Going full defensive to keep the lead

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good points. I'm optimistic of a good finish too, and honestly for some of these players it's really good experience, and for others it's the time to step up, foreal.
Definitely. Having slept on it I have to say I'm still pissed off with the manner of it, but these things happen I suppose. It does seem we stumble whenever there's pressure on to take third or fourth, but equally there are tangible factors we can point to last night as to why it was difficult for us to hang on. I hope Shaw's is only a minor tweak as we could be fecked for left back options for the next game.

crossy1686

career ending
Fergie also did it. Hell, Pep once took off his only centre forward after 70 minutes to see a game out against us. Managers do it because most of the time it works.
Yeah but Solskjaer isn’t allowed to do it because he doesn’t know what he’s doing apparently.

crossy1686

career ending
I am not sure if people were watching a different game. Our players looked too tired. Bruno was making mistakes and Southampton were relentless in their pressure. Trying to shore up the defense seemed like a decent thing to do. To call it full on defensive or Jose style is just overreacting.

You take decisions as per the game. That's what even SAF used to do. We never went into mad attack all the time every game for full 90 mins.
Yep, him and Pogba came off because they were tired and giving the ball away needlessly which was inviting Southampton on to us.
Ole tried to sure things up in midfield by retaining possession better, issue was that the players we have on the bench aren’t great when pressed.
We got fecked by a fluky corner while down to 10 men, you can name anyone of three players who should have dealt with it, it is what it is. Next game please

hmchan

Don't see it as a problem. Of course the best thing to do is to extend the lead and widen the margin, everyone knows that. But it is easier said than done and it's not always possible to do so. There's nothing wrong trying to defend the lead, it's just that our defending isn't good enough. It's alright for Mourinho to park the bus, and it's alright for Ole to do the same.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Not really. Tonight's game was nothing like the previous few where we were playing poorer teams who basically gave up as soon as they went behind.

We were under pressure almost the entire game and our "midfield" set up clearly wasn't working from the very first minute.

Matic, Pogba and Fernandes have imposed themselves on previous games until the Villa one. Tonight one of them was at centreback and the other was often further forward than our front three, whie Pogba was fighting three players on his own.

The set up was very obviously wrong and we didn't change it at any point. We were quite lucky to end up a goal up in the first place as we were second best in the first half. Second half we had a few chances on the break but it was all quite desperate. The chances were down to Rashford and Martial creating things all of their own accord rather than being given anything resembling decent service or us having any platform in the game.

The Fred/Pogba change was just plain dumb. We needed more control on the game and instead we did the opposite. If we didn't have the players to do anything about it fair enough, but we did. I'd expect Ole to use his players effectively. Not have midfielders sitting on the bench and playing in defence/up front, while there is a big gaping hole in our midfield and Pogba is trying to plug it on his own. It's not really rocket science to be honest which is why it's so annyoing. Use players to their strengths and manage the game based on what is happening in it, not on what happened in the game 2 weeks ago against a completely different opponent.
We had more possession when Pogba & Bruno were on the pitch. They needed to be off due to fatigue, we had chances to finish the game before they were off. We could have finish it off and rest them comfortably.

Remember this is the same team that beat Pep, Lampard & Mourinho this season, this was never gonna be the total control or the same as our previous matches. You are only highlighting the last 20-25 minutes of the game not the entire game & clearly you got no idea how good & the way how they played.

georgipep

That is on Ole. We cannot rest our players every 2/3 games because they are unfit. I think Ole has been a reason for this.

By not giving our players 90 mins in the games, they are used to playing 60 mins.
There is a fine line between building up stamina and risking injury. Imagine our level of play if one of the key starters (which it seems is all 11 of them) gets injured

georgipep

Regardless of what we think of Lindelof for the long term, why do fans blame him for every goal conceded? yes, we need a quick CB but those were not the reasons we conceded.

AWB has been very poor last couple games. I do not buy this players need a rest. The players have been getting a rest. Bruno, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Matic, AWB have all come off in games after 60/70 mins. We have had 4 days to rest in our last 2 games.

