Good but less known players from the 90s / early 2000s?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What was the name of the left-winger in that Valencia team? Quick as lightning and had an excellent cross.
It was iconic team...will have a go at naming it now....Canizares, Angloma, Ayala, Pellegrino, Carboni, Gerard Lopez, Farinos, Mendieta, Baraja, Aimar, Claudio Lopez. That was generally their team from 98-2001 anyway, fantastic mix of youth in midfield and hard as nails defence, a little similar to how Atletico Madrid lined up in last five years.

Edit: Aimar only joined in Feb 2011 so should put Kily in given someone named him above!

Gustavo Lopez at Celta Vigo around that time was also a good winger and Argentine but he never quite made step up at club level Kily did. Celta Vigo was also a factory for fantastic creative players around that time with Mostovoi and Karpin, golden age for La Liga.

CosmoKramer

Supports
FC Barcelona
Adrian Ilie, Savio, Munitis, Etxeberria, Julen Guerrero, Mostovoi, Karpin, Fran

Yeah, I followed La Liga religiously in that period.

Bokito

Does anybody remeber Glenn Helder? Played at Arsenal, rather entertainingly, at the time when it still was “boring Arsenal”. After his career he went completely downhill, with gambling, crime, bankrupcy and whatnot.

Denis79

It was iconic team...will have a go at naming it now....Canizares, Angloma, Ayala, Pellegrino, Carboni, Gerard Lopez, Farinos, Mendieta, Baraja, Aimar, Claudio Lopez. That was generally their team from 98-2001 anyway, fantastic mix of youth in midfield and hard as nails defence, a little similar to how Atletico Madrid lined up in last five years.
Remember I really wanted them to beat Bayern in a CL final. Excellent team.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Igor Protti and Dario Hübner. Not many seem to remember either of them but they still remain the only players to finish as the Top Scorers in Serie C, Serie B and Serie A.

'90s and early to mid 2000s Serie A is full of underrated strikers like them, Lucarelli, Chevantón, Delvecchio...

Nihat, Vicente, Penev for La Liga in the same-ish period.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Darren Huckerby
Mark Viduka
Ian Harte
Michael Bridges
David Batty
Olivier Dacourt
Paulo Wanchope
Shaun Goater
Jesper Gronkjær
Boudewijn Zenden
Celestine Babayaro
Mario Melchiot
Marian Pahars
Claus Lundekvam

Basically half of Leeds. Also 90s & 2000s football was far more enjoyable than the current one.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Marek Citko, the best Polish talent I've ever seen (including Lewandowski). His career was cut short because of nasty injury he suffered and off-field shenanigans of his employers. Blackburn offered mega money (relatively) for him when they were champions of England.

Here's his goal against Atletico in UCL:

Was man of the match in England vs Poland at Wembley, too.

Champagne Football

None of them were lesser known stars to anyonr who liked 90s football.
The question asks 'Who were the Son's, Zaha's, Vardy's, Maguire's from those days?'

I dunno but those are pretty big names if you ask me, even if they are a level below Pogba, Salah, Hazard, De Bruyne etc in recognition. I guess we interpreted the question differently.

Tomuś

Preki was one to watch out for too, I think someone mentioned Darren Anderson - scored some belters! Villa were quite a decent team too, we had some fab games. Robert Warzycha is a (probably missspelt) name that seems to jump out of the mind too...
It's perfectly correct, and nice to see him recognized.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Igor Protti and Dario Hübner. Not many seem to remember either of them but they still remain the only players to finish as the Top Scorers in Serie C, Serie B and Serie A.

'90s and early to mid 2000s Serie A is full of underrated strikers like them, Lucarelli, Chevantón, Delvecchio...

Hubner played and was still scoring in Serie A at pretty much 40 IIRC, he was the go to striker for many clubs threatened by relegation in later part of his career.

Great shout on Nihat! Had a fantastic partnership with Darko Kovacevic when La Real nearly won the league in 2003, proper little and large combination. He was also scoring loads at Villareal but then got bad injury and not the same afterwards.

Love threads like this, could talk about late 90s/early 00s La Liga for rest of the evening, I agree the major leagues today are far more boring with lack of variety.

freeurmind

weak willed

Hubner was fantastic

Web of Bissaka

Good names so far, so nostalgic.

