Gonzalo Higuain | Chelsea Player

POF

A better way to put it would be all around technique i guess. RVP had a better shot, better coordination, similar touch and dribbling(though RVP was far more elegant), but Higuain blows him away when it comes to hold up, combinations, layoffs, vision, passing skill and range, and all around intelligence. Higuain could play pretty much whatever role you need him to play at a very high level. Something that wasn't true of RVP. Higuain's all around game is the most complete and varied of all strikers of his generation bar Suarez. That doesn't make him the second best striker of his era though
Higuain could definitely play multiple positions, often at the same time. When playing up front with his back to goal, his belly was in central midfield.

Charlie Foley

Higuain might be a fat bottler but was RVP really a big game player? He played at two world cups (getting to the final in one) and scored 1 goal in each.
RVP scores 2 goals in one game against Spain in the 2014 WC, then another against Australia, then pretty sure he scored again in the 3rd place playoff.

AgentP

What's happening here? Why is this fatty getting so overrated! I'm not at all worried about Chelsea getting him. He is 31 and has weight issues and has been on the decline for two years now. Comparing him to Van Persie is ridiculous. If it were not for injuries, RVP would be among the best strikers of this generation.

Kostur

海尔的老板
What's happening here? Why is this fatty getting so overrated! I'm not at all worried about Chelsea getting him. He is 31 and has weight issues and has been on the decline for two years now. Comparing him to Van Persie is ridiculous. If it were not for injuries, RVP would be among the best strikers of this generation.
Don't rate him half as much as the others too but I guess anything's an upgrade on Morata. He worked with Sarri too before and done well for him. I hope he'll be another Falcao type of deal though.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Hopefully will be sorted out in time for Spurs game. He has a good record against them so could be ideal first game.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This what I keep asking myself testing some of the comments here. I doubt anyone outside of England would seriously claim that van Persie was the better player.
And Higuain has been a really good striker for a significant amount of years. Robin Van Persie was probably the bigger talent but, he was only a great striker for about 3 seasons.

el3mel

Agree. Pretty weird. Seems he's the newest in overrating any rival's new signing cliche.

If we we were the ones signing him I bet our fans would have gone on riots !

Last edited:

twitter thread suggester
This is surreal.

Higuain must have been absolutely amazing in Italy for Some people to describe him as the second coming of van Basten.

I have only seen him play for Napoli/Juve/Milan a handful times, but I saw pretty much every game with him for Real and he was in no way world class back then.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Higuian had been in decline for quite some time now. If given the right service, he still score goals but apart from that he's a bit of a liability. He's one of Juventus rare mistakes

Bwuk

If he was as good as RvP there’s no way both Madrid and Juve would of punted him.

Absolute nonsense.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't know if Higuain will flop or not, its a 50/50 chance, but no way RVP had a better carreer than him. Sorry no, those who say it probably only watched RVP at United or Arsenal and think Higuain is that guy who missed goals for Argentina.

Varun

Staff
Chelsea are going to need a stadium expansion to fit the right sized Canteen for this lad.

InfiniteBoredom

I don't know if Higuain will flop or not, its a 50/50 chance, but no way RVP had a better carreer than him. Sorry no, those who say it probably only watched RVP at United or Arsenal and think Higuain is that guy who missed goals for Argentina.
Well the debate here is who is/was the better player. I think we can unanimously agree Higuain has the better career.

I think RvP’s peak as a player was higher, his last 2 seasons at Arsenal and first season at Utd were sublime from a domestic pov. In Europe and internationally, they are both flops. Higuain has been producing the goods on a more consistent basis since his early 20s though, something RvP despite the injuries couldn’t manage.

Owen06

Higuain is a good player but is anyone genuely worried about chelsea signing him?
The outcome of this deal is written in the stars for me.
Madrid sold morata to Chelsea,Chelsea in return sold courtois to Madrid.both absolute flops!
Chelsea sold Bakayoko to Milan, Milan is just returning the favor by selling them Higuain.
It's not rocket science,just the continuation of the vicious circles.

thepolice123

RVP is the most complete Dutch striker since Van Basten. Some people here are talking right out of their arses. He’s a better forward than Higauin who plays in a league where Madrid regularly puts in 100 goals a season.

pensionator

Supports
Juventus
Higuain has been the best striker in Serie A for quite some time. The decline of this season is more psychological than physical, he resented us for dumping him and rumors say he never felt Milan as a worthy side to play for.

