Golf 2022

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
PGA is coming out absolutely pathetically in all this. Stop with the virtue signalling nonsense after you have spent years doing nothing about the same stuff

FriedClams

PGA is coming out absolutely pathetically in all this. Stop with the virtue signalling nonsense after you have spent years doing nothing about the same stuff
I truly believe that everyone is a hypocrite, at least by definition. There are levels to it. It would be cool if one of the LIV players did what Lewis Hamilton did with the Saudis.

Ainu

So what sort of reception are we expecting at the US Open for the LIV tour players? Mickelson's first tee could get interesting.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The PGA tour is bankrolled by the Saudi government?

Well no but the point is that they have never stepped away from taking money from anywhere based on the political situation before. The only reason this is an issue is because they are worried that their own tour is going to be destroyed. I hate the Saudis but PGA trying to stand up using 9/11 & stuff is pathetic

FriedClams

So what sort of reception are we expecting at the US Open for the LIV tour players? Mickelson's first tee could get interesting.
I would expect the crowd to boo. Massachusetts is not a quiet state when it comes to cheering on those they love and jeering those they don’t have any respect for.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There’s a lot of “yes” responses in the replies that are just silly, but then you find folks with a realistic view like this…

^ that’s terrifying
I had a similar experience. I played at Ross Bridge (a beautiful public course in Bama) the week after the Regions Bank tournament. Not sure about the pin positions, but I can confirm the greens/rough played different than normal. I am not very good, but that day I was terrible.

Edit: As an aside, the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Bama is one of, if not THE, best values in all of golf. Some amazing courses and if you get a trail card or package it is very affordable. Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail (rtjgolf.com)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

—> No
I’ve played quite a few courses that hosted US Open sectional qualifying the day before (sectionals are the final qualifying round). These courses were already high in quality & hard as hell, when they geared the courses up to more closely match US Open conditions, they were nearly impossible.

Usually the rounds ended up with no score as I basically gave up, but I did break 90 a couple of times.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I had a similar experience. I played at Ross Bridge (a beautiful public course in Bama) the week after the Regions Bank tournament. Not sure about the pin positions, but I can confirm the greens/rough played different than normal. I am not very good, but that day I was terrible.

Edit: As an aside, the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Bama is one of, if not THE, best values in all of golf. Some amazing courses and if you get a trail card or package it is very affordable. Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail (rtjgolf.com)
Me & my pop played all of them in a golf orgy in 1999. What surprised me was how good the par three courses were on the trail.

Easily the best PPV cluster of courses in the US. Tennessee apparently has a similar trail, but not to the degree of AL.

FriedClams

Me & my pop played all of them in a golf orgy in 1999. What surprised me was how good the par three courses were on the trail.

Easily the best PPV cluster of courses in the US. Tennessee apparently has a similar trail, but not to the degree of AL.
Which part of Florida are you in?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

The Oxmoor Valley par 3 is stupid hard for a par 3. Absolutely beautiful course though, but my word every whole seems to have severe elevation changes.

My dad and I had similar plans when I lived in Bama, but it never worked out due to work/travel. May need to revisit the idea once we are back in the south (6 days!)

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to mention the short course at the Grand National (Auburn, AL). Holy crap that thing is gorgeous.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Oxmoor Valley par 3 is stupid hard for a par 3. Absolutely beautiful course though, but my word every whole seems to have severe elevation changes.

My dad and I had similar plans when I lived in Bama, but it never worked out due to work/travel. May need to revisit the idea once we are back in the south (6 days!)

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to mention the short course at the Grand National (Auburn, AL). Holy crap that thing is gorgeous.
Yep. GN was the course I played most often & the short course was sublime.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Got ya. We have a home in Bradenton on lakewood national. If you havent played it yet, strongly recommend.
Played both of them, always had a soft spot for Arnie’s courses as they were typically very playable.

I was a summer member at Sara Bay, a true Donald Ross design. Lovely course, diametrically different than modern courses, but that’s why I quickly fell in love with it.

FriedClams

Played both of them, always had a soft spot for Arnie’s courses as they were typically very playable.

