Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Hopefully he stays were he is, he’s been building something special at Brighton it’d be a shame if he left it now.

ChaddyP

Exactly. Even if he has a shocker he’ll still get a decent club again. Look at Moyes after his disastrous spell at Utd.
Let's look at Moyes indeed

After years of keeping Everton a top 6 club, went to united, bottled it after 8 months in charge, went to Sociadad where all he did was learn to count to five in Spanish, git sacked in a year... Went to Sunderland got them relegated and immediately got sacked at the end of the year, then went to West ham for 6 months after which they didn't renew his contract.

It was only after 2 years of pellegrini they called him back in And he got some stability with them.

Hal9000

Sky and Guardian reporting that Brighton have given him permission to speak to Chelsea.

Chief123

Let's look at Moyes indeed

After years of keeping Everton a top 6 club, went to united, bottled it after 8 months in charge, went to Sociadad where all he did was learn to count to five in Spanish, git sacked in a year... Went to Sunderland got them relegated and immediately got sacked at the end of the year, then went to West ham for 6 months after which they didn't renew his contract.

It was only after 2 years of pellegrini they called him back in And he got some stability with them.
The point is if you are good enough you’ll get a job again. A stint at Chelsea isn’t going to “ruin” him.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Hopefully he stays were he is, he’s been building something special at Brighton it’d be a shame if he left it now.
I think he should go and all he would have to do is look at Howie, when Howie's stock was high with Bournemouth he was linked to arsenal, then he dipped badly as he had taken them as far as they could go and now we are all expecting NUFC to sack him once things start to go wrong even though the squad is only just above average.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
This obviously seems like who we want. More importantly, I think the primary targets for DoF want him as well.

mu4c_20le

The point is if you are good enough you’ll get a job again. A stint at Chelsea isn’t going to “ruin” him.
Still a devastating enough setback for someone who already does not have alot of gravitas.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This obviously seems like who we want. More importantly, I think the primary targets for DoF want him as well.
It does seem a little odd to make these drastic changes without a DoF, I'm not gonna lie.

Chief123

I personally think Potter will become England manager after Southgate is done anyway.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Why are they letting him leave? They're doing really well at the moment.
More money for him as a coach, and he wants to advance in his career I'm assuming. Let him try it / fail potentially but its worth the risk.

It's like saying you as an employee are working at a decent company, but Microsoft or Google are offering you a role. Do you want to work at a better company and advance your career?

Vapor trail

Very uncharacteristic of Chelsea to go for someone like Potter, especially in mid-season. I'd probably be more worried if they went for Poch, who would be the more logical choice given his pedigree. He only got depressed after taking Spurs as far as he could, and their owner refused to refresh the squad.
The thing is if you give Poch the sole responsibility of coaching the team he does well. It's when there's the infamous coach / manager role when they take on too much responsibility and have too much of an influence.

Poch is currently the best and only more recent example of a manager who's made the transition from mid table (Southampton) to a bigger club that has challenged and obtained top four. The thing with football is that Potter has all the momentum while Poch has none. But irrespective I think both managers from Tuchel is a step down.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's happening. Couldn't Chelsea wait until they're out of the top 4, United-style.

Damn it.

Chief123

Would be nice, Southgates useless IMO
I think Southgate has done ok but it’s a shame we don’t have a more adventurous manager who can make use of a fantastic pool of players we have now. Especially attacking players.

We always used to be spoilt for brilliant defenders and not as much attacking ones. Now we have loads of attackers and limited in top quality defenders.

Lee565

He would be going into a bit of a mess behind the scene with big egos who may not take him seriously, that doesn't sound like a great platform for a manager like porter who is not a instant success guy that has experience of managing big names

Hal9000

Why are they letting him leave? They're doing really well at the moment.
Risky move to keep a manager who wants to leave though or mind if elsewhere. You can sub or keep a player out the team, what do you do with the person leading that team though?

