Graham Potter appointed Chelsea manager

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
All solved in one day.

Good choice.

Potter is talented and knows the league and Chelsea players well.

He will bring his staff and be well supported.

Just give me something of joy watching a Chelsea game again.

Goodbye soporifics.
Thought you Chelsea fans loved Tuchel? There were loads on here convincing us the football is fine to watch, that the rest of us were wrong when it was said they weren't a great watch.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Very intrigued to see what he's really made of now.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Not sure if this is the right move for Potter. Chelsea are a bit of a mess and it can't be easy taking over a month into a new season with the fixture pile up and the World Cup break in November. He will need time to build but I'm not sure the owner is patient enough and I don't think they currently have a good enough structure above to support him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Gutted he has gone there. Type of guy that doesn’t deserve to get sacked.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Its one of the best managerial jobs in football. Come in, win things, get sacked, get paid a feckload to keep your mouth shut about it.
I thought something about this too.

Potter losing his Job at United would likely not get him another top job in the top 6.

Potter losing his job at Chelsea - especially after earning a top 4 league standing would more likely get chances at other clubs even if he gets sacked.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Thought you Chelsea fans loved Tuchel? There were loads on here convincing us the football is fine to watch, that the rest of us were wrong when it was said they weren't a great watch.
@non profit football has been raging against Tuchel in the Chelsea thread for a while now. He's been consistent with his views. Unsurprisingly, he's very happy with yesterday's developments.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Barca hijacked a couple of the transfers we were supposedly close to completing. Hellhunter is making the joke that Barca just can't help themselves and will do it again here, hence the 'poor Xavi'.
Gotcha :D

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And no one would blame you. Other than him it has indeed been a while. Sherwood being the last one before him perhaps?
Sheerwood, Redknapp, Roy Hodgson was the last of the 'big boys'.

Really not a great amount of English coaches reach the top - so for this reason i'd like Potter to do well (but not too well :p )

Infra-red

I really like(d) Potter, but unfortunately, it is now my duty to hate him. Feck you, Potter, I hope your team is relegated (and then you become the England manager, because you are very good).

A couple of my friends are Brighton fans - needless to say, they are gutted (and a bit worried). The whole team has been built exactly to Potter's specification and another manager is going to find it difficult to get anything like the same level of performance from these players. Unless they go and get Pochettino or someone of that ilk, I fear for them.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Good manager, will he be given the time to rebuild?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
No. He'll be gone inside of 18 months. But he'll get CL experience, a sackload of money and a raised profile.
I dont think so under this Chelsea ownership, if that was the case they would've hired a seasoned manager not someone like potter who, despite doing well, is totally unproven at the top level. I think they'll give him time to rebuild.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Sheerwood, Redknapp, Roy Hodgson was the last of the 'big boys'.

Really not a great amount of English coaches reach the top - so for this reason i'd like Potter to do well (but not too well :p )
Christ, totally forgot at Woy!

It is really strange how English coaches don't make it at the highest level so often.

Skills

Snitch
I dont think so under this Chelsea ownership, if that was the case they would've hired a seasoned manager not someone like potter who, despite doing well, is totally unproven at the top level. I think they'll give him time to rebuild.
Yeah the american sports model is long tenured coaches. In the MLB for instance there are 7 managers who've been there since 2015. Klopp is the only in the PL.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Christ, totally forgot at Woy!

It is really strange how English coaches don't make it at the highest level so often.
I can only think of the language barrier? majority of top class players these days are french/spanish/portuguese speaking, and unfortunately we English don't speak foreign languages too well.

In the past we've always been slow to adapt to modern tactics too. 4-4-2 long ball init.

redcucumber

Boehly insisting and getting upset at Tuchel standing his ground on Ronaldo doesn't bode well, does it? He sounds incredibly hands-on and like he wants to micromanage to an extent so it'll be interesting to see how Potter navigates that.

Last edited:

cyberman

He’ll be gone before end of this season, calling it now.
Chelsea aren’t doing a reset, they want someone to mould the players they have now and the players they have not aren’t suited to Potter ball.
Brighton struggled at home last season v teams low and compact. 16th in the home table last season. Good luck with this squad.
Also seems like it’s an appointment for the good form from this season. Went through their results last year and they went on a stretch of 3 wins from 25 league game. It doesn’t seem as solid of an appointment that it’s made out to be

Last edited:

romufc

Potter has done really well at Brighton with little expectation.

He is now going into a club with massive expectations, ala Moyes to United.

I know Potter has a more defined playstyle and will probably better than Moyes.

He is in going to a club that has title aspirations, CL aspirations.

There are still alot of question marks, I still rate him highly as a manager.

Telsim

This sucks. The second another good team comes out of nowhere they get immediately torn apart by the big ones. I know we've been complicit too and it's just how the game works, but it sucks nonetheless. Brighton were doing so well under him. I suspect they will be fighting relegation after 2 more windows.

The Firestarter

Glad that he's getting his chance. Hasn't been an English manager at a top PL club for a long time.

Definitely risky though, but unless he absolutely bombs I don't think it'll hurt his chances of getting jobs after - other Chelsea managers seem just fine.
2 years long time?

The Firestarter

I really like(d) Potter, but unfortunately, it is now my duty to hate him. Feck you, Potter, I hope your team is relegated (and then you become the England manager, because you are very good).

A couple of my friends are Brighton fans - needless to say, they are gutted (and a bit worried). The whole team has been built exactly to Potter's specification and another manager is going to find it difficult to get anything like the same level of performance from these players. Unless they go and get Pochettino or someone of that ilk, I fear for them.
Finally a club on Pochetino's level.

The Firestarter

He knows what he's getting into.

Tuchel had these owners lumped on him so i can understand any frustrations he may have had, Potter is choosing them so no excuses.
I am sure Potter will find working with Cristiano delightful as well.

BorisManUtd

I expected Potter to go to a bigger club next summer but it happening right now is shame as we won't see him continue this season with Brighton and they've started it brilliantly, who knows how high would they finish on PL table in May.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This sucks. The second another good team comes out of nowhere they get immediately torn apart by the big ones. I know we've been complicit too and it's just how the game works, but it sucks nonetheless. Brighton were doing so well under him. I suspect they will be fighting relegation after 2 more windows.
Hopefully :)

arthurka

I think you are jumping to conclusion here, we know nothing about them and their sacking of Tuchel was pretty much jumping the gun at a very strange time. If the plan was to get a young new manager in wouldn't it be better to do so when the last season finished so you could spend 300m on players your new manager wants? But who cares I don't like Potter anymore and hope the new owners get Chelsea relegated and bankrupt. Am I doing this right?