Good Luck Mike Smallenbauer

Andy_Cole

He can leave us with his head held high. After De Gae, our best player since 2013.

He has stayed pretty fit the last few years, done a great job. Yes we need to improve on him but unlike the other deadwood, rather than picking up a paycheque he’s decided to leave to play football.

Really hope he’s a success for Roma and plays for England again.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Good defender. I never came to look at him with contempt the way I have with some of his colleagues. I wish him well, while knowing we’ll all forget about him quick enough.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I wish Ole had tried to persuade him to stay as backup, as I imagine Fergie would have, but I can't begrudge Smalling wanting to play. He's decent on his day. That Zlatanesque volley is etched into my memory.

Varun

Staff
Good defender. I never came to look at him with contempt the way I have with some of his colleagues. I wish him well, while knowing we’ll all forget about him quick enough.
Same.

AgentP

He's a player who can leave with his head held high. He gave his all and played to the best of his abilities.

Aboutreika18

Aye, I can't understand people on here who seem to treat him with the same disdain as our other flops/deadwood.

He's always been a reliable, consistent performer for us and there shouldn't be revisionism just because we've upgraded on him.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I think Chris seem like a good guy. Would have loved to keep him if he was actually good on the ball.
Hopefully he can learn something in Italy and come back a better player. If not then I hope he has a good end of his career someplace else.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I wish Ole had tried to persuade him to stay as backup, as I imagine Fergie would have, but I can't begrudge Smalling wanting to play. He's decent on his day. That Zlatanesque volley is etched into my memory.
Did he push for the move for game time? I assumed Ole had put him at the bottom of the pecking order since he's the most limited with the ball.

I'd rather he was backup over Rojo, Jones and Bailly, at least for this season, but if he wasn't up for that then fair enough.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I don't hate Smalling. Its simply the case that he can't give us what we need him to. He's not that leader defender who can command the youngsters around him, and the likes of Tuanzebe coming through. He had to leave but I don't dislike him. Hope he does well over there and that they, or another Serie A club, are impressed enough to buy him next June.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If only he could pass a football, he’d be starting for us. Never had an issue with him, and he’d shaken off his reputation of being a sick note in recent seasons. Was never going to accept being 4th choice though, and nor should he. Hopefully he smashes it at Roma.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Disappointed that he's leaving before the other defenders. Was a pretty consistent CB capable of matching very good strikers. I would've thought he'd be the perfect option against a more physical team where Lidelof would struggle, or as a backup for Maguire's heading power.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Good luck, Chris.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Did he push for the move for game time? I assumed Ole had put him at the bottom of the pecking order since he's the most limited with the ball.

I'd rather he was backup over Rojo, Jones and Bailly, at least for this season, but if he wasn't up for that then fair enough.
Ole mentioned in the press conference about having a discussion with him and not being able to promise him game time.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Still our 2nd best centre back. Good luck Chris! Definitely got an unfair rough ride from the fan base.

Walters_19_MuFc

Quite shocked that he's been allowed to go, but I think had Rojo been sold and Bailly not picked up the injury, Smalling be still here.

That said, it means Tuanzebe now has an opportunity, and he will get one, to step up when given the chance. He could cement his place in the starting XI if he does well.

Charlie Foley

Always preferred him to Jones and Rojo personally. Can see why it was easier to find him a club than it was either of them...good luck to him.

Overall I’m glad to see ole taking action and releasing players even if there are a couple (Smalling, Herrera) who aren’t the first names in those positions I would see go (but again can see why they’re the ones going...) personally I will be patient this season if we see a clear identify and style of play develop, youth given a chance and a proper recruiting strategy down the line. No more square pegs in round holes/ Alexis Sanchez.

RedCurry

Ole knows what he wants from a player. The problem I see with Smalling's departure is that if Maguire gets injured, we no defenders who can win an aerial challenge. That's suicidal for a team in PL.

Ekeke

What happens if Roma do really well and we don't have a good defensive record?

Roma came 6th last season, so lets say they come 3rd or 4th with a good defensive record. Meanwhile we stay 5th or 6th with a poor defensive record?

It might not go that way of course. But I'd be interested to see the reactions if it does

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
By far our best defender after Maguire and Lindelof (pretty even steven there, too). I don't know what Ole's smoking thinking our other options are good enough come injuries. Unless Smalling was adamant he wants to go.

edcunited1878

Ole knows what he wants from a player. The problem I see with Smalling's departure is that if Maguire gets injured, we no defenders who can win an aerial challenge. That's suicidal for a team in PL.
It is what it is. Need to rely on Rojo and Jones to pair up with Tuanzebe in cup games. And the more cup games for United, the more match time for the young players.

edcunited1878

Serious question, could one of the reasons we've got rid of him be to do with the introduction of VAR in the Premiership? Looking at the way he defends corners, we'd concede a penalty every other week.
No. Other defenders grab and jostle. And the people overseeing VAR are complete idiots to begin with.

LJJT

All the best to him he’s been a good servant to us. Very good old fashioned defender, the modern game has caught up with his style of play sadly for him. Being a good defender just isn’t enough now, if you can’t pass well and play out with the ball. Think his lack of academy schooling at a football club has cost him long term. Good player for us though and a good lad.