Golf 2023

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This was the manufacturer and players choice to not have different balls.

As Rory said, he didn’t understand the opposition to tour balls considering am’s don’t play with tour level gear anyway.
Weird from Rory, ams do play balls the professionals use, not all ball producers have demarcation lines between their tour balls & am balls, Titleist being the biggest. Sure, all the Titleist pro's balls go through testing whereas 1 in 20 or 30 does with those slated for the philistines. Hell, amateurs at times can use hotter drivers than the pros can use.

Was it just the professionals who were behind the solo ball or were amateurs involved in that process?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Weird from Rory, ams do play balls the professionals use, not all ball producers have demarcation lines between their tour balls & am balls, Titleist being the biggest. Sure, all the Titleist pro's balls go through testing whereas 1 in 20 or 30 does with those slated for the philistines. Hell, amateurs at times can use hotter drivers than the pros can use.

Was it just the professionals who were behind the solo ball or were amateurs involved in that process?
I think he means in relation to clubs etc.

Which tbf is correct. We can get custom fit drivers but those guys are getting proper custom fits with injections etc.

I think those with proper skin in the game

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think he means in relation to clubs etc.

Which tbf is correct. We can get custom fit drivers but those guys are getting proper custom fits with injections etc.

I think those with proper skin in the game
Injection weighting? It’s available mainstream, albeit pricey & not totally helpful for an amateur having to go through swing changes to improve.

I want to say TM did some sort of face injections on a couple of their M drivers a few years back, but that was basically their marketing pitch to the masses, they weren’t cloistered away as untouchable.

Oh well, que sera sera.

RORY65

Crazy if Rahm actually goes to LIV.
He's always seemed the most likely of the big names given he's been less involved in the PGA than the likes of McIlroy while two of the people he's closest to in golf, Mickelson and Garcia, are already on LIV.

The indication is that this is also to strengthen the Saudi's hands in ensuring the merger with the PGA happens by the end of the month so there's every chance that Rahm will pocket the money and play a few events on LIV but be playing in the events he cares about again relatively soon.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
If Vice or Maxfli (and I use them since they aren’t used on tour) are making hot golf balls after the rollback, I can assure you that me and my buddies will be using them.

At that point, what’s the purpose of a casual amateur using a tour ball?
If you're playing your club competitions, you'd be required to use the rolled back balls though. What people do amongst friends is cool. But anyone playing any competition golf would be required to change.

Carolina Red

Staff
If you're playing your club competitions, you'd be required to use the rolled back balls though. What people do amongst friends is cool. But anyone playing any competition golf would be required to change.
I appreciate that you think I’ve got the money to be a member at a golf course.

mariachi-19

I reckon part of the potential merger will mean that LIV golfers will be unable to take the prize pool money from the PGA tour and it will be deducted from their guaranteed money like it is now.

Also it’s potentially not surprising with Ramhbo. I don’t mind the guy but his swing is like Bubba’s. It’s so unique that when it goes (and it will), it’ll be so hard to fix and he may just fall off the face of the planet. He’s protecting himself and you can’t blame him.

Explains why he left TGL and didn’t get invited to Tigers tournament last week.

Conor

It's completely surprising for Rahm to leave, given that he has literally said multiple times in the last year he would never leave for LIV.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's completely surprising for Rahm to leave, given that he has literally said multiple times in the last year he would never leave for LIV.
A hundred million a year for a few years makes one reassess, no doubt.

Conor

A hundred million a year for a few years makes one reassess, no doubt.
That offer has been on the table for years, though. He has always said he doesn't need the money, already has more than he could ever need, has zero interest in LIV and won't ever leave for it. It's the biggest 180 ever.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That offer has been on the table for years, though. He has always said he doesn't need the money, already has more than he could ever need, has zero interest in LIV and won't ever leave for it. It's the biggest 180 ever.
Didn't realize it had been on the table for years. Unannounced injury perhaps? Someone mentioned his swing; he is always good for a shank every couple of months due to his close stance, perhaps his margin of error is becoming a bit too troublesome?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
If they're merging why not cash in anyway?

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Big big blow to the PGA & European tours as well as Europe’s Ryder cup chances. The amount of money the elite golfers get in just getting obscene.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
That merger is in no way a certainty, and this move actually causes more problems in terms of competition rulings on the merger deal, as far as I understand.
The PGA brought this move on themselves from even considering a merger without consulting the players. They all felt betrayed.

Conor

The PGA brought this move on themselves from even considering a merger without consulting the players. They all felt betrayed.
Don't spend years saying you're definitely not going to do something, say you don't need the money and other things are more important, and then sell out. It's pretty simple. He has fecked us for the Ryder cup now, I've gone from liking him to completely disliking him over this.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Don't spend years saying you're definitely not going to do something, say you don't need the money and other things are more important, and then sell out. It's pretty simple. He has fecked us for the Ryder cup now, I've gone from liking him to completely disliking him over this.
Yeah he doesn't need the money etc, but once the PGA considered merging, all PGA players were basically told "you'll be taking Saudi money" so the way I see it, he could stick with PGA and a merger goes through and no 600mill, goto LIV, merger goes through, 600mill richer.

