Golf 2023

arnie_ni

Wouldn't mind getting into playing a bit. What's a good starting price for a set of clubs for beginners? Found a full set bag and all on fb for £180. Dunlops

FriedClams

Fair enough.

Apologies. The concern with old PXG’s (and Rick shiels discussed this) was that they lacked consistency.
I wouldn’t trust anything Rick shiels says about consistency to be fair. Until I hear him say “I’ve hooked that” as opposed to “stop drawing” I won’t trust a thing He says. Genuinely think some of his scores on old videos were manufactured.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
So who would be your captain’s picks for Europe? I’d pick Fleetwood, Rose, Lowry, Aberg (he’s blooming good!), Straka and Meronk.

Rams

Take out Meronk for Hojgaard and you were spot on
I would have gone for Meronk because of his experience and he won at that golf course recently, but Nicolas Hojgaard is probably more talented. Looks a strong European squad, lot of exceptional young talent. That course is a typical European tour fiddly type of course which won’t suit the yanks.

FriedClams

Think the US will win it comfortably, they have an awful lot of fairway finders in that team. Mcilroy gets the lefts on this course it’ll eat him up.

Carolina Red

Staff
I am not so sure you are right you know, this is a European course in my view tighter and more compact than what the PGA players are used to
“You would not want the course to get too firm,” insists another player. “Plus, I’m not sure why we would build a course that would favor the Americans more than the Europeans. But I feel that is the case. Historically, the Americans have been longer than us. And here there are a few places where you can really cut the corners if you bomb it. Also, putting on undulating, quick greens is what the Americans are more used to. On both counts, we will likely be at a disadvantage. Yes, we can help things with the setup. But I’m not as impressed as I would like to be. Yes, it has time to mature before 2023. But it needs a manicure and a pedicure to get up to standard.”
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ma...ryder-cup-course-gets-mixed-reviews-debut/amp

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Fair enough.

Apologies. The concern with old PXG’s (and Rick shiels discussed this) was that they lacked consistency.
The 'players' irons with PXG are good. I didn't have any issue with consistency regarding distance when trying them out. Most of the mid level irons have issues for me whenever I try them, regardless of the brand. The P770 were horrific in that respect, the same 7 iron strike could go 170 or 190. Think its just a byproduct of what they're designed for nowadays.

Gavinb33

“You would not want the course to get too firm,” insists another player. “Plus, I’m not sure why we would build a course that would favor the Americans more than the Europeans. But I feel that is the case. Historically, the Americans have been longer than us. And here there are a few places where you can really cut the corners if you bomb it. Also, putting on undulating, quick greens is what the Americans are more used to. On both counts, we will likely be at a disadvantage. Yes, we can help things with the setup. But I’m not as impressed as I would like to be. Yes, it has time to mature before 2023. But it needs a manicure and a pedicure to get up to standard.”
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ma...ryder-cup-course-gets-mixed-reviews-debut/amp
“Based on what happened in 2018, the Americans need to come over and play,” Townsend says. “Only JT did that then. And he played the best of the Americans by far in the Ryder Cup. The course over-required some local knowledge, and time will tell us that this one does, too.”

Also this was part of the article too, could go either way

Truly a bigger head scratcher than JT making the US team.

The Lowry pick is very generous imo

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
How did Tommy not get selected on merit for this Ryder cup team? I don’t understand why he was a captains pick? He’s been there or there abouts all year
Not on the DP World Tour therefore doesn’t get the points for qualification.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
None of the picks are that controversial really. Sure, Meronk is a little unlucky but I’d still want Lowry over him in a clutch moment and that’s what it comes down to. It’s not all about who’s in the best form.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Question for the stupid picks… if Tiger was available for selection despite not playing most of the year… do you still take him over JT?
Nah, not this Tiger. Even if he was available, his body would still be wracked with issues. Not the best situation for a hilly course with which he is unfamiliar.

Rams

I’m sure the golf course will be set up with narrow fiddly fairways, that will be different from what they’re used to in the States. But actually, if you compare players of each team I would say the European side beats this Yank side in terms of driving distance! LIV golf has robbed the Yanks of some of their bigger hitters. Where the yanks are superior will be with the short game & putting. That’s how I see it anyway.
In terms of none-British players this is easily the strongest Ryder cup side I’ve seen, Rahm, Hovland, Aberg and Hojgaard are all extremely talented, and Aberg’s probably the best of the lot IMO.

Carolina Red

Staff
I’m sure the golf course will be set up with narrow fiddly fairways, that will be different from what they’re used to in the States. But actually, if you compare players of each team I would say the European side beats this Yank side in terms of driving distance! LIV golf has robbed the Yanks of some of their bigger hitters. Where the yanks are superior will be with the short game & putting. That’s how I see it anyway.
In terms of none-British players this is easily the strongest Ryder cup side I’ve seen, Rahm, Hovland, Aberg and Hojgaard are all extremely talented, and Aberg’s probably the best of the lot IMO.
You’ve got the two longest hitters with McIlroy and Rahm, but then it’s like 5 or 6 US guys in a row till you get to Hovland. And we did take Koepka off of LIV.

And as for hitting fairways, we’ve got Morikawa (2), Harman (12), and Cantlay (18). Closest Team Europe has are Straka (24), Lowry (28), and Hovland (31).

Rams

I think the Yanks are weakened not having Johnson, Dewankerbeau and Reed in the side. The form JT & Spieth is a concern, Fowler’s still a bit meh, Morikawa’s has his struggles, Scheffler hasn’t holed a put in months and the rest is a bit steady Eddy weo Koepka. I think there’s potentially a bit more X factor in the European side,. Aberg, for example, will be winning majors within 2 years and I’ll bet you an expensive bottle of plonk on that.

Rams

Ah, yeah. They can mash it too. I was looking at the PGA Tour stat book.

With all the talk about these fairways, how‘d those two do at the PGA Championship and US Open?
The courses in the States are much bigger, and it’s more the crazy rough, green speed and pin positions in the majors, it won’t be like that in the Ryder cup. They’ll set it up towards Luke Donald’s wishes. Tighter fairways and more generous pin positions I would imagine.