Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

ArmaDino

The only positive I can see from this is that everyone has zero or below zero expectations of Potter. So if he manages to achieve something, it will be viewed as a huge success.

If not, I don't think a lot of our fans will lose any sleep over this.

You really think Ratcliffe will have a say/veto on the transfers? He has a team and a setup for that, that analyses which players are a fit and I very much doubt a criteria or a skill is "british".

As a business man, you'd think he understands the value of listening to experts instead of interfering too much. I don't think you get to his spot if you don't listen to experts much.
When he first joined Nice, he signed a lot of bang average past it British players on inflated wages(sound familiar?) before they realized that this approach won't work and had to move them.

According to reports he is interested in "creating a British core" in our team. Even the manager that we are linked to replace ETH is British.

ROFLUTION

The only positive I can see from this is that everyone has zero or below zero expectations of Potter. So if he manages to achieve something, it will be viewed as a huge success.

If not, I don't think a lot of our fans will lose any sleep over this.

When he first joined Nice, he signed a lot of bang average past it British players on inflated wages(sound familiar?) before they realized that this approach won't work and had to move them.

According to reports he is interested in "creating a British core" in our team. Even the manager that we are linked to replace ETH is British.
No he didn't? Take a look at all seasons since 19' when he took over. 2 english players out of maybe 100 ins and outs.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ogc...417/plus/?saison_id=2020&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Rojofiam

Exactly what I'd expect from Ratcliffe. I imagine he'd be in, asking with a load of bang average British players to go alongside Maguire, Rashford, McTominay and pals.
Exactly. I have a feeling the likes of Rashford, Maguire, Mount will become practically untouchable under Ratcliffe. Proper English lads and all that.

God forbid!
The Daily Mail and similar trash papers write these "Brexit FC" types of stories for fans like you. They know what a certain section of the fan base will be riled up by and it's easy clicks for them.

gajender

The Daily Mail and similar trash papers write these "Brexit FC" type of stories for fans like you. They know what a certain section of the fan base will be riled up by and it's easy clicks for them.
And honestly what's wrong in targeting best of British talent when English football in terms of producing talent is second to none as things stand right now.

Revaulx

I quite like Potter, but surely he’s the sort of manager/coach you’d think about after you’ve sorted out your recruitment etc.

I don’t think his spell at Chelsea was the shambles some like to portray it as. They played ok football, looked pretty solid and were generally in control of games. They couldn’t score for toffee though. Things actually weren’t that different than they had been during his “successful” stint at Brighton.

Maybe he was just unlucky with crap forwards at both Brighton and Chelsea? He’s done nothing to suggest he can suddenly rock up at United and get our hopeless lot banging ‘em in though.

Orange Tree

Knew we are going to be linked with him as soon as Ratcliffe is in.

As interim, maybe. It can't get any worse.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I think that Potter has been vindicated a little considering how poorly Poch has done and how Brighton are struggling a little bit this season but I'd be wary if I were him about jumping into another job where the club is a mess.

He's not a bad manager but sometimes it's best to be patient as a few bad career moves can unfortunately ruin the rep you've worked so hard to build up.
Must take issue with that.

We qualified from the group stages of the Europa League in our first ever season, and if we win tonight we top the group.

We are currently 8th in the League, 4 points off 5th, despite selling roughly £220m of players (Caicedo £100m, Cucurella £60m, Trossard £30m, MacAllister £30m) in the last 18 months including our entire central midfield.

On top of that, we have an injury struck squad of many first team regulars;

March (season)
Estupinan
Welbeck
Fati
Lamptey
Enciso
Webster

I said at the start of the season top ten in the league and reaching the knockout stages of Europa would be a good season - we’re doing great in my opinion.

Rojofiam

And honestly what's wrong in targeting best of British talent when English football in terms of producing talent is second to none as things stand right now.
I agree and even if England wouldn't be having a potential golden generation right now, I'd still want United to target elite British talent. Just this summer alone, if we got one of Kane, Rice or Bellingham we would be better off than we are currently.

I think most people that are scared by these narratives believe that we will overpay for average players.

Telsim

The Daily Mail and similar trash papers write these "Brexit FC" types of stories for fans like you. They know what a certain section of the fan base will be riled up by and it's easy clicks for them.
What I said has nothing to do with what The Daily Mail writes. The man's Brexit leanings are a matter of fact. His press release was about "putting the Manchester back in Manchester United". And sure, if he plans to buy and sell on merit alone, that's fine. That is where my doubt lies, irrelevant of what any paper says.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
As long as he isn't a con artist like some of our recent managers, i will be happy.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I do wonder what Potter is actually capable of. When he was at Brighton, he was very high on my list of managers who deserved a crack at one of the top jobs. His time at Chelsea was nothing short of a disaster, but then Lampard and Poch couldn't get much out of those players either, so who knows really?
Two of the greatest. :rolleyes:
I think plucky underdog punching above their weight is his level. Brighton suited him perfectly in the PL, he was a fool to go to Chelsea. I said similar at the time.
It was a similar story at Midgetland making waves in the Europa.
Managing an unwieldy behemoth like Chelsea/United is a totally different task, and I think it’s beyond him. He is Moyes level and United need Elite to turn thinks around.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Must take issue with that.

