Gonçalo Ramos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He seems like a smart and efficient player...but he also seems so athletically underwhelming as well...
He is a bit underwhelming in terms of athleticism, yes! You watch matches featuring players like Højlund or Seško (or even Darwin, when he was at Benfica), and you often get a “man vs. boys” feeling in that they seem a tier above with regard to explosiveness and dynamism (and have the potential to be more dominant, if and when they reach their prospective peaks).
That being said, Gonçalo also comes across as someone who will keep working on his craft to become an even more polished and tactically astute center forward who is willing to make a lot of sacrifices for the collective (on top of having a very keen eye for goal) — and is a bit further along in his development than those two, among others (which make him a safer and more trustworthy target). That eclectic combination definitely has a lot of value, particularly under a coach who can devise a good system for the offense (and make it operate at a level that is higher than the sum of parts).

criticalanalysis

He is a bit underwhelming in terms of athleticism, yes! You watch matches featuring players like Højlund or Seško (or even Darwin, when he was at Benfica), and you often get a “man vs. boys” feeling in that they seem a tier above with regard to explosiveness and dynamism (and have the potential to be more dominant, if and when they reach their prospective peaks).
That being said, Gonçalo also comes across as someone who will keep working on his craft to become an even more polished and tactically astute center forward who is willing to make a lot of sacrifices for the collective (on top of having a very keen eye for goal) — and is a bit further along in his development than those two, among others (which make him a safer and more trustworthy target). That eclectic combination definitely has a lot of value, particularly under a coach who can devise a good system for the offense (and make it operate at a level that is higher than the sum of parts).
Yes definitely and I can see him playing well here but I worry whether it's the best long term fit for us or worth the outlay.

To oversimplify it, I see it as a Felix and Osimhen type of complex.

Felix: Will gel massively with team going forward, in transition, help retain possession with his touch and dribbling ability to drive and turn from any part of the pitch. A scorer of good goals and has potential to become a regular goal scorer but not a penalty box scorer; his style of play would create high synergy with the rest of the team.

Osimhen: Standard hold up play, with elite off the ball running defensively and offensively. Won't necessarily help us become a better possession side but I don't feel will drastically impact us because of his other qualities (if we do end being the high press, possession dominant team ETH envisions us in the future); can play with him getting involved (in relatively more simply give and goes), can play around him because of his movement and can be direct behind the defence and in the box.

Goncalo would have to fall in the best of both worlds as he's in neither of the above player's elite ability profile. He would have to potentially become Villa mark 2 (playmaking, goal scoring and athletically very sharp) or better than a fit Martial, if he's going to be our no.9.

Both of which I have doubts on or is a bigger risk project. To be fair though, I'm not qualified at all to really comment as I've only seen his world cup performances, some games and a few highlights!

eire-red

Nope, the ability to get chances (i.e. generate high xG) is more important than the ability to finish (i.e. substantially overperform their xG), because it's the more repeatable skill.

We see a mini example of this in Nunez' own stats over the last three seasons as his NPxG has remained more stable than his finishing performance. 0.50, 0.69, 0.73 versus -0.25, +0.31, -0.16.

In this case the stats you quoted suggest that while Nunez minimally outscored Ramos by 0.07 goals a game in those particular seasons, Ramos is much more likely to keep his rate of returns up than Nunez was because he's not relying on overperforming the chances he's getting.
Ramos played less games though, so much smaller sample size makes it tricky to compare I'd say.

It's not an exact science either way. We don't know what type of xG Ramos would consistently get in the PL. I'd highly doubt he'll average almost 1 xG per game in the PL.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I read an article about him a while back and it struck me that he sounds like a type of striker that EtH appear to fancy. Even more so after seeing how he make use of Weghorst.

«Having previously played deeper, Ramos is also a clever combination player who can set up the initial attacking action as well as getting on the end of it. Though not lightning quick, his ability to time his movement often sees him pulling away from defenders when playing off the shoulders of the centre-backs.»

(…)

«And it gives us the ability to play differently, acting as a second striker or third midfielder. Then it depends on the strategy for each game.»

(…)

«He's a different striker, the team's first defender. He reminds me of Thomas Muller. He's capable of running 12km per game.»

https://www.espn.com/soccer/portuga...ramos-replaced-ronaldo-and-nunez?platform=amp

Hard to say if he is good enough, but sounds like a player with a few traits that EtH has proved to appreciate. And it feels like EtH is a bit of function/system over ability type of coach. At the same time it do feel a bit like we would end up with a cold blood horse in a race for warmblood horses.

AneRu

Yes definitely and I can see him playing well here but I worry whether it's the best long term fit for us or worth the outlay.

To oversimplify it, I see it as a Felix and Osimhen type of complex.

Felix: Will gel massively with team going forward, in transition, help retain possession with his touch and dribbling ability to drive and turn from any part of the pitch. A scorer of good goals and has potential to become a regular goal scorer but not a penalty box scorer; his style of play would create high synergy with the rest of the team.

