Golf 2024

whitbyviking

Fantastically poised for the final holes. If Fleetwood can find a couple more shots in the last few holes he’ll be somewhere near

Zen

Scottie still gets this boring thing thrown at him? :lol:

Someones gonna have to get his mistresses to sort this out.

Zen

"too robotic" and "doesn't play interesting" followed by "same" by someone else.... all implies that, if it doesn't, then cool, but be more specific.

But it's been a common thing thrown at him since he won his first jacket. You don't win (probably) 2 Masters before you're 30 by being robotic anyway. 1 potentially... but he's got a colossal game and makes creative stuff look robotic because he's so goddamn good at it, his short game is insanely good.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
He needs a cooler name, more personality, and be 7 years younger.

Zen

He needs a cooler name, more personality, and be 7 years younger.
Not gonna lie, I probably wouldn't recognise him if he tee'd off in front of me, yet alone walked past me. But I love that he looks like a total regular dude.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
"too robotic" and "doesn't play interesting" followed by "same" by someone else.... all implies that, if it doesn't, then cool, but be more specific.

But it's been a common thing thrown at him since he won his first jacket. You don't win (probably) 2 Masters before you're 30 by being robotic anyway. 1 potentially... but he's got a colossal game and makes creative stuff look robotic because he's so goddamn good at it, his short game is insanely good.
Oh he's undoubtedly playing some of the best golf we've ever seen. But dunno, it doesn't have the jeopardy or the creativity of some out there. It's just excellent. I quite like the scrambling masters and the crazy shot shapers.

It'll be fascinating if he can stay at this level. Golf is so weird like that, no one seems to be able to stay dialed in for more than a couple years. I thought Spieth was going to, and Rory and Rahm and now Scottie.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Everyone else is falling apart here. -8 in a tournament in which only 7 players are under par is insane

diarm

I never get the robotic thing. He literally has a swing that would break the ankles of anybody else who tried it.

That he has the best iron control of any player on tour with that much movement is nothing short of incredible.

Zen

I never get the robotic thing. He literally has a swing that would break the ankles of anybody else who tried it.

That he has the best iron control of any player on tour with that much movement is nothing short of incredible.
I totally agree, I also think he's pretty goddamn aggressive due to his confidence of knowing he can just recover around the green so effortlessly. It's an odd criticism to me that because he's not in trouble much, he doesn't play crazy out there shots seemingly. He's close to peak Tiger-levels of consistency... with a far more talented field than Tiger ever had to contend with.

Started this tournament at odds I haven't seen for some time, maybe Rory? In that the gap between him and 2nd, actually Rory :lol:, was huge. As mentioned above though, it'll be interesting to see if he can sustain it and go past Rory in that regard, who's obviously been the best player the last 10 years - yet is 3 majors away from having zero majors to show for that.

diarm

Scheffler is better than Rory because he took the big weakness in his game, putting, and went away and worked on it to the extent that it is now a strength.

Something Rory has never been able to do.

Zen

I'm not gonna argue on that one... as ones been around at the top for nearly 15? years and the other just about 5. In the grander scheme of things, Rory is still miles clear, but Scottie can obviously catch and go past him. Rory's 4 majors don't do him justice for me, I'd rank him over fair few who have more than, and certainly over his contemporary in Koepka, who's never had to deal with half of the pressure Rory has had too.

.... and astonishing.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Scheffler is incredibly impressive. Not for one second going to say he’s going to win as many majors, but nobody has been this much better than the field since Tiger. 2 Masters in 3 years is probably an under-achievement considering how much better he’s been than everyone else in the last few years.

Aberg has been very impressive too. Maybe he’ll be the major rival to Scheffler going forward.

Conor

Oh he's undoubtedly playing some of the best golf we've ever seen. But dunno, it doesn't have the jeopardy or the creativity of some out there. It's just excellent. I quite like the scrambling masters and the crazy shot shapers.

It'll be fascinating if he can stay at this level. Golf is so weird like that, no one seems to be able to stay dialed in for more than a couple years. I thought Spieth was going to, and Rory and Rahm and now Scottie.
You seem to be completely conflating his personality and demeanour with his golf game, he has literally every shot in the world in his bag, he hits it high, low, draw or fade. Any shot he needs he has, his short game is outrageous, and his ball striking is better than prime Tiger. His swing is incredibly unorthodox, he's the opposite of the generic, robot tour player whose swing was manufactured by some top 100 coach.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
You seem to be completely conflating his personality and demeanour with his golf game, he has literally every shot in the world in his bag, he hits it high, low, draw or fade. Any shot he needs he has, his short game is outrageous, and his ball striking is better than prime Tiger. His swing is incredibly unorthodox, he's the opposite of the generic, robot tour player whose swing was manufactured by some top 100 coach.
Agree with this. Watching what he did on Friday when playing with Rory showed the stark difference between them. In that wind, Rory really struggled because he has one shot with a big high ball flight. Whereas Scheffler’s control of the golf ball was incredible.

diarm

What happened to Scheffler's ball there? It was 100% plugged and then suddenly it was a foot away.

Conor

What happened to Scheffler's ball there? It was 100% plugged and then suddenly it was a foot away.
I think the camera angle was on a straight line with his ball and the initial pitch mark in the bunker and so it was a bit of an illusion.

diarm

I think the camera angle was on a straight line with his ball and the initial pitch mark in the bunker and so it was a bit of an illusion.
Ah yeah, that was probably it.