We qualified from the group stages of the Europa League in our first ever season, and if we win tonight we top the group.

We are currently 8th in the League, 4 points off 5th, despite selling roughly £220m of players (Caicedo £100m, Cucurella £60m, Trossard £30m, MacAllister £30m) in the last 18 months including our entire central midfield.

On top of that, we have an injury struck squad of many first team regulars;

March (season)
Estupinan
Welbeck
Fati
Lamptey
Enciso
Webster

I said at the start of the season top ten in the league and reaching the knockout stages of Europa would be a good season - we’re doing great in my opinion.
I think you're doing okay but you've had a below par couple of months in the league I'd say with only 2 wins in your last 10 games and I'd argue that's showing signs of struggling!

Started the season excellently so it's probably the European football catching up with you a bit but we will have to see how it pans out further in the season.

Either way, Potter started last season with you well too and the revisionism of him not being a good manager or not being one of the most sought after on here is a bit weird.

Rojofiam

What I said has nothing to do with what The Daily Mail writes. The man's Brexit leanings are a matter of fact. His press release was about "putting the Manchester back in Manchester United". And sure, if he plans to buy and sell on merit alone, that's fine. That is where my doubt lies, irrelevant of what any paper says.
I think he plans to appoint a sporting director and avoid making decisions related to our transfer policy. That's what he did at Nice after a lot of initial mistakes and it has worked out well.

Rojofiam

Think I must be the only person who would absolutely love Potter as manager.
I don't want him, but I think he could be decent since Ineos would likely properly back him and protect him over any player, etc.

I don't see him winning a PL / CL for us, though, so why bother with him...and he doesn't seem too charismatic either, just like ten Hag. If we bin ETH let's get someone really good IMO.

Abraxas

His period at Chelsea was bizarre. Not sure he was actually that bad in terms of football played, Chelsea seemed to create tons of opportunities, they were a better watch than under Poch that's for sure.

But you simply can't get results like that, and you have to handle the media with more gravitas than that. Doesn't scream big club manager.

Telsim

I think he plans to appoint a sporting director and avoid making decisions related to our transfer policy. That's what he did at Nice after a lot of initial mistakes and it has worked out well.
It is not unreasonable to assume he would be more involved here. For one, it's Manchester United, an English club he has desired to own for some time. And second, he isn't the sole owner. Not even the majority one, in fact. No doubt the Glazers will require a degree of contending with. There were already reports from somewhat decent sources Ratcliffe has proposed a football committee consisting of himself, Brailsford, and Joel Glazer. Not exactly an outrageous proposal given the situation. That would be enough involvement to have his own biases and desires come through. And I'm personally having a difficult time imagining him disposing of Rashford and Mount, for example. More power to him if he does, but I just can't see it happening.

laughtersassassin

There isn't many great choices available. So if we go Potter I'll of course back him.

Don't give him a long term contract though because we are gonna have to pay ETH like 15 million. Don't want to be stuck in that situation for Potter.

2 year contract should be what we try to agree for him with an option of another by the club n

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not for me, Clive.

Looked like a rabbit in headlights at Chelsea. Has nothing to him that players will go out of their way to respect.

Bondi77

Not so long ago Potter would have been rated a better coach than Eddie Howe......just saying.

Rojofiam

It is not unreasonable to assume he would be more involved here. For one, it's Manchester United, an English club he has desired to own for some time. And second, he isn't the sole owner. Not even the majority one, in fact. No doubt the Glazers will require a degree of contending with. There were already reports from somewhat decent sources Ratcliffe has proposed a football committee consisting of himself, Brailsford, and Joel Glazer. Not exactly an outrageous proposal given the situation. That would be enough involvement to have his own biases and desires come through. And I'm personally having a difficult time imagining him disposing of Rashford and Mount, for example. More power to him if he does, but I just can't see it happening.
I think that committee's purpose is for Ineos to have a 2-to-1 voting power on footballing decisions. We'll see, though.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Not for me, Clive.

Looked like a rabbit in headlights at Chelsea. Has nothing to him that players will go out of their way to respect.
Yep. These dogshit players would eat him alive if he takes up the job.

pascell

It would be typical of United that we hire a manager who's previous two teams have struggled to score goals, when we're struggling to score goals and then we end up sacking him in two years because we haven't scored enough goals.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The problem for Potter would be that he would be walking into another shit show and I'm not sure throwing him to the proverbial lions who have let down so many managers is the right thing to do.

The other problem is that his teams have struggled to score goals and we also do the same, we might be easier on the eye but we need some goals.

If there is an actual plan behind him though it might at least steady the ship, if we get players in that suit his style and work towards that we won't look a patchwork team. But that goes for any manager we get.

Dan_F

If you’re going to hire a Brighton manager, surely you hire the one that was better?