Osimhen: Standard hold up play, with elite off the ball running defensively and offensively. Won't necessarily help us become a better possession side but I don't feel will drastically impact us because of his other qualities (if we do end being the high press, possession dominant team ETH envisions us in the future); can play with him getting involved (in relatively more simply give and goes), can play around him because of his movement and can be direct behind the defence and in the box.

Goncalo would have to fall in the best of both worlds as he's in neither of the above player's elite ability profile. He would have to potentially become Villa mark 2 (playmaking, goal scoring and athletically very sharp) or better than a fit Martial, if he's going to be our no.9.

Both of which I have doubts on or is a bigger risk project. To be fair though, I'm not qualified at all to really comment as I've only seen his world cup performances, some games and a few highlights!
I think a striker that fits the possession game like him would be ideal for the team's overall development under ETH. Osimhen would do great things here but at why cost with regard to team chemistry? On the other hand we don't have enough goals other than from Bruno and Rashford in that forward line so he will have to contribute his fair share, as we have seen with Weghorst the team can suffer if a player in the front line is not a reliable scorer.

If we are choosing him over Osimhen then ETH will have to be sure that he can translate his goalscoring to the PL because without that we risk making another expensive attacking signing that doesn't add much to our attack. I say this because he will cost a bomb.

croadyman

I think a striker that fits the possession game like him would be ideal for the team's overall development under ETH. Osimhen would do great things here but at why cost with regard to team chemistry? On the other hand we don't have enough goals other than from Bruno and Rashford in that forward line so he will have to contribute his fair share, as we have seen with Weghorst the team can suffer if a player in the front line is not a reliable scorer.

If we are choosing him over Osimhen then ETH will have to be sure that he can translate his goalscoring to the PL because without that we risk making another expensive attacking signing that doesn't add much to our attack. I say this because he will cost a bomb.
Yeah we need more goals,only need to look at Haaland banging them in for City to see a striker with chemistry isn't necessarily important

LuckyScout78

Would him and Osimhen be possible because they are different types of strikers
Clubs that are using 2 CFs upfront with Osimhen and Ramos would be ideal. The alternative to Ramos is instead of Napoli using Kvicha as LW. Napoli could use both as CF. Osimhen as CF and Kvicha as a more free playmaker AMC/CAM.

With United it would be a luxury problem for Ten Hag buddy. United and Ten only use 1 CF upfront in a 433 or 4231. Ramos is just to good to be a super sub or rotating CF.

I will state Goncalo Ramos is good enough for any top 6 clubs in premier league. Manchester City will premier league with Goncalo Ramos as theirs regular main CF.
Not this year. Last year when Manchester City won premier league.
Goncalo Ramos > Jesus and all city false 9 alternatives. Ramos is just better than all City's CF options last season. And still City won the league.
It just tell us that City's CF are really depend on the top service he is getting from his teammates.

I believe if United and Ten Hag get a world class nr.8 and as closest as possible to the top level.

Casemiro & A world class nr.8 + Antony/Sancho - Bruno - Rashford + Ramos/Martial.

Yeah. Ramos in that United XI over whole season i believe and is 100 % convince good enough to win premier league.

The key factor and question is. Who is that super creative and world class nr.8?

Frenkie De Jong, Bellingham, Stanislav Lobotka or who?

And as a whole team improvement:

A world class beast CB + A world class nr8 + A world class CF = Manchester United good enough to win the premier league.

United and Ten Hag are 3 key and important factors and new top players away to win premier league.

daba

Clubs that are using 2 CFs upfront with Osimhen and Ramos would be ideal. The alternative to Ramos is instead of Napoli using Kvicha as LW. Napoli could use both as CF. Osimhen as CF and Kvicha as a more free playmaker AMC/CAM.

With United it would be a luxury problem for Ten Hag buddy. United and Ten only use 1 CF upfront in a 433 or 4231. Ramos is just to good to be a super sub or rotating CF.

I will state Goncalo Ramos is good enough for any top 6 clubs in premier league. Manchester City will premier league with Goncalo Ramos as theirs regular main CF.
Not this year. Last year when Manchester City won premier league.
Goncalo Ramos > Jesus and all city false 9 alternatives. Ramos is just better than all City's CF options last season. And still City won the league.
It just tell us that City's CF are really depend on the top service he is getting from his teammates.

I believe if United and Ten Hag get a world class nr.8 and as closest as possible to the top level.

Casemiro & A world class nr.8 + Antony/Sancho - Bruno - Rashford + Ramos/Martial.

Yeah. Ramos in that United XI over whole season i believe and is 100 % convince good enough to win premier league.

The key factor and question is. Who is that super creative and world class nr.8?

Frenkie De Jong, Bellingham, Stanislav Lobotka or who?

And as a whole team improvement:

A world class beast CB + A world class nr8 + A world class CF = Manchester United good enough to win the premier league.

