g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Godzilla (2019)

RedDevilRoshi

That’s just over two hours of my life, I won’t get back.

Absolute brutal.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
RedCafe fighting with itself over this one? I'm intrigued... Caftards tend to hate everything. Even life...

NoLogo

Absolutely appallingly terrible film.
I'm in to minds over this movie. Effects and monster fights where pretty great. The plot holes where so big that the plot can easily be described as a giant gaping hole.

But I have to admit I can't shake being bothered about just how bad the writing in this movie was. Are there really so few talented writers in hollywood left who can actually write an engaging action movie plot?

evil_geko

Going for a second watch tomorrow probably. This was a feast for every Godzilla fan!

Art Vandelay

I just saw it. It was like watching two different films. If everything involving that really annoying family had been removed and replaced with the two scientists leading the way then it would have been a much better film. Everything with giant monsters was absolutely fantastic, but then dragged back to those three twats it completely fell apart. It feels like they were just there for American audiences to relate to, but if you relate to those non-entities I'd be worried.

Parma Dewol

I just saw it. It was like watching two different films. If everything involving that really annoying family had been removed and replaced with the two scientists leading the way then it would have been a much better film. Everything with giant monsters was absolutely fantastic, but then dragged back to those three twats it completely fell apart. It feels like they were just there for American audiences to relate to, but if you relate to those non-entities I'd be worried.
I had exactly the same thoughts! All the monster action was tremendous, it was such a shame that disjointed family kept butting in; I think we were supposed to relate to them, but by the end I was quietly hoping they'd get eaten. Couldn't agree with you more, the film needed more of the lead scientists, as I found the sub-plots and discovery of undersea worlds quite interesting. Overall I still enjoyed it, but the human element let the movie down. 3/5

evil_geko

So whats the consensus ? I have to convince my wife that we should buy tickets for this...she's pitching for some comedy drama shite :mad:
If you are a Godzilla fan this is a must watch, no Godzilla films had any decent human plot ever and they shouldn't, you watch them for the Kaiju action, and it is brilliant in this. If you want some coherent human drama plot, you wont find it here.

Art Vandelay

I had exactly the same thoughts! All the monster action was tremendous, it was such a shame that disjointed family kept butting in; I think we were supposed to relate to them, but by the end I was quietly hoping they'd get eaten. Couldn't agree with you more, the film needed more of the lead scientists, as I found the sub-plots and discovery of undersea worlds quite interesting. Overall I still enjoyed it, but the human element let the movie down. 3/5
Oh yeah! Fascinating undersea world and we get no real info on it or any time exploring it. Yet we get all these scenes with generic dude telling everyone what to do or annoying daughter fleeing to their old house in the middle of a giant fecking monster battle. It was so ham fisted and it was ruining the film, then it would cut back to big monsters fighting and it would be great again.

There's an absolutely brilliant film in there, but it does not involve Kyle Chandler's character at all. It could still have worked with Vera Farminga's character and her daughter, at least her motivations were interesting. Then generic dude shows up and it's just him being right every time he speaks while telling everyone else what to do. He's a wildlife photographer and he seems to know all about giant monsters and their behaviour. It's the writing of his character that makes it all so inconsistent too, one minute they are gods the next they are big animals just to make him seem smarter.

I mean it was 2 hours and 20 minutes long and way too much of that was wasted on a human plot that was unnecessary, unwanted and a detriment to the rest of the film. It could have been a crisp 1 hour 40 minutes with better writing and Ken Watanabe, Zhang Ziyi, Charles Dance or Vera Farminga in the "lead". We all know Godzilla was the real lead.

Monster battles 10/10. Human stuff not involving Kyle Chandler 6/10. Human stuff involving Kyle Chandler 1/10.

SirAF

Ageist
Quite happy with that, pretty much what you’d expect. Can’t wait for Kong vs Godzilla :drool:

Cloud7

This movie was fecking amazing. Those monster scenes were just :drool:

I enjoyed that more than any other movie I watched this year.

Cloud7

If you are a Godzilla fan this is a must watch, no Godzilla films had any decent human plot ever and they shouldn't, you watch them for the Kaiju action, and it is brilliant in this. If you want some coherent human drama plot, you wont find it here.
Exactly so. I don’t see what’s the point in complaining about the human plot points in this? They obviously can’t make a movie that’s literally just monster fighting scenes, but at the same time you know you’re going there for the monster scenes. Enjoy it for what it is, don’t go expecting it to be oscar level writing and acting.

Same thing that always annoys me when people criticize the transformers movies. Like were you going to the cinema expecting Shawshank Redemption?

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Exactly so. I don’t see what’s the point in complaining about the human plot points in this? They obviously can’t make a movie that’s literally just monster fighting scenes, but at the same time you know you’re going there for the monster scenes. Enjoy it for what it is, don’t go expecting it to be oscar level writing and acting.

