Television Gomorrah

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Surprised there's not a thread on this already.

About modern day Italian mafia, in Italian with subs.

Really well paced for entertainment. Doesn't try to take it slow for the sake of being gritty. Also really like that it doesn't wait until the very end of a season for anything to actually happen, like a lot of shows, and that the protaganist isn't made out to be some kind of good guy wrapped up in a bad world.

I'm up to S2E2 so use spoiler tags please.

Really liked the Don Pietro twist at the end of S1. So many people dying in the last episode was surprising too. Only complaint so far is Genny's transformation seemed a bit... comic book? It was a bit too much of a change.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yeah it's a proper great show, although I do think the first season is comfortably the best one.

Genny is also not a great main character and I agree with the spoiler, it was a bit daft.

There was also a point I hated when Ciro tortured and killed that young girl he kidnapped. That turned him from an anti-hero into an irredeemable piece of shit that kinda ruined his character for me

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Couldn’t get into it. It’s just a bunch of horrible people killing each other. They had no personalities.

At least in the Wire, Sopranos, BB, Succession there’s funny characters, dark humour, etc…

Everyone was just so serious. Not my cup of tea. Tried for 7 episodes though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah it's a proper great show, although I do think the first season is comfortably the best one.

Genny is also not a great main character and I agree with the spoiler, it was a bit daft.

There was also a point I hated when Ciro tortured and killed that young girl he kidnapped. That turned him from an anti-hero into an irredeemable piece of shit that kinda ruined his character for me
I was surprised by that too. Although I find it quite refreshing (sounds a bit weird to call that refreshing).

Couldn’t get into it. It’s just a bunch of horrible people killing each other. They had no personalities.

At least in the Wire, Sopranos, BB, Succession there’s funny characters, dark humour, etc…

I guess that's actually why I like it. They feel more like real people than characters.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I was surprised by that too. Although I find it quite refreshing (sounds a bit weird to call that refreshing).

I guess that's actually why I like it. They feel more like real people than characters.
Real people laugh and do other things though.

Not knocking it but I just felt the opposite. Didn't feel they were well rounded.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

It's pretty realistic though.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Love this show, very addicting, well-acted. I just didn’t like how
pretty much every character gets killed. I mean come on, even all the wives, sisters, daughters FFS

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I thought we had a thread for this but maybe we just discussed in the recommendations thread.

I love this show. The cinematography is outstanding and I really like its tangential vignettes that happen in some episodes.

@VeevaVee you might want to try Romanzo Criminale as well. Only two seasons but a superb show.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I thought we had a thread for this but maybe we just discussed in the recommendations thread.

I love this show. The cinematography is outstanding and I really like its tangential vignettes that happen in some episodes.

@VeevaVee you might want to try Romanzo Criminale as well. Only two seasons but a superb show.
There is but it wasn't spelt right so didn't show up in my search for it. Will check that out, thanks!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Feck me you do everything you can to avoid spoilers and they put them in the descriptions. Thanks for recommending L’Immortale to me Now TV, but I really didn’t want to see the biggest spoiler possible for Gomorrah you dickheads.

Andy_Cole

Feck me you do everything you can to avoid spoilers and they put them in the descriptions. Thanks for recommending L’Immortale to me Now TV, but I really didn’t want to see the biggest spoiler possible for Gomorrah you dickheads.
Happened to me too.

Anyone started season 5?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’m on s1e4. This is amazing. Think it’s probably Wire tier good.
It never seems to faulter either. There’s a couple questionably unrealistic happenings like in most tv, but it’s full pelt all the time. The way they introduce new characters and give them weight really quickly is great.
Happened to me too.

Anyone started season 5?
Don’t read the fecking s5e1 description either ffs :lol:

I checked to see if they’d added the new season and there we go with another massive spoiler.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It is a very realistic portrait of the camorra(that would be the mafia from campania), with several plots inspired by real life events. It's a fantastic show if you're into that and you're curious to know more about how the camorra is and operate - they are one of the 4 different italian mafia groups and though very much local and fractured so not as powerful and far reaching as cosa nostra or the 'ndrangheta(this being THE biggest criminal organization in the world) they tend to be by far the most brutal these days

Btw seen romanzo criminale mentioned, and yes, would reccommend, though that's taken from a book inspired by the story of the roman criminal group known as banda della magliana, who operated and became (in)famous in the 70s and early 80s. That one also does a good job of depicting the socio-political situation of italy at the time(with the Aldo Moro kidnapping, the terrorist bombing of the bologna train station, etc)

Amir

The fifth and final season just ended. I thought it was quite good, after a couple of seasons which were below par, at least compared with the first two.

