Graham Potter | turns down Ajax job

Reezy

Supports
Chelsea
Shame it never worked out with us really, but I don’t think he ever had the right mentality to manage a club of our size. He didn’t have the CV either, which it seemed the players held against him to an extent. Both of those issues can be solved with experience, though.

That said, he was on a hiding to nothing - any manager would’ve struggled under the same circumstances last season, so I do feel for him. Certainly don’t wish him any ill will.

With all due respect to Palace, if I were him I’d probably hold out a bit longer and see what comes up. I actually think he’d do a job at Spurs if given the time, but I doubt Levy would risk the backlash he’d get by appointing him.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Ex-Brighton man at Palace? The fans will not like that!
Spurs fans welcomed ex-Chelsea managers with open arms. Most fans don't care about the manager's ex-clubs as long as they are a proven upgrade on the previous boss. The only instances where they hold their past against them is when they're a significant downgrade: see Brucey at Newcastle.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Spurs fans welcomed ex-Chelsea managers with open arms. Most fans don't care about the manager's ex-clubs as long as they are a proven upgrade on the previous boss. The only instances where they hold their past against them is when they're a significant downgrade: see Brucey at Newcastle.
and vice versa!

Oldyella

Would be a smart move for Palace. He's shown he can overachieve at a medium sized club with a limited budget. Might even make Palace an exciting team to watch for the first time in recent memory.
Palace aren't a bad side to watch now. Plenty of flair in their team.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Palace aren't a bad side to watch now. Plenty of flair in their team.
Under Vieira they ceded possession in most games and could barely muster a shot on target in his final weeks in charge. I've never enjoyed watching a Roy Hodgson team either. No doubt they have some skilful attacking players in Eze, Olise and Zaha, which is why I think they have the potential to be an exciting watch under a progressive manager.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think Potter will do well at Palace, Ajax or wherever and probably surprise a lot of people...

Lecland07

Would be good for Crystal Palace. but there also seems to be talk of Nice going for him.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It barely even seems like a rivalry.
That’s like saying Man Utd Liverpool hardly feels like a rivalry

I think Potter will do well at Palace, Ajax or wherever and probably surprise a lot of people...
No surprise for me, I think he’s an excellent manager, Chelsea/Boelhy made his life very difficult and were silly to sack him.

He’ll do well wherever he goes, I just hope it’s not Palace, that feels very wrong.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I hope that he puts in a release clause for England.

Southgate will (hopefully) leave after eng fail at the Euro's.

Brophs

The One and Only
With respect to Palace, he should be holding on for a bigger job. The Chelsea job is an easily explained blip.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Would be a coup for Palace if they can convince him to join, especially because of the ‘rivalry’ between Brighton and Palace.

Both sets of fans seem to love Glen Murray who played for both teams though, so whatever.

Although I think the Brighton fans were not happy with the way he left the club, so perhaps he already burnt his bridges anyway.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
The thing about Glen Murray is both brighton and palace were stupid to let him go. So he was always a coup rather than a reject.

Potter, unlike that waste of carbon Mullery, has never been rude about Palace.

Im ambivalent about Potter as a manager.
His Brighton's flaw was finishing, and that’s the current Palace weakness as well.

His Brightonosity would be a multiplier for the fans. It’d make victories sweeter and defeats bitterer.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Potter isn't that special, Brighton is just an extremely well-run club all around.

ManRed

Chelsea was a terrible choice with the new ownership and the way they went with Tuchel sacking and signings.

But then it was Chelsea afterall and its difficult to turn such a top club. He will do well with Palace if they can manage to get him.

Hughes35

Would be a smart move for Palace. He's shown he can overachieve at a medium sized club with a limited budget. Might even make Palace an exciting team to watch for the first time in recent memory.
I'm actually not sure he has. Did he really overachieve when the manager that came in after him has done better?

Good move for them. He's a lot better than his Chelsea stint and they have some half decent talent there for him to work with. He could get them playing some good football and it's good to join now and have a full summer to bed in.

Hughes35

You could argue that he laid the ground work for what was to come
You could also argue that foundation was set by Chris Houghton.......

Houghton got them promoted and then finished 15th / 17th. Potter then finished 15th / 16th / 9th.

I like Potter, seems a good guy but the jury is still out. It would not surprise me in the slightest if he failed at Palace (Also wouldn't be amazed if he did a decent job).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm actually not sure he has. Did he really overachieve when the manager that came in after him has done better?
Yes. He finished 9th with them, taking them away from the perennial relegation battles they had previously and started the season very well before De Zerbi took over. A lot of what De Zerbi has done has been built on the Potter and Brighton foundation. It's been tweaked and made better but that doesn't take away from the excellent work Potter did.

justsomebloke

I hope successful Brighton managers joining Chelsea doesn't become a Thing that People Expect to Happen. Smaller clubs should be allowed to develop and progress without fear of having their staff lured away to prop up underperforming giants. I say 'Brighton/Chelsea' but this applies across the board. Surely the disastrous Super League plans have told us that there are far too many entitled Big Clubs out there and that this needs to stop.
It won't, and there's no way of making it. Just like young players who show they're great at a smaller club will always move to a bigger one if they get the chance, the same will always hold for managers.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Houghton got them promoted and then finished 15th / 17th. Potter then finished 15th / 16th / 9th.

I like Potter, seems a good guy but the jury is still out. It would not surprise me in the slightest if he failed at Palace (Also wouldn't be amazed if he did a decent job).
Houghton's playing style was proper Burnley/Stoke one, Potter changed the way they played completely and the next manager built on what Potter built there (ofcourse along with Brighton's staff)

justsomebloke

Come on. Since Potter took over Brighton has steadily moved up, from being a perennial relegation candidate playing simple, pragmatic survival football to being safely entrenched in the upper lower half to qualifying for the EL, while playing football enjoyed and admired by all, and despite regularly selling off their best players. Which speaks well of the whole organisation, but there's no question Potter did a very impressive job.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

No you couldn't.

Houghton was great, he played very organised low block defensive football and kept us in the premier league for 2 seasons, but with that style of play we would never have got any higher and every season would have been about beating relegation.

Potter came in and changed that entirely, he changed us to an expansive and progressive style of football, it takes a bit of time (something Chelsea not to give) for that change to really take hold and he guided us to our highest ever position since we were founded in 1901. His work with Bloom, Ashworth and Barber changed the style of player we signed and developed and completely changed the way we played.

De Zerbi has come in and picked up where Potter left off, we were fourth when Potter left having just put 5 past Leicester, De Zerbi is brilliant and I'm over the moon he is our manager, but Potter was very very good as well and De Zerbi said that it was Potter that laid the groundwork for him to come in and tweak when he took over and thanked him again at the end of the season.

As much as I liked Houghton, the football we play today and the team we have is a million miles from his vision, but still intricately linked to Potters.