Not saying he'll down tools, but unless he wants to stay himself It'll be brave to keep a manager that's not 100% committed.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He would be going into a bit of a mess behind the scene with big egos who may not take him seriously, that doesn't sound like a great platform for a manager like porter who is not a instant success guy that has experience of managing big names
Depends on his personality, I don't know a great deal about Potter but he's good tactically. Depends on his character.

Idxomer

I think this is done now, no way he goes back to Brighton except to say his goodbyes.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Poch may have a different thought. How he wish he hadn't taken that PSG job.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I personally think Potter will become England manager after Southgate is done anyway.
I can see that. Whether that is right for Potter I don't know, but I rate Potter very highly, and was my choice to replace Ole.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard walked straight into another PL job, a huge PL club at that. RDM ended up at Schalke, another CL club at the time, and Villa before eventually realising he's not that good at this. Being sacked by Chelsea isn't going to ruin anything. It may take time to get another chance a top 6 club, especially if the whole thing ends up being a disaster, but the idea that Potter would be ruined if it doesn't work out at Chelsea is absurd.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s never great for a manager like Potter, a systems rather than personality manager, to take a job mid-season. His playing philosophy takes time to ingrain, and patience will be required. I think that’s really hard to do mid season, especially in a season where the schedule is ridiculously truncated because of the winter World Cup. I think there’s a risk to him that the wheels fall off and he doesn’t last the season.

That said, I think he’s the best mid to long term appointment Chelsea could make. Rate him very very highly. I think it all just depends on whether they are willing to show patience. He could have an effect right away and they comfortably qualify for top 4, and compete in the cups. But if they don’t, and if it’s a bumpy road at first, will they give him time? If they aren’t willing to, then he’s the wrong appointment. If this is a ‘results now’ type of appointment, then I don’t think he’s the guy.

gza the genius

I think it'd be a bigger risk by Potter to not take the job. He's obviously a very good coach but I think part of the hype right now is how well Brighton have started this season. If they were sitting in 10th or so I don't think we'd be hearing as much noise about him as we are now. Same goes for if he decides to finish out the season with them and they end up midtable. His reputation is very good right now so it seems like the right time for him to make that step up because there's no guarantee he'll have the opportunity again.

ChaddyP

and my point is even if you are good enough going to the wrong club after being stable at a midtable club can totally tarnish and destablelise your career for a couple years running.

OverratedOpinion

I would imagine they put out feelers to him and would not have sacked Tuchel so soon if he had not sounded receptive.

NewYorkRed

Potter to chelsea, then. Interested to see how he does. Pretty happy that they’re getting a manager in with no top level experience. Even if he is good (who knows), it should take him time to get used to being at a big club, which will hopefully mean no top 4 for them this year. Then we’re just either a conte meltdown or arsenal collapse away from having a clear path to CL football. One or the other will obviously happen, always does.

BarcaSpurs

I guess the positive aspect for Chelsea is that Potters system will probably have the same starting line up as frequently seen under Tuchel, so probably not going to be the dramatic changes you'd want to avoid mid season.

Kepa
Fofana Silva Kouli
James Mount Jorginho Kovacic Cucurella
Havertz Sterling

certainly looks like a Potter sort of team.

Castia

Interesting one. Deserves the chance and plays some nice football.

It‘s a different world managing star players though as opposed to Welbeck (no disrespect) etc let’s see how he does

mu4c_20le

I guess the positive aspect for Chelsea is that Potters system will probably have the same starting line up as frequently seen under Tuchel, so probably not going to be the dramatic changes you'd want to avoid mid season.

Kepa
Fofana Silva Kouli
James Mount Jorginho Kovacic Cucurella
Havertz Sterling

certainly looks like a Potter sort of team.
I guess the obvious question here, is Potter better than Tuchel?

edcunited1878

Good for Potter, he's deserved his opportunity and challenge.

He'll be thrusted into the spotlight, get a chance to manage in the CL, and there's enough quality players for him to work with.

Only issue for him is not having that familiarity and footballing structure around him, which has made Brighton effective.