Gonçalo Ramos

Status
Not open for further replies.

next_number_seven

I think I'd prefer Ramos to Osimhen or Kane.

Better age to develop.
I think we've enough pace already, prefer someone with a bit of finesse

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
My understanding is that EtH has always preferred a certain type of striker (He only played Tadic as a False 9 in the CL and big Eredivisie games IIRC). My sense is that Ramos is closer to being ten Hag's preferred type of striker than Osimhen is; I'm not really sure if any of EtH's strikers have really come anywhere close to Osimhen in terms of explosiveness but I do think that their hold-up play is more in line with Ramos.

Osimhen is primarily a runner for me and edges to the right if anything Whereas Marcus is primarily a driver and secondarily a runner and plays on the left so they mightn't end up getting in each other's way. But Rashford has pretty much played alongside a foil this year in Weghorst/Martial and the same can be said for Osimhen with Kvaratskhelia; I'm think Osimhen and Rashford could unbalance the attack. On the other hand, Ramos was the foil last season to Darwin Nunez so I have no concerns about Rashford not gelling with Rashford; au contraire, I think Ramos would offer the off-ball work that Weghorst does but with superior finishing ability.

Malone_Post

I think I'd prefer Ramos to Osimhen or Kane.

Better age to develop.
I think we've enough pace already, prefer someone with a bit of finesse
Do we? Aside from Rashford & Garnacho I don’t think we have much attacking pace at all. None of Martial, Sancho, Antony, Weghorst or Bruno are fast.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Do we? Aside from Rashford & Garnacho I don’t think we have much attacking pace at all. None of Martial, Sancho, Antony, Weghorst or Bruno are fast.
Awareness and speed of thought are much more useful than just having attacking pace, otherwise one of our wingers would have been Usain Bolt

OrcaFat

Awareness and speed of thought are much more useful than just having attacking pace, otherwise one of our wingers would have been Usain Bolt
Can’t we get someone fast AND clever? Does such a player even exist?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I think we should make him the priority over the other two. (almost) a complete striker.
I'd be cautious purely because it feels like Portugal haven't produced a half decent centre forward since Eusebio. :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'd be cautious purely because it feels like Portugal haven't produced a half decent centre forward since Eusebio. :lol:
:lol: Eusebio sucked out all Portugal's luck on striker. What a player he was. (Although Eusebio is not really a center forward).

But I really have a good feeling about Ramos. Other than being a good footballer, he's scored all type of goals.

criticalanalysis

He seems like a smart and efficient player...but he also seems so athletically underwhelming as well...

ROFLUTION

:lol: Eusebio sucked out all Portugal's luck on striker. What a player he was. (Although Eusebio is not really a center forward).

But I really have a good feeling about Ramos. Other than being a good footballer, he's scored all type of goals.
Yeah it really seems like they havent had a GOAT contender ever since.

Am i doing it right?

Ekeke

Think he's going to be a good striker. When you watch his goals he's mostly getting on the end of things in the box as more of a poacher, and stretching the defences but having watched him against Bruge his all round game and his pass assist for Rafa was a very good ball to play in a teammate.

He's still young of course, I dont see him becoming a Haaland or Kane but I could see him being the tier below that of premier league strikers. So I think he would be a good signing as one of our strikers, just not our endgame striker as someone to match City and the top clubs. Something like both him and Muani coming in the summer would be my plan and have them compete to start and play together coming off the bench when we need a goal.

Onerealunited

I’ve heard he has a release clause of €120m. Given the price Enzo was sold for, how much much do we think that they will require to let him go!?

Ekeke

I’ve heard he has a release clause of €120m. Given the price Enzo was sold for, how much much do we think that they will require to let him go!?
Dont think it'll be like that, and if it is I dont think anyone will pay it. He's looking like a £50 million or so striker not something like that

NoPace

He seems like a smart and efficient player...but he also seems so athletically underwhelming as well...
Agreed. I like him a lot, but he's not a plus athlete.

Either he or Osimhen would have had a hat trick against Betis.