We were leggy against Villa as well. I know Matic has been playing really well but we do need legs, we are too static in the middle building up.
AWB needs work on the training field on heading and composure when in possession. He is usually doing better in the latter but the former has always been a problem for him. Most times he actively avoids headers and doesn't even challenge for the ball. I know he might be focusing on his strengths but a headed ball into a throw in is better than a sliding tackle that might: a) lead to a foul, b) disposes the opponent, c) go for a throw in

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I said to the missus last night when Bruno was subbed off that it is a sub where the means justify the ends. Get the three points and nobody cares; concede and it will be on the manager.

I don't think you will ever see Bruno subbed off again with the game in the balance. If he's not the captain, he certainly plays like it. I do think that was a mistake. A second mistake was not getting further fresh legs with the fifth sub in the third set of subs. Ighalo would have been a big help to hold the ball up.

el3mel

Don't see it as a problem. Of course the best thing to do is to extend the lead and widen the margin, everyone knows that. But it is easier said than done and it's not always possible to do so. There's nothing wrong trying to defend the lead, it's just that our defending isn't good enough. It's alright for Mourinho to park the bus, and it's alright for Ole to do the same.
There's no problem going defensive but we did it in a stupid way. We subbed off our 2 playmakers and ended the game with Scott-Fred-Matic midfield. It meant that if we conceded it's basically game over. Even if the goal came early, we would have had to go and attack with such midfield and no playmakers at all. It was all or burst and it backfired on us.

Fernandes should have stayed regardless of his form and us going defensive or not. Would have given Saints something to worry about even if they scored.

hmchan

Arsenal prove it today. When you defend good enough you can see out the lead and hit them on the counter.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Arsenal prove it today. When you defend good enough you can see out the lead and hit them on the counter.
I’m sorry to keep pissing on your parade but this isn’t true. Arsenals game plan was to sit deep today and nick something. Quite a difference from having a 2-1 lead at home with better players, bigger squad depth and completely forfeiting possession.

Think of United Barca 2008 semi. We were clearly playing counter attacking football and had a game plan. Arsenals is somewhat similar. There are plenty of examples of the top of my head. Inter vs Barca comes to mind as well. Totally different to sitting back on a goal lead for the last 30 minutes.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I’m sorry to keep pissing on your parade but this isn’t true. Arsenals game plan was to sit deep today and nick something. Quite a difference from having a 2-1 lead at home with better players, bigger squad depth and completely forfeiting possession.

Think of United Barca 2008 semi. We were clearly playing counter attacking football and had a game plan. Arsenals is somewhat similar. There are plenty of examples of the top of my head. Inter vs Barca comes to mind as well. Totally different to sitting back on a goal lead for the last 30 minutes.
Doesnt disprove the point that if you are setup well and can defend well you can defend a lead and offer a counter threat.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
City have had multiple chances and missed them all. Riding on luck doesn't prove it to be a better way of playing.

Paxi

Doesnt disprove the point that if you are setup well and can defend well you can defend a lead and offer a counter threat.
No it exactly proves that if you set up well you’ve a decent chance of winning. But if you end up shitting your pants half way into the second half and invite pressure — you’ll get punished.

edcunited1878

Arsenal sat back from the start and played 343. City also played right into their hands and were not clinical at all. City also don't have players to target with any of their aerial crosses.

The comparison of how Arsenal defended with 6, 7, 8 players throughout the game isn't comparable with United against Southampton who had to fashion their last gasp chance against 10 men and proper targets from a corner at the very last minute of injury time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No it exactly proves that if you set up well you’ve a decent chance of winning. But if you end up shitting your pants half way into the second half and invite pressure — you’ll get punished.
It doesn't prove the latter. You can change tact in a game and shut-up shop if you setup to do it correctly.
However if you are not setup or able to defend well then yes inviting pressure can be fatal.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Nonsense. We had lot of chances in the last 30 minutes against Southampton to finish the game off, Rashford & Martial could easily made it to 3-1. Your memory was only referring to the last 10 minutes before injury time plus the injury time when we had 10 men.