Same thing that always annoys me when people criticize the transformers movies. Like were you going to the cinema expecting Shawshank Redemption?
:lol::lol:

Now I have to watch it

Fingeredmouse

No, but I'd be expecting something with the barest of effort put into writing a plot or dialogue.

The best example I can think of to illustrate the plummeting standards in many of the bigger blockbusters of late is the comparison between Jurassic Park and Jurassic World. I was not expecting to see The Shawshank Redemption in either case (as an aside, I think Jurassic Park a better and cleverer movie than the Shawshank Redemption) and both movies are a vehicle for cool dinosaurs. The older movie is a well written, intelligent and engaging film and the dinosaurs are deployed effectively and cleverly in conjunction with the plot and human characters and Jurassic World is an explosion of dinosaurs slapped over the most flimsy of plots simply designed to hang together a series of set pieces. It doesn't need to be Oscar worthy but I'd expect a film to have at least as much quality in scripting as, say, a Nescafe advert.

The new Godzilla flick falls into the Jurassic World camp firmly and a little effort would greatly improve the film without undermining the fact it is a vehicle to see stupid monsters fighting each other (a perfectly admirable aim). However, compared to the Transformers movies, Godzilla is like Citizen Kane. At least the Kaiju fight scenes are very well done (it's just everything else that is dreadful) but in the Transformers movies even the action sequences are incomprehensible drivel...and there are many other issues. I hate the Transformers movies so much that I'd struggle to meaningful rate them on a scale that truly reveals my contempt: perhaps if you take all of history and consider 1 AD to be a "0" movie, the worst imaginable, and the present day the best ever, then I'd put Godzilla:King of the Monsters about the time of Constantine (so not good...perhaps a 1 to 2 out of 10) and Transformers somewhere around the formation of the Universe (inconceivably dreadful...a minus several billion out of 10).

In short, just because it's a CGI heavy fantasy action movie doesn't mean you can just churn out any old half arsed shit when it comes to any other aspect of the film. That doesn't mean that anyone goes into see a Godzilla movie expecting a profound examination of the human condition (although I'd argue that, at least to an extent, that is where the original movies stem from) but I think we should expect some level of basic competence in terms of script writing.

Art Vandelay

Well the film was over 2 hours long and the vast majority of it was wasted on a subplot involving humans that was entirely unnecessary and completely shit. It caused the film to drag on longer than was necessary and as great as the fight scenes were every single one of them was interrupted by that crap subplot. Why wouldn't people complain about the thing that took up most of the film? No one was expecting an Oscar worthy film, just less time wasted on something that wasn't what they were paying to see.

The Transformers films get criticized because they are shit. They aren't even about the Transformers and the action scenes you can't even see what's happening.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
They should have called it Godjeea: A Love Story. It was so cringe watching the sexual fascination Ken Watanabe had for Godjeea.

When he found out Godjeea is alive, he got a boner. He even died touching Godjeea with one hand and having a nuclear wank with the other.

GBBQ

Yep its definitely a split personality of a movie. Its a bad sign when huge fighting CGI monsters present a more believable story than the human family.

The battle scenes were big stupid fun. The human scenes lacked a lot of common sense but feck it!

Some similarities to Batman V Superman (Opening scene flash back to destruction of previous movie to explain character motivations, human agitator trying to get the antagonists to fight for his benefit, religious symbolism)

SirAF

Ageist
They should have called it Godjeea: A Love Story. It was so cringe watching the sexual fascination Ken Watanabe had for Godjeea.

When he found out Godjeea is alive, he got a boner. He even died touching Godjeea with one hand and having a nuclear wank with the other.
Gojira*

Oldyella

Watched it now, and its a lot of fun, but it needed a little less human plot and another 10 minutes or so of Kaiju action. What action we got was great but needed more.

Oh and I love the nod to his original theme. Nice touch.

Sylar

Watched it now, and its a lot of fun, but it needed a little less human plot and another 10 minutes or so of Kaiju action. What action we got was great but needed more.

Oh and I love the nod to his original theme. Nice touch.
This.
At least we got to see Godzilla in this Godzilla movie.
The last one was just one big giant tease of almost showing him until they do at the end.

The human stuff could have been cut down I agree with some of the other posts. I reckon I needed to see this in the cinema although I have a nice TV at home.

As a Godzilla movie it was fun. We need more giant creatures (titans) battling and less human drama crap that nobody pays to see.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
This film belongs in the same bucket as Independence Day 2 and the newest Jurassic World. It was just a bunch of stuff happening that was so ridiculous the comedy moments and supposed serious moments blended together into a meaningless, boring blurb.

Why is it so hard to have a 2 hour+ film tell a semi coherent story?