I was a summer member at Sara Bay, a true Donald Ross design. Lovely course, diametrically different than modern courses, but that’s why I quickly fell in love with it.
The commander is top 3 i've ever played I think.

Carolina Red

Staff

I have always wanted to play that trail.

Also - for the greens - I remember seeing a demonstration showing that where the average public course roll out is like 7-9 feet on a stimpmeter, on a Major course it’s 13-14 feet.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Also - for the greens - I remember seeing a demonstration showing that where the average public course roll out is like 7-9 feet on a stimpmeter, on a Major course it’s 13-14 feet.
Oakmont has some greens that have pegged out at 15 on the stimpmeter. And the members demand that the greens are kept like that at all times. Crazy bastards.

Even if you just do a three day trip, you can’t do wrong starting wherever. All the courses are memorable, have at least 27 holes, & have a short course. You play all day, get in the car & drive no more than two hours, get a room, crash, then do it again. It’s basically nirvana.

My dad & I did the whole shebang in 1999 & we had to extend the trip by a day because we got stuck on the Sunday of the Ryder Cup when we came from so far back to beat the Euros (@ Brookline I believe). That was a great afternoon, sitting with my pop and a group of strangers, drinking beer & watching the comeback & going crazy.

Carolina Red

Staff
Oakmont has some greens that have pegged out at 15 on the stimpmeter. And the members demand that the greens are kept like that at all times. Crazy bastards.

Even if you just do a three day trip, you can’t do wrong starting wherever. All the courses are memorable, have at least 27 holes, & have a short course. You play all day, get in the car & drive no more than two hours, get a room, crash, then do it again. It’s basically nirvana.

My dad & I did the whole shebang in 1999 & we had to extend the trip by a day because we got stuck on the Sunday of the Ryder Cup when we came from so far back to beat the Euros (@ Brookline I believe). That was a great afternoon, sitting with my pop and a group of strangers, drinking beer & watching the comeback & going crazy.
The greens at the Walker Course at Clemson were a good bit faster than the normal courses here in the upstate and I honestly loved it. Had one of the best days putting I’ve had in awhile… so I actually see a bit of merit to the Oakmont folks there.

That sounds like a fantastic memory there with your dad. Had to have been one helluva trip!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The greens at the Walker Course at Clemson were a good bit faster than the normal courses here in the upstate and I honestly loved it. Had one of the best days putting I’ve had in awhile… so I actually see a bit of merit to the Oakmont folks there.

That sounds like a fantastic memory there with your dad. Had to have been one helluva trip!
It wasn’t always puppies & kittens with my pop, but the golf course was the DMZ where we could always enjoy being together.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

By the looks of the last few pages we could get a Caf trail tour going. Between Cal and I we can probably guarantee finding the best food in every city on the trail. Of course day one would likely end in a nightmare of burning penises and multiple arrests.

Carolina Red

Staff
By the looks of the last few pages we could get a Caf trail tour going. Between Cal and I we can probably guarantee finding the best food in every city on the trail. Of course day one would likely end in a nightmare of burning penises and multiple arrests.
:lol:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
To slightly better golfers than me, any tips to training on a simulator?

my local golf shop runs a gym like membership. 3 hours a week (give or take a bit) on the sim for $20. Can’t beat it but I’d like to get my monies worth. I’ve been going to just use the range but last couple of times I’ve taken a crack at some courses.

The problem I find is that unless it’s a par 3 course, actual course play seems to be a waste of time as there’s no penalty really for shit lies etc and there’s feck all feedback for around the greens

Carolina Red

Staff
To slightly better golfers than me, any tips to training on a simulator?

my local golf shop runs a gym like membership. 3 hours a week (give or take a bit) on the sim for $20. Can’t beat it but I’d like to get my monies worth. I’ve been going to just use the range but last couple of times I’ve taken a crack at some courses.

The problem I find is that unless it’s a par 3 course, actual course play seems to be a waste of time as there’s no penalty really for shit lies etc and there’s feck all feedback for around the greens
Just think of it as a tool for working on swing mechanics and seeing your ball flight. Ultimately the courses you can play are just adding a layer of fun to that practice.