In case you are not concerned about him going to Chelsea you better be. Especially because they have the combo Higuain AND Sarri, Sarri being the manager who was able to take out the most out of him (Higuain’s record breaking season was under Sarri).

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We don't that for sure but it really reads that way.
I don't necessarly agree one is much better than the other. Both at their peak played on a different style, different squads or leagues, so its a never ending argumentation here.
Well the debate here is who is/was the better player. I think we can unanimously agree Higuain has the better career.
Since they started their carrers until they reached 30 I would say RVP possibly had 2 best individual seasons than him, but its always difficult because RVP had more injuries during the years.
I think RvP’s peak as a player was higher, his last 2 seasons at Arsenal and first season at Utd were sublime from a domestic pov. In Europe and internationally, they are both flops. Higuain has been producing the goods on a more consistent basis since his early 20s though, something RvP despite the injuries couldn’t manage.
As I said earlier I agree with you at a certain point, but while its true RVP last season for Arsenal and first for United was absolutelly great, with the same age Higuain first season under Sarri at Napoli was equivalent to RVP.

Agree with you at International level they could have done more, but keep in mind Higuain had a much better first WC on 2010 under Maradona, while RVP first with Van Basten on 2006 was significantly worse. Which for me as a portuguese was good because they were kicked out by us. And when I say kicked I say literally for both sides on Nuremberg. :lol:

Not saying one is better, RVP was more creative, and at his best more exciting, but to say he was more complete for that role? Imo not. Anyway the only thing where it might work for him there is the fact he already worked with Sarri and is going to replace Morata, problem is that he isn't the same player as he was 3 years ago, and the league is different. Better wait and see before making judgements.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is surreal.

Higuain must have been absolutely amazing in Italy for Some people to describe him as the second coming of van Basten.

I have only seen him play for Napoli/Juve/Milan a handful times, but I saw pretty much every game with him for Real and he was in no way world class back then.
If you watched every game of him for us than you saw an incredibly well rounded, complete striker who on his day was as good as anyone, but lacked consistency. Since moving to Italy he found that consistency. He's still liable to crack under pressure though

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not saying one is better, RVP was more creative, and at his best more exciting, but to say he was more complete for that role? Imo not.
Pretty much. Not sure i'd call RVP more creative, but he certainly was more elegant and exciting to watch. Personally if i had to pick i'dgo with him. But they're pretty much the same level of player

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If you watched every game of him for us than you saw an incredibly well rounded, complete striker who on his day was as good as anyone, but lacked consistency. Since moving to Italy he found that consistency. He's still liable to crack under pressure though
Even on the 2011/12 season his output was great. People who didn't watch only will remember there was a guy who scored more then 50 goals per season, but he had a very good ratio for Madrid, keeping in mind the post Pellegrini years the attacking options were much better than anything RVP had to compete. Only my opinion of course.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Pretty much. Not sure i'd call RVP more creative, but he certainly was more elegant and exciting to watch. Personally if i had to pick i'dgo with him. But they're pretty much the same level of player
:lol: Basically we think the same, no need to say anything more.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Even on the 2011/12 season his output was great. People who didn't watch only will remember there was a guy who scored more then 50 goals per season, but he had a very good ratio for Madrid, keeping in mind the post Pellegrini years the attacking options were much better than anything RVP had to compete. Only my opinion of course.
I remember that he was high rated already before he left Madrid, yeah. He was also rumored to come to Bayern for some time.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I remember that he was high rated already before he left Madrid, yeah. He was also rumored to come to Bayern for some time.
Yes he was highly rated on Argentina, played for River, probably Bayern was scouting him during that period where they started to invest on players like Ribery, Luca Toni, Klose, latter Robben.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Higuain has been the best striker in Serie A for quite some time. The decline of this season is more psychological than physical, he resented us for dumping him and rumors say he never felt Milan as a worthy side to play for.

In case you are not concerned about him going to Chelsea you better be. Especially because they have the combo Higuain AND Sarri, Sarri being the manager who was able to take out the most out of him (Higuain’s record breaking season was under Sarri).

Not fecking hard is it?

A 90 year old Fabio Quagliarella has 12 goals in the league this season. I swear Luca fecking Toni was scoring goals in Italy not that long ago. It's the best place to be for over the hill strikers because they can still look quality, such is the pace of the league.

