Golden Boy 2019

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sancho deserves to be in the bracket of De Ligt in my opinion.

Did i skip over Arnold on the list? Couldn't see him...so does he. Havertz in with a shout too.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Havertz won Bundesliga player of the year and Sancho is a Bundesliga player so it should go to him.

De Ligt shouldn't even be top 10
Mbappe won it in 2017 and wasn't even shortlisted amongst the top 10 in 2018 despite having a much better year than De Ligt in 2019

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Havertz won Bundesliga player of the year and Sancho is a Bundesliga player so it should go to him.

De Ligt shouldn't even be top 10
Mbappe won it in 2017 and wasn't even shortlisted amongst the top 10 in 2018 despite having a much better year than De Ligt in 2019
Wasnt Mbappe too old for it?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
De Ligt, Sancho and Havertz are the top 3 definitely.

De Ligt will obviously win.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

@KirkDuyt No. Mbappe was in the top 50 list last year and didn't even get shortlisted in the end.
It was for those born in 1998 and later last year, It's 1999 and later this year.

Based on this there's no way De Ligt wins it back to back as even Mbappe didn't even though he won a World Cup

The White Pele

Bit surprised not to see Greenwood on there if Chong and Dalot have made it.

Indy Boonen on there also.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I thought it was open to under-21 players which they both are.
Strict interpretation of the rules I suppose. He'll be 21 when it's announced at the end of the year so isn't under 21 then. Like some others have said, nobody born in '98 is on the list.

Contrast that to U21 tournaments where sometimes 23 year olds are playing.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Strict interpretation of the rules I suppose. He'll be 21 when it's announced at the end of the year so isn't under 21 then. Like some others have said, nobody born in '98 is on the list.

Contrast that to U21 tournaments where sometimes 23 year olds are playing.
Or the PFA young player of the year where players in like their 7th season in senior Football are winning it.

R'hllor

Strahinja Pavlovic, Partizan Belgrade, man i really gave up from following anything football related from domestic league when this is my first team i hear about this kid.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@KirkDuyt No. Mbappe was in the top 50 list last year and didn't even get shortlisted in the end.
It was for those born in 1998 and later last year, It's 1999 and later this year.

Based on this there's no way De Ligt wins it back to back as even Mbappe didn't even though he won a World Cup
Surely there's a reason then? Maybe you cant win more than 1? Otherwise he'd obviously have won it again or made top 2/3/5/whatever.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

BalanceUnAutreJoint

@KirkDuyt That's how I understood it too, they're listed amongst the 50 but journalists never end up voting for a previous winner, think Messi had a similar case.

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
Voted for Havertz. He makes things look so easy. Cold-Blooded Killer with technique, physis und pace.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Golden Boy is such a strange name for this award.

"I'm the Golden Boy". Yuk.

Is there a "Golden Girl"?
It is a bit cringey in my opinion. On the other hand it's a well known turn of phrase and fits in with the definition nicely - "a man who is very successful and much admired, although often only briefly".

Can't help but think of Oscar De La Hoya, the ex-boxer when I see this as that was his nickname. He's now a big-time promoter and his company is Golden Boy Promotions.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Top 2-3 are of a similar level, IMO. De Ligt was as good as any other teenage central defender in Champions League history and Sancho had a breakout year as a premier creator in senior football — both of them deservedly got a lot of global exposure for their exploits, but Havertz completed an excellent season as well ⁠— instrumental in Leverkusen's Champions League qualification, and 17 Bundesliga goals is no joke at his age and for his nominal position (for reference, Ballack scored 17 in that season when he was crowned UEFA Midfielder of the Year), particularly when just over half of them were openers and not stat-padding finishes. Voting for Havertz because De Ligt and Sancho will definitely accrue more popular votes.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I thought you can't win this thing twice? Either way, I doubt De Ligt will win it again the way he started at Juve.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I would guess Joao Felix is the favourite?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sancho
Havertz
Felix

For top 3.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
IMO Sancho or Felix should win it. De Ligt would definitely make top 3 too.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Havertz for me. But obviously it will go to either De Ligt, Sancho or Felix because they get more coverage.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sancho. His stats are ridiculous and he’s doing it for both Dortmund and England while looking like one of the best players for each already.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I feel like if Foden got regular game time he'd be right up there as a potential winner.

Golden Boy is such a strange name for this award.

"I'm the Golden Boy". Yuk.

Is there a "Golden Girl"?
There's 4 of them, actually, and may I just add that all 4 are marvellous!