as I said the game is fantastic. It just diluted the experience slightly, you actually put it perfectly there. So much attention into the lore, cultural aspects and everything else and then you have a Dwarf with an annoyingly thick Southern American accent :lol:

It's easily a 9/10 for me and sits alongside Elden Ring and A Plague Take Requiem as my top three for the year.
I really need to start A Plague tale (the first one) again. I did my usual, buy it when it was on offer, download it to have a look out of curiosity and then put it away and not do owt else. It was good, looked good from what I remember.

b82REZ

The same as Chernobyl mini series. That's show's so good I can put up with all the Ukranian and Russian characters walking round saying, "Alright Guv'nor. What the bloody 'ells going on darn road t'power plant?"

RedDevilRoshi

A fitting game for my 40th Platinum. Took 44 hours. That final berserker was a bitch. Spamming some shit moves over and over again. Left Gna the Valkyrie as the final trophy. Really liked all the remaining little things that happen after you finish the game. Seeing where all the characters go. Kinda wish there was a special scene after 100% it. Now there's a void that can't be filled. Dammit! I need a new game plus.
I’ve nearly finished the story and tempted to go for the platinum as well now. Not really much of a trophy hunter but would always make the extra effort to go for the platinum if the game is worth it and this certainly has been the case.

This has been an absolute fantastic game from start to finish. Santa Monica Studio have certainly hit the jackpot.

Shark

@NotShark
I really need to start A Plague tale (the first one) again. I did my usual, buy it when it was on offer, download it to have a look out of curiosity and then put it away and not do owt else. It was good, looked good from what I remember.
Oh do give it another try. Second one is certainly superior though and takes an even bigger jump visually which is insane because the first one looks absolutely gorgeous too.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Finally got the platinum. Brilliant game. Look forward to doing it again when NG+ mode is released.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
The Crater section was great, should have really been part of the main story I think.

Trying to beat Bodvar the Feirce and Starolfr the troublesome. Really good boss battle, but tough!

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
So I levelled up by doing the trials and back tracking. Upgraded armour and now finally able to beat some of the tougher enemies.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Finally beat him, platinum done. Made a couple of silly errors and it really annoyed me i had to use my berserker stone right at the end, but I’m gonna fight the cnut again at some point.

b82REZ

Reached the last mission.

Going to try and finish it this evening.

I've loved it. Not done much of the side content and generally I don't bother, especially when I finish the main story; I might make an exception with this one though.

My GOTY, narrowly beating Elden Ring and a few tiers above Tunic.

saik

Finally beat him, platinum done. Made a couple of silly errors and it really annoyed me i had to use my berserker stone right at the end, but I’m gonna fight the cnut again at some point.

That was very good to watch. I didn't know you could throw your axe at those ice and fire balls he throws. I was always trying to dodge them. :lol:

Also, any reason why you never used the spear? Wouldn't those runics on the spear come handy at some point during the fight?

Edit : Spoilered the last line, just in case.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
That was very good to watch. I didn't know you could throw your axe at those ice and fire balls he throws. I was always trying to dodge them. :lol:

Also, any reason why you never used the spear? Wouldn't those runics on the spear come handy at some point during the fight?

Edit : Spoilered the last line, just in case.
I’ve not used the spear much tbf, I just prefer to switch between the axe and blades!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just beat it. Amazing. Better than the last one even, which was already probably my favourite game. Mostly there but gonna 100% it, don't think I've ever bothered doing that in a game before.

NM

Reached the last mission.

Going to try and finish it this evening.

I've loved it. Not done much of the side content and generally I don't bother, especially when I finish the main story; I might make an exception with this one though.

My GOTY, narrowly beating Elden Ring and a few tiers above Tunic.
Do Vanaheim, especially the crater. 5+hours of content minimum. Took me 10.

NM

Doing the Crater after completing the game, makes me wonder if the dialogue would have been different if done with Boy.
Probably would have. I did it post game too.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
took me 55 hours to get the platinum. I did turn difficulty down for the post game stuff

overall a great game with a few flaws. 9/10