Doesn't mean sweet FA when going to a different league. Immobile was top scorer in Serie A last season but couldn't buy a goal in Spain or Germany. Higuain might well do it but at his age, having spent a long part of his latter career in Italy? Can't say I'm panicking too much.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Not fecking hard is it?

A 90 year old Fabio Quagliarella has 12 goals in the league this season. I swear Luca fecking Toni was scoring goals in Italy not that long ago. It's the best place to be for over the hill strikers because they can still look quality, such is the pace of the league.

Doesn't mean sweet FA when going to a different league. Immobile was top scorer in Serie A last season but couldn't buy a goal in Spain or Germany. Higuain might well do it but at his age, having spent a long part of his latter career in Italy? Can't say I'm panicking too much.
The same way as I can say Salah has better numbers for Liverpool than he had for Roma or Fiorentina.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The same way as I can say Salah has better numbers for Liverpool than he had for Roma or Fiorentina.
He was still good in Italy, and Liverpool are a better side than Roma. Salah was improving season after season as a player.

It's not the same as Immobile turning in to Bendtner the minute he steps out of the country, or strikers heading towards their 40's regularly featuring in the top scorers list.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Not fecking hard is it?

Hmmm

Guess he should probably have scored the second penalty as well in the first leg to be fair. If he's signing assuming Hazard will still be on pen duty.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Hmmm

Guess he should probably have scored the second penalty as well in the first leg to be fair. If he's signing assuming Hazard will still be on pen duty.

Yeah, he was good against us, I've already said this.

Massive difference between playing in the CL in a two legged tie, and the league for half a season. Him scoring a couple of goals vs us last year in the CL doesn't = he will be a success in the premier league. It's a year on and his career has been on a downward turn since.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He was still good in Italy, and Liverpool are a better side than Roma. Salah was improving season after season as a player.

It's not the same as Immobile turning in to Bendtner the minute he steps out of the country, or strikers heading towards their 40's regularly featuring in the top scorers list.
He was. As Auba is doing the same numbers he had for Dortmund. Not saying I don't agree on Immobile, but prime Higuain (which is not the case now), don't have nothing to do with Immobile.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He was. As Auba is doing the same numbers he had for Dortmund. Not saying I don't agree on Immobile, but prime Higuain (which is not the case now), don't have nothing to do with Immobile.
Auba is suited to the Premier League. So is Salah. Different leagues often require different attributes to succeed, the type of striker who can bag goals in Italy won't necessarily bag in England.

Prime Higuain would score in England, I don't think anybody would argue with that. The question is will current Higuain be successful, and we'll see about that.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Auba is suited to the Premier League. So is Salah. Different leagues often require different attributes to succeed, the type of striker who can bag goals in Italy won't necessarily bag in England.

Prime Higuain would score in England, I don't think anybody would argue with that. The question is will current Higuain be successful, and we'll see about that.
I am not saying he will, because he isn't at his prime, the only advantage he has is the fact he worked under Sarri.

OutlawGER

Supports
Yes he was highly rated on Argentina, played for River, probably Bayern was scouting him during that period where they started to invest on players like Ribery, Luca Toni, Klose, latter Robben.
A transfer from Madrid to Bayern was hugely rumored too. I don't remember which year it was. 2011/2012 or so maybe. I believe it was 1 year before he moved to Napoli.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
If he was as good as RvP there’s no way both Madrid and Juve would of punted him.

Absolute nonsense.
Yeah, I am sure if we had Van Persie we would have told Ronaldo to feck off. :lol: Ronaldo is the reason, we had to get rid off Higuain. It does not say anything about his quality other than that he is not Ronaldo. Van Persie would have been forced out as well.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
A transfer from Madrid to Bayern was hugely rumored too. I don't remember which year it was. 2011/2012 or so maybe. I believe it was 1 year before he moved to Napoli.
Ah ok, thought you were mentioning when he was on Argentina. It was a good option but Lewa worked well I guess.

OutlawGER

Supports
Ah ok, thought you were mentioning when he was on Argentina. It was a good option but Lewa worked well I guess.
I remember a (rumored) quote of him saying in Madrids dressing room to his teammates: "I'll go to Bayern and be their superstar". Well in the end Bayern didn't want to sign him anymore because he did not good for Real and we signed Mandzukic/Lewandowski instead.