Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal would have been a perfect destination for Potter. Imagine the backing Potter got instead of an average manager like Arteta. Arsenal would have been in a much better place.
4 points clear at the top instead of 1 point clear? :p

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe that as well and probably finishing better in the league as well than 8,8 and 5. As well as playing better and superior football.
Let's not rewrite history here. I rate Potter highly and would have him at Arsenal no problem. But Brighton had finished 15th and 17th under Hughton.

Potter took over in 2019. Brighton then finished 15th and 16th under Potter.
Was only in his 3rd full season the league position drastically improved to 9th.
Don't forget, Brighton fans were booing the team a season or so back as well.

If anything, I think its an argument for showing patience with a manager if progress is being seen.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Good luck to Potter. Really likeable guy who has done incredibly well at Brighton. One of the hardest managerial jobs in English football though.

United Hobbit

Shame he's gone there as I think he's a good manager, however potentially better than Liverpool getting him when Klopp finally fecks off

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't get the xavi reference. Explain!
Barca hijacked a couple of the transfers we were supposedly close to completing. Hellhunter is making the joke that Barca just can't help themselves and will do it again here, hence the 'poor Xavi'.

Dr. StrangeHate

I think Potter will do well with them, but considering what a loose cannon Todd is, what is the record number of manager changes in a season for a PL club?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's got disaster written all over it which is a real shame as I like him. What a crazy risk from both sides (can see why Potter feels he cant turn it down though).

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Potter is a class manager, but has excelled in a setting where unknown gems are identified and the team performs above expectation/egos aren't an issue.

Not saying Chelsea have huge egos/players expecting to be the best, but I'm not sure Potter will command the immediate respect that Tuchel did coming in to replace Lampard.

MinGin

It is funny that PL manager move to another PL club in the same season. Especially in early of Sep!
Can he transform Chelsea well and manage the big club well under the pressure?Can he get enough time to perform and inject his tactics before he get fired?Can he manage some big name well?
It is interesting.

Idxomer

I think the biggest advantage of appointing Potter is how well he could integrate the young players they bought this season, those kids from Aston Villa and Inter could really shine under him.

If they give him the next two years without much meddling, he could create something special there.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Glad that he's getting his chance. Hasn't been an English manager at a top PL club for a long time.

Definitely risky though, but unless he absolutely bombs I don't think it'll hurt his chances of getting jobs after - other Chelsea managers seem just fine.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I wish him well if this is true, but not that well.
It will be interesting to see how the Chelsea squad take to him, or not.
One of the big reasons that some posters on here didn't want Potter at OT was that he wouldn't be able to handle the so called 'star' players, so if Potter does take over, then we will see how true that would have been.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
In one of my discussions last week with Religion I mentioned that I wanted to write something entitled Tuchel vs Mount. I was basically describing why I thought they would move on from Tuchel as soon as they had a DoF, probably before the winter window.

All of that is a moot point now, but this highlights that it was only a surprise in that it was a month or two earlier than expected. I wasn’t the only one who felt that way.

But people are misreading the “why”. Roman was super ruthless, and it was all results driven. Boehly’s group want to have the right person for their project, the one they’ve chosen.

They have been through this before. In that situation they actually liked Mattingly, but he was the incumbent manager, and it never really gel’d or felt like their project, and trying to do the same things just with more money wasn’t working. Mattingly was baseball royalty. They eventually signed “their” guy, and even through a few disappointing seasons he has been the manager for 6? Years now?

They specifically said in interviews at the time that the fact they didn’t hire Mattingly always came up as an issue in the relationship with the new owners.

With coaches THEY hire, Clearlake does not have a reputation for quick triggers. The manager they hired was well thought of in baseball, but not a big name. Roberts had only managed for one year with the Padres before getting the Dodgers job.

This all looks a little Deja Vu to me. Except, unlike Mattingly, I don’t think they care for Tuchel.

The Ronaldo stuff is just silly. First, Boehly doesn’t make unilateral decisions for the ownership group: so him “needing” a particular player would probably carry little weight. Second, they agreed to not go for Ronaldo, and they made the decision to go for Potter before they ever saw Auba play. Third, there were MUCH more serious issues in their relationship:

They don’t like how he plays. Even when we were winning it wasnt exactly fun to watch. Without Kante, they struggle to find a place for Mount (a key academy graduate and already a team leader) in Tuchels system.

I personally think the handshake incident with Conte was an issue for them.

There WERE issues where things came to a head during the transfer window, but the most serious ones involved them feeling like Tuchel blindsided them. On Chelsea content sites news was coming out that Boehly was trying to block a Tuchel sanctioned sale of Gilmour and was supposedly … not happy. That was about two hours before Gilmour sale was announced. Tuchel had told them we were “fine” in midfield only a few weeks earlier, and had told them to hold off on making a bid for Sangare in June. It left them completely out of sorts deadline day.

I can believe Boehly was interested in Ronaldo, but that being the prime issue …. the timing is wrong. Your media just like the clicks for Ronaldo stories I think.

If Potter does come I believe he will be supported. Chelsea are apparently interested in making one of Potters staff the new head scout… a position they just made available just under a week ago. I believe them when they say the DoF will be in place soon.

There is more thought that went into this than people are realizing. If I had to guess, Tuchels been a lame duck for at least two weeks. And yes, that means this probably didn’t come as a “shock” to Graham Potter.

Boehly and Clearlake have never had a reputation of being difficult to work with. Tuchel has had that reputation at every place he has been to, hasn’t he? If Roman was still in charge I would feel different about letting Tuchel go, because he knew what he was getting when he hired him. But new owners don’t generally keep incumbent coaches. They almost always end up wanting “their” guy. Tuchel will get a golden parachute and land some where great. And the Damacles sword hanging over the Chelsea Clearlake project can get put away, and the effort started in earnest. When you know something is inevitable, just do it.
No disrespect but most of your posts just read like fan fiction. And a not very consistent one, at that.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
This doesn’t mean a manager is bad, it just means fans are stupid.
Perhaps, yes, sometimes that's true. That wasn't my only point I made in my post mind you.

People have no way of telling how he'd have got on at Arsenal, who had a structure at the time far worse than he had at Brighton behind him. It's all just hypothetical so a silly argument.

I say all this as someone who rates the man as well. If Boehly allows him time and patience, and isn't too knee jerk at the first sign of issues, I think he will do well. I also think now Boehly has his man, unless something major goes wrong on the pitch or with their relationship, he won't be as trigger happy.

As I said yesterday, I think Boehly will be keen he's not Roman 2.0 in that regard, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Potter gets a 4 or 5 yr deal as a 'statement'.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
All solved in one day.

Good choice.

Potter is talented and knows the league and Chelsea players well.

He will bring his staff and be well supported.

Just give me something of joy watching a Chelsea game again.

Goodbye soporifics.

The Purley King

Wonder how long his contract will be for? I'd definitely be looking for substantial pay-off clauses in the event of a sacking.