Jim Reaper

Hate this mentality. We have shown that attack is the best form of defense. Well... possession. Those last ten minutes, holding on to a win would be much easier if we sat patiently passing the ball around in the other teams half. Now tired legs etc, you risk losing possession and getting hit on the break so I have no problem refreshing and strengthening to defend against counter attacks but sitting deep and parking the bus has never worked well for us.

Paxi

It doesn't prove the latter. You can change tact in a game and shut-up shop if you setup to do it correctly.
However if you are not setup or able to defend well then yes inviting pressure can be fatal.
I’ll reply to this tomorrow mate. I’m way too incapacitated right now.

Paxi

Nonsense. We had lot of chances in the last 30 minutes against Southampton to finish the game off, Rashford & Martial could easily made it to 3-1. Your memory was only referring to the last 10 minutes before injury time plus the injury time when we had 10 men.
I’ll reply to this tomorrow mate. I’m way too incapacitated right now.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Wonder how Arsenal fans respond to this tactic seeing as they've all taken so much joy in apparently always playing the game the 'right' way and being beautiful to watch. Now they're seeing actually being able to defend well is important and it's not all about scoring beautiful goals v Norwich.

Red00012

Similar when we went to the Emirates a few years back and DDG was superman right ??? :D

hmchan

City have had multiple chances and missed them all. Riding on luck doesn't prove it to be a better way of playing.
In the Palace game we continued to look for more goals after we took the lead, then there're de Gea's flying save on Milivojevic's free kick, Ayew's disallowed goal and McCarthy's long shot. Do you call that riding on luck? Thing is, you are always going to concede chances even if you try to dominate possession. Very few teams could actually retain the ball till full time without giving the ball away, certainly not us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In the Palace game we continued to look for more goals after we took the lead, then there're de Gea's flying save on Milivojevic's free kick, Ayew's disallowed goal and McCarthy's long shot. Do you call that riding on luck? Thing is, you are always going to concede chances even if you try to dominate possession. Very few teams could actually retain the ball till full time without giving the ball away, certainly not us.
Yes and that was what took the pressure off in the final 10-15 minutes.

We had numberous games under Mourinho where we went 1-0 up then sat back and invited pressure, only to concede.

Letting the opposition have the ball allows them to grow into the game and gain confidence. Keeping it away from them and maintaining pressure is a much safer way to defend.

Put it this way, what's more likely to score a goal - the ball closer to your goal or further away?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s something Jose did regularly. Ole doesn’t seem to do it as much. He did it for the last 15 against Southampton & it backfired, but it’s something we did far more under Mourinho & van Gaal.

Ive never liked it. Inviting pressure boosts the other team when it isn’t necessary.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Some absolute classic replies on here :lol:

Simple fact is to beat a press you let them have the ball, that's what we did against Southampton, you play a bit more direct and hot on the counter.
Would have worked against Soton too had Williams not been forced off, that forced the defense into a reshuffle which led to a disorganised corner last minute.
This is exactly what arsenal have done last two games, play direct and let the opposition have the ball, City and Liverpool both press high, so let them have the ball and keep defensive shape, hit the channels early with the release ball.

It's not 'parking the bus', it's called having a plan b, something that both Liverpool and City could do with, both their plan A's didn't work against arsenal and they couldn't change things to make a difference.

I haven't seen United go full defensive under Ole this season, and I doubt we will.

Lee565

I just don't see our defenders having the concentration or mentality for it like a Vidic, Rio, Ramos, Terry, kompany, Godin has/had.

hmchan

Yes and that was what took the pressure off in the final 10-15 minutes.

We had numberous games under Mourinho where we went 1-0 up then sat back and invited pressure, only to concede.

Letting the opposition have the ball allows them to grow into the game and gain confidence. Keeping it away from them and maintaining pressure is a much safer way to defend.

Put it this way, what's more likely to score a goal - the ball closer to your goal or further away?
We also had numerous games under Mourinho where we went 1:0 up then sat back and invited pressure, and we successfully held onto the lead or even hit a few more on the counter, just like the Spurs vs Leicester game undergoing right now.