Graeme Sourness | Retires from “punditry”

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Between Evra and his Moyes' daughter comments and Graemes 1981 take on Latino attitudes to diving, Sky will be yearning for big Ron Atkinson before long.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How is that not racist?
I guess for me it's because he's speaking about a footballing trait within a certain culture of players, he's not talking about the Latin people beyond sports. Back in the 90's, Italians were the big culprits around Europe when it came to diving, but is it racist to bring up that Italians were divers? I think it was more ignorant, than racist, because he's trying to act as if British people don't dive either. They dive less in general than in South America for example, there is more shame in British culture associated with diving to get somebody sent off than there is in some other places, so I don't think he's wrong in that. But when you start asking whether you want that in your British league (which has gotten as popular as it has in part through that injection of South American players), it goes a bit over the line. If you find it racist, I'm fine with it, I'm just not sure I agree.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
I guess for me it's because he's speaking about a footballing trait within a certain culture of players, he's not talking about the Latin people beyond sports. Back in the 90's, Italians were the big culprits around Europe when it came to diving, but is it racist to bring up that Italians were divers? I think it was more ignorant, than racist, because he's trying to act as if British people don't dive either. They dive less in general than in South America for example, there is more shame in British culture associated with diving to get somebody sent off than there is in some other places, so I don't think he's wrong in that. But when you start asking whether you want that in your British league (which has gotten as popular as it has in part through that injection of South American players), it goes a bit over the line. If you find it racist, I'm fine with it, I'm just not sure I agree.
The problem with Souness is that he's not basing it on anything other than a gut feeling which is what he always does. In his head he feels like the foruners dive more and English players don't with no real evidence to back it up. Just stereotypes. Lamela was just confirmation bias.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Please tell me someone has clipped up Carragher's response to Souness there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Surely Souness isn’t moaning about bad tackles?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Carragher is hardly one to talk either. Nani, for instance.
Carragher has admitted he was out of order in that tackle. He admitted those t shirts for Suarez were a terrible idea. He's just picked up on a Liverpool hero for his hypocrisy.

He's actually a pretty reasoned pundit.

He reminds me a bit of G Nev that rivals start liking them more, but their own fan base get infuriated with them!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Carragher has aged a lot during Covid. Looks rough as twenty.

Aside, but I thought your voice was meant to get deeper as you got older.
Who can forget his first interview in the 90s where everyone came away thinking, what the hell was that, was it english, was it human!?
He's eased his accent down a little :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
Carragher has admitted he was out of order in that tackle. He admitted those t shirts for Suarez were a terrible idea. He's just picked up on a Liverpool hero for his hypocrisy.

He's actually a pretty reasoned pundit.

He reminds me a bit of G Nev that rivals start liking them more, but their own fan base get infuriated with them!

Or he remembered he is an Everton fan again

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Considering he believes Messi is the best of all time, that’s high praise.

Is that taken out of context?

I think Haaland could win a ballon d'or in the future but I can't see him becoming Messi Super Saiyan God.
he’s the closest player out there to get anywhere near the sort of goals Messi has scored, so I suppose it’s how you judge a player? Clearly nowhere near as talented.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
he’s the closest player out there to get anywhere near the sort of goals Messi has scored, so I suppose it’s how you judge a player? Clearly nowhere near as talented.
It's also an unrealistic standard to hold a player to as I don't think many human beings have ever been born with Messi's natural talent. I know it's overused, but Messi really is a generational player like Pele and Maradona.

Neymar has bags of talent but has spent his career in the shadows of Messi and Ronaldo, perhaps players like Mbappe and Haaland will have more chance to shine.

Zoo

Is that taken out of context?

I think Haaland could win a ballon d'or in the future but I can't see him becoming Messi Super Saiyan God.
Don’t think so. He also claims that Haaland is way ahead of Mbappe which is more bollox

RoyH1

Souness needs to lay off the sauce. Haaland is a great talent and will be a memorable player, but Messi is off the charts.

mu4c_20le

I prefer it when he took random shots at Pogba. Think he was actually being himself today