Gareth Southgate
Noberto Solano
Mark Viduka
Kanu
JJ Okocha
LuaLua
Danny Mills?
Akwe- something forgot the name. Maybe I remember wrongly.
Wanchope?
Huckerby?
Vicente?
Steven Taylor? That Newcastle english CB.

Kevin Nolan
Stewart Downing
(maybe these two are more mid 2000s than early)

:drool: Great thread mate, kudos to OP.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
@Tomus

Would put in Emmanuel Olisadebe. Half Polish so paid attention to this when in 2000 he became first black player to play for Poland and all the fuss it caused. He had a really good scoring run in 2002 qualifiers but then flopped a bit at 2002 world cup and then faded out of contention.

thepolice123

The newcastle team of the early 00s that went into the CL had some pretty good players.

Laurent Robert
Solano
Bellamy
Dyer

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They were all, to a man, legitimately shit
Nah man they were good players but not great players. Mabbutt was very underrated and fergie wanted to buy him

Peter ndlovu brother Adam was in trial at united

Nii lamptey had much potential

Jezpeza

Nadir belhadj at Portsmouth. Looked a quality left back and had skills. Seemed he vanished

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Lots of names being mentioned that I didn't know about. Cheers!

pacifictheme

The question asks 'Who were the Son's, Zaha's, Vardy's, Maguire's from those days?'

I dunno but those are pretty big names if you ask me, even if they are a level below Pogba, Salah, Hazard, De Bruyne etc in recognition. I guess we interpreted the question differently.
Yeah true. I was much more into football then than now so i co sider those plauers huge but you're probably right. All great players as well. Ginola did win player of the season in 1999 so hes probably more akin to the names you mentioned than the others.

Tomuś

@Tomus

Would put in Emmanuel Olisadebe. Half Polish so paid attention to this when in 2000 he became first black player to play for Poland and all the fuss it caused. He had a really good scoring run in 2002 qualifiers but then flopped a bit at 2002 world cup and then faded out of contention.
Was fantastic in the qualifiers, yes. Everybody I know here have fantastic memories of him. I won't blame him for 2002 WC as there were reports of our other players going on the booze and being barely able to play the games. It's still a big talking point here in Poland as we did have a great momentum going to the tournament.

Tomuś

Haha cheers mate! I can’t even remember who he played for tbh!
You know him from Everton most likely. Thinking about this, I don't know if you're not mistaking him with Krzysztof Warzycha, who was a very good player and definitely more widely recognized.

Ramos

Diego Fuser

Mainstay at the Italian top during the entire nineties (mainly Lazio and Parma). Won almost everything at club level (EC1 and 3, Coppa, Serie A, Club WC, Super cup).

Don't think a lot of fans from the current gen have heard of him.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Dean Holdsworth, a tricky number 10 and Robbie Earle a great box to box midfielder. Both were enormous for us in the 90s. Clip of them both destroying title challengers Blackburn 4-1 in 1994:

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Johan Micoud
Marcio Amoroso
Edmilson
Carlos Gamarra
Walter Pandiani
Matias Almeyda
Cristian Panucci
Ariel Ibagaza
Serginho
Emerson

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Chris Perry was an underrated CB aswell, think he was close to England cap on a few occasions but never got one.

Jason Euell did well at Wimbledon and then at Charlton for a few seasons.
Euell had one good season followed by 2 poor ones as the main striker. Can't really comment on his season in the Championship because I spent more time protesting than going to games, but he scored 19 so not too shabby. Didn't really rate him and was a downgrade on our previous strikers Ekoku, Gayle and Fashanu.

Chris Perry is a good shout though.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Carboni perhaps from that god Valencia team of late 90s early 00s. Was a very good defender for him but can't remember him getting any Italy caps at that point although he might've been well over 30.
Well him and Angloma were well into their mid-30s by the time they got their greatest recognition at Valencia. Carboni was rock solid though and, had he not been the same age, position and nationality as Maldini, could have had many, many more caps. To be fair Italy had a number of solid and relatively unheralded full-backs around that time, most of them pretty adept on both flanks - Benarrivo, Pessotto, Torricelli, Mussi.

K13

Rob Jones at Liverpool was probably one of the best right backs around in the 90's - injuries curtailed alot of his promise