I liked the dude, don't agree with his choice, but I am about 600 million percent sure I would take the deal too.

Conor

Yeah he doesn't need the money etc, but once the PGA considered merging, all PGA players were basically told "you'll be taking Saudi money" so the way I see it, he could stick with PGA and a merger goes through and no 600mill, goto LIV, merger goes through, 600mill richer.

I liked the dude, don't agree with his choice, but I am about 600 million percent sure I would take the deal too.
I agree that most people would take the money, exact same as the Saudi football situation, but he explicitly put himself in the camp of someone that wouldn't do it, that's my issue with him.

Gavinb33

Golf will end up eating itself imo.

Outside of the majors no one will end up caring or watching.

At least Brooks was honest and he did it for the money, the rest of them would have more credibility if they just said the same.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Golf will end up eating itself imo.

Outside of the majors no one will end up caring or watching.

At least Brooks was honest and he did it for the money, the rest of them would have more credibility if they just said the same.
They're kinda gambling on which one will rule if the merger doesn't happen.

PGAs greed for the execs went on for too long and got exposed by LIV when suddenly the PGA found more money for prizes.

Doracle

The most unlikeable things about these moves always seems to be the way in which they try and justify them as being for anything other than financial reasons. It just makes them sound utterly ridiculous.

This does feel like he’s just cashing in though, knowing it’s probably not going to ultimately hurt his ability to play the big events/Ryder Cup. Can’t really fault him given the PGA’s own position.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I did like Rahm but he's gone to the dark side. So maybe he is a goon now.

But I ask myself the question - If I was an elite player and was offered guaranteed silly money for just turning up would I refuse it. The answer is no.
He and his family will be set for life and future generations too

tomaldinho1

Aren't they all basically the same now (PGA, LIV, DP) post July? All with now be funded to certain extents by PIF as I understood it. I get why anyone moves now, there's no real sides anymore.

Conor

I did like Rahm but he's gone to the dark side. So maybe he is a goon now.

But I ask myself the question - If I was an elite player and was offered guaranteed silly money for just turning up would I refuse it. The answer is no.
He and his family will be set for life and future generations too
He was already in that position though.

RORY65

Aren't they all basically the same now (PGA, LIV, DP) post July? All with now be funded to certain extents by PIF as I understood it. I get why anyone moves now, there's no real sides anymore.
They had the framework of a deal to merge but there was a deadline of the end of December to finalise the deal (obviously that can be flexed) and it's not very clear whether the deal will actually happen. The PGA have been looking at other external investment in addition to the PIF but they may end up being instead of the PIF albeit you would think this improves the negotiating position of the Saudis as it's not ideal for maybe the best player in the world to not be at a part of the PGA at all moving forward.

arnie_ni

I'm only getting into golf recently so I might have a lot of this wrong but I can see the appeal financially of liv. You only get paid if you make the cut in golf which compared to the other most popular sports is against the norm. So this guaranteed contract offer is hard to turn down.

FriedClams

They had the framework of a deal to merge but there was a deadline of the end of December to finalise the deal (obviously that can be flexed) and it's not very clear whether the deal will actually happen. The PGA have been looking at other external investment in addition to the PIF but they may end up being instead of the PIF albeit you would think this improves the negotiating position of the Saudis as it's not ideal for maybe the best player in the world to not be at a part of the PGA at all moving forward.
The merger won't happen. Saudi are going all in, on everything. They are offering any big company in the world THIRTY YEARS tax exemption if they move their office to Riyadh. They have too much $ and have become too savvy politically.

Zen

So I heard Rory Mcilroy say that the "if the public is demanding more team Golf, then maybe we have to move towards it" or something like that.... are the public actually demanding it? Or is this him just preparing us lightly for his inevitable bending of the knee.

It's seems farcical the basic clips I've seen of it, and they clearly don't take it seriously either, given they've all got a level of guaranteed mega money, there's no need to I guess. It's just about showing up and the majors if you've took the money.

mariachi-19

So I heard Rory Mcilroy say that the "if the public is demanding more team Golf, then maybe we have to move towards it" or something like that.... are the public actually demanding it? Or is this him just preparing us lightly for his inevitable bending of the knee.

It's seems farcical the basic clips I've seen of it, and they clearly don't take it seriously either, given they've all got a level of guaranteed mega money, there's no need to I guess. It's just about showing up and the majors if you've took the money.
I reckon PGA tour is about to have a massive shakeup. Jay is a gonna. Cannot believe he has survived this long