g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Godzilla (2019)

Kearnkoff69

I liked the 2014 American reboot. I know it came in for criticism for focusing too much on the humans, but in terms of resetting the series for the audience, I didn't have a lot of issues with how it was a slow build to the full reveal of Godzilla's powers and destructive capabilities. I also dug the overtly pro-environmentalist message of the film, although many American conservatives hated it for that.

This new one could go either way. The first Pacific Rim showed that audiences will eat up a film showing giants beating the crap out of each other, and Godzilla/Mothra/Ghidora are cooler than the big battlebots from that film. That being said, it still needs to be executed well to draw the B-movie loving crowd. Putting a mostly unknown director in the driver's seat is worrying, but the trailer at least doesn't kill my curiosity about this movie (it doesn't necessarily hype me up, either).

Slevs

likes to play with penises
My favourite enemy of Godzilla, King Ghidorah, is set to feature in this one :drool:
Wait, GodZilla is good? I always thought it was a disaster movie with a giant dinosaur destroying the city etc.

hungrywing

Wait, GodZilla is good? I always thought it was a disaster movie with a giant dinosaur destroying the city etc.
It started out like that and then as the character got more popular, they made him more 'relatable'. He has a kid, etc.

There's one 'good' monster, but not going to spoil it.

meamth

It's coming this week. I can't be more excited..been following this film build up for a very long time.

The soundtrack is pretty amazing too.

T_Model101

Quite looking forward to this tbh
The latest trailer gives a lot away in terms of numbers of monsters etc
But it looks like it will be all out city levelling mayhem

Art Vandelay

I'm cautiously optimistic that this time we're getting a Godzilla film and not a film about some random American soldier that happens to have Godzilla in the background. The trailers look really good.

According local cinema here the run time is 2 hours and 20 minutes. Which seems lengthy, hopefully there's one whole hell of a lot of destruction.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I'm cautiously optimistic that this time we're getting a Godzilla film and not a film about some random American soldier that happens to have Godzilla in the background. The trailers look really good.

According local cinema here the run time is 2 hours and 20 minutes. Which seems lengthy, hopefully there's one whole hell of a lot of destruction.
Sure looks that way given the addition of Ghidorah and the rest.

SirAF

Ageist
Ah yes, I’m really looking forward to this as well! Godzilla vs Kong in 2020 too :drool:

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Why the feck can't you?

The whole reason you watch a movie titled Godzilla: King of the Monsters is the monsters. If there's loads of monster scrapping and little to no human nonsense I'll be delighted.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Just watched it. If you like Godzilla this is a 10/10. For the layman looking for entertainment, 7.5/10.

Great movie. Loved it. Enjoy it a lot more than I did Endgame.

starman

6 out of 10. So many cliché and plot armour to protect led characters. Should have all got nuked... multiple times
Also gets marked down due to Millie Bobby Brown, she's one of the worst child actors I have seen but seems to have this massive stardom around her due to strangers things, something she barley talks in.

So yeah, 5 out 10

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Beginning to hate people who go on about plot armour. It's a fecking Godzilla movie.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Beginning to hate people who go on about plot armour. It's a fecking Godzilla movie.
I heard it for the first time a few weeks ago and hated it immediately. I really hope it isn't a thing.

starman

Oh dear, looks like I have found and insulted the people that probably loved and kept the Michael Bay Transformer franchise alive for so long...

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It's a thing.
Second worst news of today.
Oh dear, looks like I have found and insulted the people that probably loved and kept the Michael Bay Transformer franchise alive for so long...
:lol: I've actually never seen a Godzilla film, just happened into here and was triggered.

starman

Second worst news of today.

:lol: I've actually never seen a Godzilla film, just happened into here and was triggered.
The term has become more popular recently due to how Game of Thrones turned out.
But yeah, if you like Michael Bay's Transformers, you will probably like this

evil_geko

Complaining about the plot in Godzilla movie. :lol:

The movie was brilliant, 9/10, if you don't know what Godzilla movie should contain, just skip the movie all together, talking about plot armor in Godzilla film, bloody hell. :houllier:

starman

:lol::rolleyes::houllier:

Oh the irony when people dont even understand the plot armor is referring to the humans.

Bloody hell indeed. As mentioned, the circle jerking is why we had to endure Michael Bay's Transformers for so long. Clowns

meamth

Michael Bay's Transformers is awful because of the repetitive Micheal Bay tropes.

This one is different, Godzilla fans loving it, Transformers fans hated it so much. Comparing it to Transformers franchise is just insulting to Godzilla fans.

Oldyella

Just watched it. If you like Godzilla this is a 10/10. For the layman looking for entertainment, 7.5/10.

Great movie. Loved it. Enjoy it a lot more than I did Endgame.
Great. I am a big Godzilla fan so that's good news.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Wtf is "plot armour"?
Character shields (also known as plot armor or plot shield) are plot devices in films and television shows that prevent important characters from dying or being seriously injured at dramatically inconvenient moments. It often denotes a situation in which it strains credibility to believe that the character would survive.

"The art is nice, but the concept is obviously pretty stupid. Hell, just the fact that they're using the most broken character with plot armor as thick as fangirls' raging hardons for him, from Naruto, against someone who was shown to only be a mediocre bender at the beginning of the series (the form of Zuko used here) should tell you something."
--Anonymous, from 4chan's /co/ board, describing a Deviantart comic depicting Naruto's Sasuke fighting Avatar's Zuko.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Wtf is "plot armour"?
It's when people who have too high of an opinion, of the worth of their opinions, watch some sort of story that doesn't go the way they want it too and believe that their critique of using the words "plot armour" showcases how intelligent they are. By coincidence it does. These people are also well known for spending to much time playing with themselves. There's a term for them.

starman

:lol::houllier:

Gambit & his self righteousness. Don't expect anything less, after all, he loved Games of Thrones season 8 and everyone was apparently an idiot for not liking it...
Crap writing exists and thrives dues to the likes of him.
Its truly bizarre people on here can't seem to distinguish plot protections around humans and just keep saying ...but but it's a Godzilla movie :lol:
The Meg is a better movie than this.

Pretty much agree with everything here

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s all subjective. I still loved it. Fully expected others to hate it. I don’t expect anyone’s opinion to be swayed by arguments or reviews. Just like I’ve yet to convince Endgame fans that movie was shite.

meamth

:lol::houllier:

Gambit & his self righteousness. Don't expect anything less, after all, he loved Games of Thrones season 8 and everyone was apparently an idiot for not liking it...
Its truly bizarre people on here can't seem to distinguish plot protections around humans and just keep saying ...but but it's a Godzilla movie :lol:

To be fair C- is actually at 5 out of 10 range. Pretty much the legit score if you want to rate it as a story. I agree with Chris.

But as a Godzilla movie? Definitely not one of my top 3.

SirAF

Ageist

We can, but what's the point? It IS a Godzilla movie, it's not supposed to be a work of intellect that can be digested while sipping a Sherry - it's just pure apocalyptic entertainment.

Now, I haven't seen it yet but I quite liked the 2014 movie and I'm fairly certain I'm going to be satisfied with this one as well. I'll let you know on thursday.