Massive Spanner

I’m about half way through the final season. I don’t know if it was always this bad but feck me it feels like half of every episode is spent following a car from behind!

it’s been really good but still not a patch on season one and two, but definitely better than three and four which were quite poor.

Ciro being alive is a bit daft but he is a far better character than the personality vacuums of Genny and Patrizia so I’m not complaining.

Roosney

A bit disappointed with s5, quite pointless and naive at times. And what the feck was the last minute about? Ciro tries to wipe out Genny and vice versa for a full season and then in the end they are suddenly best buddies and cry and hug.

Massive Spanner

A bit disappointed with s5, quite pointless and naive at times. And what the feck was the last minute about? Ciro tries to wipe out Genny and vice versa for a full season and then in the end they are suddenly best buddies and cry and hug.
Just finished it and I agree. A massive disappointment. Show just disappeared up its own arse. It’s supposed to be a realistic portrayal of what it’s like in Naples but the whole thing was completely absurd. The dialogue was also awful. I don’t remember the earlier seasons being that dull and lifeless. Fecking smile will you?

JoaquinJoaquin

Binged 4 seasons of this over the past 3 weeks. What a show. Best show in years IMO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In case anyone, like me, is late to the party this Twitter thread perfectly sums up why this show is an absolute must watch.

IMHO it’s easily on a par with The Wire or Breaking Bad and shits all over GoT (speaking as someone who watched/enjoyed all three of them)

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Terrible and terrific at the same time.

Oldham

Absolutely fantastic this show.
Might be the best I've seen ever...

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Edit: Have only just started S2. I guess my opinion may change. S1 is fecking sensational though…
Ahhh... those were the days. Cologne features in S2 - and is described as a shit city or something like that :lol:
I agree btw. This was a top notch show for 1-2 seasons. My favourite during that time.

Don't remember really S3; I could not bring myself to watch the end of S4.

Roosney

Agree with Nooruddean about the soundtrack: the very second I hear those piano/synth notes by Mocadelic they teleport me to the grimy yards and alleys of Naples

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Trying not to open this thread til I've finished it, but seems a bit daft and forced that Genny put Ciro in the gulag just because he was laying low after saving his and his family's lives.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Finally finished it. An amazing series, but s5 just wasn’t that great.

I’ve mentioned before how refreshing it is for a show to not be all about building up to the last one or two episodes, but this season was exactly that, and the end just wasn’t that great. He saves them only to turn on them only let them go?

It made no sense for Genny to not get on the boat. They could easily start a new life somewhere else. These now leaderless chumps aren’t going to follow him.

And on that note why the feck did Mistral not get his wife further away? You’d be straight to a different country or at least the other end of the one you’re in if you were pretending you’re dead and in hiding.

JoaquinJoaquin

Just watched the finale, not sure what to make of it tbh..

So who was it who actually killed Ciro? I get it made sense for the story as he had achieved every thing, but still, it seemed a bit weird to off him in that way, he is the immortal after all

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just watched the finale, not sure what to make of it tbh..

So who was it who actually killed Ciro? I get it made sense for the story as he had achieved every thing, but still, it seemed a bit weird to off him in that way, he is the immortal after all
I'm guessing it was that old biddy's men? I don't think it really matters though and was probably meant as a talking point anyway.

Cole9

I'm guessing it was that old biddy's men? I don't think it really matters though and was probably meant as a talking point anyway.
I thought the same. I assumed it was one of the guys that Genny/Ciro had shot and he wasn't dead.

Overall, I found season 5 disappointing. The whole Genny v Ciro thing seemed a bit contrived. Still a good watch though, but seasons 1-3 were the best.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I thought the same. I assumed it was one of the guys that Genny/Ciro had shot and he wasn't dead.

Overall, I found season 5 disappointing. The whole Genny v Ciro thing seemed a bit contrived. Still a good watch though, but seasons 1-3 were the best.

Yeah, it was super contrived. The whole gulag thing to make them hate each other again felt very forced and daft. But still an amazing show.

Fts 74

I thought it was brilliant, the music is amazing.

As I understand it, it was based on true events and the idea was to show that drugs and the mafia isn't all glamour like a lot of the films portray, these guys may have all the power but they can't really go anywhere or do anything they are basically trapped in their own area as they are basically all targets and can't trust anyone.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I watched seasons 1-3 last year and got a bit bored of it after that. Might finish it at some point.

Real Name

Watching it at the moment, on season 5.

After 3 seasons it started to be a bit too much. Just piling on new characters who kill each other, Gennaro going back in and out of the story, not to mention Ciro who cant die whatsoever. All in all good series but 3 seasons, was enough, 4 at the most. Fifth it seems will be just rehashing of the same stuff again.

First 2 seasons were intense, great, watched it in one breath.