I think we'll sign him for 70M after Napoli and Spurs quote us insane numbers like 130M.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Dont think it'll be like that, and if it is I dont think anyone will pay it. He's looking like a £50 million or so striker not something like that
Given the price they got for Nunez just last summer, I'd be very surprised if they let him go that cheaply.

romufc

Not watched him at all apart from some of his WC games, wont lie, I cant say I was overly impressed by those performances.

However; there seems to be hype about him, I saw the benfica CEO or director come out saying he is 120m.

My question is, is he worth anywhere near that ?

pacifictheme

Never seen this guy before but based on his highlights reel sign him up. He does look decent but it was club brugge.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nunez had 26 in 24 games. Ramos is 15 in 19
Per 90min:

Nunez - 1.00 non penalty goals, 0.69 NPxG
Ramos - 0.93 non penalty goals, 0.96 NPxG

Statistically nobody with any sense would prefer to invest in the former output over the latter.

Lecland07

The issue I have with this signing is that Benfica seem to find it very east to find prolific goal scorers

Seferovic: 22 goals in 29 games
Nunez: 26 goals in 28 games
Ramos: 15 goals in 19 games

Are they actually good or is it more a reflection of the quality of their league?

OleGunnar20

Anything above £50m would be too much I think, though he does look promising. Benefica strikers are very hard to judge.

justboy68

Per 90min:

Nunez - 1.00 non penalty goals, 0.69 NPxG
Ramos - 0.93 non penalty goals, 0.96 NPxG

Statistically nobody with any sense would prefer to invest in the former output over the latter.
Unless I'm totally misunderstanding that stat doesn't that mean Nunez was more clinical in front of goal and Ramos more wasteful, underperforming xG? My understanding is top strikers are ones who tend to outperform their xG.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Unless I'm totally misunderstanding that stat doesn't that mean Nunez was more clinical in front of goal and Ramos more wasteful, underperforming xG? My understanding is top strikers are ones who tend to outperform their xG.
Nope, the ability to get chances (i.e. generate high xG) is more important than the ability to finish (i.e. substantially overperform their xG), because it's the more repeatable skill.

We see a mini example of this in Nunez' own stats over the last three seasons as his NPxG has remained more stable than his finishing performance. 0.50, 0.69, 0.73 versus -0.25, +0.31, -0.16.

In this case the stats you quoted suggest that while Nunez minimally outscored Ramos by 0.07 goals a game in those particular seasons, Ramos is much more likely to keep his rate of returns up than Nunez was because he's not relying on overperforming the chances he's getting.

justboy68

Nope, the ability to get chances (i.e. generate high xG) is more important than the ability to finish (i.e. substantially overperform their xG), because it's the more repeatable skill.

We see a mini example of this in Nunez' own stats over the last three seasons as his NPxG has remained more stable than his finishing performance. 0.50, 0.69, 0.73 versus -0.25, +0.31, -0.16.

In this case the stats you quoted suggest that while Nunez minimally outscored Ramos by 0.07 goals a game in those particular seasons, Ramos is much more likely to keep his rate of returns up than Nunez was because he's not relying on overperforming the chances he's getting.
Okay, that sounds decent then. I would probably still prefer Kane or Osimhen but if Ramos is cheaper or more attainable and meant we could strengthen more in other areas then I could get on board with that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Link up play is better than expected. How’s his play with back to goal / holding defenders off?
I've only watched him play the one game against Club Brugge and also several highlight comps. But from what I've read about him, his hold up play is considered to be good. And from watching him play, it's pretty clear to see that his touch and techhique in confined spaces is also good. He's also a player that looks to be physically strong and hence is difficult to knock off the ball. He's seems quick enough and I would describe him as a power runner due to his muscular physique. He's also comfortable on either foot and has good shooting ability from what I've seen.

At 21 years of age, he looks a very interesting young player that could potentially enhance the quality of the team as a collective. I also like Evan Ferguson and Benjamin Sesko who both look technically of a high level for young players. But a move to United is probably too early for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.