United and Ten Hag are 3 key and important factors and new top players away to win premier league.
Kim Min-Jae + Bennacer + Ramos = Manchester Utd hood enough to win the premier league

Maybe not all in the same window, but add in a GK, RB and Casemiro back up and we’re there.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You'd think the club would be the ones keen to tie him down rather than the other way around. Haven't really been following Benfica this year like I have done some years, how is Ramos getting on?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You'd think the club would be the ones keen to tie him down rather than the other way around. Haven't really been following Benfica this year like I have done some years, how is Ramos getting on?
Very good season for him so far.

TwoSheds

Very good season for him so far.
I liked what I saw of him last year. A bit Harry Kane like in the sense that you thought "what is he really good at?" but then up he'd pop with a goal. And you certainly couldn't say he was bad at anything either, just sort of looks a bit unremarkable at times.

whitbyviking

I work with a Benfica fan and he is certain Ramos is going in the summer, apparently there is a young forward waiting in the wings who they believe to be a better talent so they aren't overly concerned.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
I liked what I saw of him last year. A bit Harry Kane like in the sense that you thought "what is he really good at?" but then up he'd pop with a goal. And you certainly couldn't say he was bad at anything either, just sort of looks a bit unremarkable at times.
Great assessment

I work with a Benfica fan and he is certain Ramos is going in the summer, apparently there is a young forward waiting in the wings who they believe to be a better talent so they aren't overly concerned.
There’s always the next big thing at Benfica. They’ve been very strong

Drizzle

Schjelderup?

Bojan Djordjic

Maybe we should sign him as our back up striker.

Abraxas

This guy looks pretty good but it's somehow unexciting. Not sure it fires me up like Osimhen or potentially Kolo Muani might. The lack of athleticism in the forward areas would worry me a bit. Bruno, Antony, Sancho, this fella. It's a bit one paced and Rashford reliant to bring that athletic quality that I think is important in the PL.

But maybe I'm reading it completely wrong and a very traditional striker that's good around the box and mostly interested in staying central like this is exactly the thing we need.

Good job ETH is the man to make the big striking decision and not me!

Rolaholic

They know they got 100m or more for the likes of Nunez, Fernandez and Felix in recent years so it's not a shock they'd try their luck at more of the same for their next good attacking talent.

The market is definitely insane though, any young talent with an ounce of potential automatically gets slapped a 50% mark up no matter what :lol: :houllier:

100m is fast becoming the new 50m when it comes to forwards and some midfielders

Last edited:

whitbyviking

Schjelderup?
The guy who is on loan at Watford and not playing: Henrique Araujo. He's apparently very highly rated by the club and they sent him out to get him some experience, and a good kicking. Apparently the Benfica coaching staff like to toughen up their players in lower divisions. He has a good scoring record in their B team at the age of 18, seems to have stalled a bit. But their plan was for him to have this season away and then come back to be in the 1st team squad.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That seems a VERY high price tag for this guy.
Inflated market.

After the Nunez, Antony, Mudryk and Ezo Fernandez deals (all from relatively financially small sides in Ajax, Donetsk and Benfica) you'll see a near 100m price tag thrown on a lot of talents as soon as one of the wealthiest sides are interested.

Also puts the prices being spoken about in relation to Kane/Osimhen into perspective.

TwoSheds

This guy looks pretty good but it's somehow unexciting. Not sure it fires me up like Osimhen or potentially Kolo Muani might. The lack of athleticism in the forward areas would worry me a bit. Bruno, Antony, Sancho, this fella. It's a bit one paced and Rashford reliant to bring that athletic quality that I think is important in the PL.

But maybe I'm reading it completely wrong and a very traditional striker that's good around the box and mostly interested in staying central like this is exactly the thing we need.

Good job ETH is the man to make the big striking decision and not me!
I know what you mean but in fairness Garnacho is also a flier and Antony and Amad aren't slouches on the other side. Plus you never know, Sancho might finally have the penny drop and realise that sometimes he's got to actually stretch the defenders. He showed decent enough pace for that Fulham goal, it's more the will to make those runs in behind that seems to be largely lacking.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Steady... that's really, really elite praise.

Is he that good?
Not That good yet but just reminds me of Benz. Otherwise he won't still be at Benfica.

I prefer a striker like him and Kane, who could start the move and get into scoring position. Just like that his vs Ukraine goal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Was he? He's good at Lyon but not out of this world good, or even showing 'generational talent"..
He was, there was so much hype when we played Lyon in 2007-08, his hold up play, ball carrying ability was so good even back then.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Was he? He's good at Lyon but not out of this world good, or even showing 'generational talent"..
His talent was evidently top class whatever his end product was. Was compared to R9 and chased by United and Madrid.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Poor mans chicharito, do not want.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Ok. My memory isn't that good then.

Looking at Ballon d'Or list, he ranked 26 in 2008 and 30 in 2009, both with 0 point. So much for "generational talent"?

Status
Not open for further replies.